IGNORED

(CW: CSA) Josh & Anna 44 - Fate in the hands of the jury

HerNameIsBuffy

Just now, libgirl2 said:

Yea, the might not have gotten a lot of time to deliberate with lunch and all the perliminaries. 

What else are they going to talk about over lunch?

Guess they don't work OT.  

20 minutes ago, SimplyMe said:

I stupidly got the booster the day before my birthday - I really thought I wouldn’t react.  I had lunch and dinner plans that had to be cancelled because I was laid up in bed.  

Honestly though, I’m glad I did it when I did because I happened to drive by a drive-up vaccine site and asked if I needed an appt - they said I didn’t, so I got it done then and there.  No anxious, sleepless nights worrying about it, which was nice. 

I got my 1st jab actually on my birthday back in April! I'd been rejected from several walk-in places (under 40) but happened to be in a Superdrug (health and beauty store for those outside of the UK) and overheard a couple asking the attendant at the vaccine booth. It was my only birthday gift and honestly the only one I wanted. I took the most ridiculous selfie with the nurse to celebrate. 

Both were AZ and my booster is booked a couple days before Christmas. It's actually on a work day so hopefully I feel fine as I work the following day too. 

Felt not great after the first one and had a headache for a week. Second one I had the best night's sleep in years. Assuming this one will be Pfizer. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 6

2 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

Yes, that seems to me to indicate we can’t really read anything into it. Lawyer on Reddit said if jury stays late, they are close, but if they ask to go home, could indicate moving toward hung jury. But if the judge called them back in, it could mean he just wants to close up shop for the night.

I remember with the Kyle Rittenhouse case, people were assuming he would be guilty because the jury deliberated for several days. That didn't happen. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 7

1 minute ago, Antimony said:

Four hours is not a lot in jury deliberation time, plus there was lunch in there somewhere and loads of paperwork. 

I agree!  There was a lot of information provided in the trial so it takes time to go through the info and come to a unanimous decision.  When you sit on a jury you feel the pressure to make sure you get it right so you want to review all the evidence.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Sister Mozz said:

The Sun also says the jurors have asked to be dismissed for the night.

It is almost 5:30 PM.   But yeah, some “unreasonable doubts” may have slipped in.  I bet it is the damn router and the alleged DC thumb drive. 

ETA: I am probably being pessimistic, but the “magical distant log-in” defense is right up there with “the dog ate my homework,” and I know too many people who might believe the government planted evidence

ETA2: I am encouraged by comments that it was the judge who sent them home, not the jury who decided there was too much disagreement to proceed.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by EmCatlyn
Update my response
  • Sad 1

Just now, neuroticcat said:

Jim Bob is going to allow your adjournment.

I'm printing this out and submitting it in the morning 🤣

• Haha 16

7 minutes ago, Keys said:

Did you take anything for it while pregnant? Going to monitor my temp and take Tylenol if I spike a fever, but then I also don’t feel great taking Tylenol with the new research out about its use in pregnancy, ugh

Right. They had to take our Tylenol from us! I waited it out until I got a fever and then took Tylenol. Only needed two or three doses total. And I think the new research says that as long as you don’t take it consistently for more than two weeks that it’s Ok.  And basically the risk of having a fever is a greater risk to your fetus then taking the Tylenol. So try not to worry too much! 

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I heard a podcast where they had the demographics - I'll try and find it as I don't recall any except there was a graphic designer.

Probably the sojo podcast. I think they were the only one there

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

What else are they going to talk about over lunch?

Guess they don't work OT.  

IDK anything about federal, but juries I’ve been on lunch is on your own and you are told to be back at x time. I wonder if federal is different?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, MedicineWoman said:

Probably the sojo podcast. I think they were the only one there

Two guys from Arkansas?  Was the first and only time I'd listened and I have no idea what I did with my phone.

Just now, Destiny said:

IDK anything about federal, but juries I’ve been on lunch is on your own and you are told to be back at x time. I wonder if federal is different?

They brought them lunch in the jury room.  That's how they did it with OJ too.

I am not a lawyer.  

• Upvote 2

Well, let's just go with: the judge thought it be better if they keep reviewing evidence and discussion after a night of sleep, not somewhat delirious, and it does not say anything about them not having reached a verdict, but only that they are taking their time and doing their job thoroughly (I am sure I spelled that wrong, but..?!)

See you guys tomorrow, and thanks for answering my question and good luck to everyone getting their booster soon. May you all only have as little side effects as I did (sore arm for a couple of hours)

Good night everyone :)

• Upvote 14
  • Love 10

3 minutes ago, mstee said:

Right. They had to take our Tylenol from us! I waited it out until I got a fever and then took Tylenol. Only needed two or three doses total. And I think the new research says that as long as you don’t take it consistently for more than two weeks that it’s Ok.  And basically the risk of having a fever is a greater risk to your fetus then taking the Tylenol. So try not to worry too much! 

Thank you!!! That was my understanding regarding fever being worse, too. Bought a thermometer on the way home from my appointment, so I’m set to go haha :) 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

They brought them lunch in the jury room.  That's how they did it with OJ too.

Personally, i wouldn’t want to eat while having those conversations. Wouldn’t want any wires crossed. Interesting though. I’ve obviously never been on something high profile. 

Edited by Destiny
  • Upvote 6

Just now, Freejin said:

Are we panicking?? Why didn’t they reach a verdict??

Nope, no panic.  The judge called them back in at 5.  They decided to adjourn until the morning.  I wouldn’t panic.  These things take time.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

8 minutes ago, 3KidsAndStopped said:

Screenshot_20211208-231538_Twitter.jpg

I agree with @3KidsAndStopped that this recess seems to have been initiated by the judge. Perhaps he didn't want the jury to go too late into the night with their deliberations, which seems pretty fair to them considering what they're dealing with. They've only been deliberating for a few hours and have literally a week's worth of extremely dense, troubling, and serious testimony to sort through. I think he did the right thing - let them pick up again when they've had a good night's sleep (or, as good as they can get under the circumstances). 

I too was hoping for a quick decision today, but didn't really expect one. I'm a former county prosecutor and I've seen far, far simpler cases deliberate for much longer than this. Obviously it would have been awesome if they came back with a guilty in an hour or so, but juries rarely do that, in my own limited experience, and this shows me that they're taking their job seriously and looking at everything presented to them.

On a lighter note, I'm usually a lurker here but truly appreciate the thoughtful and kind way that everyone's been discussing this case. I know waiting on this verdict is anxiety inducing for many, and I hope you all practice some good self care this evening! Personally, I'm breaking my no-wine-during-the-week rule and getting some sort of takeout with lots of calories. 😉

• Upvote 30
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 13

8 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I'm printing this out and submitting it in the morning 🤣

I was told you just announce it to the judge? 😏

• Haha 14
  • I Agree 1

My reactions to (Pfizer) 1, 2, and 3 were minimal—just a sore injection site and armpit for less than 24 hours with 3—but I keep hearing that the older you are, the milder your side effects will be, so pushing 70 seems to be on my side!

I’m glad the jury will be going home to get a good night’s sleep (one can hope). I can’t follow this thread and crochet at the same time!

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Destiny said:

Personally, i wouldn’t want to eat while having those conversations. Wouldn’t want any wires crossed. Interesting though. I’ve obviously never been on something high profile. 

I've been through too many audits and work meetings where people want to chat at lunch rather than work.  I'd be strongly suggesting it be a working lunch.  If I were ever on a jury I'd be the first person murdered by fellow jurors while deliberating.

• Haha 12

13 minutes ago, imokit said:

A bit of unscientific googling is reassuring.

A quick verdict is usually innocent - there was doubts.

To do their job properly for a guilty verdict, they need to go over all the evidence (which in this case is long and technical) and then come to conclusions.

They haven't been in long considering.

Yeah personally I'm surprised so many people are immediately jumping to conclusions. It is not a small thing to condemn a man to potentially 20 years in prison. You need to be thorough. It takes several hours at least.

• Upvote 21

Just now, BernRul said:

Yeah personally I'm surprised so many people are immediately jumping to conclusions. It is not a small thing to condemn a man to potentially 20 years in prison. You need to be thorough. It takes several hours at least.

It’s Josh Duggar, I see no man. 

I’m being snarky, I know what you mean.

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, boston2495 said:

I agree with @3KidsAndStopped that this recess seems to have been initiated by the judge. Perhaps he didn't want the jury to go too late into the night with their deliberations, which seems pretty fair to them considering what they're dealing with. They've only been deliberating for a few hours and have literally a week's worth of extremely dense, troubling, and serious testimony to sort through. I think he did the right thing - let them pick up again when they've had a good night's sleep (or, as good as they can get under the circumstances). 

I too was hoping for a quick decision today, but didn't really expect one. I'm a former county prosecutor and I've seen far, far simpler cases deliberate for much longer than this. Obviously it would have been awesome if they came back with a guilty in an hour or so, but juries rarely do that, in my own limited experience, and this shows me that they're taking their job seriously and looking at everything presented to them.

On a lighter note, I'm usually a lurker here but truly appreciate the thoughtful and kind way that everyone's been discussing this case. I know waiting on this verdict is anxiety inducing for many, and I hope you all practice some good self care this evening! Personally, I'm breaking my no-wine-during-the-week rule and getting some sort of takeout with lots of calories. 😉

Also, the judge just may want to keep more regular hours. I mean, I know this is a relatively public trial and WE are all on pins and needles, but the judge deals with serious cases all the time. So he may be perfectly reasonably not wanting to keep everyone hovering around the courthouse all night.

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I've been through too many audits and work meetings where people want to chat at lunch rather than work.  I'd be strongly suggesting it be a working lunch.  If I were ever on a jury I'd be the first person murdered by fellow jurors while deliberating.

I mean, at work sure. I just personally would not want to be discussion CSAM while eating.

Imma puker y’all. It’s how my body deals with stress.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

I'm a pretty strong anti-working-lunch proponent. Ruins the food. I mean, not really, but as good as something tastes, it tastes better while not working. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 6

Just now, Antimony said:

I'm a pretty strong anti-working-lunch proponent. Ruins the food. I mean, not really, but as good as something tastes, it tastes better while not working. 

I’m anti working while not being paid in general. I typically won’t do it, and I actually do take my entire lunch away from the desk these days. It’s huge personal growth for me. I’m finally learning to work to live, not the reverse.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 12

• HerNameIsBuffy locked and unlocked this topic
  • HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic