IGNORED

"M" Is for Mama 12: Birth Control Should Have Been Your BFF

nelliebelle1197

I had a nice dinner and after seeing Braggie’s stories, I’m about to barf. She has insecurity issues because NO one talks like this about themselves…

2ABABA1E-ACE0-42B3-8247-9506BDA4345C.thumb.jpeg.2329db00fae5659064d6cef847364d19.jpeg

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Disgust 2
  • Eyeroll 18
  • WTF 2

There are plenty of shitty published writers in the world with English degrees.  Congrats Braggie, you have now joined their ranks.

ETA: you can read an excerpt from the first chapter on Christian Book dot com.  It's the same overblown word diarrhea she spews on her blog and IG.  Harvest House is not too discerning, and/or they're desperate for new authors.

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I had a nice dinner and after seeing Braggie’s stories, I’m about to barf. She has insecurity issues because NO one talks like this about themselves…

2ABABA1E-ACE0-42B3-8247-9506BDA4345C.thumb.jpeg.2329db00fae5659064d6cef847364d19.jpeg

I usually try to focus on critiquing ideas or even make observations, but will get personal on this one - she is just overflowing with wildly obtuse self promotion. How how how does she not get “convicted” about all the Bible verses about not thinking more highly of yourself than you ought?

1. I don’t believe this. No college ever fails you for one fragment or comma splice (which isn’t a term). The whole story is 🙄so her mom wrote sentences in her paper, but not really, but yes, and her mom was perfect at grammar, but so was she, so she should have failed but didn’t becuse she was perfect.

2. Wow does she have a thing for announcing she was younger than average when she did things.

3. So…she wrote a novel with herself as the main character?

4. There are quite a few missed commas in this post 🧐

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 28
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, danvillebelle said:

There are plenty of shitty published writers in the world with English degrees.  Congrats Braggie, you have now joined their ranks.

ETA: you can read an excerpt from the first chapter on Christian Book dot com.  It's the same overblown word diarrhea she spews on her blog and IG.  Harvest House is not too discerning, and/or they're desperate for new authors.

Skimmed the first chapters. A whole book of Abbie judging whilst setting herself up as an example, using her contradictory when-I-am-mediocre-it-means-I-am-relatable but when-you-are-mediocre-it-means-you-should-level-up-your-Christianity voice sounds tedious.

In chapter one we get the reminder she has parented eight 3 year olds, she doesn’t wash her curly hair, there are things she cares about in your parenting and things she doesn’t, she knows what her readers will think when they see her book, she has thoughts about mommy memes, and, whatever else you learn in this book, you should know that you should do hard things better.

Also, her editor failed her. This really needs a tidy up but maybe that’s for intentional bloggery informalvoice. I wonder since she got to pick her friend to do the art, and she got to record the audio book if Harvest is more like selfpubbing. Usually publishers do all of that in-house, and a debut author wouldn’t get a say. 

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 12

I doubt she's truly fluent in Spanish.  Who does she speak with on a regular basis that's a native Spanish speaker? A housekeeper she doesn't mention having? She doesn't seem the type to go outside her bubble, especially if she started teaching HS Spanish at 19.

Okay Peggy Hill....

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 10

5 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

I usually try to focus on critiquing ideas or even make observations, but will get personal on this one - she is just overflowing with wildly obtuse self promotion. How how how does she not get “convicted” about all the Bible verses about not thinking more highly of yourself than you ought?

This!!  Ever since I discovered Abbie’s IG years ago, that has been my recurring thought.  Where is the conviction?  Now, I absolutely understand that everyone will have different convictions about certain things throughout life, but when it comes to her pridefulness, arrogance, promotion of self, boastfulness, consumerism, and allllll the smug look-at-me-and-how-awesome-I-am selfies 🙄 while ‘PREACHING THE GOSPEL’ — I can’t help but notice the juxtaposition.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

My husband lived in Chile as a foreign exchange student and even he doesn’t like to say he’s fluent in Spanish. He’s constantly downplaying it. But he did fine when we went to Cancun and understood people speaking Spanish. 

I also want to add, I really thought she was 16 when she started college. I am probably remembering wrong because my memory isn’t what it used to be. But I could also see her lying.

3 minutes ago, QuiverFullOfGoats said:

This!!  Ever since I discovered Abbie’s IG years ago, that has been my recurring thought.  Where is the conviction?  Now, I absolutely understand that everyone will have different convictions about certain things throughout life, but when it comes to her pridefulness, arrogance, promotion of self, boastfulness, consumerism, and allllll the smug look-at-me-and-how-awesome-I-am selfies 🙄 while ‘PREACHING THE GOSPEL’ — I can’t help but notice the juxtaposition.  

It’s the same way for Jill Rod. Braggie is just the Anthro version of Jill.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

Braggie, as far as I can find, always says she graduated HS at 15 and started college, She never actually says she was 15 when she started college.

Case in point, I was 17 when I graduated HS, had a birthday in the summer and was 18 when I started college.  I could elide that and say I was 17 when I graduated HS and then started college.

Not exactly a heinous bald-faced lie, but not the truth either. Much like Braggie's writing/stories.

• Upvote 9

1 minute ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Braggie, as far as I can find, always says she graduated HS at 15 and started college, She never actually says she was 15 when she started college.

Case in point, I was 17 when I graduated HS, had a birthday in the summer and was 18 when I started college.  I could elide that and say I was 17 when I graduated HS and then started college.

Not exactly a heinous bald-faced lie, but not the truth either. Much like Braggie's writing/stories.

My husband and I both graduated at 17 and started college at 18. Her birthday is in October. So I suppose she could have started college in August or September  when she was close to 16, but still 15. And she could have started teaching at 19 in august or September and was about to turn 20. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

1. I don’t believe this. No college ever fails you for one fragment or comma splice (which isn’t a term). The whole story is 🙄so her mom wrote sentences in her paper, but not really, but yes, and her mom was perfect at grammar, but so was she, so she should have failed but didn’t becuse she was perfect.

2. Wow does she have a thing for announcing she was younger than average when she did things.

3. So…she wrote a novel with herself as the main character?

4. There are quite a few missed commas in this post 🧐

Methinks Braggie possesses delusions of grandeur, no?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 10

The fact that Braggie’s mom was editing her papers in college and adding things to her papers tells me she was too young to be in college. If her mother was that involved, she wasn’t ready. I’m guessing her mother loved the fact that Braggie was still living at home, underage, and under her control while she was in college. Braggie wasn’t able to spread her wings, explore, or grow independently from her mother. She was controlled during college and I’m guessing she will try to do the same with her own children. And will throw a huge fit if she isn’t able to. 

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 9

37 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The fact that Braggie’s mom was editing her papers in college and adding things to her papers tells me she was too young to be in college. If her mother was that involved, she wasn’t ready. I’m guessing her mother loved the fact that Braggie was still living at home, underage, and under her control while she was in college. Braggie wasn’t able to spread her wings, explore, or grow independently from her mother. She was controlled during college and I’m guessing she will try to do the same with her own children. And will throw a huge fit if she isn’t able to. 

Super good point. I wonder if her mom graded her students homework and tests. Probably helped her with lesson plans. I'd be horrified if my mom had anything to do with my college life. I earned my athletic scholarship, I did all my class selections and work.. she never saw or asked for my grades just asked how I was doing overall.

Hell I never had any help with high school, except she lent me her camera from art school in the 70s for photo class. She didn't finish high school but she's brilliant in her own ways. I helped my younger brothers with stuff they needed help with, the brother closer to my age the most, because of age and he needed more help. He'd been taken off an IEP in middle school because he was was such a sweet kid but still struggled academically (he's making 6 figures in computers now) 

But yeah, no way in hell would I be proud of acconishing anything as a teen or an adult if my mom was the one doing it for me and I definitely wouldn't brag about it online. Especially saying I was younger than the average. Having momma do you work negates that but momma and her oldest son do her parenting too and she never stops bragging about that!

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My husband and I both graduated at 17 and started college at 18. Her birthday is in October. So I suppose she could have started college in August or September  when she was close to 16, but still 15. And she could have started teaching at 19 in august or September and was about to turn 20. 

My birthday is in July so same here.  But I don't use obtuse language like Braggie to imply I did special things but not saying it outright because that would be lying. I was taught its the spirit behind it that counts and deception, technical or not, isn't righr... which is why I didn't become a narcissistic legalist fundie.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Also, her editor failed her. This really needs a tidy up but maybe that’s for intentional bloggery informalvoice.

I think some publishers are allowing this informal voice to go ahead because a) they are desperate for sales and b) sadly, it's what the average American attention span can handle.  They know that millions of people read IG posts and blog posts every day, so reading an entire book of them is plausible.

Braggie is like the aging former high school football star who keeps talking about the big game he won in his senior year when he's pushing 40.  She has to brag about college 25 years ago because her only "accomplishments" since then are pumping out a bunch of babies, half-assing two houses, doing a LOT of online shopping and preening, and shrewdly delegating responsibilities so that she looks like super mom but actually has a TON of help.  She says she doesn't care about the world's opinions, but she obviously desperately does, or she wouldn't list this crap.  

I would enjoy hate-reading the book just to pick it apart, however, there is no way in hell a penny of my money is going into her pocket, so it'll have to wait until I find it at a library or a thrift store. 

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My husband lived in Chile as a foreign exchange student and even he doesn’t like to say he’s fluent in Spanish. He’s constantly downplaying it. But he did fine when we went to Cancun and understood people speaking Spanish. 

Good for your husband! I'm sure he's just being humble because he's a good guy but also because he's smart and recognizes that being truly fluent in a second language is hard. I grew up Deaf with signed English taught to me and exposed to ASL from Deaf friends but not daily, I had to take ASL courses in colleges and I use ASL interpreters almost daily for doctors, counselors, school, etc. I understand it fluently but while advanced I'm hesitant to even say I sign ASL fluently myself because I don't think I do yet. And I'm 33. Fluency is more than just being able to say things you want, it's being able to say and understand nything even if you don't have need for it. Like I'm fluent in conversational ASL but 100% in ASL completely? Not quite.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

I think some publishers are allowing this informal voice to go ahead because a) they are desperate for sales and b) sadly, it's what the average American attention span can handle.  They know that millions of people read IG posts and blog posts every day, so reading an entire book of them is plausible.

Braggie is like the aging former high school football star who keeps talking about the big game he won in his senior year when he's pushing 40.  She has to brag about college 25 years ago because her only "accomplishments" since then are pumping out a bunch of babies, half-assing two houses, doing a LOT of online shopping and preening, and shrewdly delegating responsibilities so that she looks like super mom but actually has a TON of help.  She says she doesn't care about the world's opinions, but she obviously desperately does, or she wouldn't list this crap.  

I would enjoy hate-reading the book just to pick it apart, however, there is no way in hell a penny of my money is going into her pocket, so it'll have to wait until I find it at a library or a thrift store. 

It’s just pathetic that she constantly talks about the same accomplishments over and over again. When people bring up my high school accomplishments in conversation, I get embarrassed. It’s just so long ago! It feels like a lifetime ago. I don’t even feel like the same person. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 11

6 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s just pathetic that she constantly talks about the same accomplishments over and over again. When people bring up my high school accomplishments in conversation, I get embarrassed. It’s just so long ago! It feels like a lifetime ago. I don’t even feel like the same person

This is the reason I do not hang out with most of my HS peers. 40 years later they're still talking about the same shit. My life is infinitely more interesting now than it was then. I've accomplished a lot just in the last 2 years. 

• Upvote 8

I graduated at 16 by doubling up on classes and getting my GED during my junior year. It wasn’t an amazing feat and the educational “achievement” of it has had little impact on my life, and I can probably count on my hand the amount of times I’ve talked about it as an adult. (Looking back, I do regret not having a senior year for social and emotional development). But it’s especially less of an achievement if you are a homeschooler, because it just means your mom signed off on your credits. 

I imagine she was doing dual enrollment, so enrolled in community college classes during junior year. A public high school keeps those students enrolled, but a homeschooling parent could just declare you graduated. And dual enrollment could also mean you finish college early.

Edited by neuroticcat
  • Upvote 10

Graduating High School at 15 doesn't really sound like an achievement. The feasibility varies greatly with circumstance. For instance my high school did not allow skipping grades. The only way to graduate before 17 was to transfer in from a different district. It was a public high school, so your only other option was move, private school, or homeschool, and those aren't viable options for every family.

She reminds me of this guy I went to college with who kept rubbing it in everyone's face that he had the most AP credits. But there were plenty of students in our department high schools' who didn't offer AP classes at all, so like all that proved was he happened to be born and raised in a place where that was an option. Not exactly an achievement. Plus most of his credits didn't even count towards our major, so it didn't even really put him that far ahead.

Edited by TuringMachine
  • Upvote 9

I graduated 2 months after I turned 17. BFD! 40+ years later it doesn't matter one bit. 

• Upvote 11

She doesn’t admit to it but I bet she envies mothers with careers since she keeps bringing up accomplishments before she was a mom besides having 10 kids (2 sets of twins!). She keeps doing it as if she has something to prove… “I’m not like other Quiverfull moms!”

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 10

The really sad thing is I bet many of these women giving AH accolades about her life choices and recent book are likely really nice women. From how Abbie presents, she is not a very kind, friendly or supportive woman. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

20 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

No college ever fails you for one fragment or comma splice (which isn’t a term)

While it seems unlikely a teacher would fail a collegiate student for a single sentence fragment or comma splice, I feel like I have to defend the existence of the comma splice.

A comma splice is an instance of using a comma to link two independent clauses (which should instead be linked by a colon, semicolon, or conjunction), as in he loves baking, he's great at making desserts.

You use a comma to combine an independent and dependent clause. The misuse of a comma to combine two independent clauses creates a comma splice.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic