IGNORED

"M" Is for Mama 12: Birth Control Should Have Been Your BFF

nelliebelle1197

I will never get over the disgust I feel when parentification of children is not just thrown in our faces, but bragged about. Fundies just love to brag about their dutiful hardworking older children. I would never brag about robbing my children of their childhood and putting unnecessary stress on their shoulders. Zoo, Michelle, Kelly, Braggie, Snd many more have bragged about it. They should be ashamed. But no. Their culture pats them in the back for it. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I will never get over the disgust I feel when parentification of children is not just thrown in our faces, but bragged about. Fundies just love to brag about their dutiful hardworking older children. I would never brag about robbing my children of their childhood and putting unnecessary stress on their shoulders. Zoo, Michelle, Kelly, Braggie, Snd many more have bragged about it. They should be ashamed. But no. Their culture pats them in the back for it. 

My favorite argument for it is, but the kids love it! More likely they just don't know any better because caring for small children is all they've ever known. It doesn't help that they spank kids who aren't cheerfully helping and always thinking of others. Of course Ezra won't let the baby sit in a wet diaper while Abbie's busy on Instagram. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4

32 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

My favorite argument for it is, but the kids love it! More likely they just don't know any better because caring for small children is all they've ever known. It doesn't help that they spank kids who aren't cheerfully helping and always thinking of others. Of course Ezra won't let the baby sit in a wet diaper while Abbie's busy on Instagram. 

If someone said that to me, I would say, “do you love every minute of parenting? No? Then a 12 year old doesn’t either.” The older kids have no choice. But I do hope they make the choice when they are adults not to do the same thing to their own children. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 7

8 hours ago, anachronistic said:

I think Kendra Tierny is pretty close, but she also runs a full time business and only homeschools a few of her younger kids. She has a ton of outside help, too, including her parents, and her older kids are of course parentified.

She also has a housekeeper 5-days a week, 2 virtual assistants (college girls doing "internships"), and another woman managing her physical business.

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

49 minutes ago, QuaaludeDreams said:

She also has a housekeeper 5-days a week, 2 virtual assistants (college girls doing "internships"), and another woman managing her physical business.

Yeah, it’s easy to be a fundie mom of many when you’re wealthy.

• Upvote 10

In addition to her parentified children still at home (SisterMom Betty is the oldest at home), Kendra also has a nanny for the 2 youngest children not in "school".  Jack the oldest (and her fave) is living at college.

Interestingly Kendra has begun sending her children to Catholic school at younger ages that she originally did. At the start it was high school.  This year her 12 and 10 year-olds started.

Kendra has always had a full-time housekeeper and nanny. She has a full time business, a blog, Twitter, FB and numerous speaking and writing engagements.  I cannot imagine how she finds time to home school her 2 in elementary school.  Perhaps there is an unacknowledged tutor in the mix. She doesn't cop to the nanny and housekeeper, but the secret is definitely out there.   

Edited to add:  There a dormant thread here all about Kendra, her 1920s mansion (an actual mansion) and her home chapel.  Her hub is the CEO of some health company. so yes, they are wealthy

Edited by Red Hair, Black Dress
  • Upvote 10

23 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

In addition to her parentified children still at home (SisterMom Betty is the oldest at home), Kendra also has a nanny for the 2 youngest children not in "school".  Jack the oldest (and her fave) is living at college.

Interestingly Kendra has begun sending her children to Catholic school at younger ages that she originally did. At the start it was high school.  This year her 12 and 10 year-olds started.

Kendra has always had a full-time housekeeper and nanny. She has a full time business, a blog, Twitter, FB and numerous speaking and writing engagements.  I cannot imagine how she finds time to home school her 2 in elementary school.  Perhaps there is an unacknowledged tutor in the mix. She doesn't cop to the nanny and housekeeper, but the secret is definitely out there.   

Edited to add:  There a dormant thread here all about Kendra, her 1920s mansion (an actual mansion) and her home chapel.  Her hub is the CEO of some health company. so yes, they are wealthy

And don’t they live in Santa Monica or Malibu? So they live in a mansion in a very expensive area of the country. Tyler, TX, this is not. Sadly, her husband is quite ill, correct?

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I’m betting the nanny could double as a homeschool teacher. Or at least as the teaching assistant who does most of the work.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yeah, it’s easy to be a fundie mom of many when you’re wealthy.

I dunno, ask the Duggars how it all worked out fir them?

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Cults-r-us said:

I dunno, ask the Duggars how it all worked out fir them?

Wealthy and willing to spend the money! Jim Bob is such a tight wad. He should have spent more money on real tutors and cleaning help so his oldest daughters didn’t have to do it all. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Wealthy and willing to spend the money! Jim Bob is such a tight wad. He should have spent more money on real tutors and cleaning help so his oldest daughters didn’t have to do it all. 

Or he and his wife could have done the work themselves as neither one of them left the house for a paying job (or no more than their kids) much of their parenting years.

• Upvote 6

That post is —- just wow. Her publishers must love her intuitive ability to self promote.

The peak is the implication that her book is just straight up biblical wisdom. I wonder if there is an inner conflict at all - I mean, theoretically wouldn’t a fundie think it would have been better for all those curious moms to pick up their own Bibles and “research” (what, I wonder?) rather than scrolling Abbie’s Wednesday feed? 

If  her book is #1 in an Amazon category, I imagine there will be a lot of middle of the road Christian women reading this, too. I wonder if they will like the burdens of fundiespeak or not. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

I attempted to revive the Kendra Tierney thread and I thought I could do that by replying to it but I don’t see it in this forum so I’m confused. The thread is somewhere else now just lying on the beach gasping for breath.

• Haha 8

How fast do royalties start coming in?  I predict a super expensive, no holds barred vacation to happen this summer.  And/or her long lost European vacation will happen next year.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

How fast do royalties start coming in?  I predict a super expensive, no holds barred vacation to happen this summer.  And/or her long lost European vacation will happen next year.

My understanding is that royalties don't go to the author until after the advance has been recovered. 

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

If that’s the case, they had better not get PG and ruin the plan.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

If that’s the case, they had better not get PG and ruin the plan.

Agreed, but I think she's so obsessed with carting them all to Europe, she'd go PG or with a tiny baby.  

ETA: I don't remember if this has been mentioned here before, but *Shaun* gave her book a glowing review on GoodReads.  Last August, so it's obviously him.  🙄

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, theotherelise said:

My understanding is that royalties don't go to the author until after the advance has been recovered. 

Advance must be earned back, and then royalty checks usually come twice a year or every quarter (depending on the publishing house) for the previous period. So if her publisher is on a 6 mo. rotation, she won’t get a royalty statement until the fall for the Jan to June period. It’s pretty rare for a debut book to earn back the advance in first period, but it really depends on whether she got a big advance or not.

Today’s post is just cruel. B232FBCC-6EDF-4C77-804D-42F5043EAA26.thumb.jpeg.3a9905b8056b6369285fc3357bef5dda.jpeg

I mean, just, why? It is not a playful pun on the opening line of P and P and doesn’t really make any sense given the playful meaning of the original quote. It’s like plugging in “sin nature” and “mama“ (both which personally trigger the heck out of me) with a classic novel b/c literature!!!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • WTF 5

8 hours ago, neuroticcat said:

Advance must be earned back, and then royalty checks usually come twice a year or every quarter (depending on the publishing house) for the previous period. So if her publisher is on a 6 mo. rotation, she won’t get a royalty statement until the fall for the Jan to June period. It’s pretty rare for a debut book to earn back the advance in first period, but it really depends on whether she got a big advance or not.

Today’s post is just cruel. B232FBCC-6EDF-4C77-804D-42F5043EAA26.thumb.jpeg.3a9905b8056b6369285fc3357bef5dda.jpeg

I mean, just, why? It is not a playful pun on the opening line of P and P and doesn’t really make any sense given the playful meaning of the original quote. It’s like plugging in “sin nature” and “mama“ (both which personally trigger the heck out of me) with a classic novel b/c literature!!!!!

So did she somehow not get that the line was sarcastic or did she just not read the book and just picked a random famous quote?

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

So did she somehow not get that the line was sarcastic or did she just not read the book and just picked a random famous quote?

Maybe all three? It’s so off.

This was the intro, so I guess being a literature nerd means rewritung quotes.

“You know you’re a full-on literature nerd when you just had to work a reference to one of your favorite books into the intro of #misformamabook. 

Do you recognize it?”

Drop your best guess below! (Try not to cheat by seeing the other comments 😅)

Also…

LAST DAY TO PRE-ORDER bc Launch Day is TOMORROW! 

(Link in profile)

• Eyeroll 5

1 hour ago, neuroticcat said:

You know you’re a full-on literature nerd when you just had to work a reference to one of your favorite books into the intro of #misformamabook

Or you lusted after Colin Firth and watched the DVDs multiple times. For some reason I don't see her as a reader at all.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Or you lusted after Colin Firth and watched the DVDs multiple times. For some reason I don't see her as a reader at all.

Or she only read in high school or college. And as a typical fundie, she loves Jane Austen even though she doesn’t understand that some of it is satire. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 4

Exactly.  Knowing any quote from P and P doesn't make you a "literature nerd".  All the filmed versions of it are immensely popular and it's been on t shirts and mugs for decades.  Tell me about some of your favorites that aren't on every college and high school reading list, NERD.

And her insufferability quotient ramped up to eleventy begins...NOW.  She has to share every positive word someone says about her book in her IG stories, along with the fact that she "woke up to 5 star reviews."  From Jennifer Flanders and your other leghumpers, yes.  I can't wait for someone who has actual biblical knowledge and who isn't her stripe of christian to review her book.  

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic