IGNORED

Remnant Fellowship 22: The Great & Powerful Oz-Lizabeth

nelliebelle1197

On 4/28/2022 at 8:03 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I want one of these 3 to play Gwen:

Toni Collette

Meryl Streep

Sharon Stone

I think all of them could play Gwen. Elizabeth could probably be played by Elle Fanning. Rob Lowe could probably do a good job playing Joe. Maybe Zac Efron for Michael. 

While I love these three actors and think they would do the role justice, I have to say my pick for GS would be one of the following three:

Christine Baranski

Kristin Chenoweth

Cheryl Hines

The roles for the males I definitely would leave the same as mentioned. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, DarkSideofHeaven said:

While I love these three actors and think they would do the role justice, I have to say my pick for GS would be one of the following three:

Christine Baranski

Kristin Chenoweth

Cheryl Hines

I like those three actresses too. 

I watched the new episodes and thought they were well done.  I will say that my one critique is that no mention was ever made of Elizabeth's PAINFULLY obvious anorexia/eating disorder descent.  Even when they were interviewing her former childhood friends and showing pictures of her young and very healthy, it wasn't brought up.  

I personally think one of the reasons Elizabeth has not stepped up into any kind of Gwen-like leadership is that she's not physically capable of it.  She's too frail. Gwen was rail thin also of course, but she seemed to have a bit more of a wiry, strong build.  Elizabeth always looks like she'd shatter if the wind blew on her too strongly.

Edited by danvillebelle
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

1 hour ago, danvillebelle said:

I watched the new episodes and thought they were well done.  I will say that my one critique is that no mention was ever made of Elizabeth's PAINFULLY obvious anorexia/eating disorder descent.  Even when they were interviewing her former childhood friends and showing pictures of her young and very healthy, it wasn't brought up.  

I personally think one of the reasons Elizabeth has not stepped up into any kind of Gwen-like leadership is that she's not physically capable of it.  She's too frail. Gwen was rail thin also of course, but she seemed to have a bit more of a wiry, strong build.  Elizabeth always looks like she'd shatter if the wind blew on her too strongly.

I’m guessing they just let pictures tell the story. Because anyone watching could see that she looked healthy an vibrant in high school. And pale and thinner now. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

On 4/28/2022 at 1:52 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

The documentary also mentioned Michael filing for divorce from Erin. It sounds like they are still in the middle of divorcing and it’s not final yet. Of course this happened after Gwen died so they

I believe the divorce is final and Erin with her kids moved (same city) and are still in Remnant

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

9 minutes ago, DietCherryCoke76 said:

I believe the divorce is final and Erin with her kids moved (same city) and are still in Remnant

So Michael stayed in their home and Erin moved to a new home in Brentwood? I knew she would stay in RF. She was all in. I’m betting she will be quietly remarried by the end of 2023. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So Michael stayed in their home and Erin moved to a new home in Brentwood? I knew she would stay in RF. She was all in. I’m betting she will be quietly remarried by the end of 2023. 

I bet the new marriage is already in the works!

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 1

23 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I bet the new marriage is already in the works!

Probably. I don’t think it will be a big showy wedding. It will be quiet. Then she will be put in the spotlight again with a new first and last name. Remember how they were calling her Elle? Instead of Erin Shamblin she will be “Elle Jones” or whatever her new husband’s last name is. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • WTF 2

21 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I’m guessing they just let pictures tell the story. Because anyone watching could see that she looked healthy an vibrant in high school. And pale and thinner now. 

This. I surmise that they (HBO lawyers) were toting a fine line to prevent them from being open to some sort of legal / slander / defamation suit. Keeping that in mind, I would imagine the upcoming series would allow more freedom to explore this subject under the pretense of “artistic recreation”. 

• Upvote 7

Although it was interesting to watch, the final two segments of The Way Down didn’t really offer anything much more than I already knew. 

To me, Elisabeth looks creepy. To members of this cult, Gwen had a charisma that appealed to them. She started out looking like a mom you’d see in your own neighborhood or volunteering at the grade school. She gradually morphed into her over-the-top persona playing up the ultra-feminine aspect: huge platinum blonde hair, lots of make-up, flashy jewelry, designer-looking clothes. And of course, being rail thin. She seemed to want to portray a real-life fairytale princess. I think that was part of her appeal to her followers. Her appearance made her iron-fisted ruling of the cult more digestible to them. They thought if they followed her mandates, they, too, could live that fairytale life.

Elisabeth does not have that appeal. She reminds me of Sissy Spacek in Carrie. Sickly looking. She’s actually hard to look at.

The audio at the end of Way Down with Elisabeth preaching to the congregation made me wonder if RF enhanced her voice to make her sound more like her mother. I don’t think Elisabeth has the stage presence to pull off a leadership position in person so they resorted to her disembodied voice. That way people could envision Gwen speaking through her daughter.  More smoke and mirrors to try to keep the cult from deteriorating. 

I don’t know how anyone could experience the sudden tragic deaths of both their mother and husband in a plane crash, along with five other people you were very familiar with, and not need to step back and take time to reassess everything and simply deal with your grief and find healing. The needs of the congregation would be the last of my concerns. I would think a mother in Elisabeth’s position would need to be there for her children who’d be having a hard time with the loss of their father and grandmother. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Cam said:

Although it was interesting to watch, the final two segments of The Way Down didn’t really offer anything much more than I already knew. 

To me, Elisabeth looks creepy. To members of this cult, Gwen had a charisma that appealed to them. She started out looking like a mom you’d see in your own neighborhood or volunteering at the grade school. She gradually morphed into her over-the-top persona playing up the ultra-feminine aspect: huge platinum blonde hair, lots of make-up, flashy jewelry, designer-looking clothes. And of course, being rail thin. She seemed to want to portray a real-life fairytale princess. I think that was part of her appeal to her followers. Her appearance made her iron-fisted ruling of the cult more digestible to them. They thought if they followed her mandates, they, too, could live that fairytale life.

Elisabeth does not have that appeal. She reminds me of Sissy Spacek in Carrie. Sickly looking. She’s actually hard to look at.

The audio at the end of Way Down with Elisabeth preaching to the congregation made me wonder if RF enhanced her voice to make her sound more like her mother. I don’t think Elisabeth has the stage presence to pull off a leadership position in person so they resorted to her disembodied voice. That way people could envision Gwen speaking through her daughter.  More smoke and mirrors to try to keep the cult from deteriorating. 

I don’t know how anyone could experience the sudden tragic deaths of both their mother and husband in a plane crash, along with five other people you were very familiar with, and not need to step back and take time to reassess everything and simply deal with your grief and find healing. The needs of the congregation would be the last of my concerns. I would think a mother in Elisabeth’s position would need to be there for her children who’d be having a hard time with the loss of their father and grandmother. 

This is total speculation here. I sort of imagined Elizabeth immediately going back to Ashlawn after their deaths because that’s where her mom always was. That’s where she had a lot of happy memories with her husband, mom, and children. I can’t help but think she’s just stays there most of the time thinking about times gone by. Missing her mother and husband. 

• Upvote 5

On 4/30/2022 at 8:45 PM, DarkSideofHeaven said:

Christine Baranski

THIS!  She would be perfect for the role!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

THIS!  She would be perfect for the role!

I don’t know if she can do the accent. I love her in “The Gilded Age.” She does that accent of upper crust New York City 19th century quite well though. I’m unsure of a TN accent. 

42 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I don’t know if she can do the accent. I love her in “The Gilded Age.” She does that accent of upper crust New York City 19th century quite well though. I’m unsure of a TN accent. 

*chuckling* NEVER underestimate the potential of an actor raised in Polish-American theater!!!  Big Mama JB was Just raised Polish-American (no theater), but she could do accents to keep up with Sid Caesar when she got into a story!!!  Granted, I’m a Baranski fan girl, but I believe she could do it. Especially the predatory mouth puckers we saw so often in TWD #4 & #5!

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I’ve watched both segments of The Way Down.  How creepy and scary it was!

In 1997 or 1998, my cousin told me about the Weigh Down workshop.  She went on and on about how it had really helped her.  So,I decided to give it a try and bought the book The Weigh Down Diet.  

I started to read it, and decided that I would like to try an in person group.  I called the number I found in the book and was connected with an Assembly of God  church not too far from my home.  The leader was a lovely woman who led the group—we watched  a video each week (Gwen’s hair was much more mainstream back then), and discussed the various scripture readings.  We had a workbook and were encouraged to take notes.  

All of the other group members were 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Oops…..Sent too soon..

also church members—maybe about 6 or 7 ladies in all.  They were surprised that I was a Roman Catholic and attending the group.  As time went on, they were amazed that the things I  believed were quite similar to what they believed.

Along with the workbook, we had cassette tapes that we could listen to to reinforce the week’s topic.  Once we were finished with the first series Weigh Down, we began the second series, which was Exodus Out of Egypt.  Instead of cassette tapes, there were now cds.  For a while, Gwen had a “paid program” for Weigh Down where you responded to the paid program, paid your money and received a series of video tapes and a workbook.  I still have them somewhere.

After the group I was in finished the Exodus series, the church decided to discontinue the classes—maybe in the spring of 1999.  I did miss my group members, but would listen to the cds from time to time and glance through the workbook.  Later on, I figured out that the church decided to end their association with Weigh Down right around the time Gwen started the Remnant Fellowship Church.

I am so glad that I did not get involved with the craziness that is/was Remnant  Fellowship Church.  I pray for all those  who feel trapped in RF and also for those that have the courage to leave.  May God grant you the strength and courage you need.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

On 4/30/2022 at 8:45 PM, DarkSideofHeaven said:

Christine Baranski

Kristin Chenoweth

Cheryl Hines

I could easily see Christine Baranski playing Gwen. She’s very talented and I think she would be able to pull off the “sucks the air and positivity out of every room she enters and replaces it with her BS and hairspray fumes” attitude Gwen had. The other ladies are talented as well, but there’s something about CB that makes me think she could really pull off Gwen. 

• I Agree 7

16 minutes ago, marypat57 said:

Oops…..Sent too soon..

also church members—maybe about 6 or 7 ladies in all.  They were surprised that I was a Roman Catholic and attending the group.  As time went on, they were amazed that the things I  believed were quite similar to what they believed.

Along with the workbook, we had cassette tapes that we could listen to to reinforce the week’s topic.  Once we were finished with the first series Weigh Down, we began the second series, which was Exodus Out of Egypt.  Instead of cassette tapes, there were now cds.  For a while, Gwen had a “paid program” for Weigh Down where you responded to the paid program, paid your money and received a series of video tapes and a workbook.  I still have them somewhere.

After the group I was in finished the Exodus series, the church decided to discontinue the classes—maybe in the spring of 1999.  I did miss my group members, but would listen to the cds from time to time and glance through the workbook.  Later on, I figured out that the church decided to end their association with Weigh Down right around the time Gwen started the Remnant Fellowship Church.

I am so glad that I did not get involved with the craziness that is/was Remnant  Fellowship Church.  I pray for all those  who feel trapped in RF and also for those that have the courage to leave.  May God grant you the strength and courage you need.

That might’ve been around the time of the blow up due to Gwen’s differing beliefs regarding the trinity. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I just finished up listening to the Remnant's most recent Sabbath service (have to take it it small segments) and it was just more of the same..."I was nothing before putting into practice what I learned in this place", and "Nowhere else have I ever experienced such great joy and love" type testimonials that they typically showcase. Some even went as far as to say that they were full of HATE before coming to Remnant. The Stites and several others boasted about how they had been in "that place" for over 20 years and have experienced nothing but love from other members, especially Gwen and Elizabeth. Patrick Stites said that no HONEST person could ever say that Gwen was anything but FULL of the SPIRIT of GOD. As I listen to these testimonies, I can't help wondering WHO they are trying to convince.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, freefromthin said:

Patrick Stites said that no HONEST person could ever say that Gwen was anything but FULL of the SPIRIT of GOD.

Well, isn’t that a crock of shit.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 6

On 5/1/2022 at 7:05 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

No that's not right.  Michael and Erin house is for sale. Unless it sold by now.  

• Thank You 3

5 hours ago, DietCherryCoke76 said:

No that's not right.  Michael and Erin house is for sale. Unless it sold by now.  

That makes more sense. I guess I just assumed Michael would move away from Brentwood. Maybe to another suburb but just out of Brentwood since he’s left the church. I imagine none of his “friends” from RF will talk to him much now. 

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I imagine none of his “friends” from RF will talk to him much now.

They were never his friends for even a moment and I suspect he knew/ knows that.

No matter how many recorded shows Michael did where he said he was all in and how wonderful RF/Gwod and this place and this message were I never believed he believed any of it.  To me he never looked happy, just haunted and trapped. 

He's out now - perhaps following his father's example that there is a good life after RF.  Hopefully Michael can be a mitigating influence on his children.

Wouldn't it be something if he joined us here with all the secret inside scoops?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

They were never his friends for even a moment and I suspect he knew/ knows that.

No matter how many recorded shows Michael did where he said he was all in and how wonderful RF/Gwod and this place and this message were I never believed he believed any of it.  To me he never looked happy, just haunted and trapped. 

He's out now - perhaps following his father's example that there is a good life after RF.  Hopefully Michael can be a mitigating influence on his children.

Wouldn't it be something if he joined us here with all the secret inside scoops?

Oh he wouldn’t join us here. Not many of us would be fans since he was consistently cheating on his wife with very young women. Bleh.

I agree, we wouldn't be fans, and not excusing his cheating in any way -- but he does know all the secrets and depending on his current mindset might spill them all.

The cheating is completely totally on him, but I think he's a victim of RF like so many others.  He was in RF for half his life. Hopefully he has a support system to help navigate the world now he's out. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic