IGNORED

Carlin & Evan 10: Living in Their Own Instagram Sitcom

nelliebelle1197

7 minutes ago, Tangy Bee said:

If it was Nathan that said it, I'm definitely not shocked. I noticed fundie men sometimes grow more arrogant once they start getting sex. It's like it makes them crazier or something. If it wasn't him...then Gil better have a little meeting with his other sons because that comment could put family funds in jeopardy. The last 4 boys don't remember the dirt poor and grifting. Life has been good for them, and that's all they know. I'm sure Trace definitely remembers. Yep, their darkness is starting to show. Very bad tastes in jokes😳

I wonder if they completely overestimate their abilities in bed because they usually marry a girl who has not only never had sex, but never had foreplay and maybe never even kissed. She has no idea how awful a guy is in bed because she has nothing to compare to. So she tells him it’s great and he thinks he’s Casanova. 

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

The Confederate room and the presence at the outdoor Jan 6th events are all I need to see to be informed about the Bates and their brand of privileged patriotism. They are all about upholding the status quo, and Carlin feels absolutely no remorse about what happened only that she didn’t realize she should not have posted it with it in the background and perhaps that the timing overshadows her baby boy announcement.

Neither the Bates nor the Duggars have ever deserved their own TV show or national platform. The Bates will see their end just as the Duggars have, but it will be a slower downfall because it’s not just one or two bad apples; it’s the whole tree that is poisoned. That makes it much harder to pinpoint the evil like it is with Josh.

Edited by BensAllergies
  • Upvote 22
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Dbm said:

whenever I see his name my brain say "Ja done" they just had to ruin the name. 

yes 💔

In the gender reveal video evan was like: "now my family name will live on " , while putting layla on the floor, poor thing they will only focus on their "BOY" now  😒 

That didn’t bother me. He has one brother that doesn’t have kids yet. His sisters are married and now have different last names. He seems to have a lot of nieces. I can see him being excited that at least one child (so far) will carry on his name. I don’t think he will love Layla any less. 

4 hours ago, sleepygirl1 said:

I Honestly forgot about Jadon I’m not gonna lie. I can’t keep track of all of them.

Probably because we see Whitney all the time with no kids, especially not her youngest. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2
  • Bless Your Heart 1

7 hours ago, Keys said:

As someone who identifies as a Christian as well, I can’t even fathom how they can justify such overt racism. It’s directly contradictory to true Christianity. 

While your statement is true, Christians have been extremely racist for centuries. Slavery and colonization of non-European countries were tied to religion (colonization may be found out of a religious context too, but the European one had very deep religious roots and affected all the continents). 

• Upvote 14
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

It's tragic and heartbreaking how much these people prefer little boys over girls

Bates are awful, but they like having girls for sure. Kelly prefers girls (it has always been very obvious, except for the 2 young boys), and what will Alyssa do with 4 boys? Other Bates may prefer boys or wish for at least one boy, but I don't see them mad because more girls are being born. Same with Duggars. Anyway, I'm not defending them: they are all sexist AF, which impacts their children negatively. 

Re. Nathan racist statement. Bates have always been racist. They had the Confederate room with all those pictures!!! Frankly, it shocked me that he was "getting to know" Ashley. 

• Upvote 11

8 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

I can see him being excited that at least one child (so far) will carry on his name. I don’t think he will love Layla any less. 

Girls can also carry on THEIR OWN NAME. 
I hate this outdated patriarchal belief and custom that only men can carry on 'their' name. Excuse me? I have a name too, and I can give that name to my potential child if I so choose. It pains me that continuation of the male name is still the norm.

In my country it isn't even possible to hyphenate your child's name. I hate it. I hate this awful patriarchal and outdated custom. My SO and I both hyphenated our last names when we got married. We had hoped this would mean any potential children would get our hyphenated name. But nope, we have to choose. Either his name or mine. We then thought, well, let's just make up a new last name and have our last name officially changed into that and then we can use that for potential childeren. Nope, changing your last name is illegal* in my country.

* there are about 5 exceptions to this rule (yes, I researched this extensively because I really, really don't agree with the fact that passing on the male name is still the norm, and I wanted to know what our options were):
1) if you carry the name of your abuser, you are allowed to change your last name into the last name of a non-abusive family member. You have to choose a familial name though, can't just make something up. If this is impossible, you can change your name into something that resembles your old name. You cannot pick an entirely new name.
2) if you have your fathers last name, but your parents divorced when you were young and you have lived solely with your mom until you turned 18, you can legally change your last name into your mom's last name.
3) If your last name is/contains a profanity, you can change it. However, you can only change it into the name of that of another family member. Can't just make something up. Also, if it is considered 'not that bad', you have to prove that you suffer mentally from having your last name. See exception nr4.
4) If you can demonstrate that you somehow suffer mentally from having your last name (for instance, when your last name is the same as that of an infamous criminal), you can change your last name. Again, you can only change it into a name that's already in your family.
5) If you are a naturalized citizen and your last name is a) unpronouncable in Dutch, b) contains characters that the Dutch language doesn't have, or c) you are part of an ethnic minority and were forced to change your ethnic name back in your home country, but now that you are safe you would like your ethnic name back. In the latter case, you can change your name back into your original ethnic name. This happens a lot to Uyghur refugees. They usually come in with a Chinese surname, that was forced on them by the Chinese government in an attempt to destroy Uyghur culture. After naturalization, they can apply to have their last name changed back into their original Uyghur name. For the former 2 reasons goes: you have to change your name into something that resembles your old name. So, for instance, you take out/replace the characters that the Dutch language doesn't have with characters the Dutch language does have that resemble the ones you took out.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

36 minutes ago, Marly said:

I hate this outdated patriarchal belief and custom that only men can carry on 'their' name. Excuse me? I have a name too, and I can give that name to my potential child if I so choose. It pains me that continuation of the male name is still the norm.

In my country it isn't even possible to hyphenate your child's name. I hate it. I hate this awful patriarchal and outdated custom. My SO and I both hyphenated our last names when we got married. We had hoped this would mean any potential children would get our hyphenated name. But nope, we have to choose. Either his name or mine. We then thought, well, let's just make up a new last name and have our last name officially changed into that and then we can use that for potential childeren. Nope, changing your last name is illegal* in my country.

* there are about 5 exceptions to this rule (yes, I researched this extensively because I really, really don't agree with the fact that passing on the male name is still the norm, and I wanted to know what our options were):
1) if you carry the name of your abuser, you are allowed to change your last name into the last name of a non-abusive family member. You have to choose a familial name though, can't just make something up. If this is impossible, you can change your name into something that resembles your old name. You cannot pick an entirely new name.
2) if you have your fathers last name, but your parents divorced when you were young and you have lived solely with your mom until you turned 18, you can legally change your last name into your mom's last name.
3) If your last name is/contains a profanity, you can change it. However, you can only change it into the name of that of another family member. Can't just make something up. Also, if it is considered 'not that bad', you have to prove that you suffer mentally from having your last name. See exception nr4.
4) If you can demonstrate that you somehow suffer mentally from having your last name (for instance, when your last name is the same as that of an infamous criminal), you can change your last name. Again, you can only change it into a name that's already in your family.
5) If you are a naturalized citizen and your last name is a) unpronouncable in Dutch, b) contains characters that the Dutch language doesn't have, or c) you are part of an ethnic minority and were forced to change your ethnic name back in your home country, but now that you are safe you would like your ethnic name back. In the latter case, you can change your name back into your original ethnic name. This happens a lot to Uyghur refugees. They usually come in with a Chinese surname, that was forced on them by the Chinese government in an attempt to destroy Uyghur culture. After naturalization, they can apply to have their last name changed back into their original Uyghur name. For the former 2 reasons goes: you have to change your name into something that resembles your old name. So, for instance, you take out/replace the characters that the Dutch language doesn't have with characters the Dutch language does have that resemble the ones you took out.

What happens if someone moves to the country with a hyphenated last name? 

Would it be worth moving to another country, change the name there, and move back? 

• Upvote 1

And to make it worse, Kelly has adopted Black sisters to boot-Nathan's aunts.  How do they feel about all of this?  I am sure not very well. 

The fact that George Floyd was the first thing associated with a hunter charade is horrible enough, but to post it for the world to see believing it's 100% okay is just insanely mind-boggling.  I don't believe for one second Carlin inadvertently overlooked it because every other one of her Instagram posts are so carefully crafted and edited for the world to see.  I believe she honestly thought it was okay to post-look how she was brought up.  We all know about the "Southern Pride" room.       

Between the Duggars and Bates' cumulative pitfalls, let's hope that the idea of giving reality shows to people whose only claim to fame is procreating like rabbits (apologies to the rabbits) has finally run its course and dies a quick death.   

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

If it was Nathan that said it, I'm definitely not shocked. I noticed fundie men sometimes grow more arrogant once they start getting sex.

It's not arrogance, it's racism. A much uglier personality trait. You can be arrogant and still feel outrage about George Floyd.

19 hours ago, BernRul said:

And that George Floyd comment is all the confirmation I need that my hunch was right.

Trace (or Nathan) wouldn't have said it unless he believed it was acceptable to say such things in the family circle. I am sure George Floyd has been "joked about" in the past, paving the way for this "joke."

23 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I contacted UP tv as well. I don’t know if it does any good but this is just disgusting. 

Everyone should. That's the way to get them to pay attention. I'd love to see Carlin bring this family down. 

The fact that she posted it shows the ingrained level of racism within this family. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 2

The fact that they thought it was funny is what gets me. Had the comment been « police brutality towards BIPOC identifying individuals such as George Floyd » and they were all stunned and silent, it would have been inappropriate in a game but at least shown that they were impacted by the horrific images that continue to play out in the media. But using violence, hate, oppression and destruction of innocent lives as a joke just about makes me ill. Well done Gil and Kelly; you’ve created a family of racist jerks! 

• Upvote 8

What a lame apology. . .

"I disagree with sarcasm, jokes and lighthearted comments being made. . . ."

It was a lighthearted comment, folks! A joke! But I disagree with it, of course.

"I'm deeply sorry for any grievance caused or offense taken. . . "

I'm sorry if you were offended by the lighthearted comment. I'm also sorry for "any grievance caused." However, I"m not sorry enough to say, "It was racist and it must have hurt people." 

You know that unsettled feeling you get when you hear an apology that misses the mark, and isn't really an apology? That's what I"m feeling here.

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, HeartsAFundie said:

believe she honestly thought it was okay to post-look how she was brought up.  We all know about the "Southern Pride" room.       

I truly believe that they say things that are so much worse that this didn't even register as something bad. She probably thought she wasn't showing the bad stuff. Has anyone contacted People magazine? 

• Upvote 12
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Marly said:

I was the OP but wanted to say that I completely agree with you. I have 3 daughters and they’ve talked about keeping their names. But I don’t think that would ever be an option in Bates world. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Jackie3 said:

What a lame apology. . .

"I disagree with sarcasm, jokes and lighthearted comments being made. . . ."

It was a lighthearted comment, folks! A joke! But I disagree with it, of course.

"I'm deeply sorry for any grievance caused or offense taken. . . "

I'm sorry if you were offended by the lighthearted comment. I'm also sorry for "any grievance caused." However, I"m not sorry enough to say, "It was racist and it must have hurt people." 

You know that unsettled feeling you get when you hear an apology that misses the mark, and isn't really an apology? That's what I"m feeling here.

Where is this apology? I don't see it on Carlin's or the Bates family IG. I'm sure Carlin doesn't feel sorry enough to overshadow her baby's genital reveal with an actual apology.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Marly said:

isnt your name your father's name

• Downvote 2
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Marly said:

I also loathe this assumption. I’ve known more than one relatively liberal man, including some younger than me, who was delighted to have a boy to carry on the family name. I’ve also seen some pressure in families to have a boy for this very reason. In more than one of these cases, the “family name” had been modified when the person’s ancestors first came to the US (usually ca. 1900), so it’s not as if these were aristocratic names going back many generations. 

I was bored yesterday and watched the gender reveal video. For the party, all three of the, were wearing white, including another hideous lace bell bottom outfit for Layla. And then the guests shot off blue powder. Carlin complained about the powder in her hair. All I could think was “Well, they’ll never wear those outfits again!”

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1

17 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

While your statement is true, Christians have been extremely racist for centuries. Slavery and colonization of non-European countries were tied to religion (colonization may be found out of a religious context too, but the European one had very deep religious roots and affected all the continents). 

Yes, I’m well-aware 🙁 

I guess what I should have said is for a family whose basis of fame is their “devout Christianity”, I’m shocked that they’re so overtly racist and still can’t comprehend how they justify that. 

• Upvote 4

What is really confusing me is that George Floyd was an adult and wasn’t shot. If he was aiming at kids, shouldn’t the answer have been “George Zimmermann” or the names of the officers who shot Tamir Rice? Or any other act of police violence against black youngsters? 
They are racist AND stupid! Heartbreaking that this is modelled as acceptable behaviour to all the little kids in the family. Joking about murder - oh so very Christian of them! 🤬

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 5

5 hours ago, Mrs Ms said:

What is really confusing me is that George Floyd was an adult and wasn’t shot. If he was aiming at kids, shouldn’t the answer have been “George Zimmermann” or the names of the officers who shot Tamir Rice? Or any other act of police violence against black youngsters? 
They are racist AND stupid! Heartbreaking that this is modelled as acceptable behaviour to all the little kids in the family. Joking about murder - oh so very Christian of them! 🤬

I thought that too 

I do not know why their mind went straight to him in this circumstance

you are right racist and stupid 

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I do not know why their mind went straight to him in this circumstance

I’ve been thinking about this and all the racist stuff I’ve read about police brutality online, and I think I understand why he made that connection. To these sorts of racist people George Floyd represents the idea that “scary” black men deserve to be killed by police. He represents that they find the idea of police murdering POC amusing. So when Nathan saw Lawson pretending to shoot someone his mind immediately went to the “joke” that not only should police murder black men but that it is funny when they do.  And the whole family laughed because they all got it. None of them were confused because they all understood exactly what Nathan meant when he shouted out George Floyd. It wasn’t about if George Floyd died being shot, but how they must joke about police killing non-whites. And the people they hang out with say stuff like this so much that Carlin didn’t realize that most people would be horrified at this little “joke”.

• Upvote 14
  • Disgust 3
  • Sad 3

Yep I think Erin has been bought out or kicked out…. I think this may be as “official” as we get for now  AA4BFBA9-7632-4365-ADCD-43DFAB698232.thumb.png.2841b5801f3bbd894b4c23ad9a7fdf3c.png

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

Erin posted a statement that she is in the process of passing off her part of hte business. So they are buying her out. 

Cheers for that I did see hers and the boutiques post after this 

On 11/21/2021 at 10:25 PM, Melissa1977 said:

Bates are awful, but they like having girls for sure. Kelly prefers girls (it has always been very obvious, except for the 2 young boys), and what will Alyssa do with 4 boys? Other Bates may prefer boys or wish for at least one boy, but I don't see them mad because more girls are being born. Same with Duggars. Anyway, I'm not defending them: they are all sexist AF, which impacts their children negatively. 

Boys are the ones who get to do the important things in life, like preach. They all want boys. You can tell because when they're asked what they think the new baby will be, they mostly answer "a boy." 

What would Alyssa do with four boys? She'd raise them and presumably love them. Just cause she likes playing dress-up with her girls doesn't mean she couldn't handle boys. She's a ninny, but she's also organized and hardworking (except for schooling). She could handle boys just fine.

As for Kelly, we really have no idea. She may just connect better with girls on camera. 

• Upvote 1

• samurai_sarah locked this topic