IGNORED

Commercials: The Good, The Bad, And The WTF?

smittykins

I’ve seen the original Hershey’s Kisses bell choir ad several times now; it always warms my heart.(Now I’m just waiting for Santa and the M&Ms.)

On the other hand, Joe Namath, Jimmie Walker, George Foreman and all of their Medicare-Advantage-plan cohorts need to GTFO my screen, like yesterday.(And why do we have to see Namath’s mug all year long?)

• Upvote 7

It seems like a few years ago, we would have some Medicare "advantage" ads throughout the year, but not the deluge that we get now.  Of course, the ads are worse at open enrollment time, but they are bad at every time of year.  The one with Jimmie Walker drives me particularly crazy.  He is bragging about getting $100 dollars added to their Social Security check every month.  Why should that small amount matter to him?  

Another ad that drives me crazy is the ad for the Imogen Oxygen Concentrator.  The woman who needs supplemental oxygen and who should be careful about who she is exposed to is shown out at breakfast and going to "her religious services again."  They did not need to show this particular ad during the pandemic.  It promotes irresponsible behavior.  

I do like the Petsmart ad where they show a Guinea pig eating a treat that looks like a plate of macarons, but I will assume that it not.  I also like this US Bank ad where a guy has learned to crochet and has yarn bombed his greyhound along with everything else.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

It seems like a few years ago, we would have some Medicare "advantage" ads throughout the year, but not the deluge that we get now.  Of course, the ads are worse at open enrollment time, but they are bad at every time of year.  The one with Jimmie Walker drives me particularly crazy

Aren't they obnoxious? The ad geniuses must have put their heads together, decided that we simple, cute old people just need someone who was famous when we were young to yell cheerfully and be way over the top, and we'll make that call!

Blech.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

I also like this US Bank ad where a guy has learned to crochet and has yarn bombed his greyhound along with everything else.  

Greyhound? You got me all excited.

But, although it's hard to see under all of that crochet, that fuzzy tail tells me that's not a greyhound - collie or collie mix, perhaps?

Spoiler

image.png.1c0ea12fcb5780fe52ce918cd417eba8.png

It is a funny ad. I know that hobby-becomes-obsession progression.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

I also like this US Bank ad where a guy has learned to crochet and has yarn bombed his greyhound along with everything else.  

My paternal grandpa's eldest brother knitted for many years.  I was a bit surprised to learn that when he passed that he had done that throughout his life.  I didn't know he had had done that up until it was mentioned in his obituary.  I remember going to his wake and they had some of the stuff he had knitted over the years on display there.  He had created some really artistic pieces. 

• Upvote 3

I heard this commercial several times earlier today while listening to CNN through Amazon Echo and was confused by it. Even after tracking it down so I could watch it, I'm still puzzled.

So, someone bought Scrooge an expensive exercise bike? Wouldn't a better Christmas commercial be Scrooge buying Pelotons for everybody else after the three ghosts changed his heart?:confusion-shrug:

• Upvote 3

On 11/20/2021 at 10:30 AM, smittykins said:

On the other hand, Joe Namath, Jimmie Walker, George Foreman and all of their Medicare-Advantage-plan cohorts need to GTFO my screen, like yesterday.(And why do we have to see Namath’s mug all year long?)

Ack, I just saw this one with Joe Namath.  No matter where I changed the channel, there he was.  Sigh.  I don’t trust these sorts of ads, and the subtext “Get What You Deserve” makes me a bit more suspicious.  🤨  Our best friend’s mother keeps dialing into these 1-800 numbers and gets into all sorts of sketchy situations that he then needs to extricate her from.  

• Sad 3

My mom even said “Maybe you should call”(since I’m on Medicare due to disability), and I told her, “I don’t know, seems kind of scammy to me.”

• Upvote 4

Just saw the latest Charmin Bears commercial on TV last commercial break. 

At least the Charmin Bears have moved indoors and are doing their business in a proper bathroom instead of copping a squat behind a two inch wide tree.

• Upvote 4

I like the Progressive “Becoming Your Parents” commercials. They make me laugh. 

• Upvote 5

I liked the guy in the original commercial with the flip phone.  “Why would I get rid of this?  It still works!”

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

Any and all Liberty Mutual ads(with the possible exception of  the one with the helicopter)need to go away.

Edited by smittykins
  • I Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

I hate them for a different reason:  I lost my husband in 2005, far too young for those plans(he was almost 42 and I was 38, and I think you have to be 50 to qualify), and I had to apply to Social Services for help with the “final expenses.”

• Sad 1
  • Love 4

Oh, but I love when those medicare ads come on because we greatly enjoy mocking the hell out of them. My favourites are Joe Namath because we copy his ridiculously overdone hand gestures, and Jimmie Walker for the line where he says, "It's freeeeeeeee!" with his hands up. 

You get so many of those types of ads if you watch retro tv channels like we do. They clearly have an older demographic, so it's wall to wall ads for medicare, chairlifts, walk in bathtubs, final expense insurance, retirement homes, life alert systems, home care agencies, medical supply companies, and anything else they think will sell to the older set. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

You get so many of those types of ads if you watch retro tv channels like we do. They clearly have an older demographic, so it's wall to wall ads for medicare, chairlifts, walk in bathtubs, final expense insurance, retirement homes, life alert systems, home care agencies, medical supply companies, and anything else they think will sell to the older set.

It's the "almost dead" mailing list in video form.

• Haha 4

I went almost the whole holiday season without seeing the Santa /M&Ms ad, and now I’ve seen it about five times since last night.

Edited by smittykins
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Miralax “Cranky-Pated” ad, especially when the woman sashays out of the ladies room like “W00T!  I just took a colossal shit!”

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

What’s the deal with Expedia and lemons?