IGNORED

Trace Bates 2: Dating A Poor Persecuted Refugee with A Purpose?

nelliebelle1197

22 hours ago, SimplyMe said:

Who has the tea (as my teenagers would say) on Lydia.  I just looked at her public IG page and she seems very… not fundie.  She’s a model, wears bikinis, has some pretty sexy dresses on in photos.  If it weren’t for a Bible verse in her bio, I wouldn’t guess she’d be anywhere close to someone who would date a Bates boy.  How’d they even meet?  

I don't know all the details on this but her family claims religious persecution in Germany because they wanted to homeschool them for religious reasons and weren't allowed. I think they came to the US and never left (illegally) and are now facing deportation.  I think Trump was sent a petition with a lot of signatures asking for them to stay but nothing happened with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

So how does this work, legally? As far as I know, if she’s facing deportation (i.e. not in the country legally), she can’t just get married and stay. She would have to leave the country and apply for a K-1 (fiancé/e) visa. Anybody familiar with immigration law who can shed some light?

• Upvote 3

I was going through Lydias instagram and I noticed some of the comments were written in German and she responds to them so it seems like her German is still decent. If her and Trace do get married and have children, I hope she speaks German to them. 

I have always wondered how fundies feel about multilingualism. Are there any proper bilingual fundies? 

Kind of off topic but this has been on my mind. 

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

I have always wondered how fundies feel about multilingualism. Are there any proper bilingual fundies? 

Zsu Zsu Anderson will be a real treat for you! I’m not sure if she speaks German or Hungarian or both, but I don’t believe she taught her kids anything except English. Josiah Duggar’s failed courtship partner Marjorie Jackson is possibly fluent in Spanish. I believe her mother was from South America and was the Spanish teacher for the Duggar kids.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Zsu Zsu Anderson will be a real treat for you! I’m not sure if she speaks German or Hungarian or both, but I don’t believe she taught her kids anything except English. Josiah Duggar’s failed courtship partner Marjorie Jackson is possibly fluent in Spanish. I believe her mother was from South America and was the Spanish teacher for the Duggar kids.

If I recall correctly, Zsu taught her kids German when there were only a few of them. She stopped regularly updating her blog a while ago, but I had the impression that she stopped once she had a few.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Zsu Zsu Anderson will be a real treat for you! I’m not sure if she speaks German or Hungarian or both, but I don’t believe she taught her kids anything except English.

Thats greatly upsetting. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

Lydia runs her own photography business, so she was not subject to e-verify by an employer. That means no one broke the law to hire her. BUT, she is not legally allowed to work (or be in the US). However, she could still be paying taxes. Either she and the parents had social security numbers while they were awaiting their asylum claim (doubtful IMO), or she could have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number and be filing taxes with that. 

Info on ITIN under spoiler bc boring:

Spoiler

In 1996, the Internal Revenue Service created the ITIN to provide a way for noncitizens who earn income in the United States, including legally-present noncitizens who do not have Social Security numbers, to pay taxes on money earned in the United States while not being technically employed by a U.S employer. For example, ITINs allow foreign nationals to pay taxes on the interest earned in a U.S. bank or investment account. They also allow spouses of work-authorized visa-holders to pay taxes on self-employment income, among other uses.

Most experts believe that the vast majority of tax returns filed with ITINs today are filed by undocumented immigrants rather than the intended recipient groups—a few categories of noncitizens who do not have a Social Security number and are not authorized to work but who are still earning income and legally residing in the United States. In 2010, ITINs were used to file over 3 million federal tax returns.

Lydia also could be just taking cash under the table. There are a few banks that allow you to open an account without a social security number. With that she could have a paypal/venmo for clients to pay. 

I dislike Trace more every time I see his face. Even the back of his head made me want to gag.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 2

15 hours ago, irish_dancing_canadian said:

I was going through Lydias instagram and I noticed some of the comments were written in German and she responds to them so it seems like her German is still decent. If her and Trace do get married and have children, I hope she speaks German to them. 

Kind of off topic but this has been on my mind. 

In our church full of fundies back when I was really little, there were actually a lot of hispanic/mixed families (like mine). They definitely spoke Spanish, both in church and to their children. I don't speak Spanish though because my dad (native Spanish speaker) has always been very against me speaking Spanish. But I think in the wider world of fundie-dom, most fundie families are stark white and don't speak multiple languages. 

• Upvote 5

On 12/12/2021 at 12:22 PM, JillyO said:

So how does this work, legally? As far as I know, if she’s facing deportation (i.e. not in the country legally), she can’t just get married and stay. She would have to leave the country and apply for a K-1 (fiancé/e) visa. Anybody familiar with immigration law who can shed some light?

I'm not an expert but my husband did come to the US on a K-1 visa and I do remember part of the process was having to answer questions about whether or not he'd ever been here illegally.  I'm not sure what happens if you say you have been here illegally though. Maybe it doesn't automatically exclude you but I'm sure it doesn't help!

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

Lydia was only 10 when her family came here, so I am not sure that influencee things. Also apparently, the Romeike's have been given indefinite deferred status, which I am not really sure what that means. 

• Upvote 6

16 hours ago, käsekuchen said:

If I recall correctly, Zsu taught her kids German when there were only a few of them. She stopped regularly updating her blog a while ago, but I had the impression that she stopped once she had a few.

Zoo stopped many things once she had more than 6 kids. She basically gave up after that. They all get the bare minimum after that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

I‘m wondering if it‘s possible under asylum status to file AOS after marriage? 

• Upvote 1

I’m interested to see how long Trace “waits” for this relationship. I’m not sure of the legalities but can they even get married anytime soon? How much of a risk is there that they will be deported? Would his love mean that he would follow her? Would he wait years for her to be legally allowed to marry her? Or would it all just get to hard and they break it off? 

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I’m interested to see how long Trace “waits” for this relationship. I’m not sure of the legalities but can they even get married anytime soon? How much of a risk is there that they will be deported? Would his love mean that he would follow her? Would he wait years for her to be legally allowed to marry her? Or would it all just get to hard and they break it off? 

Could they have a “destination wedding” and then move to the US?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

Could they have a “destination wedding” and then move to the US?

I think the destination wedding wouldn't be long enough time out of the country. I've read a couple of things saying that applying for K-1 visas can take 5 months or more--and heck, I have friends who just needed to get their US passports renewed that took longer than that! : )  Sounds to me that if they are want to do this LEGALLY she needs to move back to Europe and stay there, probably for 6 months or more & wait for a visa.

But since they are entitled white fundy Christians, you know they will just stay in Tennessee and whine about being persecuted for their beliefs and badger their Member of Congress and their two Senators for help (although our immigration/passport process is so slow right now, Congresscritters can't do much to help)

I have zero sympathy for Lydia. Her reason for claiming asylum status (homeschooling)was stupid to begin with, and invalid now that she is a grown-ass woman. And if she's been getting paid cash money for photography work and not paying taxes because she's not "in the system," even more reason for her ass to be deported. Go stand in line with everybody else, Lydia.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I think the destination wedding wouldn't be long enough time out of the country. I've read a couple of things saying that applying for K-1 visas can take 5 months or more--and heck, I have friends who just needed to get their US passports renewed that took longer than that! : )  Sounds to me that if they are want to do this LEGALLY she needs to move back to Europe and stay there, probably for 6 months or more & wait for a visa.

But since they are entitled white fundy Christians, you know they will just stay in Tennessee and whine about being persecuted for their beliefs and badger their Member of Congress and their two Senators for help (although our immigration/passport process is so slow right now, Congresscritters can't do much to help)

I have zero sympathy for Lydia. Her reason for claiming asylum status (homeschooling)was stupid to begin with, and invalid now that she is a grown-ass woman. And if she's been getting paid cash money for photography work and not paying taxes because she's not "in the system," even more reason for her ass to be deported. Go stand in line with everybody else, Lydia.

I mean, she is old enough to be out of school, if anyone was in conflict with the German law it was her parents. So it’s definitely an option. Or maybe an extended White Saviour Missoncation? Maybe with MediCorp? Does she just have to out of the country? That could definitely work. They are always fine to bend their “principles” to suit them. So my guess is martial fellowship is quickly getting more important than whining about being persecuted. Especially, because after the fact they can still play this card. 

• Upvote 2

Do we really know if Lydia’s immigration status precludes her from getting married in the U.S.? Does that mean that all of the undocumented immigrants in the U.S. can’t legally marry? 

Looking at Lydia’s Instagram, she isn’t fundie modest at all. She’s shown modeling in many non-fundie approved dresses, including wedding dresses. Would she feel forced to comply to the Bates standards or just do what she wants for her own wedding? 

You can get married in the US if you are not of a legal status. If she has a social security number (which she might've gotten while they were applying for asylum) or a taxpayer identification number, she can get a marriage license.

People who are undocumented get married in the US all the time. It DOES NOT have the same kind of benefit as applying for a spousal visa or fiance visa. This is not a situation where getting married to a citizen would expedite the process IMO.

If Lydia's family came over on legitimate visas, then she could probably apply for a change of status. But I don't know much about this deferred status thing they have right now.

I don't think a destination wedding would be a good idea. I doubt there is a way to legally re-enter if Lydia leaves the US.

For the record, I am NOT an immigration attorney. But I HAVE watched about 9 seasons of 90 day fiance and googled my way through many of these scenarios!

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 9

so they only take the little girls with them when they need someone to watch over them or to take care of their kids...

poor thing it must feel awkward. 

Spoiler

1546824227_Screenshot2021-12-16at1_49_22am.thumb.png.5e079d35063b0c082857fa9c855c15f8.png

1248408121_Screenshot2021-12-16at1_48_28am.thumb.png.ec82a700170e4a6a914da0f8bdf5c737.png

1489327130_Screenshot2021-12-16at1_48_48am.thumb.png.0adbd85ee41367ce3bbe34157a8e709b.png

• Upvote 8

15 hours ago, Dbm said:

so they only take the little girls with them when they need someone to watch over them or to take care of their kids...

Reveal hidden contents

1546824227_Screenshot2021-12-16at1_49_22am.thumb.png.5e079d35063b0c082857fa9c855c15f8.png

1248408121_Screenshot2021-12-16at1_48_28am.thumb.png.ec82a700170e4a6a914da0f8bdf5c737.png

1489327130_Screenshot2021-12-16at1_48_48am.thumb.png.0adbd85ee41367ce3bbe34157a8e709b.png

I used to hang out with my older cousins and their boyfriends at that age and felt so cool. I’d much rather be the chaperone than the babysitter (did a lot of that at that age too)

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, Dbm said:

Hide contents

Ellie is like the aesthetic bridge between Michael, Tori, and Carlin. I never understood where Michael's looks came from, but I can see it now. Genetics are so interesting. 

2 hours ago, CanadianMamam said:

I used to hang out with my older cousins and their boyfriends at that age and felt so cool. I’d much rather be the chaperone than the babysitter (did a lot of that at that age too)

Yeah, I would have been over the moon -- and also a little drunk with power from my chaperone duties. I not only get to hang out with the cool older siblings, I have regulatory power over them??

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 1

So Lydia was full out sitting on Trace"s lap at the Christmas party. She was also wearing pants while all the daughter's/DILs were wearing skirts. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed that in all the pictures he posts of them, she’s leaning or bending in a way so as not to look taller than him. Even in heels. 

1 hour ago, artdecades said:

Has anyone noticed that in all the pictures he posts of them, she’s leaning or bending in a way so as not to look taller than him. Even in heels. 

As a tall girl, this makes me sad. I hunch so much now because I hunched so much as a teen. I have to force myself to stand straight because the habit is so ingrained. It’s so stupid I felt bad about being taller than many boys my age. I hate the society tells us men must be taller than female spouses. That’s garbage. My great grandparents were married 75 years and grandma was always taller than grandpa.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

4 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

As a tall girl, this makes me sad. I hunch so much now because I hunched so much as a teen. I have to force myself to stand straight because the habit is so ingrained. It’s so stupid I felt bad about being taller than many boys my age. I hate the society tells us men must be taller than female spouses. That’s garbage. My great grandparents were married 75 years and grandma was always taller than grandpa.

I think that’s a general issues with very tall teenagers though. Most hunch so they don’t stand out, towering over their peers in general - at least in most cases. Maybe it’s different with the much more intense sport culture in US schools (there are definitely no school teams, school competitions or even many school extra sport opportunities here, that’s all done after school) so even our tall teenage boys are more likely to be conscious about their height in school. And yes, tall females have definitely another layer of being self conscious in regard to their height and males.

• Upvote 3

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic