IGNORED

Nesther 6: Skydiving Straight into the Wedding Square

nelliebelle1197

I have a high school friend named Kenna.  She wasn't named after her father, but possibly a grandfather.

Edited by SoSoNosy

Wouldn’t it be awful if they decided on a theme of Kenna, Kenneth Jr, Kendra, Kendrick, Kennedy, Kensley, Kenny, and Kendalyn.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • Haha 23

Kenna reminds me of McKenna, which was the name of an old classmate of mine. I think I prefer McKenna over Kenna, especially considering it was named for Nathan which I didn’t realize initially. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 4

I think they actually did a pretty good job with the name Kenna Joy. I think most of us expected Esther to prefer something trendy or overly cutesy and this name isn’t. Kenna is obviously a girl’s name but it has a harder feel (sound I suppose) than I thought they would want for their little princess. It’s unique, but easy to say, spell, etc. It might even indicate that Nathan finds a female child worthy enough to be his namesake and he didn’t need to wait for a boy for the honor. (I guess I’ll eat those words if he has a boy named Nathan(iel)). My guess for the name was Savannah Rose which I think is a little prettier and softer sounding, but I think I like Kenna Joy better. I didn’t think that Nathan and Esther would have made such a thoughtful choice.

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I think they actually did a pretty good job with the name Kenna Joy. I think most of us expected Esther to prefer something trendy or overly cutesy and this name isn’t. Kenna is obviously a girl’s name but it has a harder feel (sound I suppose) than I thought they would want for their little princess. It’s unique, but easy to say, spell, etc. It might even indicate that Nathan finds a female child worthy enough to be his namesake and he didn’t need to wait for a boy for the honor. (I guess I’ll eat those words if he has a boy named Nathan(iel)). My guess for the name was Savannah Rose which I think is a little prettier and softer sounding, but I think I like Kenna Joy better. I didn’t think that Nathan and Esther would have made such a thoughtful choice.

I admit, I did expect something like Kennsleigh. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 3

I like Kenna. But darn- first born daughter, in this cult, and Nathan as dad- poor girl hit the trifecta of cr*p ☹️

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 4

On 6/22/2022 at 3:15 AM, front hugs > duggs said:

Kenna reminds me of McKenna, which was the name of an old classmate of mine. I think I prefer McKenna over Kenna, especially considering it was named for Nathan which I didn’t realize initially. 

I think they could have done worse. A lot worse actually. Kenna looks and sounds much more of a girls name to me than Kendra for example. Hyper US American but still like a real first name. McKenna is just weird? Like calling someone Butcher or Smith. To me this can only ever be a Family name. I don’t think you would even be allowed something like this here. 
So while I don’t like Kenna especially it’s one of the better names in the Bates grandchildren roster. To me.

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 1
  • Bless Your Heart 2
  • I Agree 1

On 6/24/2022 at 3:03 AM, just_ordinary said:

I think they could have done worse. A lot worse actually. Kenna looks and sounds much more of a girls name to me than Kendra for example. Hyper US American but still like a real first name. McKenna is just weird? Like calling someone Butcher or Smith. To me this can only ever be a Family name. I don’t think you would even be allowed something like this here. 
So while I don’t like Kenna especially it’s one of the better names in the Bates grandchildren roster. To me.

Last names as first names are very popular in the US. It’s been a popular trend for a very long time. I don’t mind it usually. But I’ve come across some I don’t care for. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Last names as first names are very popular in the US. It’s been a popular trend for a very long time. I don’t mind it usually. But I’ve come across some I don’t care for. 

I hear this a lot. A friend of mine had a neighbor who gave her son her maiden name as his first name. The reason was she only had sisters & between the 3 of them they decided whoever had a boy first would give him their maiden name.   

Edited by Jana814
  • Upvote 2

I think some surnames are better as first names.  Mine is somewhat long and eastern European (ex: Kowalczyk*).  I'm sure my kid(s) will go through a phase where they hate me at some point, but I wouldn't want to guarantee it by saddling them with this.

*This is not my actual name.

• Upvote 2

On 6/25/2022 at 10:13 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I think some surnames are better as first names.  Mine is somewhat long and eastern European (ex: Kowalczyk*).  I'm sure my kid(s) will go through a phase where they hate me at some point, but I wouldn't want to guarantee it by saddling them with this.

*This is not my actual name.

Oh yes my maiden name would be horrid as a first name. Of course people with last names like Elliot, Austen, Bennett, and Connor can give that first name to a child. But a last name like Hooker just wouldn’t work as a first name. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

On 6/25/2022 at 6:45 PM, Jana814 said:

I hear this a lot. A friend of mine had a neighbor who gave her son her maiden name as his first name. The reason was she only had sisters & between the 3 of them they decided whoever had a boy first would give him their maiden name.   

Raven from the Bachelorette named her son Gates which is her maiden name, So Gates Gottschalk

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, raayx01 said:

Raven from the Bachelorette named her son Gates which is her maiden name, So Gates Gottschalk

I think it prefer Gates on a boy. I believe Gwen Shamblin’s twin granddaughters are Garland and Gates. All of her granddaughters have G names because Gwen is Gwod. 

• Confused 1

Here in the Netherlands you can only give a last name as a first or second name if it has been used as a given name before. Which has resulted already in people digging deep in history to find a person with that name.

• Upvote 1

I guess I have an unpopular opinion lol. I think Kenna Joy sounds exactly like a white trash southern bible girl name. And I don't mean to insult white trash as meaning just poor, I mean the Bates brand of trashy opinions and willful unworldly taste. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 4

I don't care for the name "Kenna Joy" together like that, although I know the double name is culturally common in the south. Kenna alone is more to my liking.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/21/2022 at 6:42 PM, SoSoNosy said:

I have a high school friend named Kenna.  She wasn't named after her father, but possibly a grandfather.

Kenna is a Scots/Irish name. In the TV series Reign about Mary Queen of Scots (totally inaccurate but man they have great clothes), one of Mary's ladies in waiting is named Kenna.

• Upvote 4

Only because it’s a book I’m reading right now, it’s a main characters name in Colleen Hoover’s Reminders  of Him.

Whitney posted a picture with four generations of Gilven as a middle name (Papa Bill, Gil, Zach and Bradley) and it made me think that Lawson will defintiely name his first son William. 

But then Bobby and Chad both did that. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CanadianMamam said:

Whitney posted a picture with four generations of Gilven as a middle name (Papa Bill, Gil, Zach and Bradley) and it made me think that Lawson will defintiely name his first son William. 

But then Bobby and Chad both did that. 

I so think Lawson will name his first son William and call him Liam

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

Yes, Lawson will give his son the first name William. But then Tiff may want a trendy middle name for him to go by. Like William Henry Bates and call him Henry. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes, Lawson will give his son the first name William. But then Tiff may want a trendy middle name for him to go by. Like William Henry Bates and call him Henry. 

I think we could also see a Carson/Kade situation where the nickname isn't directly impacted by the actual name. 

• Upvote 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic