IGNORED

Coronavirus 7: Ring in Delta Plus and then Omicron Takes Over

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, therulesofjinx said:

Got my booster yesterday afternoon!

I got my Pfizer booster Wednesday morning and am just now emerging from soreness, chills, and nausea.  I’m so happy, because all that makes me feel good and vaccinated, lol!  😁  I had little reaction to my first two shots.  I’m also looking forward to doing a couple trips and hopefully visiting our daughter on the opposite coast.  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 7

53 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

I got my Pfizer booster Wednesday morning and am just now emerging from soreness, chills, and nausea.

Glad you're feeling better! I had a reaction to my first shot (CRAZY chills- I could not get warm) the day after I got it; no reaction to my second shot; and little-to-no reaction to my booster besides some pain at the injection site. I was sore and cold this morning, but I also slept not so great (unfortunately normal for me) so feeling icky may not have been related to the booster.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 4

I got my booster last Friday around 11:00 am. First two doses were Pfizer, booster was Moderna. With the booster I experienced chills, low grade fever and felt very tired from Friday through Saturday afternoon. I started feeling better Saturday night and was back to feeling like myself again Sunday and Monday. Tuesday morning my left ear started to feel clogged. It didn't hurt, just felt completely clogged and couldn't hear very well from that ear. Ear clogged lasted about a day and then got better for a few hours until I starting to hear a ringing in my left ear. It's been two days and still have the ear ringing.  Have you guys experienced something like this after getting the covid vaccine? If so, how long did it last? Thanks in advance!

• Upvote 7

Just another sign of the times.  My mother-in-law was transported to the hospital this morning (turned out to be nothing too serious).  She had to be diverted from her usual hospital because of an overflow of Covid-19 patients.  When she finally obtained a bed, and my husband caught up to her, he could hear the patient in the next bed yelling that he wasn’t vaccinated and was taking Ivermectin.  It’s frustrating to have unvaxxed Covid patients within ranting distance of fully vaccinated, but vulnerable, patients.  Fortunately, my MIL took some tests, got her meds, and got the heck back to her little oasis of assisted living sanity.  I feel so bad for frontline medical staff dealing with the Ivermectin cranks, day in and day out.  

• Love 12

The local paper today had some stories about some local unvaccinated people dying from COVID along with a story about a breakthrough infection. 

Well, as far as the unvaccinated people were concerned I had to fight off a very strong urge to put a snarky comment in the comments section about how barren my field of fucks is these days.

• Upvote 5

Sitting in the drive through testing queue after a case at my work and now potential symptoms. I am so freaking tired, and over feeling so paranoid. The odds are reasonable that the symptoms aren't covid, but right now, with 1000 cases per day still, I'd rather have some degree of certainty.

The work exposure is blackly amusing - I was one of 3 people from my team on site that day, none of us were the case. I had actually not seen other people on site - obviously they were sitting at the other end of the floor - and apparently they were there for half a day and then went to their team Christmas party. Sigh. Outdoors, lower risk, but also potentially taking out the entire team.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 15

Oh nooooo @Ozlsn I hope you get your results quickly. We have a rapid antigen testing place here now - are you able to get one just to ease your mind? They’re not as accurate but it might be worth considering. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

1 hour ago, adidas said:

Oh nooooo @Ozlsn I hope you get your results quickly. We have a rapid antigen testing place here now - are you able to get one just to ease your mind? They’re not as accurate but it might be worth considering. 

I actually did one Sun and was negative - they're variably available where I am as people are trying to test kids for school reasons and they keep selling out! The turnaround at present is 7-24 hours, so hoping on the quicker, negative side. On the happy side I'm attending the mandatory, in person all staff meeting remotely, which makes me much less stressed about it. 

• Upvote 5

So the test was negative, which was a relief. In an amusing plot twist I got a notification from the Health Dept telling me to get tested and isolate before I had the result - the cafe next to work was also an exposure site on Friday it seems. And as a bonus I worked during the all staff meeting, and kept my camera off. Still not thrilled by the push to return to on site work.

• Love 14

Got my booster after work today.

and hey, the small pharmacy near my job does shingles vax too.  Guess what is next?

• Love 6

On 12/1/2021 at 4:01 AM, Howl said:

Latest I found on the interwebs is that he got Regeneron (monoclonal antibodies) in the Florida hospital and supposedly was recovering nicely.  No updates after Nov. 20 &  zero information on his official web site. 

My primary care physician told me that Regeneron works and works incredibly well within 10 days of infection.  If he was able to get to FL within that 10-day window, he could be recovering and maybe ready to head home.  

Also, he sounds like a complete asshole, but that's just me.  He won his district by a miniscule margin, and there were some attempts at a recall.  He missed tons of votes while travelling and was double dipping with other major jobs while an elected official. 

Doug's my state senator, and he is a real pill on pretty much any topic you could mention. I think the next election cycle will finally take him out (assuming he survives Covid). No one locally has been willing/able to provide public updates on where he is or how he's doing. He despises the press, which may be part of the radio silence, but it's odd that no one in his office is trying to help him seem responsive about the disastrous flooding that has hit his district.

• Upvote 4

1 in 100 over 65 dead of COVID.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/13/us/covid-deaths-elderly-americans.html

Too many people act like people over 65 can just sit home and order everything delivered and the rest of the world can be "normal."  

It doesn't work that way.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

22 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

1 in 100 over 65 dead of COVID.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/13/us/covid-deaths-elderly-americans.html

Too many people act like people over 65 can just sit home and order everything delivered and the rest of the world can be "normal."  

It doesn't work that way.

Anyone with kids too young to be vaccinated, too, or anyone with a medical condition who can't be.

Apparently CO's governor has declared no more mask mandates because it's somebody's "own fault" if they can't be vaccinated. Like, you know, my two-year-old who won't be able to be for months or the kindergartners whose parents are still trying to get them vaccine spots.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 2

A few cases of Omicron were diagnosed in DC recently, in vaccinated people, so I figure it's starting to go rampant.  I'm fully vaxxed and careful, but also older with some at-risk medical conditions, so I guess it's time to worry some more.

Virginia is getting Trumpkin for governor next month, which I'm sure won't help the area situation.

I'm glad Omicron may be less severe than other variants but I still don't want it.

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1

Governor Newsom has reinstated California's indoor mask mandate, regardless of vaccination status, for one month, starting tomorrow.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/california-bring-back-indoor-mask-mandate-rcna8647

Of course no businesses in my area will enforce this worth a damn (some County offices possibly/hopefully excepted), and most people will keep doing whatever they like.  Those of us who still wear masks inside public spaces will continue* to do so, and hopefully there will be a few more of us than there were before.

*I had actually stopped feeling the need to mask at the grocery store etc during the summer, when my area had hardly any (known) active cases.  Then we started a spike in late August which has waned a bit but is still higher than before, so I resumed masking and even double masking once omicron appeared.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

I sent a thank you note.  If it encourages even 10% of the people who have stopped masking to put them back on, it will dent the holiday surge.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

Things are exploding here, and summer Christmas parties are likely to make it much worse.

I have had my booster but it’s not making me feel very confident right now. 

• Love 8

19 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Anyone with kids too young to be vaccinated, too, or anyone with a medical condition who can't be.

Apparently CO's governor has declared no more mask mandates because it's somebody's "own fault" if they can't be vaccinated. Like, you know, my two-year-old who won't be able to be for months or the kindergartners whose parents are still trying to get them vaccine spots.

Oh yes the narrative here is rapidly turning into "personal responsibility", which would be slightly less annoying if they were starting vaccines for kids aged 5 to 11 earlier than January. As @adidassaid we're basically heading towards Christmas/New Year superspreader events, not helped by the "it"s summer! We're on holiday!" mood. 10 days till Christmas, and I am hoping to see my interstate sibling and family.. but who knows, honestly.

16 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I'm glad Omicron may be less severe than other variants but I still don't want it.

Same. And the higher  the numbers the higher the odds that someone who is high risk will get it, and the higher the hospitalisations and pressure on the system. And the higher the risk of yet another bloody VOC emerging.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Oh yes the narrative here is rapidly turning into "personal responsibility",

Australia borrowed the narrative from Switzerland 😕 Because of self responsibility (to wear a mask) the mask mandate in public transportation isn‘t even enforced 🤦🏻‍♀️

It definitely doesn‘t look good with Omicron. Especially now on top of a current Delta surge. 

• I Agree 2

Our state had a renewed indoor mask mandate starting today.  I had a hair appointment and needed to go by the post office.  It was sad how many people were not wearing masks.  What was really sad?  They were almost all 50 and up.  At the hair salon my guess is the two defiant ones were over 75.  

• Upvote 4

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Coronavirus 7: Ring in Delta Plus and then Omicron Takes Over
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic