IGNORED

Coronavirus 7: Ring in Delta Plus and then Omicron Takes Over

Coconut Flan

13 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm trying to stay home for the next two weeks or we see where this surge goes.

I'm seeing reports modeling a surge that peaks very quickly and drops off rapidly after that.  Fingers crossed that this is the case. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 5

Definitely hoping for the South African hairpin turn.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

No kidding people should cancel but I'm sure plenty of idiots won't. I however have picked out my PJs for the evening festivities.  (It's a miracle if I stay up past 10).

https://people.com/health/experts-plead-with-americans-to-scale-back-new-years-eve-plans-omicron-and-delta-are-coming-to-your-party/

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

5 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

It’s fun to look at all the masks we’ve used over the past two years.  We could have an exhibit called The Evolution of the Mask in Suburbia.  I remember how relieved we were when a neighbor gifted us a couple home sewn masks to get us started.  Now we have N95s and face shields in our collection.

I went with KN95s from the beginning as soon as I could get them.  I wore them or N95s until I was fully vaccinated and cases went down last summer.  I then switched to the knotted at the edge surgical masks (to close the gaps).  With Delta I'm back in KN95s and N95s.  I have quite a few surgical masks waiting for me if cases ever get low enough for me to feel comfortable.  I will wear a regular surgical mask outside these days.  I wore one when we went to the holiday things at the gardens and will wear one walking on the hospital campus outdoors.  

3 hours ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Her husband is the one that I really don't get. He works part time as a pediatric respiratory therapist. He's still planning to go to work. I said I was surprised that was allowed because the workers (and visitors) at my FIL 's care home are not allowed to work if they have been exposed to a positive case at home. She did, oh well, it's different for essential workers (excuse me! care home aides ARE essential workers!) because there are shortages ( According to her, as long as he is vaccinated and asymptomatic, he can work. WTF! 

That's scary.  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 12/29/2021 at 10:26 AM, adidas said:

My state’s numbers nearly doubled overnight. 6000 cases yesterday and over 11,000 today. I have no words. 

And over 21,000 today 😢 I live with my sister who is 36 weeks pregnant and according to hospital policy if she tests positive for covid she will have to birth alone (ie baby daddy can’t be there). My kids are currently in the middle of 2 weeks with their father, who told me a couple of days ago that due to the escalating situation they “aren’t making plans to go anywhere, just chill at home”. Today he texted me about an indoor art class thing (think paint and sip but for kids) 🙄 our kids aren’t yet vaccinated (2 weeks til their 1st dose).

Oh and our dipshit prime minister has changed the classification of “close contact” to those who have spent 4+ hours with a covid +ve person, despite our giant superspreader event at a nightclub coming from a person who was there for 3 hours.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 8

Vaxxed next door neighbor got breakthrough covid before Christmas break, but the spouse did not. 

I'm starting to see a few people on twitter (some MDs) forecasting a dismal January with so many people ill that it won't be possible to maintain basic services.   They are recommending stocking up on everything (non perishable food and TP, cleaning products).  I'm seeing no reports of hoarding in our area, fortunately. 

Our huge grocery chain here in Texas, HEB, has online shopping with curbside delivery.   I can do my full grocery order online, then select an open 30-minute time slot for pick up curbside. Currently it's a free service.  In the past, it's been a 5$ surcharge for same day,  but free if you order 24-hours out.  Pick up slots start as early as 7am or as late as 9 pm.  Do most big grocery chains do this?

For myself, minimal trips outside the house, but I've got to get back into the hand sanitizing thing.  It's so easy to have been out and about and then touch a hand to an eye, nose, or mouth.  We all do it constantly. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 11

Ugh.  It just wants to make me cry.  Bolding in the quote is mine.  

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/01/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

"Omicron is truly everywhere," Dr. Megan Ranney, a professor of emergency medicine at Brown University's School of Public Health, told CNN on Friday night. "What I am so worried about over the next month or so is that our economy is going to shut down, not because of policies from the federal government or from the state governments, but rather because so many of us are ill."

• Upvote 10
  • Love 3

31 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

Ugh.  It just wants to make me cry.  Bolding in the quote is mine.  

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/01/health/us-coronavirus-saturday/index.html

"Omicron is truly everywhere," Dr. Megan Ranney, a professor of emergency medicine at Brown University's School of Public Health, told CNN on Friday night. "What I am so worried about over the next month or so is that our economy is going to shut down, not because of policies from the federal government or from the state governments, but rather because so many of us are ill."

Imma cry right along with you.  We are already seeing signs of this, with the air travel situation. 

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, Howl said:

Do most big grocery chains do this?

Ours do - there are dedicated "click and collect" spaces in the supermarket carpark. You text a number when you're there, and open the boot and someone brings the items out and loads them in. I haven't done it at all - I am trying to support my local independent supermarket, mostly so it stays open, and they're really too small to be able to offer it - but a lot of my friends use that in preference to the home delivery option.

3 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

What I am so worried about over the next month or so is that our economy is going to shut down, not because of policies from the federal government or from the state governments, but rather because so many of us are ill."

Given you are now fine to go to work again when sick according to the CDC the economy will probably keep ticking over, as will the virus. I was reading articles from early 2020 this morning, and one of the saddest things is how much confidence in the CDC has decreased.

• Upvote 4

On 12/31/2021 at 3:25 AM, Smee said:

😢 I live with my sister who is 36 weeks pregnant and according to hospital policy if she tests positive for covid she will have to birth alone (ie baby daddy can’t be there). 

That's the policy everywhere right now. I'm 34 weeks pregnant and Mr. NQ and I were talking about how, if he tests positive at admission, I need to decide who else I'd want with me for the birth. If I test positive, it's just me. And it's a possibility: my job is extremely part-time, but public-facing, and his is mostly WFH right now but they've been having him go into the office sometimes. Add in my doctors' appointments, Elder being in school (albeit masked), and that we have frequent contact with our respective parents (childcare if nothing else)? It's a real and scary possibility. We're all vaxxed except for my youngest and most of us are boosted, but that doesn't seem to make a difference anymore.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • Love 7

12 hours ago, Howl said:

I'm starting to see a few people on twitter (some MDs) forecasting a dismal January with so many people ill that it won't be possible to maintain basic services.   They are recommending stocking up on everything (non perishable food and TP, cleaning products).  I'm seeing no reports of hoarding in our area, fortunately.

I'm hoping that a mask mandate returns in my area, but I'd bet hard against it.  I've been wearing an N95 for awhile now and should be able to minimally shop through January.  Few quick trips should do it.

Since I live in a building where plenty of people walk around without masks I've become somewhat mentally immunized against the fear of shopping.  Still, I try to keep a wide berth between myself and the indoor unmasked and I won't get into an elevator with them.  I'm trying to do laundry less than once a week but can only handle so much at once.  Not a spring chicken anymore.

I've made sure to have a backup supply of paper products on hand since the pandemic started, have a bin of "emergency" canned fruit, vegetables, and beans, probably a month's worth of protein foods in the freezer, rice and oats, and plenty of sanitizing wipes and hand cleaner (which I frequently use).  Fortunately for me, lactose-free milk is good for a long time in the fridge and I have a decent amount.  The catch is always fresh fruits and vegetables but they don't require a lot of time in stores or bulky/heavy lifting and I can easily pick up a package of chicken or juice while I'm at it.

I've found that getting to stores around when they open is helpful for avoiding crowds, but it also means that shelves may not be fully stocked.  Since I'm the polar opposite of a morning person I don't do this much, but it's an option and has been worth the effort to me a bunch of times, especially before I was vaxxed.

• Upvote 8

I just found out a grand niece of mine has covid. For the second time. She is a year old. 

She was recently hospitalized for a different medical issue and, while she should have been home recovering, her parents took her out of state for Christmas. Neither of her parents is vaccinated; nor are any of the family they celebrated with. 

I keep wondering what the doctors and nurses at the hospital think when a baby is readmitted for covid after having just been treated for another serious illness.

I just can’t with these people. They are family and I love them but I am so angry. I cannot comprehend why they have not kept that baby at home all year.  I find myself unable to even check in with any of the family because I don’t know if I can say a kind word, other than I pray this baby recovers and her parents wise up. 

• Sad 18

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/sdfd-issues-emergency-brown-out-plan-due-covid-19/509-8f180707-77a9-4942-93a6-e5cb5283ac89

So 2022 begins with the number of sick or exposed impacting more public services.  

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-01-02/l-a-school-staff-to-use-high-grade-masks-amid-omicron-surge

LA County increases school rules.  Good thing I bought the grandkids a box of surgical masks with fun characters.

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Thank You 6

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/sdfd-issues-emergency-brown-out-plan-due-covid-19/509-8f180707-77a9-4942-93a6-e5cb5283ac89

So 2022 begins with the number of sick or exposed impacting more public services.  

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-01-02/l-a-school-staff-to-use-high-grade-masks-amid-omicron-surge

LA County increases school rules.  Good thing I bought the grandkids a box of surgical masks with fun characters.

What were/are the safety requirements for the fd regarding COVID?  Is what's happening now (putting the public at risk) a direct result of staff refusing to take precautions or are they getting sick even with appropriate precautions?

Glad you have masks for the grands.

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

What were/are the safety requirements for the fd regarding COVID?  Is what's happening now (putting the public at risk) a direct result of staff refusing to take precautions or are they getting sick even with appropriate precautions?

Glad you have masks for the grands.

I suspect a combination - Omicron is very infectious, and a number of my friends who have been assiduously masking, handwashing etc are infected. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

They were required to be vaccinated and masked.  

• Thank You 4

You all, we are on the mend! I cannot get over how thankful I am that hubs and I were vaxxed.  Our symptoms were mild (I think the kids felt worse), and though I’m still tired, mostly gone now. Thank you all for the good vibes. I’ve never been more anxious and I’m so glad it turned out well. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 11

3 hours ago, treehugger said:

You all, we are on the mend! I cannot get over how thankful I am that hubs and I were vaxxed.  Our symptoms were mild (I think the kids felt worse), and though I’m still tired, mostly gone now. Thank you all for the good vibes. I’ve never been more anxious and I’m so glad it turned out well. 

Glad you're better and congratulations on your fresh antibodies.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, treehugger said:

I’m glad you are all doing well.  It was about a ten-day process from first symptoms, diagnosis, and starting to recover?  Best wishes for a speedy and total recovery.  ❤️

• Upvote 6

21 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Good thing I bought the grandkids a box of surgical masks with fun characters.

I was telling my husband a few days ago that most kids seem to have no problems with masks, especially when there's a fun aspect to it. 

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I’m glad you are all doing well.  It was about a ten-day process from first symptoms, diagnosis, and starting to recover?  Best wishes for a speedy and total recovery.  ❤️

Thank you!

It was about a week for my husband. Mine seemed to drag out longer, for the ten days.  The kids were surprisingly short.  They felt really terrible (high fevers and achy) for two days and then got better really quickly. We are still in quarantine for another few days, but my husband has been working from home anyways so except for not being able to take the kids out for fresh air, it hasn’t been too difficult. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

My SIL and niece both have Covid, and my brother has tested negative so far. Everyone was vaccinated, and my SIL had issues getting an appointment for her booster, and my niece is only 13, so she wasn't eligible until today for the Phizer booster. My brother had gotten his booster at work, which is probably what helped. Fortunately because they were at least vaccinated, the infection was much milder than it could have been. The last time I saw my brother's family was on Christmas Eve, and I had already gotten my booster in November so I would be ready for the holidays. They didn't start to get symptoms until December 30th and with the Omicron variant, it's 3 days before symptoms show up.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

Iowa political leader Amber Gustafson had this up on Facebook this evening which she had shared from Polk County's health department.

AmberPost.thumb.png.2b38da229da71cab497b0c245acb5996.png

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic