IGNORED

Coronavirus 7: Ring in Delta Plus and then Omicron Takes Over

Coconut Flan

A young friend of mine has COVID. I'm not sure if she had the third shot booster, but she had the first two shots and is not antivax. She's having a very mild case, but it worries me. She's stressed, because there's not a lot to do and she was hoping to fly home for Christmas. She's very responsible person and she isn't sure how she got COVID. Please send good vibes. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 4

It’s everywhere around me 😭 ex’s school, my kids’ school, their karate, our church. Stuff is being cancelled left right and centre - swimming lessons, my youngest’s preschool graduation, Christmas events. I’ve been double vaxxed with AZ which is apparently really ineffective against omicron, I’m not eligible for a booster yet. So bunkering down as much as I can but I haven’t finished Christmas shopping yet. I share my house with 4 kids who can’t be vaccinated yet and my pregnant sister (who is double dosed with Pfizer but that doesn’t stop me worrying for her).

I’m so annoyed at our state government (NSW) removing mask mandates, contact tracing and restrictions on unvaccinated all at once while our case numbers hit record highs. Why couldn’t we have kept the masks at least??

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Love 8

@Smee and @adidas I'm so sorry. We're stable(ish) for now, but I saw the NSW figures today and was shocked. I can't get over the minimalisation of this by certain people in politica and the media, it's really distressing.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

This is not good. Not good at all. Then again, I'm preaching to the choir.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/this-is-a-whole-new-animal-breakthrough-infections-rattle-nyc-amid-omicron-surge/3456543/

Oh and flu season is here again too. With this less than jolly headline of a mismatch between vaccine and which strain is really around.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/16/health/flu-vaccine-mismatch/index.html

Stay safe everyone. 

All the Omicron headlines are depressing as hell.

Spoiler

20211218_082922.jpg

Edited by WiseGirl
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 2

On 12/12/2021 at 1:46 PM, older than allosaurs said:

Doug's my state senator, and he is a real pill on pretty much any topic you could mention. I think the next election cycle will finally take him out (assuming he survives Covid). No one locally has been willing/able to provide public updates on where he is or how he's doing. He despises the press, which may be part of the radio silence, but it's odd that no one in his office is trying to help him seem responsive about the disastrous flooding that has hit his district.

The Seattle Times is just now reporting that he died of Covid, age 52ish. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 5

2 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

The Seattle Times is just now reporting that he died of Covid, age 52ish. 

Yup -- 52, wife and two daughters.

A bunch of people are batting slogans around on local Facebook about it -- many of them saying that just because he supported freedom of choice doesn't mean he wasn't vaccinated himself. I'd be surprised if he was though.

I disliked him politically for a lot of reasons and personally for a couple minor interactions we had over the years, but I'm sorry he didn't survive.

• Upvote 3

On 12/14/2021 at 9:17 PM, adidas said:

Things are exploding here, and summer Christmas parties are likely to make it much worse.

I have had my booster but it’s not making me feel very confident right now. 

Same here.  Both Mr. No and I are boosted and have decided to stay home for Christmas.   Which means calling up my sister and cancelling the tentative plans we discussed.  She won't be happy but after her latest outburst over something that happened in our family years ago (long story) I have been stressed out about seeing her anyway. 

Also MIL is in an assisted living facility, Mr. No wants to see her but with cases rising we are thinking about not doing that either.   Because she is not vaccinated (antivax, anti-mask and Covid is not that bad) and SIL who frequently sees her is also the same, Mr. No is concerned that if MIL ever gets Covid it will come from SIL. 

The latest in-law family drama is that SIL's son-in-law was in MIL's words, "forced to get the shot" because of his work, which we think is good for him but such a shame that they see this as so negative.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 2

54 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

The latest in-law family drama is that SIL's son-in-law was in MIL's words, "forced to get the shot" because of his work, which we think is good for him but such a shame that they see this as so negative.

I'm concerned that all the people "forced to get the shot" will not follow through with the 2nd shot and definitely not the booster, which pretty much defeats the purpose of the vaccine.  Vaxxed people are not well protected from covid w/ one shot; protection increases greatly with the 2nd shot and there is great protection w/ the booster.   The greatest protection from Omicron variant comes only with the booster. 

Reading an NPR article today, it's likely that Omicron is just as virulent as Delta and makes people really sick.  However, with the now large number of vaxxed and boosted people, there are fewer people infected w Omicron who are becoming desperately ill.  Vaxxed + boosted breakthrough cases typically result in mild symptoms not requiring hospitalization. 

One more thing.  Omicron has a uniquely characteristic symptom: a scratchy throat.   Lots of people coming down with covid in the past reported sore throats.  Omicron, however, seems to announce its presence with a distinctively scratchy, rather than sore, throat. Sounds miserable. 

Edited by Howl
  • Sad 3
  • Thank You 7

Many people are upgrading their mask fu as Omicron is making lightning fast inroads.

N95 and KN95 are the gold standard, but, especially on Amazon, there are an incredible number of counterfit N95 and IN95 masks being sold as the real thing and Amazon is definitely NOT on top of it. 

The difference between N95 and KN95:   The N95s typically have bands that strap over the back of your head, which is what makes them snug. They can be uncomfortable to wear for long periods.

The KN95s, which the Food and Drug Administration has approved for emergency use by health care workers, have ear loops for a tight fit that is slightly more comfortable than an N95. The downside is that the KN95 leaks a bit more air than an N95.

There are some great sources to find certified masks. 

I discovered that there is a mask manufacturing facility less than 15 minutes from my house.  Their original goal was to manufacture a million masks a day. 

This company also does extensive testing on almost all masks currently available and maintains a database of their testing results on their web site at 

https://www.armbrustusa.com/pages/mask-testing

Products from ArmbrustUSA and their affiliates are here: 

https://www.armbrustusa.com/collections/medical-face-masks-made-in-austin-tx

CDC: Counterfeit Respirators / Misrepresentation of NIOSH-Approval

CDC: NIOSH-approved N95 Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators

New York Times: 

How to Buy a Real N95 Mask Online  Fakes and little-known brands still abound, even as health officials have advised us to up our mask game. Here’s what to do.  (Possibly dated; the article is from last February). 

• Thank You 7
  • Love 1

These masks, on Amazon, are very comfortable, and seal tightly around my face. I like that they are easy to breathe in for long periods of time, like on an airplane flight or any time I'm going to be in a crowd indoors. I'm pretty confident that they aren't counterfeit because the Kimberly Clark packaging looked legit and they are still being sold a year after I bought mine.

The downside is that you look like a duck wearing them. So stay away from mirrors.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

24 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

I'm pretty confident that they aren't counterfeit because the Kimberly Clark packaging looked legit and they are still being sold a year after I bought mine.

Yes, they do look legit. 

24 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

The downside is that you look like a duck wearing them.

They are informally called duck bill masks. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I read he was unvaccinated, it was his second time having COVID, and he had underlying medical issues.

• Upvote 2

Uggggg…I know an unvaccinated college student who has popped + for the third time ( 3 separate incidents). This kids has an anti vax mother, and has never had any vaccines.  The entire family, save the dad who is vaccinated, has had covid at least once. GD these people.

• Sad 7

We are close to 20 friends and family now. I am so upset. Flights are being cancelled, and weddings are being impacted. 

We have decided to do a family iso for a couple of weeks. 

• Love 14

On 12/19/2021 at 9:23 AM, Howl said:

However, with the now large number of vaxxed and boosted people, there are fewer people infected w Omicron who are becoming desperately ill.  Vaxxed + boosted breakthrough cases typically result in mild symptoms not requiring hospitalization. 

My sister was notified of a workplace exposure last week and since she was dealing with cold symptoms, and while she was pretty sure it was a cold, she got tested over this past weekend because with Omicron there was no way to be sure.   She was negative.

In mid-November I came down with a cold and was monitoring myself in case it was Covid.  This just before the Omicron was reported in South Africa so didn't even know about it.  But if I had the same cold symptoms now I would be going for a test.  

On 12/19/2021 at 9:23 AM, Howl said:

I'm concerned that all the people "forced to get the shot" will not follow through with the 2nd shot and definitely not the booster, which pretty much defeats the purpose of the vaccine.  Vaxxed people are not well protected from covid w/ one shot; protection increases greatly with the 2nd shot and there is great protection w/ the booster.   The greatest protection from Omicron variant comes only with the booster.

I am not sure if in the case of SIL's son-in-law this was his first or his second shot.  Given the timing, this might be his second if his workplace needs to comply with the OSHA Vaccine ETS rules by early January.    My workplace is complying and has notified workers that if they are unvaccinated, they have been advised of the necessary timing of initial round of shots in order to report as vaccinated by the deadline.   Timing of son-in-law's shot seems to be the same for second shot.

And I was not surprised to hear of his "forced shot".  I work in same industry as him and most of the big employers are not messing around when it comes to compliance with the OSHA rules. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

23 minutes ago, adidas said:

Two weeks ago my state (NSW) was recording around 200 cases a day. Today is 3700 😩

Is this because of Omicron?  We are trying to decide if we are going to travel in January, but we’re getting discouraged as cases go up.  We are both double vaxxed  plus booster, but still…. 

• Love 4

Ugh here ( belgium) omicron is creeping up close. Neighbouring countries have gone into a harsh lockdowns yet again. They will give us christmas with max 2 people , but government will push down hard again after the 26 th. Booster shots are being rolled out in super speed as 95% of the people are 2x vaccinated ( 12 and upwards) . We are working at home ,but they try to spare the kids ( still going to school and using public transport). Meh ! Luckilly i have a stellar relationship and we live a quiet life at home ( boardgames are our 1 favorite thing to do) if anyone bringing it in , it will be the kids. It kinda feels like there is no escape really :( ( we are not sure we never caught it, hubbie was deadly sick for weeks in the beginning of feb 2020 with quite severe complications afterward ( permanent loss of function) , we will never know. I already thought this would be a long stretch, but i never expected it would be years. Keep safe everyone ! 

• Love 12

5 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

Is this because of Omicron?  We are trying to decide if we are going to travel in January, but we’re getting discouraged as cases go up.  We are both double vaxxed  plus booster, but still…. 

It sure is - omicron is so darn contagious! 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Coronavirus 7: Ring in Delta Plus and then Omicron Takes Over
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic