IGNORED

Coronavirus 7: Ring in Delta Plus and then Omicron Takes Over

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Knight of Ni said:

Just this weekend my sister in law used Colin Powell as an example for why the vaccine doesn't work. I was and am so fucking disgusted. 

I hope the next intelligent species to appear in the universe is better at statistics than human laypeople are... 😢

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I hope the next intelligent species to appear in the universe is better at statistics than human laypeople are... 😢

I just don't understand what's so difficult to understand. No vaccine is 100% effective. I thought people knew that. The Mayo Clinic calculates that the Pfizer vaccine is 91% effective. I'm not a mathematician but 91 > 0. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 6
  • I Agree 3

We have a Google smart speaker downstairs so that mom and dad can listen to the local radio station over lunch.  Mom went and told it to play that station at lunch.  Occasionally if we don't enunciate clearly enough it plays another station with similar call letters.  That happened today and we only realized it when that station started playing some misinformation on COVID.  Mom told the speaker to stop playing before I could do it myself.  (I wasn't about to listen to some reich wing bullshit on the pandemic).  She told the speaker to play the local station again and this time it played the correct station.  I was relieved when it turned out not to be the local station airing misinformation.  

That local station is pretty much run by a bunch of Branch Trumpvidians, but even they have enough sense to realize there would be some fairly significant blowback from their advertisers if they went the fuck face route and started airing straight up GQP propaganda on the pandemic.

• Upvote 5

@SassyPants  I just got boosted today too!  Congratulations! 

4 hours ago, Knight of Ni said:

The Mayo Clinic calculates that the Pfizer vaccine is 91% effective. I'm not a mathematician but 91 > 0. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) 

But, but, then you would have to follow the science instead of you know, following whatever fool spouts off on Facebook, TikTok, or Instagram says...

• Upvote 3

My booster is scheduled for right after work Dec 9 (same small town I work in, does covid shots in Thursdays)  Granted I’m almost as concerned about colds, flu (flu shot was in early October ) and heaven knows what else.

)

• Upvote 2

Every histrionic talking head on every talking head show this weekend: OH. MY. GAWD.  Omicron.  sCaRY! Run away.  Run away. Run away!   SOUTH AFRICA.  Ohmuhgawd. RUN. AWAY! 

Fauci: Don't panic yet. Wear your mask, get your booster. 

Although South Africa has a low vaccination rate for whatever reason (I think somewhere around 25%) they have an extremely robust monitoring and genome sequencing system.  This variant may or may not have originated there.  No one knows.  But they are the ones that identified it. 

It's not been found yet in the US, I'd guess because we have shit for monitoring and sequencing here in the US. 

I thought from early on that self testing would be the key to stopping the spread. We are so far into the pandemic, there will be over a million dead before it's all over and there still are not free COVID test kits available to the general public so people can self monitor and self test.  Twenty-minute kits are available at local pharmacies for around $25 a pop, prohibitive for most people.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Howl said:

over a million dead before it's all over and there still are not free COVID test kits available to the general public so people can self monitor and self test.  Twenty-minute kits are available at local pharmacies for around $25 a pop, prohibitive for most people.  

We just bought a testing kit for two at our local Wahlgren's: $25 for the two. We also have a testing kit for two for about $25 on order from Amazon. We (both fully vaxxed and boosted) plan on traveling in two weeks and want to test before we leave and when we get back.

Edited by FiveAcres
left out words
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Although South Africa has a low vaccination rate for whatever reason (I think somewhere around 25%) they have an extremely robust monitoring and genome sequencing system.  This variant may or may not have originated there.  No one knows.  But they are the ones that identified it. 

And now because of the travel ban South Africa doesn’t have enough reagents for the important reasearch on Omicron, medicines and vaccines. We can‘t give enough thanks to SA for detecting this variant.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Howl said:

Every histrionic talking head on every talking head show this weekend: OH. MY. GAWD.  Omicron.  sCaRY! Run away.  Run away. Run away!   SOUTH AFRICA.  Ohmuhgawd. RUN. AWAY! 

Fauci: Don't panic yet. Wear your mask, get your booster. 

It's not been found yet in the US, I'd guess because we have shit for monitoring and sequencing here in the US. 

I thought from early on that self testing would be the key to stopping the spread. We are so far into the pandemic, there will be over a million dead before it's all over and there still are not free COVID test kits available to the general public so people can self monitor and self test.  Twenty-minute kits are available at local pharmacies for around $25 a pop, prohibitive for most people.  

On the other hand, my WW leader just tested positive for covid.  And yes, she was vaccinated.   Way too close to me.  She was at an in person meeting Saturday morning that I popped into for my weekly weigh in.  I was masked ( it’s held in a hotel meeting room and I don’t want cold/flu either).  She started showing symptoms on Saturday afternoons which means she was likely exposed etc days before that.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 6

Yes, Marcus Lamb/Daystar was quite the anti-vax promotion machine.  It’s all Satan’s fault, you know.

In other news, some constituents are wondering whatever happened to Washington state senator and anti-vaxxer Doug Ericksen, who was apparently flown from El Salvador to a Florida hospital with COVID-19 a couple weeks ago.  Inquiring minds… 

• Upvote 4

Latest I found on the interwebs is that he got Regeneron (monoclonal antibodies) in the Florida hospital and supposedly was recovering nicely.  No updates after Nov. 20 &  zero information on his official web site. 

My primary care physician told me that Regeneron works and works incredibly well within 10 days of infection.  If he was able to get to FL within that 10-day window, he could be recovering and maybe ready to head home.  

Also, he sounds like a complete asshole, but that's just me.  He won his district by a miniscule margin, and there were some attempts at a recall.  He missed tons of votes while travelling and was double dipping with other major jobs while an elected official. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

11 hours ago, clueliss said:

On the other hand, my WW leader just tested positive for covid.  And yes, she was vaccinated.

Sorry if I gave the impression I was minimizing the COVID threat. I'm still double masking, not eating inside restaurants, attending any family events.  The new normal for the foreseeable future. 

I now take immune suppressing medication for rheumatoid arthritis with more being added to that regimen, so doubly cautious. 

• Upvote 4

On 11/30/2021 at 3:14 PM, FiveAcres said:

We just bought a testing kit for two at our local Wahlgren's: $25 for the two. We also have a testing kit for two for about $25 on order from Amazon. We (both fully vaxxed and boosted) plan on traveling in two weeks and want to test before we leave and when we get back.

OMG, that is so expensive. I can buy 1 test for 2,99€ in any grocery or pharmacy. My daughter can take them home from school for free. She tests herself at least twice a week. So every time I am going to visit my parents (at least once a week) ,  I am doing a home test. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Howl said:

Yup, this is still going on.  How could it not be?

Yeah I had heard that and mentioned it in the covid stories thread.  I think you all can guess how full my field of fornicates is right now about this.

TheGloriousTaleOfMyFieldOfFornicates.thumb.png.cb085e8dc084cfc363fa84cbce3afdce.png

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

20 hours ago, Workingmom said:

OMG, that is so expensive. I can buy 1 test for 2,99€ in any grocery or pharmacy. My daughter can take them home from school for free. She tests herself at least twice a week. So every time I am going to visit my parents (at least once a week) ,  I am doing a home test. 

Are you in Germany? 

Here's a site listing various anti-vaxxers who have come down with COVID

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/

Includes Lamb and some other familiar faces,

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, 47of74 said:

Here's a site listing various anti-vaxxers who have come down with COVID

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/

Includes Lamb and some other familiar faces,

This site is one of my guilty pleasures.  The people listed are ones who pushed anti-vax conspiracy theories in a big way.  Many are now deceased.  Some have “repented” and now urge others to get vaccinated.  It’s useful (educational?) to browse just to see the overwhelming number of anti-vax memes, etc., that are circulating.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Smash! said:

Are you in Germany? 

No, the Netherlands. I am happy with the relatively easy acces to testing. (I work in healthcare so I can call at 7.30, get tested at 11.00 and have my result at 17.00). But we are so slow with the boosters. Totally unhappy with the way our gouvernement is dealing with this crisis. Too quick to relax, too late to tighten the rules. And so disappointed in a lot of people ( end of rand)

• Love 5

Someone diagnosed with Omicron visited Manhattan so it's reasonable to assume that community spread is already occurring there.  Am expecting news of it in the DC area any day now.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/ny-covid-cases-top-11k-for-1st-time-since-january-as-2nd-us-omicron-case-is-linked-to-manhattan/3431126/

I used to watch an occasional horror movie.  Just need to walk out my door now.

• Upvote 6

FB is a stinking shitpile of a social media platform;

Facebook has sold ads promoting anti-vaccine messages, comparing the US government's response to Covid-19 to Nazi Germany, casting doubt on the result of the 2020 election, and even pushing political violence.

On Monday, Fox News personality Lara Logan caused outrage by comparing Dr. Anthony Fauci to a notorious Nazi doctor known as the "Angel of Death" — around the same time ads were running on Facebook promoting a sweater emblazed with the words, "I'm originally from America but I currently reside in 1941 Germany."

One ad-buy in late August promoted a t-shirt that read "Proudly Unpoisoned" next to an image of a syringe. The company paid Facebook approximately $2,500 to reach up to 450,000 Facebook users with the anti-vaccine ad. According to Facebook data, the ads were most viewed by Facebook users in Texas, Florida, and California.

A spokesperson for Meta, Facebook's parent company, said the ads comparing the US Covid-19 response to Nazi Germany, comparing vaccines to the Holocaust, and the ad suggesting the vaccine was poison went against Facebook's vaccine misinformation policies.

• WTF 4
  • I Agree 1

Got my booster yesterday afternoon! I'm very happy to have been able to get it before Christmas when I will next see elderly family members (who are also fully vaccinated and boosted!). I also finally secured an appointment for my fiance. He kept forgetting to do it and I was like "hey, give me your insurance card, etc., I'm finding you an appointment!" and he's getting his booster on Monday!

• Upvote 3
  • Love 5

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Coronavirus 7: Ring in Delta Plus and then Omicron Takes Over
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic