IGNORED

Coronavirus 7: Ring in Delta Plus and then Omicron Takes Over

Coconut Flan

My COVID complaint of the day (aside from lack of saltines in the store) is I wish the medical establishment would find a better word than mild to use associated with Omicron.  My visit to get my hair done has shown me the average person hears Omicron usually results in mild symptoms translates that to it's like a mild common cold.  By that they do mean barely a cold.  What the medical establishment means by mild is you didn't end up in the hospital.  That's contributing greatly to the 80 somethings I saw getting their hair done maskless.  

This from Los Angles proving this is not a mild cold:

https://www.kcra.com/article/la-county-most-daily-covid-deaths-since-april-2021/38780719

My doctor sent out a message to his patients reminding us that mild does not mean what most people think it does.  He said his "mild" COVID patients are seeing symptoms about halfway between a bad cold or flu and the original COVID.  Thus ends today's rant.  😄

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

6 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

My COVID complaint of the day (aside from lack of saltines in the store) is I wish the medical establishment would find a better word than mild to use associated with Omicron.  My visit to get my hair done has shown me the average person hears Omicron usually results in mild symptoms translates that to it's like a mild common cold.  By that they do mean barely a cold.  What the medical establishment means by mild is you didn't end up in the hospital.  That's contributing greatly to the 80 somethings I saw getting their hair done maskless.  

This from Los Angles proving this is not a mild cold:

https://www.kcra.com/article/la-county-most-daily-covid-deaths-since-april-2021/38780719

My doctor sent out a message to his patients reminding us that mild does not mean what most people think it does.  He said his "mild" COVID patients are seeing symptoms about halfway between a bad cold or flu and the original COVID.  Thus ends today's rant.  😄

This. "Mild" does not mean it's like a cold. I'm currently waiting to hear back from a friend whose toddler just went to the hospital for a high fever from covid. (Good thoughts/mojo/prayers/vibes would be appreciated.)

• I Agree 2
  • Love 5

7 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

I wish the medical establishment would find a better word than mild to use associated with Omicron

Totally agree. It's a real failure in messaging as some people hear mild and think a case of the sniffles, not I can't get out of bed for a week but I'm not sick enough to need a hospital bed. Mild influenza knocked me out for two weeks when I was in my twenties. The other problem is that omicron (like the other variants) has a wide range of outcomes - for some people (more likely to be younger, healthier and vaccinated - but no guarantee) it really is a case of the sniffles, for others at higher risk it isn't. The messaging around how to evaluate your actual risk from getting infected needs to improve and be better communicated.

• Upvote 3

@Howl We‘re in the same boat, I‘m terrified of Longcovid and ME/CFS (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) as well.

I think society has underestimated viruses and it‘s long term impact on our body enormously. If I recall correctly research of viruses and anti virals wasn‘t well funded pre-pandemic. 

I shudder when I think how careless I was even a few years ago while travelling through remote places in South East Asia. I didn‘t properly protect myself from mosquitoes that cause Malaria, Dengue Fever and Chickungunya Fever and thought it wouldn’t be that bad if I caught one of those diseases. Of course I didn’t think of the possible long term complications.

• Upvote 4

The coworker at a sister plant posted on Facebook earlier that her husband passed after they removed him from a vent.  He’d been on the vent for over 10 days.  To keep him on the vent, they needed to do a tracheotomy.  And that requires the patient to remain on their back.  In this case, he did very badly on his back and did best face down.  They’ve got a couple of kids.  

And I agree on the “mild” label the media keeps using.

• Sad 8

4 hours ago, Smash! said:

I didn‘t properly protect myself from mosquitoes that cause Malaria, Dengue Fever and Chickungunya Fever and thought it wouldn’t be that bad if I caught one of those diseases.

I know that dengue fever is occasionally reported near the Texas/Mexico border but two or three years ago I was gobsmacked to learn that at one point dengue fever was endemic in the southeastern tier of the US and Texas.  In one particular outbreak in my city in 1885, about 25% of the residents were stricken with dengue and outbreaks of dengue continued until the 1940s, when spraying DDT for mosquito eradication became common.  But it's coming back.

Dengue, aka “Breakbone Fever,” Is Back   The vicious virus has re-established itself in the South, and mosquitoes are carrying it north.

• WTF 2