IGNORED

Remnant Fellowship 21: 53 Standing Ovations and I Move to Brentwood!

nelliebelle1197

On 10/22/2021 at 10:48 AM, ManyGoats said:

find it so fascinating that in RF a wedding preempts a church service. Wednesday's service was like a wedding shower (without gifts) honoring the couple. And Saturday's service will be the wedding. I wonder what is the reasoning behind that.

The weddings that I attended had “blessings showers” held the night before the wedding. Kind of like a rehearsal dinner but with a lot more people. And instead of blessing the bride and groom. Everyone who spoke (including the bride and groom) spoke only about how the RF had blessed them by changing them into godly people with “AH-mazing!” Lives. They were held at members houses … One was even held at Ashlawn)  I wonder if that’s what the wednesday service was supposed to be. 

Edited by RFfamANON
  • Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 5

33 minutes ago, RFfamANON said:

The weddings that I attended had “blessings showers” held the night before the wedding. Kind of like a rehearsal dinner but with a lot more people. And instead of blessing the bride and groom. Everyone who spoke (including the bride and groom) spoke only about how the RF had blessed them by changing them into godly people with “AH-mazing!” Lives. They were held at members houses … One was even held at Ashlawn)  I wonder if that’s what the wednesday service was supposed to be. 

I watched the wedding service and a Blessing Shower was mentioned as having happened the evening before.  So really lengthy focus on this couple over three days, sounds like.  

Elizabeth Shamblin Hannah posted this lengthy praise of her mother on the Weigh Down Ministries FB page…

FRIENDS of Gwen and the Weigh Down Ministries….  

Thank you all soooo much for all of these positive, supportive posts! Keep it going, my brothers and sisters!! It means so much to hear from people around the world who are supportive of Gwen and this ministry that has set people FREE from addictions for YEARS! We are not going to stop from seeking and following God’s lead!  
     False accusations are always here today and gone tomorrow — and sometimes you can never get away from them…. Media thrives upon rumors and negativity, and this is what “sells.” Negative media has hit almost every celebrity - and these public figures cannot “win” no matter how hard they try — and negative media has certainly hit ANYONE who stands up to make a difference in this world for the better.  
     Remember that enemies of God falsely accused so many righteous people in the Bible… and they also falsely accused Jesus and the disciples- so there is nothing new under the sun. There have always been people that have hated the message of the Gospel of Christ, and because my mother preached based upon the Bible, there will be hate and rumors that swirl around her name- and around those who uphold this message. Do not fall for the lies, keep coming to our websites and/or visit us - if you really want TRUTH. :) Jesus said that the door was narrow, and few there are that find it. So, you must seek truth. 
     But let us NOT focus on defamatory lies and what the world thinks - let us all unite together and focus only on what GOD thinks! God is the Ruler of All…. And HE is the One we need to keep our eyes on. My mother set this example of focusing on The Father, and it has continued to bless my life and the lives of countless others. 
          Welcome to those that are new…. And let’s get ready for a Fall and Winter that are focused on doing the will of our wonderful God! Let us unite to focus on the TRUTH of the blessings, hope, health, joy, and true love found here at the Weigh Down Ministries and Remnant Fellowship Churches  —- the truth that has set thousands of people FREE from addictions with love and care and kindness. Jesus said, “You will know them by their fruit.” So let us focus on the truth of the fruit of our lives- for the TRUTH WILL ALWAYS RISE TO THE TOP… and the love of God cannot be taken away from us!!  
       To all of my mother’s friends around the world — no matter your background, race, or what church you go to— know that you are not only my mother’s friend — but you are also MY friends as well!! You have a huge number of friends here with us! 

Take heart, we will move forward together in LOVE, for there is no greater way!! 
       Cling to the scriptures and the truth, for “the TRUTH will set you free…” 

PS —- Can I just say one more thing — that the loss of Gwen Shamblin Lara on this planet is a tragic loss. Her love for God first will be remembered as a legacy, and I will see to it that I get the TRUTH about her life and sincere love for God out to the world. She was the Genuine Article, and the world needs to know the truth. Watching her daily convicted me to be a better person. She was genuine, loving, kind, and peaceful in every way.  Please pray for me as I get thru this tragic loss of a mother, a best friend, and an incredible teacher of God’s Holy Word - as well as the loss of my beloved husband at the same time. This life is short and hard, but I choose to dwell on what is to come in the After Life…. I cannot thank this group enough for all of the love, support, and ENERGY you bring to me and my children! We LOVE you guys sooooo much!!!!! We will get thru this together, and we will NOT STOP loving our Great Almighty Father — for there IS … NO… OTHER… WAY!!!!!! : ) God is in control… and He is a GOOD GOD who will take care of His people if we cling to Him!!!!!

Much respect and love to each of you here, 
              Elizabeth Shamblin Hannah 
             (Daughter of the beloved Gwen Shamblin Lara)

Edited by CRAnn
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 14

5 hours ago, CRAnn said: 

Elizabeth Shamblin Hannah posted this lengthy praise of her mother on the Weigh Down Ministries FB page…

Thanks for sharing the long passage by Elizabeth. It is amazing to see the mindset that is still a part of RF. As I read through it I felt a mixture of sadness and anger. 

I felt sadness because it is clear that the leaders of RF are completely blinded. They want to dismiss the documentary as “false accusations” from “enemies of God.” They want to claim that they have the TRUTH (always fully capitalized) and everything else is lies. From things Gwen taught while we were a part of RF, I know that if a prominent religious leader was killed in a manner such as she was she would have said that it was God’s judgment. But this writing makes it clear that they will not examine what they have done and people will continue to be hurt and abused by their controlling practices. 

I felt anger because there is no remorse for anything they have done. The documentary brought that out regarding the death of the Smith boy - according to Gwen they did nothing wrong. They will not consider the stories of real experiences of real people that have damaged and, in some cases, destroyed lives. However I do believe that the lack of responsibility will lead to greater consequences. 

• Upvote 16
  • Love 3

That's a whole lot of words to say "Don't watch the documentary, It's false because I say so! And my mom was the godliest prophet ever. Gwen 4EVA!"

• Upvote 21
  • Haha 8
  • I Agree 6

2 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

That's a whole lot of words to say "Don't watch the documentary, It's false because I say so! And my mom was the godliest prophet ever. Gwen 4EVA!"

Exactly… and “y’all stay on board, you hear!”  Only a brief word about the loss of her husband at the end and no word about the loss of other lives.  Seemed to me like a sales pitch for Weigh Down classes.  

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 5
  • Thank You 1

6 hours ago, RFfamANON said:

The blessing showers I went to were a mix of hilarious and disgusting. ALL focus on Gwen... We kept tally marks and while I don't remember the numbers, the number of times Gwen was praised compared to the number of times God was praised wasn't even close! They can say what they want, but they worship Gwen 🤷‍♀️

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8

6 hours ago, CRAnn said:

Welcome to those that are new….

Interesting comment from Elizabeth. Is this the case, that they do actually have new numbers? Or are they simply trying to make things sound better than they are? Perhaps they're trying to spin the situation a bit with regards to membership numbers.

Also, sorry to sound petty, but not a fan of the text speak being used in her message, though admittedly it's not a big feature. It definitely feels like it could use a proofread and a bit of polish. Very informal sounding and not too mature either, from someone supposedly the leader of the church.

Edited by FrumperedCat
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3

My husband I watched Episode 1 of the series last night. His comment was "what the fuckity fuck is up with her head? The skinnier she gets, the bigger her hair gets."

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 12

On 10/17/2021 at 12:38 AM, Baxsmom said:

And he would not touch people rebelling against God with a ten foot pole

I know this was posted a while back but I can't get it out of my mind. The hatefulness and arrogance he displayed was unbelievable. And it shows who he really does follow. Not Jesus, that's for sure.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Blue said:

The blessing showers I went to were a mix of hilarious and disgusting. ALL focus on Gwen... We kept tally marks

This made me laugh out loud ! These showers were quite possibly the most disconcerting events I have ever attended. Your description has set me free!  So thanks!!

• Upvote 8

10 hours ago, CRAnn said:

I watched the wedding service and a Blessing Shower was mentioned as having happened the evening before.  So really lengthy focus on this couple over three days, sounds like.  

FRIENDS of Gwen and the Weigh Down Ministries….  

Thank you all soooo much for all of these positive, supportive posts! Keep it going, my brothers and sisters!! It means so much to hear from people around the world who are supportive of Gwen and this ministry that has set people FREE from addictions for YEARS! We are not going to stop from seeking and following God’s lead!  
     False accusations are always here today and gone tomorrow — and sometimes you can never get away from them…. Media thrives upon rumors and negativity, and this is what “sells.” Negative media has hit almost every celebrity - and these public figures cannot “win” no matter how hard they try — and negative media has certainly hit ANYONE who stands up to make a difference in this world for the better.  
     Remember that enemies of God falsely accused so many righteous people in the Bible… and they also falsely accused Jesus and the disciples- so there is nothing new under the sun. There have always been people that have hated the message of the Gospel of Christ, and because my mother preached based upon the Bible, there will be hate and rumors that swirl around her name- and around those who uphold this message. Do not fall for the lies, keep coming to our websites and/or visit us - if you really want TRUTH. :) Jesus said that the door was narrow, and few there are that find it. So, you must seek truth. 
     But let us NOT focus on defamatory lies and what the world thinks - let us all unite together and focus only on what GOD thinks! God is the Ruler of All…. And HE is the One we need to keep our eyes on. My mother set this example of focusing on The Father, and it has continued to bless my life and the lives of countless others. 
          Welcome to those that are new…. And let’s get ready for a Fall and Winter that are focused on doing the will of our wonderful God! Let us unite to focus on the TRUTH of the blessings, hope, health, joy, and true love found here at the Weigh Down Ministries and Remnant Fellowship Churches  —- the truth that has set thousands of people FREE from addictions with love and care and kindness. Jesus said, “You will know them by their fruit.” So let us focus on the truth of the fruit of our lives- for the TRUTH WILL ALWAYS RISE TO THE TOP… and the love of God cannot be taken away from us!!  
       To all of my mother’s friends around the world — no matter your background, race, or what church you go to— know that you are not only my mother’s friend — but you are also MY friends as well!! You have a huge number of friends here with us! 

Take heart, we will move forward together in LOVE, for there is no greater way!! 
       Cling to the scriptures and the truth, for “the TRUTH will set you free…” 

PS —- Can I just say one more thing — that the loss of Gwen Shamblin Lara on this planet is a tragic loss. Her love for God first will be remembered as a legacy, and I will see to it that I get the TRUTH about her life and sincere love for God out to the world. She was the Genuine Article, and the world needs to know the truth. Watching her daily convicted me to be a better person. She was genuine, loving, kind, and peaceful in every way.  Please pray for me as I get thru this tragic loss of a mother, a best friend, and an incredible teacher of God’s Holy Word - as well as the loss of my beloved husband at the same time. This life is short and hard, but I choose to dwell on what is to come in the After Life…. I cannot thank this group enough for all of the love, support, and ENERGY you bring to me and my children! We LOVE you guys sooooo much!!!!! We will get thru this together, and we will NOT STOP loving our Great Almighty Father — for there IS … NO… OTHER… WAY!!!!!! : ) God is in control… and He is a GOOD GOD who will take care of His people if we cling to Him!!!!!

Much respect and love to each of you here, 
              Elizabeth Shamblin Hannah 
             (Daughter of the beloved Gwen Shamblin Lara)

Wow, the documentary got Elizabeth to step up...

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, FrumperedCat said:

Also, sorry to sound petty, but not a fan of the text speak being used in her message, though admittedly it's not a big feature. It definitely feels like it could use a proofread and a bit of polish. Very informal sounding and not too mature either, from someone supposedly the leader of the church.

Gwen was a terrible writer. She had run on sentences. She would babble. I think people had a hard time proofreading her. How could you proofread what god gave the prophet?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 3

I can't even image what Elizabeth Shamblin is going through with the loss of her mom and huband but her message on the Weigh Down Ministries FB page was culty, gas lighting crazy talk.  Her mom would be proud.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 5

6 hours ago, Blue said:

The blessing showers I went to were a mix of hilarious and disgusting. ALL focus on Gwen... We kept tally marks and while I don't remember the numbers, the number of times Gwen was praised compared to the number of times God was praised wasn't even close! They can say what they want, but they worship Gwen 🤷‍♀️

Sounds about right. Fun fact about weddings. You have to submit your vows for approval to the wedding committee. I was told to add in a bit about how the message at Remnant and the teachings of Gwen has built the foundation of our relationship and has changed our lives. 

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 3
  • Sad 2
  • Eyeroll 7
  • WTF 5
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 2

45 minutes ago, RFsurvivor said:

Sounds about right. Fun fact about weddings. You have to submit your vows for approval to the wedding committee. I was told to add in a bit about how the message at Remnant and the teachings of Gwen has built the foundation of our relationship and has changed our lives. 

Indeed. Couple’s vows were (at the time we were in) heavily policed and combed over by leaders. I am currently reading through the email convo(s) between yours truly and two leaders, one of which was involved in the planet crash. These emails make me want to fucking vomit. The more I read these, the more I am reminded of how desperate I was at that time.

Edited by RFSurvivor_2
  • Upvote 4
  • Sad 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 9

On 10/20/2021 at 6:18 PM, rabbitholejulie said:

I'm wondering if Gwen and the church started to realize that Joe was scamming them- none of the assets were in his name which is telling...

I wondered how long Gwen and Joe were actually married so I asked the internet!  Oddly, several entries in, it's only 2018, with no actual wedding date.  Whichever, it wasn't long.  I don't think Joe would have lasted for many more years if the crash hadn't happened. 

Also, this unattributed tidbit: 

How did Joe Lara meet Gwen Shamblin?   While living in Nashville, Lara worked as a handyman, which is what initially introduced him to Remnant Fellowship Church — and Gwen. ... Former members suspect that Shamblin also saw her marriage to Lara as a strategic move that would allow her to finally have a publicly supportive husband by her side.

And beyond strategic,  recognizing the huge cred accruing to all powerful Gwen from scoring moderately hunky younger Joe as a husband! 

• Upvote 12
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 1

On 10/25/2021 at 6:49 AM, CRAnn said:

.....the loss of Gwen Shamblin Lara on this planet is a tragic loss. Her love for God first will be remembered as a legacy.....

Yes, she was a legend in her own mind.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 9

On 10/25/2021 at 9:49 AM, CRAnn said:

It means so much to hear from people around the world who are supportive of Gwen and this ministry that has set people FREE from addictions for YEARS!

I am going to guess majority of people in RF are not true food addicts.

There have always been people that have hated the message of the Gospel of Christ, and because my mother preached based upon the Bible, there will be hate and rumors that swirl around her name- and around those who uphold this message. Do not fall for the lies, keep coming to our websites and/or visit us - if you really want TRUTH.

Oh good grief. Gwen did not preach based on the Bible. The bible was a prop, she preached according to Gwen. If you want to know the truth go to their website, says every cult leader everywhere. If something is true then it should be able to be found on many sources not just the original source. For example, if Amerigo Italian Restaurant (in Brentwood) is really good I should be able to find out it is really good by searching many different sources that give reviews. (And I will take a small order of calmari fritti to start, Pasta Pomodoro with shrimp added to it for dinner and the shrimp bisque (comes with soup or salad) and the chocolate pecan fudge brownie for dessert. Please deliver to my house.)

- the truth that has set thousands of people FREE from addictions with love and care and kindness. Jesus said, “You will know them by their fruit.” So let us focus on the truth of the fruit of our lives- for the TRUTH WILL ALWAYS RISE TO THE TOP… and the love of God cannot be taken away from us!!

She is right, the truth will rise to the top. To all RF people that might be reading here - do more reading around the web, read the good, the bad, the ugly about your beliefs and if you still believe them after reading everything, then so be it. Questioning things isn't bad, muting people with questions, never getting answers and punishing people for asking questions is bad. 

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 8

Former WD/RF members, did you ever get the "Look at yourself in the mirror" speech?  This one has stuck in my head for way too long.  I was in week 6 or 7 of a WD class when the leader went off on a crazy tirade at me, telling me to look at myself in the mirror, it doesn't lie, etc.  In my memory, it seems she even brought out a mirror.  I was too shocked and stupefied to say anything.  (I had been quite proud of myself up to that point, I'd lost around 20 already, and probably only had another 15 to go!) 

Where did this come from?  I honestly don't remember Gwen ever saying this, at least early on.  I also don't think the class leader came up with this one completely on her own though.  I always remember that Gwen was kind to me, this shocked the hell out of me.  (And guess what, it didn't make me feel like eating less!!!)

I think back to this and just cringe at myself.  I just sat there and did nothing.  I probably nodded my head in agreement.  I was an adult, I chose to be there and put up with that.  I came back the next week because I was too stubborn/stupid to quit.  Finished that class, never went back. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 4
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 3

On 10/19/2021 at 4:59 PM, MamaJunebug said:

I am one who took Dan Gryder’s report about a Scientology connection at face value.  Am I defending what he said, or saying it’s absolutely true? No.

However, I’ve read a lot about Scientology and one of their arms is business consulting: How to put their methodology  to work to improve your business bottom line.

So, if Mrs. Lara had been concerned about her enterprise’s financials, it seems possible that she might investigate what a Scientology-based consultant had to offer.

I haven’t looked at any Scientology pages - for or against - in years. But I distinctly remember someone who asked her dentist about a Scientology pamphlet in his waiting room. His reply had been that Scientology business principles had really been helping his practice, and that he wanted to let others know.

There are enough similarities already between Scientology and RF that I doubt there was any thought of a merger. Refusal to accept any sexual orientation but one, suppression of questions, snitching on other members, disconnecting former members from family - to name just a few. 

Anyway, that’s where I was / am coming from. But y’all are correct: other than Dan’s claim, there’s been no other evidence offered of the possible connection  

I got laid off due to covid last year.  I finally got a job at a Dentist office on Monday.  I was so excited but... just my luck the owner works with a "consulting" firm.  Within two days I figured out that it was a Scientology company.  After being berated and demeaned by the consultant lady this morning, I walked out two hours ago.  I spent a hellish year working for Scientologists years ago. They try and instill fear in you and they are just down right MEAN. No thanks! The cult of Scientology sounds so much like Gwen and Remnant. 

I am so glad you guys are here talking about these cults.  I can't believe they still bring in people. They are good at mind control but the truth has to win.   

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 3
  • Love 15

4 hours ago, JuneJuly said:

Former WD/RF members, did you ever get the "Look at yourself in the mirror" speech?  This one has stuck in my head for way too long.  I was in week 6 or 7 of a WD class when the leader went off on a crazy tirade at me, telling me to look at myself in the mirror, it doesn't lie, etc.  In my memory, it seems she even brought out a mirror.  I was too shocked and stupefied to say anything.  (I had been quite proud of myself up to that point, I'd lost around 20 already, and probably only had another 15 to go!) 

Where did this come from?  I honestly don't remember Gwen ever saying this, at least early on.  I also don't think the class leader came up with this one completely on her own though.  I always remember that Gwen was kind to me, this shocked the hell out of me.  (And guess what, it didn't make me feel like eating less!!!)

I think back to this and just cringe at myself.  I just sat there and did nothing.  I probably nodded my head in agreement.  I was an adult, I chose to be there and put up with that.  I came back the next week because I was too stubborn/stupid to quit.  Finished that class, never went back. 

I did, actually. I was pretty small, too. I asked my AP how I would know i I still had weight to lose and was told to "look in the mirror". At this point I had a pretty serious case of body dysmorphia and was convinced that I still needed to lose "the last 10 lbs". I didn't. Nowadays when I see pics of myself from that time, I feel really sad.

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 4

5 hours ago, JuneJuly said:

It is mind controlling behavior.  Sometimes you have no time to react because it is so shocking.  I am sorry you were treated that way.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

On 10/25/2021 at 4:19 PM, FrumperedCat said:

Interesting comment from Elizabeth. Is this the case, that they do actually have new numbers? Or are they simply trying to make things sound better than they are? Perhaps they're trying to spin the situation a bit with regards to membership numbers.

Elizabeth’s post was in the private Facebook group. There have been several new additions to the FB group since the documentary. They are all people say they did Weighdown a long time ago and want to do it again. Being new to the FB group is not the same as being a new member of the church. There a many people who are a part of the FB group and who take classes but are not members of the church.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 5

Okay, I admit this is trivial and petty but I couldn't help but notice as I clicked through the Wednesday service. After some scripture recitation and songs from the kids, they replayed an old sermon Gwen gave about how bad Halloween is. Yet..... she's wearing what looks to me like Halloween colors.

image.png.3fdad01363925cc9ec148c989440ecf7.png

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 10

8 hours ago, ManyGoats said:

Okay, I admit this is trivial and petty but I couldn't help but notice as I clicked through the Wednesday service. After some scripture recitation and songs from the kids, they replayed an old sermon Gwen gave about how bad Halloween is. Yet..... she's wearing what looks to me like Halloween colors.

image.png.3fdad01363925cc9ec148c989440ecf7.png

Not to defend Gwen, but when you consider her clothing style in general and fall colors, I can imagine this dress may have been her way of saying she was not against the fall season.

I, too listened to this Halloween vs. All Hallows’ Eve sermon and have to admit it is one that resonates with me.  The history lesson may not be 100% accurate (I’ve read on here), but it sounds like it may be generally what happened to a religious holiday.  I know the Catholics in Mexico and maybe all of Central America still celebrate Dia de Los Muertos instead of Halloween and it’s second only to Christmas as their most important annual holiday celebration. But maybe even that has been changed and made different with secular influences.  It appears from this distance to be a mix of what was All Hallows’ Eve and Halloween.

Jusy sayin’….. this is the type of her messages that kept me listening over the years.  It’s like “some truth that resonates.”  Dangerous.

I am at my core naturally and essentially a progressive Christian.  But I was born and raised in a fundamentalist/evangelical Protestant arena and have been “lost” all my life because of the dichotomy.  Never fitting anywhere yet, always seeking.  

• Upvote 9
  • Thank You 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic