IGNORED

Jed & Katey 3: Jed! the Headship Will Have a New Constituent Soon

nelliebelle1197

16 minutes ago, rosamundi said:

What with the spelling and the font, I'm genuinely struggling. Bryightliegh?

that kid will NEVER find her name on a pencil at the store..... (yes - I know that's a petty and inconsequential thing - but it really really bothered 9 year old me) 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

18 minutes ago, rosamundi said:

What with the spelling and the font, I'm genuinely struggling. Bryightliegh?

I mean, if you want fancy vowels but don't want to TOTALLY ruin the kid's ability to spell her name (or anyone else's for that matter), just go with "Bryghtleigh" which is at least a reasonably *consistent* spelling without duplicate/superfluous vowels or vowels in the "wrong order". Regardless of the absurdity of the name as a whole, seriously, why the "yi" or "liegh"? If pronounced vaguely phonetically, per the sign it should be something like "bry-ee-ght-li-eh" which, just, no.

• Upvote 6

That’s the worst spelling I’ve ever seen. It actually hurt my eye balls. I guess it was too Bryight.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 23

I can't find the pic, but it originally said "Straight people will be like there's so many letters in LGBTQ I can't keep track and then name their kid Bryightnleigh" 🤣

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 24
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Bobology said:

I'm pretty sure they named him Truett Oliver so he could go by Tod... short for Hot Toddy. /s I'm still waiting for one of them to have the initials G-O-D.

Maybe Jedey are secretly fans of the Simpsons, and their next kid will be ROD (like the Flanders' kids, except I think in that case Rod is the elder child).

Truett also sounds a bit like Truant. I guess if he's getting homeschooled that makes sense!

Edited by VeryNikeSeamstress
  • Haha 5

That poor kid is going to have a challenge writing her name.

• I Agree 3

2 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Brightly? Oh holy hell...

suddenly Spurgeon doesn't seem quite so bad. 

I actually like Truett. 

20 hours ago, indianabones said:

They got the Truett meaning straight off of Wikipedia. It looks like some people have been having editing wars over it- someone keeps writing that it means "Warrior for Christ", then someone else deletes that and writes that it means "Bend in the river where wood is obtained". Over and over again.

I find this quite funny for some reason.  Thanks for sharing that.

17 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Truett is not a weird name. It's a surname as a first name which is a long held tradition in the American South. I have Southern friends and a lot of them do the last name as first name for their kids.

FWIW, I don't mind the surname as a first name tradition. For some reason, this particular name doesn't suit my personal taste. I'm not even sure why.  Maybe if it was spelled Truitt?   I dunno. I like Oliver though.

• Upvote 5

Considering English is my second language.... I have no clue how to pronounce Truett. AT ALL. 😅 Never heard that word before.

My French brain went ''True-ette'' but it somehow seems wrong. Or is that right?

Tree-ette?

Tree-wit?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

14 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

Considering English is my second language.... I have no clue how to pronounce Truett. AT ALL. 😅 Never heard that word before.

My French brain went ''True-ette'' but it somehow seems wrong. Or is that right?

Tree-ette?

Tree-wit?

True-it is how Americans would say it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 4

13 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

True-it is how Americans would say it. 

Wow. Would not have guessed it.

That really sounds similar to the French word for ''trout''. I'm not lying just to make fun of the name or mock it. In French, a trout is spelled truite. 😶

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

21 hours ago, indianabones said:

They got the Truett meaning straight off of Wikipedia. It looks like some people have been having editing wars over it- someone keeps writing that it means "Warrior for Christ", then someone else deletes that and writes that it means "Bend in the river where wood is obtained". Over and over again.

I guess Jed and Katey googled the name meaning on one of the Christ days!

Despite being a natural process, I think 'obtaining wood' would mean a one-way trip to the prayer closet for these people.

Truitt spelled with an i reminds me of fruit. Fishy fruit.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Still better than Spurgeon, and about as fishy.

new thread title right there.....

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 5

You know JBoob will say when he first sees home, “he’s a True Duggar!” And think he’s so funny. JB had the worst jokes. They were way less funny than typical dad jokes. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I find this quite funny for some reason.  Thanks for sharing that.

FWIW, I don't mind the surname as a first name tradition. For some reason, this particular name doesn't suit my personal taste. I'm not even sure why.  Maybe if it was spelled Truitt?   I dunno. I like Oliver though.

I don't hate it or love it... if I met someone named Truett I'd assume they were a white southerner and, well, the shoe fits.  Wouldn't use it myself but that applies to a lot of names out there.  

• Upvote 6

16 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

This is the worst name to come out of Utah😂😂972D9604-E945-4989-9006-031C45B6A2D2.thumb.jpeg.93df03281486bc35b57e31458d618e39.jpeg

I can’t get past the camel toe

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 6

32 minutes ago, Irishy said:

Yes. That's the first thing I noticed. Even before the name.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

36 minutes ago, Irishy said:

Nike!!

Well... There are camels in the Bible, so I guess it's Godly?

• Haha 8

20 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

Wow. Would not have guessed it.

That really sounds similar to the French word for ''trout''. I'm not lying just to make fun of the name or mock it. In French, a trout is spelled truite. 😶

There is some regional variation. I think I would pronounce it closer to True-ette. Given how the Duggar pronounce short es, I would say they probably say True-it.

ohh, I forgot that Americans stress the last syllable in -ett or -ell names. I am English and would pronounce it TREW-it. I'll just go with True then. True-ette sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Irishy said:

That’s god honoring camel toe!

• Haha 5

I have a long torso therefore I’ve always avoided one piece romper type outfits. Long torso equals camel toe city.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 7

1 hour ago, AprilQuilt said:

ohh, I forgot that Americans stress the last syllable in -ett or -ell names. I am English and would pronounce it TREW-it. I'll just go with True then. True-ette sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

I'm American and would pronounce it the same way as you.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 8

2 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

I'm American and would pronounce it the same way as you.

Me, too. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2022 at 10:35 AM, Jinder Roles said:

Chloe is actually a name from the Bible. She was a woman from Corinth. It can be spelled with C or K (or any way you like). The accent thing is also common. 

There’s literally a luxury fashion house named Chloé. 

Making fun of names can easily veer into racist and classist territory. I make an exception for white fundamentalists though cause though cause they are truly hilarious and they are not oppressed for being Christian/white. 

This is the worst name to come out of Utah😂😂972D9604-E945-4989-9006-031C45B6A2D2.thumb.jpeg.93df03281486bc35b57e31458d618e39.jpeg

Hahaha love this sooo much!!

And yes, the old let's make fun of this "ghetto" name is seeped in racism and classism. My name is really hard to pronounce because its Hawaiian. When the generations that included my tutu (grandma- born 1902 or 1908) and dad (youngest of 9 born in 1946) were born, so like 1890s to 1950s, all Kānaka had to give their keiki "white Christian" names. My tutu was 'òlelo, aka her first language was Hawaiian. She didn't teach it to her children and didn't start speaking it again until the 60s and 70s. During colonialism and after the US illegally overthrew our rightful Queen and monarchy, our culture went underground. Natives were afraid of having their keiki taken away for being "too Hawaiian", which  was grounds for being antisocial. We weren't collectively kidnapped and sent to boarding internment and brainwashing camps that were called "schools" like our mainland indigenous brothers and sisters but there were a lot of boys and girls schools, mental hospitals, etc. that imprisoned "undesirables" which disproportionately were made up of mostly Kānaka and often the reasons they were there included being too Native and "resisting" "civilized Christian society".

Hawaiian language names didn't come back into our ohanad until the 1970s really and so they're really meaningful. I've never experienced being made fun of, but my name has been fetishized if that makes sense. Just the way different minorities are perceived and interacted with by the status quo results in a lot of different effects but they all come from the same place of elitism and otherness. 

A lot of minority groups who use names that differ from "white Western European/American" have backgrounds of oppression where they weren't allowed to name themselves or their children and if they were it had to be a 'white name '. Being able to choose you and your children's names is very empowering and the making fun of BIPOC lower socio economic group names or ordering them is just an extension of when we were pressured or forced to use "theirs".

While the LDS have a history of religious oppression in the 19th century, they're very much so the ruling elite of Utah and were a major component of the settler colonialism in Hawai'i and the rest of Polynesia/the Pacific Islands. So no they're not equivalent IMO. Most Utah LDS I know make fun of it too, so it's more of a funny cultural quirk than the same as a marginalized group continuing to be denied jobs, housing and being seen as an equal to the ruling class, by dehumanizing and mocking their names.

Mahalo for bringing up next years number 1 baby name in Utah and some of dark side of how names can be judged. 

Edited by zee_four
  • Upvote 14
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 3