IGNORED

Gabby Petito is Missing Update: Found Dead; Arrest Warrants Issued

Howl

9 hours ago, Howl said:

I do hope this results in the Moab police improving how they deal w/ domestic violence situations. 

Same. And mental health situations. I think they handled some aspects ok, separating them overnight and talking to them separately - but after that it was "ok, good to go". I realise there are a lot of limitations on what police can do, but if it was a mental health issue then surely a follow up by at least a counsellor or doctor wouldn't be a bad idea?

9 hours ago, Howl said:

Based on her conversation with Hulls, maybe Gabby for the first time ever understands that she's in an abusive relationship and gets up the nerve for the first time ever to start talking about making the relationship better/calling Brian out on his abuse, or even that she wants a break or to end the relationship. 

As we know in retrospect, Brian is a high-control abuser, this winds him up and starts a rage spiral, ultimately ending in Gabby's death.  I hope not, but I think it's a possibility.  I can't imagine anything would drive Brian to murder Gabby, other than Gabby threatening or deciding to leave him. 

Unfortunately I think that is plausible, and I hope it is not fed back to Hulls, who did a lot of things right in the situation. If they had still been in Moab, or in a larger town Gabby might have left Brian - the combination of being in a van with just two of them, in reasonably unpopulated areas was a bad one - and I think that travelling pressure cooker situation was already escalating things, per the 911 report of Brian hitting Gabby, and the traffic stop. Travelling together for long periods is stressful, even with a reasonably good relationship - and it didn't seem like they were getting a lot of breaks from each other.

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Same. And mental health situations. I think they handled some aspects ok, separating them overnight and talking to them separately - but after that it was "ok, good to go". I realise there are a lot of limitations on what police can do, but if it was a mental health issue then surely a follow up by at least a counselor or doctor wouldn't be a bad idea?

In my city there was a discussion about moving towards trying to set up a system to ascertain if a 911 call is a mental health crisis or a crime and would the situation be better served by a social worker responding or police or both.  I don't think this was implemented.  They did set up a sobering center, where shit faced drunk people could be taken, rather than arrested. 

A close by smaller city has social workers dealing with some calls that are more appropriate for mental health evaluation and they can accompany a LEO to a call.  

In February, 2016 here in Austin, a policeman shot and killed a nude, unarmed 17-year-old  in the middle of the street in broad daylight.  The officer was fired in Sept 2016.  This and other instances could clearly have been handled non-lethally by having a social worker or other skilled mental health worker assisting with assessing a situation and de-escalating. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 3

26 minutes ago, Howl said:

In my city there was a discussion about moving towards trying to set up a system to ascertain if a 911 call is a mental health crisis or a crime and would the situation be better served by a social worker responding or police or both.  I don't think this was implemented.

My city just recently implemented a mental health response team.  They only have two teams in total right now so they can't provide 24 hour response, but to even have it is huge.  The one team that I've interacted with (for someone else, not myself) was a paramedic and an LPC.  Responded with PD on standby, but they were the ones to go in first and determine whether PD was needed.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 4

On 1/21/2022 at 10:12 PM, Ozlsn said:

And surprising no one the FBI has released information from Brian Laundrie's journal confessing he murdered Gabby Petito.

Also:

"Investigators also said Laundrie, 23, had sent text messages to intentionally deceive people that Petito, 22, was still alive after he beat and strangled her in late August."

Also:

"An independent report released last week faulted Utah police for not issuing a domestic violence citation to Petito after she told police she had hit Laundrie first.

The report also pointed to indications Petito was likely a victim in their overall relationship and faulted investigators for not taking a statement from a police caller who reported seeing the couple outside their van and a man slapping a girl."

Can someone explain how issuing a citation would have done anything here? 

WARNING THE WHOLE POST IS A TW FOR DV

Haha those same Utah police dropped felony DV charges against my ex with a lengthy Utah record when he cracked my skull open, made me miscarry at 4 months and hospitalized me for a month. This was less than 2 years before all this.

It wouldn't have done anything it would have been dropped.

The Moab and GCSD cops and prosecutors (the SLC based prosecutor didn't want to drive down and never bothered to speak with me once despite me desperately trying to get ahold of him) are awful just like most rural western "law enforcement" departments. 

EDIT Actually the cops tried the prosecutor dropped everything despite my ex having a crazy long record for assault, DV, DUIs. Etc all in Utah. 

The cops and hospital did throw me in a concrete jail cell to miscarry on my own after I freaked out at the hospital when they refused to help me at all when I started bleeding the day after I'd had the shit kicked out of me. They laughed at me as I screamed in lain, begged for a doctor and went in and out of consciousness.

And Moab/GCSD still hasn't done anything about the two local girls murdered and sexually assaulted a week before Gabby's case took everything over.

These departments are just rotten especially when it comes to working class locals and when people involved are Latine or Native.

Edited by zee_four
  • Sad 4

On 1/27/2022 at 8:14 PM, zee_four said:

WARNING THE WHOLE POST IS A TW FOR DV

Haha those same Utah police dropped felony DV charges against my ex with a lengthy Utah record when he cracked my skull open, made me miscarry at 4 months and hospitalized me for a month. This was less than 2 years before all this.

It wouldn't have done anything it would have been dropped.

The Moab and GCSD cops and prosecutors (the SLC based prosecutor didn't want to drive down and never bothered to speak with me once despite me desperately trying to get ahold of him) are awful just like most rural western "law enforcement" departments. 

EDIT Actually the cops tried the prosecutor dropped everything despite my ex having a crazy long record for assault, DV, DUIs. Etc all in Utah. 

The cops and hospital did throw me in a concrete jail cell to miscarry on my own after I freaked out at the hospital when they refused to help me at all when I started bleeding the day after I'd had the shit kicked out of me. They laughed at me as I screamed in lain, begged for a doctor and went in and out of consciousness.

And Moab/GCSD still hasn't done anything about the two local girls murdered and sexually assaulted a week before Gabby's case took everything over.

These departments are just rotten especially when it comes to working class locals and when people involved are Latine or Native.

I forgot to mention when I was held indefinitely without any medical services being mocked and yelled at by the two cops on duty in the jail, while miscarrying at almost 4 months after being beat up the two nights prior by my ex including a cracked skull that they didn't find out about until a few days after this because they refused to help me at the Moab hospital..  I wasn't arrested or held for a crime.

It officially was a "mental health hold". Like 8 hours later they kicked me out I'd gone in an out of consciousness my own clothes and the jail clothes were covered in blood and the remains of my child and they told me how gross I was and I stumbled outside alone on the other side of town. I could barely walk.

The only good cop in town who the day before had stayed with me for like 5 hours after my ex was arrested and convinced me to file a RO and stayed with me and told me it wasn't my fault what he was doing to me was horrific and he actually even teared up and said if I didn't file a RO he was afraid me and the baby would be dead by Christmas. He is a good man. 

Anyway he was coming in just as I got kicked out and he was shocked when he saw me and drove me home. He tried to convince me to let him take me to hospital but I refused and started crying again. I never received proper treatment for that miscarriage. A few days later I was hospitalized again a mix of my cracked skull and a suicide attempt.

But yeah thats what people don't understand about these places like Moab, like Southern Utah, western Colorado, Wyoming... even the tourist towns with tons of people who visit and a ton of money comes through. The systems are set up like its the 50s its the worst of the old boys club with little real crime and a ton of resources compared to non tourist areas surrounding them.

Sexual assault and DV are endemic in these places. There's more men than women 18-40. Many people are transplants coming to work for a season so they have no connections locally. There's a ton of partying its the norm after work, days off, you ski, ATV, raft, snowmobile whatever, and you get drunk and high. 

Its a lot of fun and I grew up in these western once small rural places when I was young but no they're major resort towns. Its home. 

But the sexually assaults are out of control, no one does anything. In the Vail Valley every girl I knew had been roofed or knew a friend who was at a bar. Some were raped like myself others not but it was the norm. The powers that be don't want to scare the tourists off. Unfortunately its only headlines when a tourist, often fairly privileged and from the East Coast or the South, that's when they pretend to care. But they treat the locals. Especially local women like dirt 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's official.  Brian Laundrie died of a gunshot wound to the head.  What a sad and tragic saga all the way around. 

• I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

• 4 months later...

The Petito family is suing the Laundrie family.  Hearing underway to see if the case will be allowed to go forward: 

• Thank You 4

CNN Friday: Lawyer releases pages from Brian Laundrie’s notebook in which he admits to killing Gabby Petito

On another page, he wrote about Petito being injured and trying to help her.

“I don’t know the extent of Gabby’s ingerys (sic) only that she was in extreme pain. I ended her life, I thought it was merciful, that it is what she wanted, but I see now all the mistakes I made. I panicked. I was in shock. But from the moment I decided, took away her pain, I knew I couldn’t go on without her,” he wrote...

...On the last page released, Laundrie wrote, “I have killed myself by this creek in the hopes that annimals (sic) may tear me apart. That it may make some of her family happy.”

The last words on the page, written with a different pen than the previous ones said, “Please pick up all of my things. Gabby hated people who litter.”

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2

• 2 months later...

I recently watched something on a channel I had never noticed before, Lifetime. There was an ad for "The Gabby Petito Story" premiering on Sat, Oct 1st. I don’t know how true/decent the programs are on this channel but I'll probably DVR it and watch. I liked the program I watched on this station, but I had not been previously aware of the subject matter and don't know how accurate the show was.)

6 hours ago, Bobology said:

There was an ad for "The Gabby Petito Story" premiering on Sat, Oct 1st.

Sounds as though it will be an account of her story with actors, rather than a documentary. 

• I Agree 1