IGNORED

Gabby Petito is Missing Update: Found Dead; Arrest Warrants Issued

Howl

36 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

The warrant is for unauthorized use of a debit card and accounts. Who they card and accounts belong to has not been disclosed.

Has the FBI ever issued a federal arrest warrant for debit card fraud if there hasn’t been another crime associated with that person?

IMO declaring someone a fugitive for using someone’s card for $1000 is interesting.

Also interesting: he used the card ‘in Wyoming and elsewhere’ … they’re keeping their cards close to their chest by saying ‘elsewhere’.

BC1B6275-B20F-41BC-9395-2A122C084934.jpeg

Edited by adidas
  • Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

Thinking out loud … I wonder if he purchased outdoor survival gear with the $1000. That would show that he intended to go off grid before he went ‘hiking’.

Personally I don’t believe the parents when they say he went ‘hiking’ on the Tuesday, I think he took off before that and that he has had longer to hide than his parents have said.

If his parents are still in contact with him, they can now be charged with aiding and abetting a fugitive, right?

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

His parents drove to Orlando today to meet with their lawyer.

I’m glad that if Brian is found alive that he will be arrested. I also think it can be safely assumed in the court of public opinion that he was using Gabby’s cards/account.

• Upvote 4

As is so often the case I wish I hadn’t burned my last LTTE of the year now.  If I hadn’t I would totally fucking burn the local media over their fucking disinterst in Celia Barquin after she was murdered by a white man in Ames.  These sticks of fuck in our shitstream media love to spout off but can barely be bothered to remember Celia. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, BensAllergies said:

I also think it can be safely assumed in the court of public opinion that he was using Gabby’s cards/account.

Absolutely. The indictment was issued from Wyoming, where her body was found. Who else’s cards would they be.

• I Agree 2

I couldn't find the interview with the park ranger. I'm not sure what happened. If she was advising Gabby, I hope she offered to help Gabby formulate a plan to leave. It wouldn't have been easy for Gabby to break-up with him or leave while on a roadtrip with one vehicle.

3 hours ago, 47of74 said:

As is so often the case I wish I hadn’t burned my last LTTE of the year now.  If I hadn’t I would totally fucking burn the local media over their fucking disinterst in Celia Barquin after she was murdered by a white man in Ames.  These sticks of fuck in our shitstream media love to spout off but can barely be bothered to remember Celia. 

Part of it is they were searching for Gabby and now they're searching for Brian. Hopefully If someone sees Brian, they'll call police. In Celia's case, her murderer has pled guilty, so there's not much more that can be said or done. I think both Gabby and Celia will get covered on Dateline, etc.  Celia deserves to be remembered too.

I think Brian is still in the country, because I think it would be hard to flee the country.

• Upvote 4

Another woman has come forward to say that she too picked up Brian whilst hitch hiking (on the same day as the first woman). The second woman dropped him back at the area where Gabby was later found. 

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/brian-laundrie-search-woman-in-wyoming-claims-she-picked-him-up-hitchhiking/news-story/c5853277680a8687f20373e340d1871b

23 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I couldn't find the interview with the park ranger. I'm not sure what happened. If she was advising Gabby, I hope she offered to help Gabby formulate a plan to leave. It wouldn't have been easy for Gabby to break-up with him or leave while on a roadtrip with one vehicle.

I think I still have the link in my history, I’ll find it and edit it in for you  

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/9/20/22684359/i-can-still-hear-her-voice-arches-park-ranger-warned-gabby-petito-relationship-seemed-toxic-brian

Edited by adidas
Adding link
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

5 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

.In Celia's case, her murderer has pled guilty, so there's not much more that can be said or done. I think both Gabby and Celia will get covered on Dateline, etc.  Celia deserves to be remembered too.

I’m not trying to diminish Mollie Tibbets or what happened to her.   I know there’s not much that could be said or done in Celia’s case.  What gets me is if you ask some person off the street  in Iowa about Celia there’s a pretty good chance you’ll get a blank stare but that same person would know about Mollie and have an opinion on her case.  

• Upvote 4

I can't think of a single young woman of color missing who I know by name or remember seeing covered by media so def this is a real issue. I remember Dr Phil covering this issue a decade ago. It was mentioned as part of crime drama plot also a decade ago. So very sad there has been so little progress on dv awareness and diversity awareness in a decade. 

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

On 9/23/2021 at 8:24 PM, adidas said:

Has the FBI ever issued a federal arrest warrant for debit card fraud if there hasn’t been another crime associated with that person?

IMO declaring someone a fugitive for using someone’s card for $1000 is interesting.

In a lot of states, $1000 is the point where it becomes a felony charge.  I'm sure that's why they did it that way.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

I watched the 48 Hours special on Petito/Laundrie last night (Saturday) that featured a Florida friend of Gabby.  This woman recounted an incident where she and Gabby planned to go to a club together, a club (do all clubs do this?) that checked IDs at the door.   Brian had taken her ID card, so she couldn't get in.  Huge red flag of an abusive, controlling personality. This woman also described Brian as being manipulative. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 10

2 hours ago, Howl said:

This woman recounted an incident where she and Gabby planned to go to a club together, a club (do all clubs do this?) that checked IDs at the door.

Most reputable clubs check IDs at the door. At least in my experience - they check age so that the bartenders can just serve. There are a couple of 18+ clubs but they are few and far between. And back in the 90s there were some bizarre "teen nights" where there was no alcohol but there might be a band and coffee or snacks and they checked school IDS to keep adults out. I haven't heard of anyone doing that these days, I can't imagine it was profitable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

Our area briefly had an “under 21” club in the mid-80s*.  Bouncers would check ID at the door and stamp our hands so we could leave and re-enter the club.

*NYS raised the drinking age to 21 in December 1985.

• Thank You 2

New audio of the dispatch call made to police in relation to an argument between Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie has been Released, and it shows that responders were told it was a domestic violence situation. The officers involved will likely face disciplinary action.

Lots of info at the link, but I will copy some below.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/gabby-petito-case-dispatch-recordings-show-utah-police-were-told-male-struck-female/news-story/489fc5716e7663f60ec4520de4cbd0d0

Minutes after Utah police were told about a report of a man striking a woman and taking off in a white Ford Transit van with Florida plates, officers pulled over Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito and appeared to zero-in on her as the aggressor, dispatch radio recordings show.

“RP (reporting party) states seeing a male hit a female, domestic,” the dispatcher states at around 4.38pm. MT on the day of the incident. “He got into a white Ford Transit van, has a black ladder on the back, Florida plate.”

The dispatch audio, first obtained by the investigative unit at FOX 13 Utah, shows the dispatcher did in fact inform the officers of allegations that Mr Laundrie had been the aggressor – shedding new light on a situation that initially seemed like police didn’t know about the witness’ claims.

After an officer asks for the witness’ phone number and victim location, the dispatcher again indicates that Mr Laundrie had struck Ms Petito.

“Phone number is [redacted], name’s [redacted],” the dispatcher responds at 4.42pm. I’m not sure [inaudible], but the female who got hit, they both, the male and the female, both got into the van and headed north.”

Audio on the bodycam recording begins at 4.44pm.

Under Utah law, officers are required to make an arrest or issue a citation when they have “probable cause to believe that an act of domestic violence has been committed”.

Moab city officials announced an external investigation into their police department’s handling of the call earlier this week.

The officers involved will likely face disciplinary action, said Utah lawyer Brett Tolman, a former lawyer for the District of Utah.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 7

On 9/26/2021 at 8:32 AM, Howl said:

I watched the 48 Hours special on Petito/Laundrie last night (Saturday) that featured a Florida friend of Gabby.  This woman recounted an incident where she and Gabby planned to go to a club together, a club (do all clubs do this?) that checked IDs at the door.   Brian had taken her ID card, so she couldn't get in.  Huge red flag of an abusive, controlling personality. This woman also described Brian as being manipulative. 

It's been a very long time since I was going clubbing - but I do remember that in my college town, bouncers did regularly check IDs at the door, since there were a lot of students under the age of 21 who would try to get in.  I don't know anything about the town in Florida where Gabby was living with Brian and his parents - could there be a lot of underage people who might try to get into clubs?

Also, because of her size (tiny frame), I could see where a bouncer might think she was underage, so would ask her for ID.

It definitely sounded like Brian was insecure, controlling, didn't like the friendship Gabby had with this woman.  

• Upvote 3

Here's something I'd like to confirm.  Brian was given a hotel room for the night and my impression (remember, just an impression) was that his access to this free room was through an entity that assists victims of domestic violence. 

Anybody know anything about this?

Also, if you watched the police videos, did anyone ask Gabby if Brian had hit or slapped her?

On 9/26/2021 at 11:28 PM, adidas said:

New audio of the dispatch call made to police in relation to an argument between Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie has been Released, and it shows that responders were told it was a domestic violence situation. The officers involved will likely face disciplinary action.

Lots of info at the link, but I will copy some below.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/gabby-petito-case-dispatch-recordings-show-utah-police-were-told-male-struck-female/news-story/489fc5716e7663f60ec4520de4cbd0d0

Minutes after Utah police were told about a report of a man striking a woman and taking off in a white Ford Transit van with Florida plates, officers pulled over Brian Laundrie and Gabby Petito and appeared to zero-in on her as the aggressor, dispatch radio recordings show.

“RP (reporting party) states seeing a male hit a female, domestic,” the dispatcher states at around 4.38pm. MT on the day of the incident. “He got into a white Ford Transit van, has a black ladder on the back, Florida plate.”

The dispatch audio, first obtained by the investigative unit at FOX 13 Utah, shows the dispatcher did in fact inform the officers of allegations that Mr Laundrie had been the aggressor – shedding new light on a situation that initially seemed like police didn’t know about the witness’ claims.

After an officer asks for the witness’ phone number and victim location, the dispatcher again indicates that Mr Laundrie had struck Ms Petito.

“Phone number is [redacted], name’s [redacted],” the dispatcher responds at 4.42pm. I’m not sure [inaudible], but the female who got hit, they both, the male and the female, both got into the van and headed north.”

Audio on the bodycam recording begins at 4.44pm.

Under Utah law, officers are required to make an arrest or issue a citation when they have “probable cause to believe that an act of domestic violence has been committed”.

Moab city officials announced an external investigation into their police department’s handling of the call earlier this week.

The officers involved will likely face disciplinary action, said Utah lawyer Brett Tolman, a former lawyer for the District of Utah.

The problem here is, they didn't have probable cause, simply due to a 911 call. 

*Sidenote: I'm not a fan of LEOs, right now. They've abused their power in a myriad of different ways, and reform needs to happen yesterday.

In the video you can see and hear the officer, who is talking to Gabby, ask her repeatedly whether Brian had hit her. The most she would say is that he grabbed her face, after she hit him. Police also had a female National Parks officer talk to her, after they put her into the police vehicle. She didn't make things any clearer, during that conversation. In short, the police officers may he disciplined due to national optics, but unless Gabby actually stated that he hit her, other than for defensive purposes, they didn't have probable cause to arrest him. 

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, SnarkyLawyer said:

Police also had a female National Parks officer talk to her, after they put her into the police vehicle. She didn't make things any clearer, during that conversation.

The park ranger I think did a correct assessment, clearly understood this was a domestic violence situation, talked to Gabby about abuse, that the relationship she was in was toxic and she deserved better.  The park ranger's impression was that things would change eventually, but probably not until after the trip was over. 

Possible/likely Gabby had snapped to the fact that Brian would be arrested if she confirmed that he had hit and slapped her and was protecting him?

However, I don't understand why an eye-witness account of him slapping and hitting her wasn't enough to arrest HIM or at least take him in for questioning. 

• I Agree 3

26 minutes ago, Howl said:

The park ranger I think did a correct assessment, clearly understood this was a domestic violence situation, talked to Gabby about abuse, that the relationship she was in was toxic and she deserved better.  The park ranger's impression was that things would change eventually, but probably not until after the trip was over. 

Possible/likely Gabby had snapped to the fact that Brian would be arrested if she confirmed that he had hit and slapped her and was protecting him?

However, I don't understand why an eye-witness account of him slapping and hitting her wasn't enough to arrest HIM or at least take him in for questioning. 

27 minutes ago, Howl said:

Because it was done through a 911 Call. Look, in theory, anyone can call 911 and report what they think they saw, or what they wish they saw. The bottom line is, the 911 call gives law enforcement a basis in which to ask questions, but not probable cause to arrest someone. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, SnarkyLawyer said:

The problem here is, they didn't have probable cause, simply due to a 911 call. 

*Sidenote: I'm not a fan of LEOs, right now. They've abused their power in a myriad of different ways, and reform needs to happen yesterday.

In the video you can see and hear the officer, who is talking to Gabby, ask her repeatedly whether Brian had hit her. The most she would say is that he grabbed her face, after she hit him. Police also had a female National Parks officer talk to her, after they put her into the police vehicle. She didn't make things any clearer, during that conversation. In short, the police officers may he disciplined due to national optics, but unless Gabby actually stated that he hit her, other than for defensive purposes, they didn't have probable cause to arrest him. 

I understand probable cause, but LE  grossly misjudged the situation and this led to the lack of probable cause. Gabby shouldn’t have been within sight or earshot of Brian while they were asking those questions, as the reported victim of a domestic violence incident. He should have been taken in for questioning. Not fist bumped. 

91C80229-F3C3-40EE-83B5-40C4F2DE0631.jpeg

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, adidas said:

I understand probable cause, but LE  grossly misjudged the situation and this led to the lack of probable cause. Gabby shouldn’t have been within sight or earshot of Brian while they were asking those questions, as the reported victim of a domestic violence incident. He should have been taken in for questioning. Not fist bumped. 

91C80229-F3C3-40EE-83B5-40C4F2DE0631.jpeg

Yes, Brian was fist-bumped. I'm not convinced it was because they were "on his side."

Again, if you listen to the audio, the officer was trying 6 ways to Sunday to get Gabby to state that Brian hit her.

• Upvote 5

32 minutes ago, SnarkyLawyer said:

Yes, Brian was fist-bumped. I'm not convinced it was because they were "on his side."

Again, if you listen to the audio, the officer was trying 6 ways to Sunday to get Gabby to state that Brian hit her.

I should hope they didn’t see Brian as being on the “same side”. It doesn’t matter though. Regardless of how they viewed him, fist bumping someone who had a 911 call made to investigate a domestic violence incident against them is completely inappropriate.

As I said, Gabby shouldn’t have been within sight or earshot of Brian while they investigated a report of domestic violence against her. They should have been interviewed separately and he should have been taken in for questioning. And to be honest, putting responsibility on Gabby for LE’s inability to interview her properly is skating very close to victim blaming imo. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, adidas said:

I should hope they didn’t see Brian as being on the “same side”. It doesn’t matter though. Regardless of how they viewed him, fist bumping someone who had a 911 call made to investigate a domestic violence incident against them is completely inappropriate.

As I said, Gabby shouldn’t have been within sight or earshot of Brian while they investigated a report of domestic violence against her. They should have been interviewed separately and he should have been taken in for questioning. And to be honest, putting responsibility on Gabby for LE’s inability to interview her properly is skating very close to victim blaming 

My legal assessment, based upon my professional background, isn't skating close to anything, but the legal truth. Furthermore, the idea that "Gabby shouldn't have been anywhere near Brian" wasn't a realistic option in that context. The officer made sure that she was out of the heat, and then called another woman. Additionally, pointing out lack of probable cause to arrest someone doesn't equal blaming the victim. 

Edited by SnarkyLawyer
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1