IGNORED

Skirts Only

meee

My grandma was born in 1914 and I never saw her wearing pants but she wasn't religious at all, it was just what she was accustomed to. Usually she sewed her own clothing. She was very short and one of her legs was shorter than the other so it would have been difficult to find pants that fit anyway.

• Upvote 3

On 9/17/2021 at 7:00 PM, MamaJunebug said:

I’ll run out of skirts before tops, but I think I’ll try a scarf and brooch even when I wear jeans or khakis.  It seems to bring some People joy, I’ve got a collection of both scarves and brooches to have fun with, so … why not!

The one thing I like about winter - I wear my hand knit shawls a lot, often with shawl pins of various kinds. I've discovered that the bigger the shawl, the more I like it. I just bought the pattern for Stephen West's mystery shawl knit-a-long for October, and I'm really looking forward to it! I've got to choose and wind all my yarn soon so I'll be ready. I always feel dressier wearing a scarf or shawl, even if I'm just wearing jeans and a hoodie otherwise. 

(A mystery knit-a-long is when you purchase the pattern knowing only generalities about it - I know it will be a shawl, it requires 5 colors of fingering weight yarn with some contrast, and just because it's Stephen West, it'll be interesting and probably large, with textural stitches but probably not much if any lace. The first section of the pattern will come out in early October, with a new section coming out once a week, so it's not until the last clue comes out that you know what the finished shawl will look like. There will be a discussion thread on Ravelry for those participating in the knit-a-long. It's very fun!)

1 hour ago, Hane said:

And even in some “mainstream” circles this look isn’t considered “modest” enough. A few years ago, I saw a story on an ex-Mormon site in which a girl in a college library was wearing an absolutely adorable knit skater dress (not quite short enough to be mini) with long sleeves over leggings. The look was really cute and I would have bought that outfit for my own daughter without hesitation—but some uptight jamoke felt compelled to slip her a note chiding her for being an “eye trap” and a “temptation.” 

That sounds super cute and comfortable. If some dude slipped me a note like that I'd probably say "thanks for the compliment, too bad about your lack of self control!" or something like that. As a college kid I would have been mortified (but I went to an all women's college so as long as you had clothes on all was good, and in the dorm halls even that was relaxed). But these days, I'm older and have less patience and tolerance for stupid people. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

Whatever happened to that bit about gouging your own eyes out if your eyes cause you to sin. Is that still in the Bible?

• Upvote 12

On 9/14/2021 at 11:25 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

The Collingsworth Family is still very skirts only. All three of their adult daughters are always in a skirt (pajamas not included) and they dress the granddaughter in skirts only as well.

The apostolic Pentecostals we’ve mentioned on here are still skirts only. The people like Chelsea Pomeroy and her group. 

Of course like others mentioned, the Rodrigues family and I don’t think I’ve ever seen her twin sisters (Angie and Amy) in pants either. 

I think Michelle and Kelly Jo will wear skirts until they are dead. 

Zoo and PP’s church all push skirts only. 

Being that the Collingsworth family are Bible Methodist , and therefore Conservative Holiness , they would have a more strict standard of dress and hairstyle , in keeping with what is called a " sanctified appearance " .  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

it. I just bought the pattern for Stephen West's mystery shawl knit-a-long for October, and I'm really looking forward to it! I

I’m not a yarn kinda person but this sounds fabulously intriguing!

I’ve  had my pupils dilated & been away from screens.  This may have been said already..

Tim, you think because you do everything right, G-d will give you all you what you’ve got coming to you?  Find the part of the Bible entitled “Job” and get back to us  

Poor kid  

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

I actually went 80% skirts-only fairly recently, the remaining 20% being reserved for tunics with leggings. I was ruined from spending a year working from home in sweatpants; now it feels like pants (no matter the fit or style) are always digging in to my crotch when I sit down, so I switched to the skirts for comfort and freedom of movement.I’m using Velma from Scooby Doo as my muse.

It’s weird, because I’ve spent my entire life committed to unisex styles and ONLY pants. I was kind of self-conscious about people noticing and commenting on my change in wardrobe. One of my coworkers asked “What’s with all the skirts?” and the other joked about me finally growing up into being a girl, at 43 years old, lol. 

Edited by Militant Fecundity
  • Upvote 13
  • I Agree 1

Thinking about it, most pants are much more modest than skirts.  Skirts can be blown up by the wind or can ride up when you sit down.  There's always the possibility of getting the edge of your skirt stuck in the band of your undies and you can come out of the restroom revealing much more than you intended.  (Don't ask me how I know this.)  And doing things like bending over or sitting in the floor are much more modest in pants.  

I understand that the fundies want gender separation.  Seeing as how Jesus wore skirts, couldn't they just let men have the skirts and we could claim the pants?  Than way our holy genitals are covered and protected and their manly genitals can have a bit more room.  Somebody run this past Steve Anderson for me.  😆

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 12
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Xan said:

I understand that the fundies want gender separation.  Seeing as how Jesus wore skirts, couldn't they just let men have the skirts and we could claim the pants?  Than way our holy genitals are covered and protected and their manly genitals can have a bit more room.  Somebody run this past Steve Anderson for me.  😆

I've always wondered why it was pants for men and skirts for women, if it was "purity" they were after. Seems like it should be the opposite, doesn't it?

(I'm going to bet it evolved that way for ease of bathroom-using reasons, and had nothing to do with what pertaineth to a certain gender.)

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 4

23 minutes ago, Xan said:

Thinking about it, most pants are much more modest than skirts.  Skirts can be blown up by the wind or can ride up when you sit down.  There's always the possibility of getting the edge of your skirt stuck in the band of your undies and you can come out of the restroom revealing much more than you intended.  (Don't ask me how I know this.)  And doing things like bending over or sitting in the floor are much more modest in pants.  

This is really only true with shorter skirts.  Ankle length skirts, unless they're a particularly lightweight fabric, aren't about to go anywhere.  If the wind does blow them, it's only a bit of ankle/lower leg likely to show.  If you're on the floor, a full enough skirt still covers everything.  Bending over and riding up when you sit also don't show much if it's a long enough skirt.  A floor length skirt becoming ankle length when you sit down isn't revealing anything.  

If it's knee length or above, then yeah, pants are going to be less likely to have a wardrobe malfunction.  

• Upvote 5

Most people wore skirts during Jesus’s time. You would think that would be what all these people would want. But Steven Anderson has claimed Jesus wore pants. Which is hilarious. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Most people wore skirts during Jesus’s time. You would think that would be what all these people would want. But Steven Anderson has claimed Jesus wore pants. Which is hilarious. 

How did he come up with this?  Were pants even invented back then?  Did Jesus just miraculously magic up some pants?  If so, did he also make some for the disciples?  And did people stare at them?  So many questions...

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

On 9/19/2021 at 3:17 PM, Howl said:

Also, she told us the pastor did not "allow" his wife and daughters to wear pants or shorts and they couldn't use tampons; pads only.   Has anyone heard of this "no tampons" rule in fundy land?

It struck me as bizarre at the time and still does. 

Oh, yeah. My mother never warned me about tampons so one day I raided her stash (she was past needing them at that point) and then just started buying my own with my babysitting money. I was never able to keep anything private from my mom and I don't mean she was my confidant; I'm sure she went through all my drawers weekly if not more often. So I only knew I wasn't supposed to use  tampons until I mentioned that someone my age at our church wasn't allowed to use tampons and mom said mournfully, " I guess <person's mother's name> can control her daughters better than I can." Years later I learned that good mormon girls would never  consider using tampons because. . .hell if I know why. Fear of damaging their hymens? Fear that they might like sticking things up their cooch and try other objects?

On 9/14/2021 at 9:19 AM, SusanAtTheLastBattle said:

Elizabeth Frazer Staddon will rock her swathes of heavy, opaque fabric to the end.

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg.f8dd08f9b394898e4a468eb23f9972f1.jpg

The expression on that little gir's face! Was it something someone said or does her vision of her future wedding dress look nothing like what Elizabeth is wearing?

On 9/15/2021 at 3:24 PM, SisterMom said:

Andersons and NIFB are still skirts only. I love Zsu's anecdote about how if you wear a skirt exclusively for 30 days, you'll feel like a man the next time you put on a pair of pants. 

What is that supposed to mean? That you suddenly have a compulsion to explain to women things you know nothing about? That you start taking up two seats on public transit just because you can? That when you arrive at work you will  sit in meetings and interrupt other women and repeat their ideas as being your own? That you will then demand a raise?

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 5

I wore jersey dresses--sleeveless or halter top--all summer because none of my shorts and jeans fit on account of that pesky weight gain we call the Covid 19. (In my case it's exactly 19 pounds) I'd forgotten how annoying it is to not have pockets, though. I plan to order a dress or two from Svahausa.com when I shed that aforementioned 19#. Also, someone just tipped me off to this website: https://www.dresseswithpockets.com/ BRB

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

I wear dresses and skirts almost all the time.

When I try to wear jeans or pants I end up with a yeast infection. I also don’t wear pantyhose, leggings or body suits. When I swim the wet suit has to come off PRONTO, as soon as I am done swimming.

On windy days I wear slim skirts, as they stay down better. I like calf length skirts, they are almost always modest and they are rarely a tripping hazard.

My clothes are comfortable, practical, and well suited to my daily life. I also add pockets to everything. 

• Upvote 8

I know some fundies and just very old school types believe tampons take a girls virginity by breaking the hymen. It's so dumb it makes my head hurt. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

I hate admitting that skirts and dresses are far more comfy for me than jeans. I also learned jeans take an enourmous amount of water per pair to manufacture, which isn't very sustainable (so yes fundies, that includes your jean skirts too). 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

@Xan,  My sister went to Clemson in the early 70s and on the one day that she  wore a skirt to class, she fell down the library steps.  Everything showed.  

Our mom was one of those non-purse carrying women.  She had a purse or two, but she never used them.  She also never wore a hat to church.  It was not required in our church, but it was common.   

• Upvote 4

As far as fundie families who will never give up skirts, I'd like to throw the Krahns in the ring (greenpasturefarms.blogspot.). Their married children rarely update their blogs but Naomi occasionally does and is very clearly skirts-only still for herself and her daughters. All of their blog pictures indicate no one in the family has strayed from skirts-- hell, they play hockey with skirts over snow pants. Also, they're not much discussed here (I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who follows them LOL) but the Gimenez family (adayinthelifeofamissionarywife.blogspot.com) seems to be pretty adamant about skirts-only. It is likely too early to tell though, as only one son is married (his wife and 3 daughters are skirts only) and there's a daughter just getting married today.  Just from reading though, it would surprise me if one of them picked up pants in the future. They don't seem to make a huge deal about it and associate with women in pants, including their church members, but I can see them always staying in skirts. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, AverageGiraffe said:

As far as fundie families who will never give up skirts, I'd like to throw the Krahns in the ring (greenpasturefarms.blogspot.). Their married children rarely update their blogs but Naomi occasionally does and is very clearly skirts-only still for herself and her daughters. All of their blog pictures indicate no one in the family has strayed from skirts-- hell, they play hockey with skirts over snow pants. Also, they're not much discussed here (I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who follows them LOL) but the Gimenez family (adayinthelifeofamissionarywife.blogspot.com) seems to be pretty adamant about skirts-only. It is likely too early to tell though, as only one son is married (his wife and 3 daughters are skirts only) and there's a daughter just getting married today.  Just from reading though, it would surprise me if one of them picked up pants in the future. They don't seem to make a huge deal about it and associate with women in pants, including their church members, but I can see them always staying in skirts. 

It looks like they are live-streaming the wedding. I don’t follow this family but I like a fundie livestream wedding. So I might watch.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Bassett Lady said:

I wear dresses and skirts almost all the time.

When I try to wear jeans or pants I end up with a yeast infection. I also don’t wear pantyhose, leggings or body suits. When I swim the wet suit has to come off PRONTO, as soon as I am done swimming.

On windy days I wear slim skirts, as they stay down better. I like calf length skirts, they are almost always modest and they are rarely a tripping hazard.

My clothes are comfortable, practical, and well suited to my daily life. I also add pockets to everything. 

I am allergic to the sun so I am in pants or long skirts in the summer. I have linen blend pants from Old Navy that might work for you because they are loose and breezy if you are in hot weather.  I have the pants in the blue shown, green, black and light tan (which I rarely wear because they are almost see through) they have them in patterns too.image.png.a204b8fa850bccf29d56de813428202e.png

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 5

I just find dresses and skirts more comfortable. I have a big belly and IBS and so pressure around my stomach is painful. I also use these pain-relieving, lidocaine patches on my hips/spine which are torn off much more easily when I’m wearing pants for some reason. In colder months I add leggings, with or without a skirt on top. (Pre pandemic I would never wear jeggings but now I’ve decided I don’t care.)

You can be just as sloppy and skin-showing in a skirt. You can be just as neat and modest in pants. I always called what priests and the Pope wear dresses until I learned that they’re actually robes but what the difference is, I don’t know. Is your outfit physically hurting you or other people? Are you showing your genitals to the public? If the answer is no, who the heck cares.

But then I also have a relative who insists on their toddler wearing bloomers or leggings under skirts/dresses so the diaper doesn’t show, which is also confusing to me because kids that small aren’t toilet trained, they wear diapers and they *love* lifting up whatever they’re wearing to show you their bellybutton. Don’t be ashamed of diapers. Don’t be ashamed of yourself. Eat the chocolate, wear the skirt, take the nap.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 12

So I watched the Gimenez wedding. It’s a very Fundie wedding. I say this because the officiant preached that Brenna was given a purity ring by her father at age 14. She kept herself pure and she’s ready to give it back. Then a song was sung about the purity ring and giving it back. The song was bad. Like really bad. The rest of the wedding was standard fundie. 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 4
  • WTF 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

On 9/20/2021 at 9:37 AM, Alisamer said:

The one thing I like about winter - I wear my hand knit shawls a lot, often with shawl pins of various kinds. I've discovered that the bigger the shawl, the more I like it. I just bought the pattern for Stephen West's mystery shawl knit-a-long for October, and I'm really looking forward to it! I've got to choose and wind all my yarn soon so I'll be ready. I always feel dressier wearing a scarf or shawl, even if I'm just wearing jeans and a hoodie otherwise. 

(A mystery knit-a-long is when you purchase the pattern knowing only generalities about it - I know it will be a shawl, it requires 5 colors of fingering weight yarn with some contrast, and just because it's Stephen West, it'll be interesting and probably large, with textural stitches but probably not much if any lace. The first section of the pattern will come out in early October, with a new section coming out once a week, so it's not until the last clue comes out that you know what the finished shawl will look like. There will be a discussion thread on Ravelry for those participating in the knit-a-long. It's very fun!) 

Stop tempting me with yarn, you hussy. My friend has already promised to show me the yarn she picked for Stephen's KAL next time we meet for knitting. I don't have time to join, but they always look so fun! And now that you have mentioned it, you have to show off your eyetraps yarn. I'm doing the gnome mystery knit along instead. A much more manageable amount of knitting.

• Love 5

My cousin had a homeschooled friend about 30 years ago that always wore below-the-knee knit jersey dresses. So did her sisters, her mom, her aunts, and her grandmother. The unmarried aunts wore shorter dresses with leggings sometimes. They were very creative at dressing them up with lots of jewelry, belts, vests (not puffer vests! Lace or brocade.), scarves, or sweaters. They also had incredibly curled, teased, and sprayed waist length hair that they always puffed in the front. JRod would have been so jealous. Because of how they wore their hair, I figured they were Pentecostal, but my cousin said they were not and no one else at their fairly mainstream evangelical church dressed that way.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

Stop tempting me with yarn, you hussy. My friend has already promised to show me the yarn she picked for Stephen's KAL next time we meet for knitting. I don't have time to join, but they always look so fun! And now that you have mentioned it, you have to show off your eyetraps yarn. I'm doing the gnome mystery knit along instead. A much more manageable amount of knitting.

I went with black, heathered gray, purple, teal, and aqua with a few purple speckles. The aqua is also lightly sparkly. Aqua is from a long ago KnitCrate and the rest is Cliudborn that was on sale recently (the purple is cloudborn but dyed by Malabrigo). I might add that lavender at the top as an accent if it seems to need it! I have a ton of Tosh light from the mega sale before Jimmy beans bought them, but it’s all speckled and variegated and sparkly which sounds like not the best for this one  so I went with plainer ones.

DA43FC4D-5F3C-4C8E-937A-F130662E73EE.thumb.jpeg.d4f724e4cf752c0f3d10cf01720518be.jpeg

i did starflake year before last and it was difficult but awesome. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 10