IGNORED

Skirts Only

meee

1 hour ago, postscript said:

The other grandmother survived into her 90s and wore more and more polyester pants and velour sweats as time went by.

My mom is big on the capri pants in a pastel with a matching polo or button up short sleeve shirt with a print or something on them. I told my sisters and her that if I ever start wearing those, please have me get a cognitive assessment. Nothing wrong with them, but they are so incredibly NOT me. 

27 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My great grandma also wore these when it rained. She didn’t want to mess up her hair 😉

1DBBB46D-6B6F-4683-A3EA-617988985E6B.jpeg

They used to give those out in little vinyl pockets that snap closed - at the bank, I think, on rainy days. 

When we cleaned out my grandparents house we found FIFTY of them. My grandma kept everything.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 15
  • Love 3

18 hours ago, SisterMom said:

Andersons and NIFB are still skirts only. I love Zsu's anecdote about how if you wear a skirt exclusively for 30 days, you'll feel like a man the next time you put on a pair of pants. 

I wear pants and gave away all of my dresses and all but two of my skirts.  A couple of years ago, we had a rash of purse snatchings so I stopped carrying a purse and made sure to only wear pants with pockets.  (I am saving my rant for a later time about the people who design women's clothes without pockets.)  Now I put my phone in one pocket and my small wallet and keys in the other.  The first few times I walked through the grocery store I thought, "this must be what it feels like to shop when you're a man".  It was liberating.  No watching the purse or having it drag against my shoulder.  You can use both arms freely.  No digging through a purse to find your wallet.

I don't know about wearing a skirt making you feel more feminine but I love the freedom and ease of motion while wearing pants.  And I love not carrying a purse.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

My mom is big on the capri pants in a pastel with a matching polo or button up short sleeve shirt with a print or something on them. I told my sisters and her that if I ever start wearing those, please have me get a cognitive assessment. Nothing wrong with them, but they are so incredibly NOT me. 

They used to give those out in little vinyl pockets that snap closed - at the bank, I think, on rainy days. 

When we cleaned out my grandparents house we found FIFTY of them. My grandma kept everything.

not good at splitting quotes, but to your first part, that is *exactly* how my mom dresses, and while she means well, she thinks most women should too, and she gives me side-eye over my retro-50s wardrobe.  she thinks i don't see the side-eye, but i do (we have a complex relationship).  i don't own any capris or polos (or campshirts).  i don't even like tee shirts all that much, and what did i get for my birthday this spring?  half a dozen pastel tees.  yeah, it's complicated.

and my Nana (great grandma) had at least a dozen of the rain bonnets in little containers!  some of them had little plastic flowers on the lids, and i thought those were the coolest things ever!

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

Omg my mom was born in 1955 and I swear she loves her pastel colored capris! She seriously has a pair in every color! She normally wears a floral shirt to match. 

• Upvote 7

My mid 80s YO mom wears the same clothes from the 1980s. Her laundry regimen is something else. Her clothes show no wear at all. She has new clothes that she is “saving.” FOR WHAT, you’re cruising towards 90!

ETA- I was born in the 50s…no pastels or capris here. Black, most of my clothes are black or blue or jeans or athletic wear.

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 9

My paternal grandmother, born 1915, wore only dresses until she died in 1997. I don't think she was into fashion of any kind, because all her dresses where made of the same pattern, some kind of shirtwaist dress ( straight skirt, button down colar, buttons all the way down the dress) and in the worst 70 colors and prints. And what most shocked me as a kid was how much underwear she wore. A camisole, a corselet and a kneelength slip on over before the dress. And she wore pantyhoses every day, no matter how cold or hot.
My maternal grandmother, born 1939, was the total opposite, Well into fashion, but the only time I saw her in a skirt where in pics from the 1950s and she wore a pettycoat.
I prefer dresses or loose skirts for myself, because I have to wear a flatknit compression pantyhose daily and coupled that with jeans restricts my movement. And the skirts have to be angle lenght, I want to hide that dreadged thing, esp in summer.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 3

12 minutes ago, klein_roeschen said:

My paternal grandmother, born 1915, wore only dresses until she died in 1997. I don't think she was into fashion of any kind, because all her dresses where made of the same pattern, some kind of shirtwaist dress ( straight skirt, button down colar, buttons all the way down the dress) and in the worst 70 colors and prints. And what most shocked me as a kid was how much underwear she wore. A camisole, a corselet and a kneelength slip on over before the dress. And she wore pantyhoses every day, no matter how cold or hot.
My maternal grandmother, born 1939, was the total opposite, Well into fashion, but the only time I saw her in a skirt where in pics from the 1950s and she wore a pettycoat.
I prefer dresses or loose skirts for myself, because I have to wear a flatknit compression pantyhose daily and coupled that with jeans restricts my movement. And the skirts have to be angle lenght, I want to hide that dreadged thing, esp in summer.

My great grandma that was born in 1913 dressed kind of similarly. Her dresses were mostly simple like your grandma. But she just had ordinary material. Like a blue dress or a gray dress. It wasn’t 70s print. I imagine she bought the material that was on sale and durable. She made a lot of her own clothing. She also wore a slip and panty hose most of the time. She might’ve chucked the pantyhose when weeding her garden though. But then her daughter, who is still alive, loves to keep up with latest fashions. I’m sure she has way more clothing than me and I bet it’s a lot newer than mine too. I think they are so different because my great grandmother experienced the depression and my grandma was Ryoo young to remember it. So my great grandma was way too thrifty to shop for new clothes all the time. 

• Upvote 2

My grandmother, b 1906, wore mostly dresses. There are a few pictures of her wearing shorts but that would have been in the 60's or so. The mother, b 1933 (or so) wore all the latest fashions in the 50's-80's. I don't think she actually wore jeans until maybe I was already out of high school (1981). She was one of those who always had her hair and make up done and would "dress" before she left the house. Me? If my clothes are on right side out, sorta match, hair looks like it may have seen a brush and my shoes are on the right feet, it's a win! Right now I'm really into capri-length leggings, can dress 'em up or down with what you wear on top. Shoes? Either my fake Birks or my Nikes. I'm gonna have to go buy an interview outfit though...getting my resume fixed up to apply for the job at Lockheed Martin. That could be a disaster because I might geek out on the interviewer. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 4

I don’t remember either grandma, both born around 1925, ever wearing skirts, nor the only great-grandma I ever knew. I’ve seen photos of them in dresses for formal occasions (like my christening), but have no memory of seeing any of them in anything but pants.

• Upvote 2

I love wearing skirts/dresses.  They're so easy and comfortable, and so much cooler in summer.  And I have the good fortune of a small build and high metabolism so chafing isn't an issue for me.  I mostly spend my life in scrubs, but I'm usually in a skirt outside of that.  Not exclusively, but normally.  

• Upvote 6

On 9/16/2021 at 11:33 AM, Xan said:

(I am saving my rant for a later time about the people who design women's clothes without pockets.) 

I hope I see it when you post it! 

Theres a pile of Shorts and jeans in my car to go to the dressmaker for the addition of REAL pockets! Pockets the size of those in men’s jeans!  Accept no substitutes. 

ETA I feel/felt the same thing as you do without a purse: mobility! FREEDOM!

Yesterday I wore a dress and a scarf pinned with a bodacious (though I ssy it myself) brooch. The server at the Mediterranean  cafe complimented me and said how she misses the European custom if dressing up a bit “just to go fur coffee.” 

So today, i wore a boho skirt, top that doesn’t tuck in, another scarf and brooch to Costco. SisterJB remarked how nice I looked, and repeated herself a while later!  

I’ll run out of skirts before tops, but I think I’ll try a scarf and brooch even when I wear jeans or khakis.  It seems to bring some People joy, I’ve got a collection of both scarves and brooches to have fun with, so … why not!

However, any Jill Rodrigues-ish fundie who sidles up to me conspiratorially and talks about “sluttishly dressed women” will get such a surprise! Oh yes she will. 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 11

On 9/16/2021 at 9:37 AM, postscript said:

I also love the current trend of jersey dresses over leggings. 

and  

On 9/16/2021 at 4:26 PM, feministxtian said:

Right now I'm really into capri-length leggings, can dress 'em up or down with what you wear on top.

I will happily die on this hill...leggings and capris = so comfy, but I wanna cover the bum unless I'm working out at the gym...so tunics or longer w/ leggings for public wear. 

I recall the Pennington girls rocking this look five or so years back.  I thought it was the perfect fundy solution -- a casual cotton knee length dress over leggings. It looked great and ticked the fundy boxes for modesty. 

Lately I've bought a few pairs of capri leggings that have side pockets, and now that trend has spread to real bike shorts for cycling, (rather than the fashion bike shorts out this year, although I hope those have side pockets as well). 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Howl said:

Lately I've bought a few pairs of capri leggings that have side pockets, and now that trend has spread to real bike shorts for cycling, (rather than the fashion bike shorts out this year, although I hope those have side pockets as well). 

YES!!! The side pockets are a requirement for me. When I have the $$, I'm going to go get some more winter-weight long leggings and some tunic tops. 

• Upvote 4

As late as the sixties house dresses came in half sizes—intended for post menopausal women whose waist was a thing of the past. My grandmother preferred Shelton Strollers. 
memories!

• Upvote 6

So, this skirts only thing brought up a memory of a woman that I worked with years ago, maybe 30 years.  Anyway, she attended a conservative Baptist church in a small town. 

Jeans and tees were standard work wear in our office and that's what she wore, but  it was dresses only at her church. Also, she told us the pastor did not "allow" his wife and daughters to wear pants or shorts and they couldn't use tampons; pads only.   Has anyone heard of this "no tampons" rule in fundy land?

It struck me as bizarre at the time and still does. 

• Upvote 4
  • WTF 1

2 hours ago, Howl said:

So, this skirts only thing brought up a memory of a woman that I worked with years ago, maybe 30 years.  Anyway, she attended a conservative Baptist church in a small town. 

Jeans and tees were standard work wear in our office and that's what she wore, but  it was dresses only at her church. Also, she told us the pastor did not "allow" his wife and daughters to wear pants or shorts and they couldn't use tampons; pads only.   Has anyone heard of this "no tampons" rule in fundy land?

I’ve read about the no-tampon thing for conservative religious women, and find it a bit funny: Do men actually think that simply shoving a cylinder in a vadge will get a woman off? If so, these dudes probably aren’t such hot stuff in the sack.

Back around 1980, I worked with a young woman who was, per her pastor’s orders, skirts-only. It was a bitter cold winter, and I asked her how he’d feel having to walk through the streets of the city in a skirt in windy zero-degree weather. She laughed and showed me the woolly leg warmers she had on under her flowing waltz-length skirt!

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Hane said:

I’ve read about the no-tampon thing for conservative religious women, and find it a bit funny: Do men actually think that simply shoving a cylinder in a vadge will get a woman off? If so, these dudes probably aren’t such hot stuff in the sack.

True story: A good girlfriend told me that her new husband absolutely squealed when he asked her what it was like to insert a tampon.  When she assured him it was NBD, he said, “I just can’t imagine it doesn’t give you a thrill!”

He came out about 2 years after the wedding. Love her, loved him.  But I thought here would be a good place to mention their story:  just a commentary on men who think “shoving a cylinder in a vadge will get a woman off.”  

Protesting too much, oh conservative manly-men religious dudes????  Hmmmm??!?!? /ironic 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 11

4 hours ago, Howl said:

I heard it was verboten because of the risk of damaging the hymen so that there was no "proof" of virginity on the wedding night. I had horrific periods and started using tampons as soon as I was allowed, but one of my fundy-lite friends was horrified and that was her reason.

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, Howl said:

and  

I will happily die on this hill...leggings and capris = so comfy, but I wanna cover the bum unless I'm working out at the gym...so tunics or longer w/ leggings for public wear. 

I recall the Pennington girls rocking this look five or so years back.  I thought it was the perfect fundy solution -- a casual cotton knee length dress over leggings. It looked great and ticked the fundy boxes for modesty. 

The girls of Joyous lessons blog (trad/fundie catholic) wear jersey dresses and long or capri leggings. I think of all the possible fundie restrictions on dress this is the 'nicest'. In that it is comfortable and easy to move in, they come in a variety of cuts and colours and it looks 'normal'.

• I Agree 5

4 hours ago, ofDany said:

I heard it was verboten because of the risk of damaging the hymen so that there was no "proof" of virginity on the wedding night. I had horrific periods and started using tampons as soon as I was allowed, but one of my fundy-lite friends was horrified and that was her reason.

This was a common thought, not just fundie. Tampax made adverts about it: http://www.mum.org/tamvirad.htm

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

5 hours ago, medimus said:

Joyous lessons blog (trad/fundie catholic)

Erma Gerd, that woman is Super Woman.  The kids are obviously getting a good education, but, damn she is MEGA scary organized and that's just for school. She also has to feed those kids, keep a house, etc.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, medimus said:

I think of all the possible fundie restrictions on dress this is the 'nicest'.

Really? REALLY!?!

Do you realize that this affects every waking moment of that person's life? Sets her off as "different" at school, work, whatever? Makes certain sports, certain work, certain recreation not possible? That there was a time when wearing a dress also required a slip and hosiery (leggings were unheard of)? I could go on.

I am still flabbergasted by this comment.

55 minutes ago, apple1 said:

Really? REALLY!?!

Do you realize that this affects every waking moment of that person's life? Sets her off as "different" at school, work, whatever? Makes certain sports, certain work, certain recreation not possible? That there was a time when wearing a dress also required a slip and hosiery (leggings were unheard of)? I could go on.

I am still flabbergasted by this comment.

Umm, I think we have misunderstood eachother here, I mean of all the possible ways fundies could restrict what girls wear, jersey leggings under a jersey dress (knee length or above) is the most comfortable and least restrictive and most 'normal'. I did not in any way mean that it is a good thing that it is restricted. And I'm talking about now, obviously I know at some point leggings weren't invented. And I doubt I would notice that it was a restriction, in the blog I mention above, I would not have noticed the way the children are dressed, except that it is mentioned once in a post. Thus me saying most 'normal'. 

1 hour ago, Howl said:

Erma Gerd, that woman is Super Woman.  The kids are obviously getting a good education, but, damn she is MEGA scary organized and that's just for school. She also has to feed those kids, keep a house, etc.  

I think, like so many of the families we follow, the oldest children/girls do a lot of work. Specifically in this blog, it bothers me that in every group photo of the children, as far back as it goes, the oldest daughter is holding the baby (never the oldest son, who is older or any other child). There are posts about how the oldest girls are good at cooking, but no mention of the boys etc. It's quite sexist, despite what looks like a very good academic education.

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, medimus said:

The girls of Joyous lessons blog (trad/fundie catholic) wear jersey dresses and long or capri leggings. I think of all the possible fundie restrictions on dress this is the 'nicest'. In that it is comfortable and easy to move in, they come in a variety of cuts and colours and it looks 'normal'.

And even in some “mainstream” circles this look isn’t considered “modest” enough. A few years ago, I saw a story on an ex-Mormon site in which a girl in a college library was wearing an absolutely adorable knit skater dress (not quite short enough to be mini) with long sleeves over leggings. The look was really cute and I would have bought that outfit for my own daughter without hesitation—but some uptight jamoke felt compelled to slip her a note chiding her for being an “eye trap” and a “temptation.” 

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 2

2 hours ago, medimus said:

I think, like so many of the families we follow, the oldest children/girls do a lot of work.

I think it was @woonaluna (who left the Jeubs, her well known fundy family of origin), making a comment that the girls in the family were competent at so many practical household things (child raising, cooking, cleaning, laundry, problem solving, etc.) but the boys were simply useless.  (@woonaluna, if I've mischaracterized or gotten this wrong, please add a correction)  

The sister mom phenomena is real, y'all.  I've referred elsewhere to twitter threads by women who were forced into sister mom roles in mega families -- a primary care role for an endless string of babies as well as household chores.  They were forced into being  household drudges who were too exhausted for an education if one was even provided, some whose health was broken because the insane demands during their childhood took a terrible toll on their bodies. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1