IGNORED

Maxwell 51: Empty Nesters, Empty Vesters? End of an Era

Coconut Flan

On 9/14/2021 at 4:21 PM, ElizaB said:

I believe Sarah does book keeping for her brother's companies. I remember her talking about using quickbooks. Also, I think we under estimate how much money she made from the Moodys. 

On 9/14/2021 at 4:33 PM, ElizaB said:

I'd be really interested to see a log of profits for all their books. I think it is obvious that Sarah and Teri's books are the big earners compared to Steve's. I wonder how this sits with him. 

I was wondering the same thing about the profits of her books. I went out to the website. She has 9 books The individual (non bundled cost) for all 9 books is $111.04. For ease of math, if she sold a total of 1,000 books that is $111,040 in sales. I don't know how much mark up is nor how much it costs to publish. Anyone have any guesses at how much she would profit if she had over $100k in sales? 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I was wondering the same thing about the profits of her books. I went out to the website. She has 9 books The individual (non bundled cost) for all 9 books is $111.04. For ease of math, if she sold a total of 1,000 books that is $111,040 in sales. I don't know how much mark up is nor how much it costs to publish. Anyone have any guesses at how much she would profit if she had over $100k in sales? 

She is self-published so it's pretty high I believe.

• Thank You 2

13 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

She is self-published so it's pretty high I believe.

When you publish your own, you get to keep a lot more of the $$$ than you do if you go through a publisher (plus, there would be an agent getting their 15%).

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Not only do they self publish- she doesn't have an editor (clearly) and Mary does all the illustrations. They also take the orders themselves and ship them out. So it is solely the cost of the printing. I don't have any idea how much that costs but I can't imagine it is too much. 

• Upvote 4

On 9/16/2021 at 1:44 AM, Austrian Atheist said:

Linkedin, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube. They post no private things - only their Magento stuff. But they certainly communicate with peers in their field over those channels. Actually Nathan is on same social medias as well -  but I think he only posts under his company's name. Joseph and Jesse have Twitter accounts with their own names. I don't link them here. a) it's not hard to find and b) it's their business stuff - nothing snark worthy (or maybe Magento experts can snark on it but I don't even fully understand what Magento actually is other than an e-commerce software?).

That's basically it, but it's more on an enterprise level than something like, say, Shopify. My daughter's first job post coding bootcamp was with a company that developed e-com sites using Magento for some major clients. 

Joseph does a lot of networking within the tech community (Jesse as well) and I would bet that he's had his eyes opened in many ways. He's interacting with all kinds of people and probably finding out that daddy sold him a bill of goods about their sinful ways. While I don't think he'll ever fully reject how he was brought up, if he questions Steve's rigid thinking, that can only be a good thing.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

5 minutes ago, sparkles said:

That's basically it, but it's more on an enterprise level than something like, say, Shopify. My daughter's first job post coding bootcamp was with a company that developed e-com sites using Magento for some major clients. 

Joseph does a lot of networking within the tech community (Jesse as well) and I would bet that he's had his eyes opened in many ways. He's interacting with all kinds of people and probably finding out that daddy sold him a bill of goods about their sinful ways. While I don't think he'll ever fully reject how he was brought up, if he questions Steve's rigid thinking, that can only be a good thing.

I don't think that they will do a 180 but at least they lighten up a bit. Jesse has still "conservative" and "christian" in his Twitter bio for example. But still every little change is better than the micromanaging and the agonizing over every little bean in their burrito in Maxhell. I saw on Linkedin that they hired a guy in Croatia for remote work. Croatia is a very, very catholic country. Chances are slim that the guy is the right brand of Christianity. Still, they hired him. I cannot imagine that Steve would have done such a thing! Also when Jesse&Anna moved they had help from a friend with noticeable tattoos. Again, I cannot imagine Steve would associate with someone like that. They must realize that not everyone, who doesn't follow all of their Maxwell rules, is a bad, sinful person.

• Upvote 4

Regarding Sarah's books, she does sell some of them at Christian bookstores as well as online.  Do you have to pay a bookstore to carry your books?

17 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

When you publish your own, you get to keep a lot more of the $$$ than you do if you go through a publisher (plus, there would be an agent getting their 15%).

No, you first have to earn back what you spent to "publish" it and then you have to do all the marketing. It isn't all it is cracked up to be.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sparkles said:

Joseph does a lot of networking within the tech community (Jesse as well) and I would bet that he's had his eyes opened in many ways. He's interacting with all kinds of people and probably finding out that daddy sold him a bill of goods about their sinful ways.

I thought that this analysis of the Maxhell update was pretty good:

Maybe the Maxwell morals have changed.   If they did, we'll never hear about it.  

The bigger issue, I think, is finances. 

Re: costs of publishing. Speaking as someone whoʻs been involved peripherally with getting a journal published, hard copy publishing is cheaper if you can do a press run of at least 500. While the initial $$ layout is larger, assuming you can sell most or all of those 500 copies, itʻs not cost-prohibitive. If they handle their own distribution to Christian stores & the like, that would also save money. In any case, it would be quite interesting to see the balance sheets for the business.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

I thought that this analysis of the Maxhell update was pretty good:

Re: costs of publishing. Speaking as someone whoʻs been involved peripherally with getting a journal published, hard copy publishing is cheaper if you can do a press run of at least 500. While the initial $$ layout is larger, assuming you can sell most or all of those 500 copies, itʻs not cost-prohibitive. If they handle their own distribution to Christian stores & the like, that would also save money. In any case, it would be quite interesting to see the balance sheets for the business.

Thanks for posting the link to that blog.  I didn't know about that one.  I think the economic angle for allowing the daughters more freedom makes sense.  It makes me wonder if Steve didn't allow sports or musical instruments or any other outside activities because of the expense as much as to isolate his kids.  Our daughter was on a  competitive swim team and took piano lessons for years.  Nothing extra-curricular is cheap.