IGNORED

Priscilla and David Waller 11: Pecanling Number Six Is Here

GreyhoundFan

On 2/20/2022 at 2:05 PM, Expectopatronus said:

They might not stay on yet. Mine was three months before even newborn socks stayed on. 

That's why God invented footed sleepers, praise Rufus.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 2

19 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Confession:

I was basically the laziest mom ever when it came to socks. My kids just wore footed PJs 24/7 when they were wee little.

Lately, I find I reply to a thread and then see you've already said it better. Footed PJs for the win! I call my 6-month-old Mr Wiggles and Jiggles. No sock stands a chance!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

I’m not sure how big this baby was at birth, but doesn’t  Pris usually have big ones? In any case, I’m always surprised when people birth bigger babies, yet they seem to be that same size for a good long time. The Duggars babies are much the same. And baby Finley Paine, who was small at birth, still seems itty, bitty.  Am I the only one who birthed 7 pounders who weighed near 11 pounds at one month? Yet, both of mine were tiny toddlers. Growth patterns are so strange. She is a beautiful baby, as is Finley-

• Upvote 4

Priscilla’s testimony is why there is early intervention. The first signs of future reading difficulties is  If a child’s expressive language is behind (around age 2-3).  Early intervention provides speech therapy and play therapy to work the brain to compensate and in essence rewire to maximize the child’s potential.  It is too bad Priscilla did not have these advantages due to the stupidity of her parents. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 8

18 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I’m not sure how big this baby was at birth, but doesn’t  Pris usually have big ones? In any case, I’m always surprised when people birth bigger babies, yet they seem to be that same size for a good long time. The Duggars babies are much the same. And baby Finley Paine, who was small at birth, still seems itty, bitty.  Am I the only one who birthed 7 pounders who weighed near 11 pounds at one month? Yet, both of mine were tiny toddlers. Growth patterns are so strange. She is a beautiful baby, as is Finley-

I had one breast fed baby and one formula fed baby. My formula fed baby grew faster than my breast fed baby. However today at 7 and 9, they are both above average in height and aren’t overweight. The younger one is following a similar size path to his older brother. Even though they were fed differently at first. But what’s funniest is to see how my older son is built exactly like me: very broad shoulders and broad chested with plenty of arm and leg muscle. And my younger son is built exactly like my husband: narrow shoulders, thin arms and legs, and a small chest. But both boys are tall. Their body build is so genetic it’s crazy to me to witness.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

4 lb in a month is pretty impressive! I think 2 lb is more common. your kid probably jumped up some percentiles on the growth curve.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

Lately, I find I reply to a thread and then see you've already said it better. Footed PJs for the win! I call my 6-month-old Mr Wiggles and Jiggles. No sock stands a chance!

Yes! It’s all baby boy wore until he could walk. Now that he’s walking, the footed PJs are too slippery. During the day we mostly use tights with anti-slipping socks on top, because they will stay on. Normal socks just don’t work, and it’s too cold to be barefoot.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

Yes! It’s all baby boy wore until he could walk. Now that he’s walking, the footed PJs are too slippery. During the day we mostly use tights with anti-slipping socks on top, because they will stay on. Normal socks just don’t work, and it’s too cold to be barefoot.

Another lazy mom admission: even when my younger son was a year old and walking, I would leave him in the footed pj suits and just throw shoes on him with the footie pjs when we would go out. There are pics of him at the playground or out on a walk with his Jammie’s and shoes. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, GreenBeans said:

-35 here and my turkey is yanking off her socks and walking around barefoot. She also refuses to keep her hat and mitts on; I look negligent lol. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • Love 5

12 minutes ago, Expectopatronus said:

-35 here and my turkey is yanking off her socks and walking around barefoot. She also refuses to keep her hat and mitts on; I look negligent lol. 

Yes! I was always worried I would get a comment like, “put some mittens on that poor baby.” But my kids didn’t like mittens when they are little. I saw a woman with a barefoot baby outside at school pick up and it was like 32 degrees. I didn’t say a word. Even if her feet looked cold, she might be a kid that rips her socks off every time. I try to keep my possibly hurtful opinions to myself. 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 5

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Yes! I was always worried I would get a comment like, “put some mittens on that poor baby.” But my kids didn’t like mittens when they are little. I saw a woman with a barefoot baby outside at school pick up and it was like 32 degrees. I didn’t say a word. Even if her feet looked cold, she might be a kid that rips her socks off every time. I try to keep my possibly hurtful opinions to myself. 

At 32 degrees if you can't keep their feet warm you keep them inside.  Or you put them in tights they can't get out of under a snowsuit.

• WTF 1

5 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

At 32 degrees if you can't keep their feet warm you keep them inside.  Or you put them in tights they can't get out of under a snowsuit.

Well sure there are other options. But my point was that I’m not going to say anything to some random person at pickup. It’s not going to change anything. Except the woman might now hate me. Just like I wouldn’t tell Jill Rod to stop shaming people for wearing pants on social media if I happened to run into her at a restaurant. People don’t usually listen to unsolicited advice from strangers. That’s why I was baffled when an older lady would tell me to put a blanket on my baby. He ran hot (and still does today) and usually didn’t want a blanket when we were out. I rarely got comments like that thankfully. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Well sure there are other options. But my point was that I’m not going to say anything to some random person at pickup. It’s not going to change anything. Except the woman might now hate me. Just like I wouldn’t tell Jill Rod to stop shaming people for wearing pants on social media if I happened to run into her at a restaurant. People don’t usually listen to unsolicited advice from strangers. That’s why I was baffled when an older lady would tell me to put a blanket on my baby. He ran hot (and still does today) and usually didn’t want a blanket when we were out. I rarely got comments like that thankfully. 

I get that whether to say something or not depends on the situation, but there is a huge difference between a kid running hot in cooler weather and an infant with exposed feet in literally freezing weather.  One is MYOB and the other is dangerous.  I was responding to you saying she may be a kid who rips her socks off all the time.  Well, okay, then if she is she shouldn't be out in weather where that can literally harm her if the mom can't keep her safe.  

All barefoot situations are not created equal.

Just now, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I get that whether to say something or not depends on the situation, but there is a huge difference between a kid running hot in cooler weather and an infant with exposed feet in literally freezing weather.  One is MYOB and the other is dangerous.  I was responding to you saying she may be a kid who rips her socks off all the time.  Well, okay, then if she is she shouldn't be out in weather where that can literally harm her if the mom can't keep her safe.  

All barefoot situations are not created equal.

But is it dangerous for a baby not to have socks on? I wouldn’t report it to CPS. I don’t think the baby can get frost bite just for being exposed at school Pick up. Maybe if the baby was there for hours. 

• Upvote 7

I don't think feet get colder than hands... so if a day is warm enough (or an outing is brief enough) for a baby to be without mittens, it's warm enough for them to be without socks. (Maybe even more-so, since a baby's hands are likely to be wet, but their feet are likely to be dry.)

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But is it dangerous for a baby not to have socks on? I wouldn’t report it to CPS. I don’t think the baby can get frost bite just for being exposed at school Pick up. Maybe if the baby was there for hours. 

Who said anything about calling CPS?  You put it in the same category of a kid running hot and I'm pointing out that when it's at freezing or below exposed skin, especially extremities, need to be covered on an infant because they don't regulate temperature the way adults do and the most vulnerable parts in freezing weather are ears, noses, fingers, and toes.  

But sure, my calling out your handwaving of this like it's not a big deal and you responding you couldn't call CPS isn't a disproportionate strawman.  

And sorry, even if the kids kicks it's socks off she can wrap a blanket around his feet so you he'd stay warmer and you wouldn't even know. 

Fwiw if it were me I wouldn't be reprimandy, I'd be helpful and say "Oh gosh your little guy lost his socks!  and if she didn't have one give her a throw blanket from my car while I pretended to be looking for the socks on the ground.  She saves face and hopefully learns that freezing temps aren't appropriate for infants to be barefoot.

The general rule of thumb is to keep babies on one more layer than you'd keep an adult in because their inability to regulate temps as easily.  If it would be asinine for an adult to be barefoot then no baby should be.

• Upvote 1
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Who said anything about calling CPS?  You put it in the same category of a kid running hot and I'm pointing out that when it's at freezing or below exposed skin, especially extremities, need to be covered on an infant because they don't regulate temperature the way adults do and the most vulnerable parts in freezing weather are ears, noses, fingers, and toes.  

But sure, my calling out your handwaving of this like it's not a big deal and you responding you couldn't call CPS isn't a disproportionate strawman.  

And sorry, even if the kids kicks it's socks off she can wrap a blanket around his feet so you he'd stay warmer and you wouldn't even know. 

Fwiw if it were me I wouldn't be reprimandy, I'd be helpful and say "Oh gosh your little guy lost his socks!  and if she didn't have one give her a throw blanket from my car while I pretended to be looking for the socks on the ground.  She saves face and hopefully learns that freezing temps aren't appropriate for infants to be barefoot.

The general rule of thumb is to keep babies on one more layer than you'd keep an adult in because their inability to regulate temps as easily.  If it would be asinine for an adult to be barefoot then no baby should be.

You said it’s dangerous. I don’t see how it’s dangerous. Please explain then.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You said it’s dangerous. I don’t see how it’s dangerous. Please explain then.

Thought better of my tone - edited within regular edit window no mod powers used.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm sorry, you want me to explain why exposed extremities of infants who cannot regulate their body temps in literally freezing weather is dangerous?  Should my next PSA be on why children need food?  Or why rain makes things wet?

Seriously, google is a thing.  Or don't....whatever.  This conversation is ridiculous.

I was wondering why you thought it was dangerous. I didn’t think it was dangerous and you obviously disagree. 

5 hours ago, PlentyOfJesusFishInTheSea said:

4 lb in a month is pretty impressive! I think 2 lb is more common. your kid probably jumped up some percentiles on the growth curve.

I went and looked. It was 11 lbs at 2 months, so I guess more in line, but mine must have been shorter because they were Roly-poly and in no way dainty like all these babies seem to be-

• Thank You 1

I have this scenario of the sock-less baby at school pick up that goes something like this:

Baby pulls socks off, all day every day. Because that’s what some babies do. Between caring for the child, caring for other children, housework, and maybe even working a paying job remotely mom decides that because they’re in the house being sock-less is no great tragedy. As moms often do it’s time to pick a battle. Accomplish other things or spend 8 hours doing nothing but putting socks back on the baby. Because moms are busy people, and taking care of babies is exhausting hard work I’m imagining a mad dash out the door to make it to school pick up. Where in a heated car no socks is not a super big deal. Mom goes to get baby out of carrier. Baby has no socks. Mom might for the FIRST time in this entire situation realize she has a sock-less child. She knows it’s absurd, but what can she do now? If the baby kicks socks off what are the chances he/she will stay foot swaddled in a blanket? If the diaper bag is even in the car for such a short trip, it might be a bit of bad luck that extra socks aren’t in the bag. So rolling her eyes and bracing herself for the possible mom shaming coming her way she heads to school pick up. For the brief walk from the car to the school and then back, this for now will just have to do. Because if she left the baby in the car, that would be an even bigger safety issue. The mom deals with the eye rolling, weird stares, and possible comments about her child being without socks. The mom throws up her hands in desperation and  falls to her knees wailing because @HerNameIsBuffy is not there to rescue the feet of this child with a spare blanket, spare baby socks, tights, or  extra snowsuit with feet  that absolutely every mother keeps on her at all times. The other child is dismissed from school. They all get in the car, drive home. Heat blasting. The mom gets everyone in the house and puts the baby in footie pajamas for the rest of the night. In a shocking application of common sense and basic science it is deduced that in the whole two minutes of being outside without socks the baby suffered no permanent damage. The mom goes to bed dreaming that someday she can be the aspirational figure of motherhood where the kids aren’t sock-less for even one second. 

Edited by SunnySide
  • Upvote 7
  • Fuck You 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 7
  • Love 5

21 minutes ago, SunnySide said:

I have this scenario of the sock-less baby at school pick up that goes something like this:

Baby pulls socks off, all day every day. Because that’s what some babies do. Between caring for the child, caring for other children, housework, and maybe even working a paying job remotely mom decides that because they’re in the house being sock-less is no great tragedy. As moms often do it’s time to pick a battle. Accomplish other things or spend 8 hours doing nothing but putting socks back on the baby. Because moms are busy people, and taking care of babies is exhausting hard work I’m imagining a mad dash out the door to make it to school pick up. Where in a heated car no socks is not a super big deal. Mom goes to get baby out of carrier. Baby has no socks. Mom might for the FIRST time in this entire situation realize she has a sock-less child. She knows it’s absurd, but what can she do now? If the baby kicks socks off what are the chances he/she will stay foot swaddled in a blanket? If the diaper bag is even in the car for such a short trip, it might be a bit of bad luck that extra socks aren’t in the bag. So rolling her eyes and bracing herself for the possible mom shaming coming her way she heads to school pick up. For the brief walk from the car to the school and then back, this for now will just have to do. Because if she left the baby in the car, that would be an even bigger safety issue. The mom deals with the eye rolling, weird stares, and possible comments about her child being without socks. The mom throws up her hands in desperation and  falls to her knees wailing because @HerNameIsBuffy is not there to rescue the feet of this child with a spare blanket, spare baby socks, tights, or  extra snowsuit with feet  that absolutely every mother keeps on her at all times. The other child is dismissed from school. They all get in the car, drive home. Heat blasting. The mom gets everyone in the house and puts the baby in footie pajamas for the rest of the night. In a shocking application of common sense and basic science it is deduced that in the whole two minutes of being outside without socks the baby suffered no permanent damage. The mom goes to bed dreaming that someday she can be the aspirational figure of motherhood where the kids aren’t sock-less for even one second. 

Sounds like someone is super invested in defending people who can't practice the most basic child care.   I wish you all the best in your career writing fanfic about people so incompetent they are physically thwarted by infants!

• Upvote 1
  • Fuck You 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 1

I should have kept my yap shut about baby feets. 😢

True story: Years ago, I was at a bookstore with my toddler, who was in her stroller. I stopped at a display of books to peruse them (at length), then looked down to see that my baby had removed her Mary Janes and socks and had both her feet in her mouth. I wanted to *die*.

• Haha 14

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

You must live in either a warm climate or a marine climate.

32 degrees in a dry climate is no big deal, it comparably feels like 50s for a Marine climate.

Even sub zero temps; if it's dry, I'm fine running my errands in jeans, slip ons, a fleece jacket, and a hat, which is the same as to what I'd wear in 40 degree weather in the Marine climate.

• Upvote 3
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Sounds like someone is super invested in defending people who can't practice the most basic child care.   I wish you all the best in your career writing fanfic about people so incompetent they are physically thwarted by infants!

Wasn’t so much about defending them. But about getting you to critically think about a scenario where it could very easily happen. It is clearly a skill that you lack, immediately jumping to the conclusion that one day without socks isn’t a parental mistake but is almost a form of abuse in your eyes. Other posters were trying to calmly and logically explain to you “crap happens and if it was a short trip it might not be as bad as you think”. Clearly, you wanted nothing more than to just stand on your high horse with your take on the situation being the only correct one, and it does not escape me how overly critical of everyone and everything you are here, and I do not mean the Fundie families we all love to snark on. Yes. It’s a snark site but it’s painfully obvious that you cannot handle any FJ commenter  who disagrees with you in the slightest. Why are you so angry? What is going on in your life that you can’t handle? I really don’t remember you being like this before and it’s just sort of sad to see that you’ve declined to the point where you cannot handle a differing opinion. I am not sorry I took the long way around to say “parents are busy, shit happens, and they’re often exhausted, and sometimes even BASIC but important things fall through the cracks.” They’re awfully small but infants do often physically thwart the adults around them. Mostly from sheer exhaustion leading to forgetfulness. If you are a parent I really encourage you to begin your book on how you have done absolutely every single thing large and small perfectly, without ever being thwarted by your child/children. Guess what? If they’ve never tripped you up, made you forget something out of sheer exhaustion, or thrown off your plans that’s a sign that you have some serious control issues and can’t handle anything that isn’t your way. Oh wow, I’m sensing a recurring theme here. The theme is…Buffy can’t handle anything that’s not her way all the time! 
 If you’re not a parent I strongly encourage you to wipe the smug out of your attitude about parenting. I don’t have kids and even I am willing to admit that it’s the hardest work in the world and  stupid shit happens all the time when you’re trying to care for another human (especially one that doesn’t talk yet).  Would I have said something to the lady if the baby kept showing up without socks? Sure. But one time nbd.

Edited by SunnySide
  • Upvote 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic