IGNORED

"So what would you have me do?"-re: church sexism

dawbs

Ok, so I had a (long) conversation w/ someone I love this week about sexism within the church.  About how my progressive church church is closing this location (it's a thing.  I have to make some decisions once going to church becomes a possibility) and I'm not sure what the longer-term plan is.  And part of that is that I feel profoundly betrayed by the protestant church as it exists as a cesspool of sexism.  And part of that also means that fuck if my kid is going where the message says  she's lesser than her male counterparts.

So, long story short, I pointed asked how women in leadership are considered by his church--and he didn't know (to which my response was literally "why the fuck not?").

The conversation ended with "ok, as a joe Schmoe member of my church and a man, what could I do to make this seem more OK?"

And ...I was blanker than I thought I should be.
I said 1)find out what they say about it because there's no excuse not to know.  And talk to authorities about how that's driving people like us away--and read a a book or 3 on the topic 2)attend a meeting. Amplify women's voices, shut up men who talk over us (and yes, I assured him that I could guarant-fucking-tee  it was happening, he just hadn't noticed) and 3) find ways to promote women in leadership.

Since this will be a conversation w/ follow up....since it was a genuine offer and I was caught flat footed...what would FJ suggest?
If you had a well-respected, old, cis, straight, white dude wanting to be an ally against church sexism, what would y'all ask for?  How could he not be a...I guess a paul?

• Upvote 4