IGNORED

Maxwell 50: Maxhell Has Frozen Over. Anna and Mary Are Off to College and Sarah Moves Out!

Coconut Flan

59 minutes ago, Caroline said:

I think Mary and her sister would have been good nuns if they were Catholic.

I think so too.  I thought that from the beginning. 

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

There have been hints for years that the girls had girlfriends in the big world and at least the older reversal boys had social lives.

Yes, it occurred to me that Steve has been perpetrating a long-running scam along the lines of "Do as I say but not as I do (because I wonʻt let you see what we actually do)."

I hope that Sarah is staying at home by her choice and because sheʻs happiest there -- her dogʻs companionship being high on the list of reasons why. Weʻll probably never know the truth of it.

Also, if Anna & Mary are now at college is Teri allowed to drink Pepsi again?

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1

I know pants aren’t a big deal. But I can’t help but be surprised at all the pants and shorts on the females on ABC campus. They must not have a strict skirts only policy. I never see a female in pictures on Crown’s campus with pants or shorts. Only when they are playing a sport and wear a uniform. Even in pictures of females moving into dorms at crown are filled with skirts! That’s a hot sweaty informal day on any campus. Does PCC allow pants and shorts on females on campus? 

• Upvote 14

Well I'll be a cheese sandwich with the paper still on the cheese.  Good for them and hopefully not too much of a jolt.

My guess is they're majoring in looking for husbands, while going for degrees in Education so they can return to Maxhell to instruct their nieces and nephews.

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 12

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

ETA: Actually I'm probably wrong. According to their website, only bible studies are available online. So that's probably what they're studying. Which is... fine I guess but I'm struggling to see why Steve would agree to the cost and time away when there would be closer options. 

There are a few non-bible study classes offered online--English Lit, Psychology, and Sociology. I suspect last year there may have been more online offerings.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, TheJewAmongUs said:

Wasn't there a photo of Mary wearing pants while working on one of the brother's or Gigi's home somewhat recently? I know we've seen photos showing that Nathan's girls wear shorts and read secular books from the library within the past year.

We weren't sure. In the Jesse's moving day post, Chelsy, Melanie, and the ABC girls were clearly seen in pants. There was one pic of Mary where she was sitting on the floor behind a box and you could see something outlining her knees that could've been pants, but also could've been a knit skirt hugging her knees at a weird angle, and also one of Anna where it looked to a lot of people like she was in jeans and not a skirt, but those were both inconclusive.

• Upvote 5

This college is ACCREDITED.  I'm (almost) willing to forgive all their strict rules in return for that. It's regionally accredited: any credits they get will be transferable to any other college and their degrees will hold value in the real world. One of the Education streams is accepted by West Virginia for public school teachers and they suggest that the other might also be accepted by other states. And it's not just accredited, but they boast about the accreditation. This is a HUGE benefit for Anna and Mary.

For the Ministry/Nursing degree, students have to take the actual nursing component elsewhere, which shows a rather impressive amount of cooperation with secular or other biblical colleges.

If Anna and Mary started online, they had the opportunity to see if their skills were a fit before joining the wider college; the online offering is the college's bible certificate, but that includes all the first year courses for the degree programs, so they may be starting as sophomores -- saves them money on housing, for sure. Plus the college does have a Learning Support program, which is available to help anyone struggling as well as current students with GPAs. I think there's a very good chance that both of them will eventually graduate with respectable BAs.

There is no campus church; students are allowed to choose which local church to attend. Steve has, I'm sure, checked out which church he wants his girls to attend. But at least there's some degree of choice available, although I do note the list of "acceptable" churches is not available online and I'm sure it doesn't include evil churches with women preaching.

I'm not blind to the negatives, but this is a far better choice than some of the other options (Crown for example). It sets them much further ahead on the path to independent living and being able to support themselves. Plus, it opens up lots of opportunities for their nieces and nephews. Abby could be attending this college in five years.

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 9

New blog by Steve about Maddy's homecoming.  No mention of *anything else* going on at the Maxhouse. 😂

Edited by ClareDeLune
  • Upvote 10
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 5

1 hour ago, usmcmom said:

I always wonder about Sarah when something big happens to the younger kids. She practically raised them, so it must be an extra layer of emotion to see them leave home. I feel so bad for her if she is left at that house, unable to pursue a life of her own. 

Perhaps wishful thinking here, but I think Sarah is pursuing a life of her own. She's already raised a bunch of kids so even though she has been told she must aspire to motherhood, chances are she doesn't want that. If she did, there's no shortage of nieces and nephews in the neighborhood. She may have inherited Teri's depression, which is/was biochemical as much as it was situational. She may never have felt sexual attraction to another person. She may have hated the very thought of marriage but we will never know because she would never be permitted to say that out loud. 

Sarah used to be able to escape to Uriah when she wanted to be alone, ostensibly to write, but it's not as if the house was full of noisy activity, even when they were dusting the ceiling fans. Now she has a room to herself, a new car, and a dog and as much family time as she wants. That sounds like a pretty complete life to me.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 14

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Ok I just found PCC’s dress code and it’s strict as fuck. This ABC college must have a less strict code than PCC. 

https://www.pcci.edu/Handbook/ResponsibilitiesRights/ClothingandAppearance.aspx

Wow - yeah, a lot stricter than what I found for ABC. Strange that they allow shorts (albeit knee-length) for girls to walk around in but pants aren't allowed in the dorm lobbies. Reminds me of a discussion I read in a fundie discussion forum some years back. I forget what college this was (might have been PCC, or possibly BJU - but BJU now allows pants for girls!) Anyway, the basic idea of it was, if guys and girls were at sports practice, they might be wearing shorts - and for all of them, this would've been knee-length, loose shorts (spandex/booty shorts would be absolutely out of the question) or warmup pants. After practice, before going to the dining hall, the guys who were wearing shorts would have to put on long pants, because shorts for them were not allowed in the dining hall, but the girls who were wearing long warmups would have to take them off and only wear their shorts to dinner, because they were not allowed anywhere on campus in pants, and their athletic shorts counted as "culottes" (fundie skirt-substitute activewear) yet the shorts were the SAME EXACT SHORTS for guys or girls. Legalism is weird sometimes but that was one of the weirdest outcomes of legalism that I've seen.

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 4
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Bethy said:

Wow - yeah, a lot stricter than what I found for ABC. Strange that they allow shorts (albeit knee-length) for girls to walk around in but pants aren't allowed in the dorm lobbies. Reminds me of a discussion I read in a fundie discussion forum some years back. I forget what college this was (might have been PCC, or possibly BJU - but BJU now allows pants for girls!) Anyway, the basic idea of it was, if guys and girls were at sports practice, they might be wearing shorts - and for all of them, this would've been knee-length, loose shorts (spandex/booty shorts would be absolutely out of the question) or warmup pants. After practice, before going to the dining hall, the guys who were wearing shorts would have to put on long pants, because shorts for them were not allowed in the dining hall, but the girls who were wearing long warmups would have to take them off and only wear their shorts to dinner, because they were not allowed anywhere on campus in pants, and their athletic shorts counted as "culottes" (fundie skirt-substitute activewear) yet the shorts were the SAME EXACT SHORTS for guys or girls. Legalism is weird sometimes but that was one of the weirdest outcomes of legalism that I've seen.

That’s crazy. I found the ABC dress code and it is less strict than PCC and I’m guessing it’s less strict than Crown too. And just looking at pics on the ABC FB page, they don’t enforce the dress code strictly. Because it says loose fitting jeans on women are fine. But I saw plenty of tight jeans in pics. 

• Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, Tatar-tot said:

Is the school accredited?

Yes, it is. But, dang, does it have tons of micro-managey rules. I’m just hoping and praying that the students get to read *something* interesting, entertaining, and thought-provoking in their English classes.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

Just now, Hane said:

Yes, it is. But, dang, does it have tons of micro-managey rules. I’m just hoping and praying that the students get to read *something* interesting, entertaining, and thought-provoking in their English classes.

I’m betting they can’t enforce everything. Let’s hope they let the little stuff slide. I already spotted girls breaking the dress code on their FB page. 

The rules say you aren’t allowed to watch rated R or NC 17 but it says nothing about PG 13! Can you imagine the Max gals watching a PG 13 movie?! Oh my.

• Upvote 13

The young woman in the picture with them looks a bit like Anna 3. Could it be one of her sisters?

Another dropped jaw here, by the way. 

• Upvote 11

1 hour ago, Bethy said:

I'm wondering if Anna's 2011 "Why I'm Not Going To College" post will stick around or if it'll just melt away from the blog the way Chris and Joe's failed engagements did?

I saved them for posterity too.  I'd post all 10 screenshots but I don't know how to do spoilers.

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank You 2

I feel like this is going to be the “high school experience” these girls never got. There are social clubs, intramural sports, and formals. Things they missed out on because of their parents’ decisions. I hope they enjoy it. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

Did anyone have Maxwell daughters go to college and wear shorts on their FJ 2021 bingo card? 

This is the last thing I expected to happen. I’m in shock. 

Edited by formergothardite
  • Upvote 13
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 14
  • I Agree 4

On the page about school traditions, I found this. 

image.thumb.png.31bf0b9ab50bf8c14004c0fbf6be6170.png

Did Steve know he was sending his daughters to live among Christmas decorations?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 24

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Maxwell 50: Maxhell Has Frozen Over. Anna and Mary Are Off to College and Sarah Moves Out!
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic