IGNORED

Seewalds 46: Arugula, Rhododendrom, Milkweed, Dandelion, Foxglove, Dogwood, Nasturtium, Rhubarb...

nelliebelle1197

That’s true. Those recessive genes have a tendency to pop up. The red beards are not as unusual though. I have seen many even though the head hair colour is mostly (dark) brown with only sometimes very hard to detect reddish undertones. 
I definitely am a sucker for red hair but mostly with women. I know many struggle with it, but I always wished I had red hair. Dyed them for a couple of years and loved it so much, but the upkeep was too much. And blonde roots look too ridiculous to ignore them for some time. On my way back to my natural dirty, ashy blonde but I think I will always miss the red.

That said, I don’t see what Jessa is seeing. Fern doesn’t look reddish at all to me. But photos can be deceiving and you never know.

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 2

My great Granny (black hair) had 10 kids, 1 was ginger. My Granny (had jet black hair) had 11 kids, 2 were ginger (1 being my mother), Mother had 5 kids, only 1 is ginger, and that would be me! Of my 4 kids, not 1 is ginger!

Latest research says that the ginger gene comes from the Neanderthals, which is rather cool i think! 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

That said, I don’t see what Jessa is seeing. Fern doesn’t look reddish at all to me. But photos can be deceiving and you never know.

Jessa didn’t say that Fern is a ginger. Another poster upthread brought that possibility up.

• Upvote 2

I'm sure Audrey Roloff could make Fern a redhead with the right filter.

My brother has straight blonde hair and blue eyes. My sister has straight red hair with brown eyes. I have curly brown hair with green eyes. If my mom had followed in Meech's footsteps, I think we'd have a lot more variance in looks. Thankfully my mom said no to that one Gotthard talk she was invited to when we were little!

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6

On 10/11/2021 at 4:29 PM, Bad Wolf said:

We left our number of kids up to the Lord, roo. And the Lord said unto Bad Wolf, "Yea, verily, I have given unto you, many methods of birth control. Go forth and multiply as many as you can afford emotionally and financially. Amen." So we did, and had two wolf cubs. It all depends how you interpret scriptures.

THIS! I was born and raised Catholic but I could never understand why, if God had given man the intelligence to create birth control, we weren't supposed to use it? I feel that "all the children God gives us" is more for when you get pregnant even on birth control, then you should have that baby. However, after reading stories of child abuse, specifically Baby Brianna Lopez, I cannot reconcile my beliefs with forcing a woman to have a child she does not want.

• Upvote 16

16 hours ago, marmalade said:

I haven't seen any redheads on Dillon's side either, but there could be a rogue aunt or dead grandparent. I agree that the ginger gene came from him,  although there is a chance it came via Terry (Amy's dad).

red hair is recessive it has to run on both sides for someone to have it. it could be a hundred years ago but if you had an ancestor with red hair you could carry the gene. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, Honey Beach said:

THIS! I was born and raised Catholic but I could never understand why, if God had given man the intelligence to create birth control, we weren't supposed to use it? I feel that "all the children God gives us" is more for when you get pregnant even on birth control, then you should have that baby. However, after reading stories of child abuse, specifically Baby Brianna Lopez, I cannot reconcile my beliefs with forcing a woman to have a child she does not want.

As my mother said to the Catholic priest when she confessed to taking birth control after 2 kids in 16 months via the rhythm method. If the church will pay the bills, I'll have more!  LOL she said a couple Our Fathers & a Hail Mary!

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 5

My mom's a natural ginger but neither of my grandparents were. My sibling and I don't have red hair, neither do any of my sibling's 4 children. My future in-laws are both gingers, but fiance is not a ginger (only that ginger beard!). His sibling is a super-ginger! I find all this type of stuff fascinating. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, medimus said:

Ginger gene is recessive, and apparently a ginger beard is a sign that you have one copy! This BBC podcast about it is great (the whole series is fantastic):  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b070cxxy

Huh. Surprised not of my siblings or I ended up a natural redhead then (I'm a colored one!). My dad has a red beard and on my mom's side, my grandmother had 10 live children and they have black, brown, blonde. and red hair. All blue eyes. I get asked a lot at family reunions if my hair is natural and when I say no they always say, "Well, it could be, you know."

I’m a ginger and there seems to be one in every generation that I know of in my father’s side. Grandfather, uncle, me, niece. My daughter didn’t get red hair. My half sister is very fair and maybe naturally a bit strawberry blonde. 

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Huh. Surprised not of my siblings or I ended up a natural redhead then (I'm a colored one!). My dad has a red beard and on my mom's side, my grandmother had 10 live children and they have black, brown, blonde. and red hair. All blue eyes. I get asked a lot at family reunions if my hair is natural and when I say no they always say, "Well, it could be, you know."

sounds like maybe your mother didn't get a copy of the gene. But it could also be luck of the draw, if both parents did have a recessive red-haired gene, each child would have a 25% chance of getting both genes and being red-haired themselves.

Some family friends (a Jewish/Irish couple, both brown-haired themselves) always used to mock the husband's mum for her brilliant red hair, clearly from a bottle but which she insisted was her natural colour. When the couple went on to have kids, both were glorious redheads just like Grandma.

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 7

I love red hair. I was so jealous my sister and father were redheads. I dyed my hair red for a while but the maintenance is a bitch. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

Does anyone know what it means if your family has an orange/red tint to their brown hair. My family is either bleach white polish blonds or light brunette where when the sun hits the hair, it shines orange. I just died my hair dark brown because I actually don't like the sun making me a pseudo-redhead, lol.

34 minutes ago, viii said:

I love red hair. I was so jealous my sister and father were redheads. I dyed my hair red for a while but the maintenance is a bitch. 

It is and it damages your hair like crazy. I dyed my hair red last year and ended up back to brown and cutting my hair pretty short (very short bob) in February because my hair was pretty damaged after years of having waist length beautiful curly brown hair. At least it has grown a bit (shoulder length).

28 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

It is and it damages your hair like crazy. I dyed my hair red last year and ended up back to brown and cutting my hair pretty short (very short bob) in February because my hair was pretty damaged after years of having waist length beautiful curly brown hair. At least it has grown a bit (shoulder length).

I'm getting lots of grey curly hair so I have to dye my hair anyway. So red it is. Luckily, as long as I'm not changing the level of my hair, just the shade from mousy blah to red, I can use a Level 10 developer and a repairing treatment and my hair does not sustain much damage. Going blue for my cruise, though, I imagine it will sustain quite a hit.

• Upvote 6

Jesse just posted a story on instagram and I thought Ben was dressed for halloween. 🤷‍♀️ No, I think it's just the look he was going for. It looks vaguely Amish? They are celebrating their anniversary at a coffee/gift shop.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 3

Did you see Jessa's new video? My takeaways were: 

1.: She loves plants just as much as me ❤️

2.: Her kids just keep getting more adorable, I don't know how that's even possible

3.: It looks like they are getting ready to move house! That is great news, I hope they get something with at least 3 - 4 bedrooms, so there are not too many kids per room 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

Curious if another sibling gets Jessa and Ben's house. And curious about their new place. Hopefully they are able to get a 4 bedroom (no idea how they would afford it, maybe Jessa's youtubing is earning well), if Jessa plans on a baby every other year, that space would come in handy. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SorenaJ said:

Curious if another sibling gets Jessa and Ben's house

Looks like a nice starter home for Jeremiah and Hannah.

• Upvote 6

29 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I would never want to live in a house where Josh started his married life. 🤢

I’ve completely blocked that out.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic