IGNORED

Seewalds 46: Arugula, Rhododendrom, Milkweed, Dandelion, Foxglove, Dogwood, Nasturtium, Rhubarb...

nelliebelle1197

In addition to a laundry chute every house should have a laundry elevator to get the clothes back upstairs. Well that or a teenage or a husband who will carry the stuff. 
I physically can’t carry the clothes back up the stairs laundry isn’t one of my ‘jurisdictions’. 😞 😀

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 5

I put almost everything in my dryer. I am spoiled and I will never hang everything out to dry. I do hang a few things though. The stuff that might shrink or tells you not to put it in the dryer. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

In addition to a laundry chute every house should have a laundry elevator to get the clothes back upstairs. Well that or a teenage or a husband who will carry the stuff. 
I physically can’t carry the clothes back up the stairs laundry isn’t one of my ‘jurisdictions’. 😞 😀

When I had a cardiac health issue several years ago, I literally could not carry the basket back upstairs. We ended up enclosing a balcony which connected to a bedroom and made an upstairs laundry room. It connects this spare bedroom to a bathroom too. Best decision we ever made!

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

On 1/13/2022 at 6:26 PM, Sops2 said:

Looks like Ben works one day a week.

The website also says that there are no upcoming events.

How long has he been in this post?- he should  have made a bit of a mark by now. The only reason we know he is actually in a job there is that there's a podcast of a sermon to listen to online

20220113_182004.jpg

The rest of time is probably spent on visits,researching and writing sermons, evangelising, counselling folks, running other ministry programmes.

It is my understanding that the church needs some more (younger) members.  Ben is probably putting in time to drum that up.

On 1/12/2022 at 11:57 PM, Pecansforeveryone said:

Someone confirmed earlier this is the church Ben preaches on an at least a semi-regular basis. I am not sure how old the senior pastor is but Ben looks to be on track to eventually be senior pastor there. 

It would probably make sense as I heard somewhere that a lot of their members are elderly and they need fresh blood so to speak. In other words, younger members.  Ben would be the ideal candidate for that.  The only problem is that if he tries to bring in funky new ideas, he might find some resistance amongst the oldest members.  Stories like those are a dime a dozen.

Jessa will also have to be all nice and sweety pie too as if they do the tithe thing, she will be under a lot of scrutiny and if the members can't stand the pastor's wife,  then it is bye bye.  I'm sure she will be 

That is the reason I could never be a Pastors wife. I hate scrutiny.  If I am feeling crappy, then the last thing I want to do is put on a colgate smile and pretend that everything is cool.  I saw that a lot at my old church when the Pastor's wife would show up sick and look it but had to sit there and smile. That is too much.

• Upvote 8

12 minutes ago, Bridgecape said:

The rest of time is probably spent on visits,researching and writing sermons, evangelising, counselling folks, running other ministry programmes.

It is my understanding that the church needs some more (younger) members.  Ben is probably putting in time to drum that up.

It would probably make sense as I heard somewhere that a lot of their members are elderly and they need fresh blood so to speak. In other words, younger members.  Ben would be the ideal candidate for that.  The only problem is that if he tries to bring in funky new ideas, he might find some resistance amongst the oldest members.  Stories like those are a dime a dozen.

Jessa will also have to be all nice and sweety pie too as if they do the tithe thing, she will be under a lot of scrutiny and if the members can't stand the pastor's wife,  then it is bye bye.  I'm sure she will be 

That is the reason I could never be a Pastors wife. I hate scrutiny.  If I am feeling crappy, then the last thing I want to do is put on a colgate smile and pretend that everything is cool.  I saw that a lot at my old church when the Pastor's wife would show up sick and look it but had to sit there and smile. That is too much.

If that is their situation it would be interesting to see how 100 + mostly elderly long term parishioners weigh out against 2 million + social media followers, who can probably pull in lots of local young families. Jessa and keeping sweet don’t seem to go together terribly well. But she certainly has plenty of experience smiling for an audience.
Interestingly, Jinger seems to have the better fit, personality wise, for being endlessly nice  and demure with a stream of judgy old ladies, while Jessa has the younger, more confidant, messy-house-don’t care- relaxed vibe that might go with a bigger, younger, church.

They probably don’t want to switch husbands though lol.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

I moved to a small 2 bedroom one floor house - it is so nice to not carry laundry up and down stairs anymore!   

My grandparents had a laundry shoot (that went right down by her wringer washer)  and yes, we dropped Everything down that hole. probably would have put our youngest brother down it if we weren't semi supervised. Believe me, he deserved it.   

Edited by SweetLaurel
punctuation
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

Our washer and dryer are on the ground floor. I looked at other houses in our development on Zillow.  Some had the washer up on the top floor. At the time I wished we had them up stairs as well, aaaaaaand then the bottom of the old washer literally fell out and projectile vomited soapy water all over the entire room. For all the mess and all expense it took to clean it up, I no longer want a washer on the top floor. Can you imagine all that water gushing down two flights of stairs?

• Upvote 2

The house I live in until I was 10 had a laundry chute, but we never used it because laundry would have landed in my dad's work room rather than the laundry room in the basement. The house also had a little door next to the back door for milk bottle delivery, although the door on the outside of the house had been sealed shut after a series of break-ins some years earlier. 

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

We have a laundry chute in our house I’ve purposely hidden from my 9 and 6 year old. Because I don’t want them throwing shit down it all the time just for kicks. I’m a mean mommy. They will be so mad when they eventually find it. 

My aunt had one in her house. My sister and I had the best time throwing things down it, running to the basement to fetch them, and then throwing them down again. Kept us occupied for hours. My grandparents across the street from my aunt had a small, square hole in the wall with a door on either side for milk delivery. That was fun too. We were easily entertained. 😛

I would love a main floor laundry. Ours is in the basement, and I hate hauling laundry up and down. I’m lazy like that. The only time I saw a washer/dryer in a garage/outside the house was in the movie Halloween. 10/10 did not recommend the practice for me. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Mrs. Kravitz said:

The house I live in until I was 10 had a laundry chute, but we never used it because laundry would have landed in my dad's work room rather than the laundry room in the basement. The house also had a little door next to the back door for milk bottle delivery, although the door on the outside of the house had been sealed shut after a series of break-ins some years earlier. 

That milk door sounds really cool!

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, AnywhereButHere said:

My aunt had one in her house. My sister and I had the best time throwing things down it, running to the basement to fetch them, and then throwing them down again. Kept us occupied for hours. My grandparents across the street from my aunt had a small, square hole in the wall with a door on either side for milk delivery. That was fun too. We were easily entertained. 😛

I would love a main floor laundry. Ours is in the basement, and I hate hauling laundry up and down. I’m lazy like that. The only time I saw a washer/dryer in a garage/outside the house was in the movie Halloween. 10/10 did not recommend the practice for me. 

We have a coal door in our basement near the furnace. I bet a milk door is cute. 

• Upvote 1

Our very small house in the southwest had a washing machine in the teeny tiny kitchen.  There was a back door in the kitchen that went out to my line. I dried things outdoors year-round. 

We lived there while cloth diapering the first two kids and my backyard often looked like a sea of little white flags waving in the wind. 

My large comforter couldn’t fit in my washer, so I took it to the laundromat and used their washer and dryer. 

On the very rare week we didn’t have sunshine and wind I would set up the drying rack in the bathtub and turn on the space heater and turn that tiny bathroom into a sauna. 

Our church back then had a small-ish  rectory  (two bedrooms, one bathroom but a large dining room, good sized kitchen, and a small living room) and then hired a pastor with four children. The church paid to put on an addition that included a family room with fireplace, master suite, plus a small room that could either be a nursery or office.

The thought was that it was an investment in the church. We had enough licensed folks in the church to make the addition very inexpensive. 

The house wasn’t on the church grounds but was about two blocks away. It had been left to the church by a woman who had passed away without heirs. 

Our church in the Midwest purchased several houses adjacent to the church. They were occupied by our youth minister, caretaker/custodian, and our college intern.

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, SweetLaurel said:My grandparents had a laundry shoot (that went right down by her wringer washer)  and yes, we dropped Everything down that hole. probably would have put our youngest brother down it if we weren't semi supervised. Believe me, he deserved it.   

My mom grew up in a house with a laundry chute and she and her siblings DID put their little brother down it. They got in massive trouble bad  he cried because his mom wouldn’t let him do it again!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 13

The house I grew up in had a laundry shoot and my brother and I used it as a walkie talkie system to talk to each other on different floors. We had a great time with it

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

On 1/12/2022 at 1:50 AM, indianabones said:

I know people on Reddit were saying that but no one linked to any documentation (though that was probably because showing addresses is against their sub policies...)

If it's true, then I'm bewildered at Jessa and Ben's logic. Why would you ever invest that much of your money into remodeling a property that doesn't belong to you?

Yeah, I always try to verify anything on Reddit because there is a lot of conclusion jumping and bandwagoning over there. They could have easily purchased this from the church if it is indeed church property. It take a while for properly transfers to show up in regular times and even longer with covid.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
double posting within - fixed formatting
  • Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Gottahavedembabies said:

The house I grew up in had a laundry shoot and my brother and I used it as a walkie talkie system to talk to each other on different floors. We had a great time with it

We did the same. It was too narrow to put much down it, just fit in between the studs. We used to have to unjam it.

but sometimes if you heard someone yelling from the basement for you- you could go to the chute and talk back and forth.

1 hour ago, Meggo said:

We did the same. It was too narrow to put much down it, just fit in between the studs. We used to have to unjam it.

but sometimes if you heard someone yelling from the basement for you- you could go to the chute and talk back and forth.

I had forgotten about that. My cousins and I could hear each other so well through their laundry chute. You didn’t even have to talk that loud. 

22 hours ago, Bridgecape said:

I'm with you, I do not have the temperament for that kind of fishbowl life.

Won't she be judged by her online behavior as well?  I'm not a fan of keeping sweet, but is the fact that she's pretty snarky online hurt her reputation as well?

• Upvote 1

Thanks to her parents, Jessa grew up in a fishbowl and Ben happily hitched his wagon to the Duggar circus. She clearly sees her future is in monetising her social media and has shown no desire for privacy like eg Josiah. Maybe she sees being a pastors wife as an attractive role- we know they are very weird about men being employed other than their own business or pastor, he works from home and I’m sure they will build in time for trips, videos about family life and all the other things they like to do.

Who knows, she may even get to grift the odd gift card along the way?
I have to say it would be a cold day in hell before I sought Ben’s (or indeed Jessa’s) counsel on anything.

• Upvote 13

On 1/14/2022 at 4:48 PM, OHFL2009 said:

In our last house, our dryer was on the first floor, against an exterior wall, so it vented right out the wall behind it. The vent opening on the outside was only about a foot off the ground. One night I tried to turn on the dryer and it made an awful thumping noise and then shut off. My husband took it apart to find a 5 foot rat snake wrapped in the motor fan. The builder had forgotten to install the exterior vent cover flap. That was a fun night. 

In our case, it was a possum, and it died in the vent pipe after it fell down and couldn't crawl back up. And then my husband unknowingly started a heated dry cycle and left the house. I will never forget that stench!

Moral of the story: clean the external entrance to your dryer vent regularly. If lint builds up and props the vent flap open, wildlife can get in.

• Upvote 4
  • Disgust 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 2

At one time, didn’t JB own a house on church property? Or did he own property next to the church and the church bought the property from JB? Is there some financial advantage to owning/buying/selling a home or property associated with or to a church? Is this another Duggar adjacent scheme? I do not trust any of these people where money or financial transactions are involved!

• Upvote 1

I believe it was the house was sold to the church (and I want to say it was Cross Church) when they were expanding.  Joe met up with Kendra and her family when they were courting on the site of the house.

• I Agree 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:29 AM, Idlewild said:

Thanks to her parents, Jessa grew up in a fishbowl and Ben happily hitched his wagon to the Duggar circus. She clearly sees her future is in monetising her social media and has shown no desire for privacy like eg Josiah. Maybe she sees being a pastors wife as an attractive role- we know they are very weird about men being employed other than their own business or pastor, he works from home and I’m sure they will build in time for trips, videos about family life and all the other things they like to do.

Who knows, she may even get to grift the odd gift card along the way?
I have to say it would be a cold day in hell before I sought Ben’s (or indeed Jessa’s) counsel on anything.

So she’s ok with losing her privacy, yet she can not take one iota of criticism without snarking back. I’d say she needs to rethink that logic (truly lack there of or she’s completing lacking in self awareness).

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

So she’s ok with losing her privacy, yet she can not take one iota of criticism without snarking back. I’d say she needs to rethink that logic (truly lack there of or she’s completing lacking in self awareness).

But I don’t see how there is a contradiction? If you decide you’re going to put your life out there for the public, you will sometimes get some snarky /critical comments, you might also snark /criticize right back.  I don’t see why you wouldn’t? 
Sometimes the snark DOES go over the top - like with attacks on Lauren after her miscarriage. But if it’s just someone bitching on-line about Jessa’s housekeeping, and her response is a basic “shrug and f* u if you don’t like it” - how is that an issue? 

• Upvote 10

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic