IGNORED

Seewalds 46: Arugula, Rhododendrom, Milkweed, Dandelion, Foxglove, Dogwood, Nasturtium, Rhubarb...

nelliebelle1197

Someone confirmed earlier this is the church Ben preaches on an at least a semi-regular basis. I am not sure how old the senior pastor is but Ben looks to be on track to eventually be senior pastor there. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

20 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Interesting. I’m on the west coast and the majority of houses that I’ve lived in had the washer/dryer hook-ups in the garage, if there was a garage. A couple of places have had a washer /dryer in a closet somewhere, one had a stackable on an enclosed porch, several have had nothing. No actual indoor  “laundry rooms” that I can recall. Sounds really useful though! 

No laundry room in my childhood home. Usually laundry is in the basement or a closet.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Someone confirmed earlier this is the church Ben preaches on an at least a semi-regular basis. I am not sure how old the senior pastor is but Ben looks to be on track to eventually be senior pastor there. 

Ah ok that makes a lot more sense then. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

No laundry room in my childhood home. Usually laundry is in the basement or a closet.

Absolutely swooning over the thought of a real basement. Those aren’t a thing where I live. Would love the extra space! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

Absolutely swooning over the thought of a real basement. Those aren’t a thing where I live. Would love the extra space! 

My point was that things weren't that fancy where I grew up. Basements are extra space, but prone to flooding. 

I never heard of washer/dryers in a garage. When I was a child, our very old remodeled house had them behind sliding closet doors in the kitchen, and there was a door to the garage nearby. My mom kept the laundry to be washed in a big moving barrel just on the other side of that door in the garage, and I think that would have been considered pretty weird to do. Most anywhere else I've lived, the laundry room was next to the kitchen, as it is in my apartment. I keep a set of shelves in there to use as a pantry. But in one house I lived, it was connected to a bathroom, which was pretty useful.

If you are younger than me, you might not have seen a moving barrel. I haven't seen one in decades. I'd nearly forgotten they existed until this mention of garage laundry reminded me.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I would hate living right there! Parishioners will be bothering them all the time! 

Aren't pastors to be willingly available to their parishioners at all times? Jessa will have a difficult time staying sweet though.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Aren't pastors to be willingly available to their parishioners at all times? Jessa will have a difficult time staying sweet though.

I can see a request going out to Duggar Construction to ‘build the wall’ if Jessa is disturbed too often by parishioners. 

• Haha 8

I'd give blood to have a separate laundry room! Typical old style house in UK, my washing machine and tumble dryer are in my kitchen

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

1 hour ago, IsmeWeatherwax said:

I'd give blood to have a separate laundry room! Typical old style house in UK, my washing machine and tumble dryer are in my kitchen

yes, this is my dream! Ours is in our hall, in the space under the stairs - we got it plumbed in there as the kitchen is miniscule and we wanted a dishwasher. Goodness knows what the last people did.

When we extend our kitchen I'm insisting on a separate utility room. It would be a total game changer. And maybe we could have a drier too. I've seen posts on here reminiscing about hanging out the washing at Grandma's house like she did in the old country and I'm like, yep, I am the old country, me and my mossy colonial washing line and my radiator rotation system. I'm sure Americans still hang washing on the line, no?

• Upvote 4

My washer and dryer are in my basement. My house was built in 48 and a basement laundry is very typical in old houses. I would prefer it on the first floor but I can deal with it. There’s no room for it on the first floor anyway. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I will give the Duggars one round of applause, as aside from Jinger , none of the Duggars (née) appear to be picky. I would have never purchased a house on church property, or lived in a 2 BR home with 4 kids. That being said, I’m really wondering if the Duggars agreed to fix it up for the church in exchange for free rent for a fixed amount of time?

Quoting myself to clarify…I would have never HAD 4 kids if all we could afford was a 2 bedroom house. Ive mentioned before that I am a bit Josie and Alyssa in that noise, clutter and overcrowding really bother me.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

8 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Not if you ask ZZ Anderson. She wants the perks that come with being a pastor’s wife, but the congregation can stay out of her business and her house. 

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Aren't pastors to be willingly available to their parishioners at all times?

I know a few ministers from various Christian denominations here in the UK and they are told to be very careful about boundaries. If meetings with parishioners can't be held at the church in the parish office, it is encouraged to have a separate room in the house that is reserved for such meetings.

This is to ensure clear boundaries between work and home, and also to ensure confidentiality for the matters discussed.

It's not always possible, of course, especially given London house prices, but especially if the house is owned by the parish, it will have been bought with an eye to at least attempting to provide that separation.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, Mama Mia said:

I live in a converted basement. If I posted pictures, you'd think it was a higher-end 1 bedroom apartment. The only thing I don't like is the location of my bathroom...but, its where the available plumbing was and it was supposed to be an en-suite bath but the code folks said we couldn't put sliding glass doors under the deck (found out too late that was bullshit). So, it's in a weird place right off my living room. I even have a laundry room! Its huge too, about 900 square feet. I don't even use but maybe half the space. 

However, there is no way I'd live here with anyone else. Its a wide open floor plan so there's no way to get away from somebody else. 

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, FluffySnowball said:

Not if you ask ZZ Anderson. She wants the perks that come with being a pastor’s wife, but the congregation can stay out of her business and her house. 

Oh god remember the list! That was horrid. She basically told everyone, I’m busy so don’t expect me to text you back or be able to give you any personal attention. But I love gift cards!

• Upvote 7
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Not that josh's mom said:

Yeah, I’m not sure they thought this one through. Anytime there is an event at the church, especially weekly worship, someone’s going to end up at their house with little to no notice. Then you have people that are going to stop by for whatever reason. She’s going to have to step up her domestic skill game.

• Upvote 5

On 1/12/2022 at 1:50 AM, indianabones said:

I know people on Reddit were saying that but no one linked to any documentation (though that was probably because showing addresses is against their sub policies...)

If it's true, then I'm bewildered at Jessa and Ben's logic. Why would you ever invest that much of your money into remodeling a property that doesn't belong to you?

Total speculation, also seen on reddit, but could be a rent to own which would have a separate contract not in the public domain.  Otherwise maybe the church is paying for the remodel, they are organizing it and doing the work so they can live there.  

Learned over there today it used to be that Bethany adoption agency tied to the evil Devos family....I'm not a total believer in this, but I'm superstitious enough about bad energy I'd rather live in the Amityville house.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Total speculation, also seen on reddit, but could be a rent to own which would have a separate contract not in the public domain.  Otherwise maybe the church is paying for the remodel, they are organizing it and doing the work so they can live there.  

Learned over there today it used to be that Bethany adoption agency tied to the evil Devos family....I'm not a total believer in this, but I'm superstitious enough about bad energy I'd rather live in the Amityville house.

Damn can these people get any more entwined with other rather evil families?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

yes, this is my dream! Ours is in our hall, in the space under the stairs - we got it plumbed in there as the kitchen is miniscule and we wanted a dishwasher. Goodness knows what the last people did.

When we extend our kitchen I'm insisting on a separate utility room. It would be a total game changer. And maybe we could have a drier too. I've seen posts on here reminiscing about hanging out the washing at Grandma's house like she did in the old country and I'm like, yep, I am the old country, me and my mossy colonial washing line and my radiator rotation system. I'm sure Americans still hang washing on the line, no?

I dream about moving our laundry stuff. Our old house was a front/back split. So you came in the door and went up 7 stairs to the kitchen, living room, bedrooms, bathroom. Or you went DOWN 7 stairs to what was basically just a finished living room type area with a bathroom. And our separate laundry room. It wasn't fancy at all - but it was a nice big space for sorting laundry, folding etc. And the best part was - it was "away" and behind a closed door. 
Current house has a main floor laundry - which I will admit - is lovely. But it in the little hall way between the kitchen and the garage and is literally only as long as a washer and dryer and only about 7 feet across. And if you put a laundry basket on the floor - you'll never get in from the garage. So there is no good sorting place, There is a closet across from the washer dryer - but it's also the ONLY coat closet on the floor - so is always jammed with coats and boots and mittens etc - so there is no way you can sort there. 

I dream of making that more of a cubby/bench/hook situation since no one in my family understand what hangers are actually FOR.... but I haven't done it yet.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

14 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

I never heard of washer/dryers in a garage.

They’re in the garage in the house where I grew up in Florida, which was built in the late 1960s. When Nurie and Nathan [Jill Rodrigues’ daughter and her husband, Anna Duggar’s brother, for those who don’t follow the Rods] bought a house in Florida, we had this same conversation, and concluded that it was common in warmer climates in the past. (The pipes would freeze if you tried it up north.)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

Yeah, I’m not sure they thought this one through. Anytime there is an event at the church, especially weekly worship, someone’s going to end up at their house with little to no notice. Then you have people that are going to stop by for whatever reason. She’s going to have to step up her domestic skill game.

I could see pluses and minuses to being right on the property like that. The minuses are obvious - people hearing your business, stopping in whenever, being overflow for every church hanger-on. Imagine you drop your paddle of kids off at grandma’s for an afternoon, finally having very some extra special alone time with your husband— and some church lady is tapping at the door or peering in the window. No thank you. 

There would be advantages though of course, no work commute, lots more family involvement for both parents. Probably overall better work/life balance. Especially as pastors wives seem to have a large share of duties as well? Like a team job? 

I could see Jessa managing the boundaries part better than Jinger, I don’t think she cares if her house is a mess, or the kids aren’t all done up, and wouldn’t be afraid to just say no to visitors, or give times she is/isn’t available. I’d think Jinger, as a Pastors wife will be more likely to passively give in to demands, and stress if everything isn’t picture perfect.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

People much prefer it it the house in the Midwest. The garage gets so cold in the winter it’s a pain. 

Common in older houses in the New Orleans area.  Our house was built in the 60's.  Since we have few freezes, just throwing a blanket over the washer and making sure it hangs down the back to keep the hoses protected works.

15 minutes ago, Mama Mia said:

people hearing your business

They do have walls, right?  If they don't shout their business in the front yard that part should be okay.

This whole thing reminds me of Zsu and how she didn't even want PP's parishioners to live in her neighborhood, can you imagine Zsu trying to keep her shit together with a church full of Gladys Kravitzes on the property?

• Haha 7

6 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

They do have walls, right?  If they don't shout their business in the front yard that part should be okay.

This whole thing reminds me of Zsu and how she didn't even want PP's parishioners to live in her neighborhood, can you imagine Zsu trying to keep her shit together with a church full of Gladys Kravitzes on the property?

It makes me wonder if Zoo knows how fucking unhinged so many of the PP humpers are. I’m a very private person so I would never marry anyone in the spotlight. Not a celebrity, politician, or preacher. I’m a grouchy hermit who likes privacy. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6
  • Love 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic