IGNORED

Seewalds 46: Arugula, Rhododendrom, Milkweed, Dandelion, Foxglove, Dogwood, Nasturtium, Rhubarb...

nelliebelle1197

Can we share screenshots and links when we are referencing new material please so everyone doesn’t have to go searching? 🙏🏼

*ducks* 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

On 12/23/2021 at 11:01 AM, kmachete14 said:

Speculation redacted

I think she just looks like a cross between Jessa and Jinger. Jinger had a very similar distinctive facial structure when she was little. 

(Though, I hope all of the Duggar parents are taking their minor children to actual doctors regularly, regardless.)

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
speculation redacted
  • Upvote 9

This is the second time someone has commented on a Duggar looking like they have a genetic condition based on looks in the past couple of days. 

I think it can be dangerous to try and diagnose people on the internet based on looks. The Duggars have eyes that remind me of eyes that run in my family so maybe that’s what I find rather bothersome. All families have distinctive features. People just need to trust actual pediatricians to pick up on any genetic abnormalities and not bother making guesses based on looks. 

Confession: 

There was a fundie who had a baby and I thought the baby looked like he had Down syndrome based on facial features. I didn’t say a word. I kept my suspicion completely to myself. Eventually she announced that her baby had Down syndrome when he was about a month old. I think it’s human nature to have suspicions like that. But it’s best to keep it to yourself. 

• Upvote 28
  • I Agree 9
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

On 12/19/2021 at 4:57 PM, FleeJanaFree said:

Omg thank you, this was by far the most entertaining AMA from the josh fallout. 

I just read a summary article about this.  

*raises hand*  I have a question!  Why was there a puddle of pee to sit on?  No one cleaned it up?  Or, it just happened and Jessa quickly got an idea and went for it.  

I'd rather stay in my current frumper, tyvm. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is the second time someone has commented on a Duggar looking like they have a genetic condition based on looks in the past couple of days. 

I think it can be dangerous to try and diagnose people on the internet based on looks. The Duggars have eyes that remind me of eyes that run in my family so maybe that’s what I find rather bothersome. All families have distinctive features. People just need to trust actual pediatricians to pick up on any genetic abnormalities and not bother making guesses based on looks. 

Confession: 

There was a fundie who had a baby and I thought the baby looked like he had Down syndrome based on facial features. I didn’t say a word. I kept my suspicion completely to myself. Eventually she announced that her baby had Down syndrome when he was about a month old. I think it’s human nature to have suspicions like that. But it’s best to keep it to yourself. 

Based on my own education and practice I have voiced a concern about a fundie child here, and I was appropriately disciplined. A few months later the parents of said child confirmed the diagnosis and that the child was receiving medical therapy. I was happy that the child was getting the appropriate treatment.

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1

Lol the Seewald Christmas video got recommended to me and I’m watching it. It’s actually pretty cute. Just on that one video I’d think they weren’t far from Jill level if I didn’t know Ben had just recently posted some anti-LGBT crap.

I did notice this: Duggars on TV- “oh we don’t really watch tv much.” Jessa - “the snoopy part is my fave because we always watched the peanuts Christmas cartoon when I was a kid!”

Also the kids knew the grinch and Peppa Pig on sight as well. They seemed, in that video, to be just a regular Christian family. Hope they, or at least the children, keep slowly oozing that direction. I don’t expect much, though. 

• Upvote 12

10 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

Lol the Seewald Christmas video got recommended to me and I’m watching it. It’s actually pretty cute. Just on that one video I’d think they weren’t far from Jill level if I didn’t know Ben had just recently posted some anti-LGBT crap.

I did notice this: Duggars on TV- “oh we don’t really watch tv much.” Jessa - “the snoopy part is my fave because we always watched the peanuts Christmas cartoon when I was a kid!”

Also the kids knew the grinch and Peppa Pig on sight as well. They seemed, in that video, to be just a regular Christian family. Hope they, or at least the children, keep slowly oozing that direction. I don’t expect much, though. 

I think most fundies don’t shun tv any longer because tv and the internet overlap so heavily. Back when Gothard was big, it was pretty easy to say no tv. All you did was not get cable. Easy peasy. But all fundies have the internet. And the internet is basically, tv, movies, and internet all in one. So staying away from tv would be almost impossible for most families if they use the internet and computers for schooling. 

• Upvote 24

16 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I think children are a lot less phased by stuff like that than adults. Just like fairy tales (the originals mind you) or some other folk stories. Pretty brutal. But we loved them, had no trouble sleeping and grew up fine. I sometimes look at books from my childhood and think the illustrations are actually pretty dark and/or overly artsy for children, my child still adores them and loves the books.

I agree I loved Roald Dahl books as a little kid James and the giant peach was one of my very favourites. I was so excited to get the book set for my daughter, I read her the Twits and we laughed at it. I was getting bit icked out but kept going, We started matilda and I was not liking it and didn't continue it with my daughter. I finished it on my own and was majorly triggered by the story Miss Honey told about Trunchbowl, effectively trying to drown her as punishment. I re read James and the Giant peach and was horrified and sickened by the complete violence against James it in and found it super triggering. I never noticed this as a child *(maybe because at this point violence had not entered my life). I do not understand the praise Roald gets, his writing of the abuse of children is so graphic. Where did he get that from? I tossed all the books in the bin f50 bucks blown and had a childhood memory dashed...
Speaking of triggering those tiktoks where the kids swear at their mother to see the father's reaction? yeah can't watch those either.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

Redacted speculation

I think Ivy looks like Jessa when she was little- as seen in pictures she’s shown

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
redacted speculation
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 12/23/2021 at 5:04 PM, AussieKrissy said:

I agree I loved Roald Dahl books as a little kid James and the giant peach was one of my very favourites

It's been a long time since I read this, but weren't his aunts really mean and abusive towards him?

• I Agree 1

9 hours ago, JillRodsEyeliner said:

It's been a long time since I read this, but weren't his aunts really mean and abusive towards him?

James’ aunts in the book were yes. Dahl wasn’t raised by his aunts though his father and sister died within weeks of each other when he was 7 and he was hazed/bullied at boarding school 

• Sad 6

On 12/22/2021 at 11:36 PM, just_ordinary said:

I think children are a lot less phased by stuff like that than adults. Just like fairy tales (the originals mind you) or some other folk stories. Pretty brutal. But we loved them, had no trouble sleeping and grew up fine. I sometimes look at books from my childhood and think the illustrations are actually pretty dark and/or overly artsy for children, my child still adores them and loves the books.

I totally agree. And think of the songs some of us grew up with. Pop Goes the Weasel, anyone?

ETA: I just googled the lyrics, and apparently there are very different versions out there. I grew up with this one:  "All around the cobblers bench, the monkey chased the weasel. The monkey thought twas all a joke, POP! goes the weasel."

Poor weasel. Never considered it as a child.

Edited by livinginthelight
  • Upvote 1

On 12/23/2021 at 6:29 AM, Meggo said:

Anywho - watching HIM (aged 5) explain the Easter story is pretty funny. "Jesus was out to dinner with his friends? And one of them called the police on him? And they beat him up and put him on the cross and he died. Like this (holds out arms, cocks head to the side, eyes closed, tongue out) and then three days later he came back to life...... Like a zombie." 

I filmed it and then said "Okay - but that's NOT the story you should tell Grandma..." 

I had a crap Christmas. You just saved it. Thank you. 😆

We Catholic kids were tough.  Some of those Sacred Heart statues were pretty realistic.  At Grandma’s, she had one of each in the bedroom, and the nightlight she kindly kept on for me insured that I saw them both every time I opened my eyes  

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, livinginthelight said:

I totally agree. And think of the songs some of us grew up with. Pop Goes the Weasel, anyone?

ETA: I just googled the lyrics, and apparently there are very different versions out there. I grew up with this one:  "All around the cobblers bench, the monkey chased the weasel. The monkey thought twas all a joke, POP! goes the weasel."

For real. My kid and I were remarking how sweet it was that her two tween kids were singing Deck the Halls together. Until they came in and sang us their kid version they got from friends or YouTube or wherever kids get songs —-it was not sweet, and involved a lot of threats of violence towards Santa and houses on fire. But at least they were getting along lol. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, HoneyBunny said:

I had a crap Christmas. You just saved it. Thank you. 😆

We Catholic kids were tough.  Some of those Sacred Heart statues were pretty realistic.  At Grandma’s, she had one of each in the bedroom, and the nightlight she kindly kept on for me insured that I saw them both every time I opened my eyes  

Glad I could help!! In Grandmas ongoing religious instruction (Operation Save the kid soul from his “heathen” parents) she got him a book called “Good Night Jesus”- all about praying to him.

I am not making fun of anyone’s faith but my mom knows the only way to get religion into my house (after giving my then fiancé a book called “so you want to marry a Catholic”) is to give the kiddo a book about it. He is 8 and has THREE on the story of Christmas..

And I just wish mom would respect OUR choice but alas- no

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I am not making fun of anyone’s faith but my mom knows the only way to get religion into my house (after giving my then fiancé a book called “so you want to marry a Catholic”) is to give the kiddo a book about it. He is 8 and has THREE on the story of Christmas.

My partner got the "So you Want to Marry a Catholic" book too. It's still good for a laugh almost 25 years later.

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, cacophony_grey said:

My partner got the "So you Want to Marry a Catholic" book too. It's still good for a laugh almost 25 years later.

We both just kind of looked at her. I hadn’t been in a church aside from weddings and funerals in a decade at that point. But whatever..

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

I grew up with the "all around the mulberry bush" version, instead of the cobbler's bench version. I always thought it was about spinning - mulberry bush means silk (silkworms only eat mulberry leaves), and the weasel (and the pop) is a spinner's weasel that goes round and round to measure out a skein of yarn. Apparently there are a zillion versions out there, though!

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2

Don’t want moderators to blast me so I’m going to NOT speculate and just state my OPINION: I think Ivy has a very prominent forehead and brow. Google if you are curious. And I hope Jessa takes her children to doctor appointments. 

Good thing the mods aren't smart enough to crack this complex code, practically the Voynich manuscript.  :)

Please do not speculate about potential diagnosis for minors, even with a **wink wink, nudge nudge**

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 1

On 12/23/2021 at 1:02 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

If you can remember where the other one was please report it, thanks.

Everyone, when you see someone speculating on a diagnosis of a minor please report the posts and don't reply to them.  It just causes more clean up on our end.  

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 7

20 hours ago, cacophony_grey said:

I’m Lutheran and we have The Lutheran Handbook which is a hilarious guide to being Lutheran. There’s a chapter about what to do if you are at risk of being burnt at the stake for heresy, they advice wearing flame retardant clothing.

Edited by Father Son Holy Goat
  • Haha 25

On 12/26/2021 at 11:13 PM, Meggo said:

Glad I could help!! In Grandmas ongoing religious instruction (Operation Save the kid soul from his “heathen” parents) she got him a book called “Good Night Jesus”- all about praying to him.

I am not making fun of anyone’s faith but my mom knows the only way to get religion into my house (after giving my then fiancé a book called “so you want to marry a Catholic”) is to give the kiddo a book about it. He is 8 and has THREE on the story of Christmas..

And I just wish mom would respect OUR choice but alas- no

Wow! Sounds like you're in the same situation as me. Your mom seems to be going a little harder than mine. My daughter is six and she still can't understand why we aren't raising my daughter in any religious tradition. She wanted to know why we opted to not send our daughter to a church based pre-school. I've noticed various other subtle comments such as really over emphasizing "under God" in the pledge of allegiance. 

Luckily my daughter hasn't been given a religious gift yet but I'm really not looking forward to the conversation if that happens.

• Upvote 5

On 12/28/2021 at 1:13 PM, Knight of Ni said:

Wow! Sounds like you're in the same situation as me. Your mom seems to be going a little harder than mine. My daughter is six and she still can't understand why we aren't raising my daughter in any religious tradition. She wanted to know why we opted to not send our daughter to a church based pre-school. I've noticed various other subtle comments such as really over emphasizing "under God" in the pledge of allegiance. 

Luckily my daughter hasn't been given a religious gift yet but I'm really not looking forward to the conversation if that happens.

It’s kind of our own “fault”. We opted to send him to the so-close-I-hear-the-announcements school which happens to be Catholic. So I don’t know if she sees this as her in? Or if she thinks my husband is the one making me not be a practicing Catholic and is waiting for a sign from me that I am under duress or something.. (I was a non practicing Catholic from the second I could get away with it)

and now that he (kiddo, not Hubs) is in grade 3- my mom is VERY concerned that he isn’t going to go through his first communion and other kids will make fun of him. (Always a reason to complete a sacrament- fear of being made fun of).

and two years ago we got this… I don’t know how to describe it. Kind of elf on the shelf for religious people? It was a manger with straw and you put on piece in for every good thing you did so you made a nice bed for baby Jesus. I gave it back and said “no thank you”

she got all flustered and “well I was just trying to be nice…” but literally has not stopped trying to shove religion at him. 

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Meggo said:

It’s kind of our own “fault”. We opted to send him to the so-close-I-hear-the-announcements school which happens to be Catholic. So I don’t know if she sees this as her in? Or if she thinks my husband is the one making me not be a practicing Catholic and is waiting for a sign from me that I am under duress or something.. (I was a non practicing Catholic from the second I could get away with it)

and now that he (kiddo, not Hubs) is in grade 3- my mom is VERY concerned that he isn’t going to go through his first communion and other kids will make fun of him. (Always a reason to complete a sacrament- fear of being made fun of).

and two years ago we got this… I don’t know how to describe it. Kind of elf on the shelf for religious people? It was a manger with straw and you put on piece in for every good thing you did so you made a nice bed for baby Jesus. I gave it back and said “no thank you”

she got all flustered and “well I was just trying to be nice…” but literally has not stopped trying to shove religion at him. 

Just curious, how does that work out to have your child go to a religious school - but not be religious? Like, does he ask you about religious things? Or want to pray at home, or? What do you say? Ignore me if that’s too personal, it’s just interesting to me.

• Upvote 1

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic