IGNORED

Sports and Misogyny

47of74

You'd think over in Europe they'd be a bit more evolved but I guess not.

Athletes on the Norwegian women's beach handball team are being punished for wearing shorts rather than bikini bottoms during a recent game, with the European Handball Federation leveling fines over "a case of improper clothing."

The federation's disciplinary commission imposed a fine of 150 euros per player (around $175) on the 10-member squad.

Norway's team gave advance warning to officials at the European Beach Handball Championship that the athletes would wear shorts rather than bikini bottoms when they faced Spain in a bronze-medal game Sunday. The Norwegians lost that game — but they also said they were proud to make a statement by playing in shorts instead of bikini bottoms.

The Norwegian team said the bikini bottoms aren't practical in a sport that constantly sees players diving into the sand. Some have also said the requirements are simply degrading to women.

If I had the scratch I'd offer to pay the fine myself. 

• Upvote 2

And did you see the shorts? They were form fitting and short, still! Just not bikini bottom short. It wasn't like they borrowed the men's uniform shorts - which are baggy and comfy looking. 

Here's the men's team and the women's team together in their "regulation" uniforms.E6mxyqBXEAYfSni.jpeg.c48a2dcf9fe50c7c456e645c97ed699a.jpeg

Here are the women in their "shorts" that they got fined for.

FJQRWVT6UZBALEC27T6ZFW224Q.thumb.jpg.eb9029b25f96f3b78dc04e8c1ac13547.jpg

• Thank You 4

11 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

And did you see the shorts? They were form fitting and short, still! Just not bikini bottom short. It wasn't like they borrowed the men's uniform shorts - which are baggy and comfy looking. 

Here's the men's team and the women's team together in their "regulation" uniforms.E6mxyqBXEAYfSni.jpeg.c48a2dcf9fe50c7c456e645c97ed699a.jpeg

Imagine the men being expected to play shirtless in Speedos. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 7