IGNORED

Greg Abbott: Texas has a Shitweasel in the Governor's Mansion

Cartmann99

Paxton on Friday sued the Elgin, Galveston, Richardson, Round Rock, Sherman and Spring school districts for requiring students, teachers, school employees and visitors to don face coverings while on their premises, which he dubbed “unlawful political maneuvering.”

“If districts choose to spend their money on legal fees, they must do so knowing that my office is ready and willing to litigate these cases,” Paxton said in a statement. “I have full confidence that the courts will side with the law – not acts of political defiance.”

Dozens of school districts across the state have defied Abbott and issued mask mandates. It was not immediately clear late Friday why Paxton chose the six districts he sued.

• Disgust 4
  • WTF 10

7 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

So THIS is what Greg Abbott wants for his legacy?  This is what he wants in the history books?  That he not only refused to protect kids himself, but actively and willfully tried to prevent others from protecting kids?  Because history will not be kind.  (I'm looking at you, too, DeSantis and Reynolds.)

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

More districts have been sued, including two that don’t enforce a mask mandate.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/09/14/texas-mask-mandate-lawsuits/

My son’s school district has a mask mandate so I’m just waiting for us to be added to the list too, unless the state is avoiding Dallas County districts which are legally allowed to have mask mandates because they won in the most recent court case and it hasn’t been heard at the appeal level yet.

Edited by BensAllergies
  • Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, BensAllergies said:

More districts have been sued, including two that don’t enforce a mask mandate.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/09/14/texas-mask-mandate-lawsuits/

My sons’s school district has a mask mandate so I’m just waiting for us to be added to the list too, unless the state is avoiding Dallas County districts which are legally allowed to have mask mandates because they won in the most recent court case and it hasn’t been heard at the appeal level yet.

I am moving to Texas this fall (Austin) and have been following covid related news in Texas. My kids are homeschooled (I hope I am not judged for this here) so I am happy that we don't have to worry about it quite as much, but I presume most of Austin is pretty willing to do the right thing. Still, we traveled there this summer to house hunt and I was convinced we were going to return with Covid. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I am unashamedly giggling out loud at the prospect of Matthew McConaughey on Fox News with Tucker Carlson. He’d probably show up baked, wearing a tight  shirt and tight jeans, and halfway through pull out his bongos while announcing he’s over Tucker’s bullshit and just wants to jam. 

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4

They're aware Abbott won't stand a chance against Beto O'Rourke-- or any Dem candidate for that matter. So they seem to be cutting their losses with him and setting up another candidate who might have a better chance. Add to that the creation of doubt about the integrity of elections, and they are setting themselves up to fight tooth and nail to hold onto the governorship.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Don't be so sure about Beto.  My son and I privately don't think he will ever win a statewide office.  He has run twice and lost.  And his infamous "You bet I'm coming for your guns" statement will NEVER be forgotten by every Texan who owns a gun (which is a LOT).  Thousands and thousands of people will vote against him for that statement alone, no matter how much good he might do otherwise.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

Don't be so sure about Beto.  My son and I privately don't think he will ever win a statewide office.  He has run twice and lost.  And his infamous "You bet I'm coming for your guns" statement will NEVER be forgotten by every Texan who owns a gun (which is a LOT).  Thousands and thousands of people will vote against him for that statement alone, no matter how much good he might do otherwise.  

I think Matthew McConaughey has a better chance.  Sure, he doesn't have any experience and might be terrible at it but he's got name recognition.

• Upvote 5

36 minutes ago, Xan said:

I think Matthew McConaughey has a better chance.  Sure, he doesn't have any experience and might be terrible at it but he's got name recognition.

I'm not voting for him, but his wife Camilla has a gig with HEB which will probably sway some Texans.

I whimpered a little when she showed the rusty bottom of that cast iron pan. :crying-yellow:

• Upvote 5

On 9/24/2021 at 7:22 PM, Xan said:

Sure, he doesn't have any experience and might be terrible at it but he's got name recognition.

Ugh. I know this is true, but it’s the dumbest reason of all to vote for someone. It’s why Trump got elected, and look how that turned out…

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 5

On 9/28/2021 at 1:13 AM, GreyhoundFan said:

More pandering to the base:

Is that any border or just the southern one? I mean, yeah, I can guess the answer but imagining people being arrested for crossing into Texarkana from the "wrong" side is amusing me. 

Also, aren't international borders a federal responsibility?

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott bans any COVID-19 vaccine mandates — including for private employers

COVID-19 vaccine requirements by government agencies, cities, counties and school districts were already banned by a previous executive order — which is currently being fought in court by San Antonio Independent School District. The Legislature also already passed into law a ban on so-called vaccine passports — which would allow businesses to require proof of vaccination to receive service. However, Texas had up to this point allowed private businesses to require vaccines of their own employees.

The latest move appears to be partly motivated by President Joe Biden's actions in September that required all employers with more than 100 workers to be vaccinated or test weekly for the virus.

"In yet another instance of federal government overreach, the Biden Administration is now bullying many private entities into imposing COVID-19 vaccine mandates, causing workforce disruptions that threaten Texas's continued recovery from the COVID-19 disaster," Abbott said in his order.

Spoiler

image.png.7484871166780baabf6713d0f40bf966.png

:doh:

Edited by Cartmann99
  • WTF 4
  • Thank You 5

By now I'm absolutly convinced the strategy behind these mandates is to kill as many poor people as possible, to cull the mostly Dem voters as much as possible.

Republicans will stop at nothing in order to attain and remain in power.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

8 hours ago, fraurosena said:

By now I'm absolutly convinced the strategy behind these mandates is to kill as many poor people as possible, to cull the mostly Dem voters as much as possible.

Republicans will stop at nothing in order to attain and remain in power.

I think they've collectively decided that they'd rather have Covid killing a lot of Americans and making Biden look bad than to save their fellow human beings.  They're monkeying around with redistricting and getting Republicans put in charge of elections so they don't care about killing a few more hundred thousand voters.  Once they control the elections, they'll win anyway.  Icing on the cake is making sure that enough Republicans think that Biden mishandled the Covid crisis.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3