IGNORED

Greg Abbott: Texas has a Shitweasel in the Governor's Mansion

Cartmann99

Oh look, he's campaigning again.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0d7ed5c3d4f4c1965b43095da7111ed9.png

image.thumb.png.66124f384bbfdd69c1f72fc77f2a8186.png

• Upvote 4

No comment necessary: "Texas Gov. Abbott, who banned mask mandates, tests positive for Covid"

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, who’s fought local officials throughout the state on mask mandates, has tested positive for Covid-19, his office announced Tuesday.

Abbott is fully vaccinated, “is in good health, and currently experiencing no symptoms,” his office said in a statement.

“Governor Abbott is in constant communication with his staff, agency heads, and government officials to ensure that state government continues to operate smoothly and efficiently,” his office said. Abbott is receiving Regeneron’s monoclonal antibody treatment and plans to isolate in the Governor’s Mansion. His wife Cecilia Abbott tested negative. Abbott, who is otherwise healthy, was left paralyzed below the waist after an oak tree fell on him while jogging in 1984, leaving him in a wheelchair.

The announcement of Abbott’s illness comes just days after the governor called for 2,500 out-of-state medical personnel to combat the coronavirus. He also requested that state hospitals postpone all elective procedures to clear room to treat more Covid patients as the delta variant floods the state’s health-care infrastructure.

Abbott unveiled a plan Friday to launch nine monoclonal antibody infusion centers across the state as Covid patients clog up hospitals across the state. Almost 45% of Texas’ 6,959 reported intensive care beds are currently occupied by coronavirus patients, compared with 26% nationwide, according to the Department of Health and Human Services.

Texas reported a seven-day average of more than 15,000 new Covid cases as of Tuesday, an increase of over 6% from a week ago, according to a CNBC analysis of data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.

Abbott, a staunch opponent of mask mandates, issued an executive order banning local governments and school districts from requiring facial coverings in July and fining those who failed to comply $1,000. School districts in San Antonio and Dallas defied Abbott and received temporary restraining orders last week that initially prevented Abbott from enforcing his ban.

But the Texas Supreme Court sided with Abbott on Sunday, temporarily blocking the mask mandates from taking effect. Local city and school officials say they plan to continue fighting Abbott’s mask ban in the courts.

• Bless Your Heart 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 7

Many of y'all may not know that Greg Abbott is a paraplegic and in a wheel chair.  He's in generally good health as far as I know, so I don't know if this will be a factor in his recovery or not. 

As a fully vaxxed person, he should be able to recover without complications. 

Anecdotally, my brother's friend (pre-vaccines) got to an ER and found he was already in steep decline from COVID; monoclonal antibody treatment turned him around completely in 24 hours. 

And, in general, f**k Greg Abbott for his retrograde mask stance and his utterly f**ked up anti mask stance for Texas schools. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 8
  • Thank You 4

9 minutes ago, Howl said:

As a fully vaxxed person, he should be able to recover without complications.

Maybe. The vaccination gives better odds, but the risk factors you have are still there - a fully vaxxed healthy 80 year moves to the risk profile of an unvaccinated 50 year old for example. There is also some evidence showing long covid is still a possibility in vaccinated people, but not enough data to show the incidence or relative severity/duration yet.

Having said all that I'm guessing that like Trump, with the best healthcare etc he'll be fine. The devil looks after his own. 

• Upvote 12

Abbott, who is otherwise healthy, was left paralyzed below the waist after an oak tree fell on him while jogging in 1984, leaving him in a wheelchair.

This makes it sound like the oak tree was jogging, picked Abbott up, and tossed him into a wheelchair that happened to be nearby.

I just looked at the article, and it now says:

The governor, who is otherwise healthy, was left paralyzed below the waist after an oak tree fell on him while he was jogging in 1984, leaving him in a wheelchair

One correction out of two - I guess I should be grateful.

People use wheelchairs, they are not "in them" or "confined to them."

Even shitweasels.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

He turns 64 in November.

Edited by Cartmann99
  • Thank You 14

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 3

11 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

I like this take on the mask issue for schools, because it upends the "schools can't enforce mask wearing!" excuse entirely. They can send girls home for wearing tank tops or shorts a quarter-inch too short, and make kids with offensive shirts change into another one or turn them inside-out, so surely they can enforce mask wearing. It's part of the dress code, don't ya know!

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

This would have been a great time for him to encourage Texans to wear face masks. :pb_rollseyes:

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

image.png

Edited by GreyhoundFan
  • Upvote 14

No wonder the man got a third dose - he needed to protect himself in absence of masks, fully knowing how dangerous this virus is.

• Upvote 14

9 hours ago, Smash! said:

No wonder the man got a third dose - he needed to protect himself in absence of masks, fully knowing how dangerous this virus is.

Still begs the question why he is willingly and wittingly putting the lives of his own voters in danger. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 4

28 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Still begs the question why he is willingly and wittingly putting the lives of his own voters in danger. 

Because of voter suppression. It’s getting harder and harder for a democrat to get elected. So why bother if your voters die or get disabled if you or another republican win anyway?

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

5 hours ago, Smash! said:

Because of voter suppression. It’s getting harder and harder for a democrat to get elected. So why bother if your voters die or get disabled if you or another republican win anyway?

And the only thing he really cares about are his wealthy donors.

• I Agree 10

5 hours ago, fraurosena said:

IMO because he (and Slimy Ted and all their ilk) want as many brown, black and democrat voters to die as possible.  No one can convince me otherwise.  They will do anything, including cause thousands upon thousands of deaths, to keep their power.  They're sociopaths (ESPECIALLY Slimy Ted).

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4

20 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

This would have been a great time for him to encourage Texans to wear face masks. :pb_rollseyes:

And get vaccinated. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

On 8/19/2021 at 10:21 PM, GreyhoundFan said:

And the only thing he really cares about are his wealthy donors.

Who are all vaccinated and have access to high level medical care.

• Upvote 11

About 14 years ago, my company was acquired and my new boss asked if I'd move to Texas or Florida, where they had large offices. I asked if my job depended on moving. When he said it didn't, I told him I wouldn't move. I would have hated either place because I hate heat and humidity. But I really would hate to live in a state controlled by Abbott or DeSantis. I frequently give my now former boss silent thanks that he didn't demand I move.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 7

• 2 weeks later...