IGNORED

Jana Duggar 12: Will She or Won't She?

nelliebelle1197

My engagement ring has a 1 carat, very high quality diamond.  My ex paid about $15k for the ring even though it was twice the size I wanted.  (Not surprise that we're divorced now!)  I want to sell it and give the money to my goddaughter when she goes to college, but I'm afraid I won't get very much for it.  My goddaughter lost her dad last week and the whole family is in mourning.  It just makes me sad to think about now, but I still want to be able to give her some money when she's older.  I think I just need to shop the diamond around to a bunch of jewelers here in Los Angeles and see what I can get for it.

Edited by hollyfeller
Typo
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 5

I’m not a jewelry person at all. My husband and I have been married for 23 years. I never wore my wedding ring at home and only put it on when I was leaving the house. 7 years ago I lost it while on vacation. We were doing a rafting trip through Page Arizona that day and all I can think is I took it off to put on sunscreen??  Because I so often didn’t have it on anyway I didn’t realize it was gone until the next morning. I looked all over our hotel room and called the place we did the rafting a few times…So for the past 7 years I’ve had no wedding ring and other than initially having some guilt, it hasn’t mattered to me one bit. I’ve never wanted to replace it. I love traveling and I have no desire to spend money on a ring when that money could be spent on traveling!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Travelfan said:

I’m not a jewelry person at all. My husband and I have been married for 23 years. I never wore my wedding ring at home and only put it on when I was leaving the house. 7 years ago I lost it while on vacation. We were doing a rafting trip through Page Arizona that day and all I can think is I took it off to put on sunscreen??  Because I so often didn’t have it on anyway I didn’t realize it was gone until the next morning. I looked all over our hotel room and called the place we did the rafting a few times…So for the past 7 years I’ve had no wedding ring and other than initially having some guilt, it hasn’t mattered to me one bit. I’ve never wanted to replace it. I love traveling and I have no desire to spend money on a ring when that money could be spent on traveling!

If you ever feel like wearing a ring, they make these inexpensive silicone rings. Men usually wear them for safety reasons. Men who work with their hands wear them. But I think some of them are cute. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 3

Wedding rings.

The First Mr. Four bought me a lovely ring that was birthstone/diamond, in a cocktail style.. when we broke up, I couldn't bear to wear the ring any more. I sold the wedding rings for the gold, and had the engagement ring  made into a stick pin.. I've worn that many times since!

I knew a woman in grad school who was a widow, and when she married her second husband, wore both wedding sets because she couldn't bear to stop wearing her first set.

My brother and SIL buy a new wedding set every ten years. 

People are different.

• Upvote 8

11 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

I say do what you want.  
     Hubs of 23 years passed in January and I have no plans for taking mine off.  I had a cheap engagement ring that I took off after we got married. I wanted a plain gold band but he wanted a little fancier so we compromised.  The wife’s band came free when we bought the men’s at Sears for $300. After 20 years, it cracked so I just held it together w/ doctors tape. The next year, right before Xmas, one of the stones fell out so I said a new one can be my gift. I found a really similar one at JcPenney’s for $175. I’m quite happy with it. 

06C79831-AECD-403C-8F59-44D778F3D849.jpeg

My daughter’s engagement ring is very similar to this, except platinum and the diamonds go all the way around. When her now husband went to the jeweler to have it made the jeweler kept asking him if he was sure this is what she wants? Not a typical engagement ring. This is exactly what she wanted. She’s an art teacher and rings that stick up get in her way. She has a simple platinum wedding band and also a silicone band she wears when working with clay.

• Upvote 3

As long I can remember I wanted a nice wedding ring with a blue or teal colored stone. But then we got matching silver rings to wear now and I realized I don‘t want more than that on my finger even if we get married someday. It‘s the thought of wearing such an expensive piece every day and losing it that makes me feel uneasy.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If you ever feel like wearing a ring, they make these inexpensive silicone rings. Men usually wear them for safety reasons. Men who work with their hands wear them. But I think some of them are cute. 

Yep, my SIL wears one. My daughter never wears her rings.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Travelfan said:

My sister has a very nice custom fancy wedding set her hubby got made for her - but when traveling? She wears a cheap Walmart ring and leaves the nice ones at home. It works for her, she still gets to wear a pretty ring without the worry. 

(On a semi-related note, at my college the class ring usually went on the right ring finger - all women's college, btw - and I know off several people on several occasions who, upon being hassled by an oblivious guy not taking their no for an answer, slipped the class ring off and put it on their left hand with the bottom up, so it looked like a plain gold band. Odd how sometimes "I'm not interested" doesn't work, but "I belong to another guy" does.)

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know of at least one doctor (female) who wears these. Cute, comfy, and not in the way.

• Upvote 3

I have a pack of silicon rings I use when volunteering around food or at the beach. It’s only been a bit over a year but I’m already so used to wearing a ring nonstop. My engagement ring was picked by us together and purchased together. I love it so much but wish I had an option for a plain band I could wear sometimes on its own!

Here are my rings! Pls ignore my messy nails. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpg.889e4c7519736cd659232fd1b2f2740f.jpg

• Love 13

46 minutes ago, closetcagebaby said:

I have a pack of silicon rings I use when volunteering around food or at the beach. It’s only been a bit over a year but I’m already so used to wearing a ring nonstop. My engagement ring was picked by us together and purchased together. I love it so much but wish I had an option for a plain band I could wear sometimes on its own!

Hide contents

That’s stunning! 

If my future wealthy spouse can hear me, I’d like a ring like yours or an emerald cut diamond with baguettes😂

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I chose both engagement and wedding ring together with the first MrX. Turns out the rings were prettier than the marriage turned out to be. The current (second) MrX and I never got engaged. We just got married in the city hall one friday six years ago. I have a plain palladium wedding band, and it's perfect. Just like the husband. But yes, the first rings I had were pretty. i still own them. They sit in a box in my bathroom. Hand made and darn expensive. This thread reminded me that I need to do something with them. 

BC10D796-0EDA-4BD5-8F76-78667D89A36A_4_5005_c.jpeg

18 hours ago, hollyfeller said:

My engagement ring has a 1 carat, very high quality diamond.  My ex paid about $15k for the ring even though it was twice the size I wanted.  (Not surprise that we're divorced now!)  I want to sell it and give the money to my goddaughter when she goes to college, but I'm afraid I won't get very much for it.  My goddaughter lost her dad last week and the whole family is in mourning.  It just makes me sad to think about now, but I still want to be able to give her some money when she's older.  I think I just need to shop the diamond around to a bunch of jewelers here in Los Angeles and see what I can get for it.

Sadly jewellery has a terrible resale value :(

My experience is that few people want to risk or can afford to buy from an individual, and jewellery stores prefer to do trade in's. If you get 1/2 you are doing pretty good in selling your ring. Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news, but been there watching a friend and it's not easy to sell once you cross a certain value.

Cheaper jewellery actually holds value better. Under about $500 your more likely to get near what you paid, the higher you go it's hard, until you get into super rare pieces and celebrity connections. A lot of the value in resale is the size of the market. 

5 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

Hide contents

Nails still better than Katie’s claws lol 

lovely ring. Xo