IGNORED

Edward Might not Get Duke of Edinburgh Title

anjulibai

It's not at all unheard of for women to be given duchies in their own rights. Usually, the remainder is to their male heirs, but sometimes it can be passed down through other female descendents.

It takes them wanting to do it, though. I don't think it's as complicated as it seems, it's just about how they word the Letters Patent creating the title. It's not like there's any land ownship associated with the title, like there was once upon a time. 

I imagine, though, that William and Kate would want to give Charlotte the Princess Royal title, though they'd have to wait until Anne died to do that. But that's no different than having to wait for Andrew to die for the York title to be available. 

There are, of course, other duchies available, both ones that are traditionally royal and ones that are not that could be made royal. 

• Upvote 4

On 7/17/2021 at 1:34 PM, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I expect it could be a new creation as a life peerage, though there’s never been a life dukedom. But as others have said, she’s already duchess of Edinburgh, so she could just start using it when she loses the Cornwall title. Depending on how quickly Charles makes William Prince of Wales (it’s not automatic), William could be the duke of Cambridge and Cornwall for a while.

I was basing my answer on the my  only known peerage creation for a prospective queen consort. Anne Boleyn as Marchioness of Pembroke. Those Letters Patent stated the title would be inherited by her Heirs Male regardless of their legitimacy.  Since Camilla's heirs male were born in legal matrimony that is a moot point. 

I can't see the royals wanting their step-children/siblings/niblings getting hold of part of their heritage and money.

On 7/17/2021 at 9:35 AM, louisa05 said:

She’s DOE right now. Literally. It was always an inheritable title and Charles inherited it. 
As a female consort, she will be titled Queen Consort. Because patriarchy, women marrying into the family receive titles based on their husband’s titles. Men who marry in do not. Thus, Meghan is Duchess of Sussex and Princess Henry while Jack Brooksbank is…Jack Brooksbank. Philip would had no title at all so George VI gave him a dukedom on marriage. It wasn’t a title for a consort. Suddenly making it one would be very odd and highly unlikely. 

Philip was born a prince of Denmark and Greece and he renounced those titles  to marry the then Princess Elizabeth. My point was to do with Charles creating for his wife a non specific royal duchy as per Anne Boleyn's elevation to the peerage as Marchioness of Pembroke and the dangers of the wording of the Letters Patent.

• Upvote 1

I guess this is where I ask my question.  I think I have read that a large part of Charles' income comes from the Cornwall properties; does William become Duke of Cornwall when Charles becomes king, and does that income then revert to William?

59 minutes ago, SoSoNosy said:

I guess this is where I ask my question.  I think I have read that a large part of Charles' income comes from the Cornwall properties; does William become Duke of Cornwall when Charles becomes king, and does that income then revert to William?

Yes, technically it's automatic. Other titles for the Heir Apparent need to be bestowed.

• Upvote 3

Yes, the duchy of Cornwall's income goes to William. I believe duchy of Lancaster's income will go to Charles one he's king. 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

It’s a complicated time consuming process to placate a tiny handful of privileged people when there is no very strong/rapidly growing movement  yet for a change in inheritance law in the first place. With the state of the world and The Uk  now it’s so trivial IMO. 

Of course it is trivial. But it is entertaining to speculate and comment. ?  

• I Agree 1

3 hours ago, Seahorse Wrangler said:

I was basing my answer on the my  only known peerage creation for a prospective queen consort. Anne Boleyn as Marchioness of Pembroke. Those Letters Patent stated the title would be inherited by her Heirs Male regardless of their legitimacy.  Since Camilla's heirs male were born in legal matrimony that is a moot point. 

I can't see the royals wanting their step-children/siblings/niblings getting hold of part of their heritage and money.

Philip was born a prince of Denmark and Greece and he renounced those titles  to marry the then Princess Elizabeth. My point was to do with Charles creating for his wife a non specific royal duchy as per Anne Boleyn's elevation to the peerage as Marchioness of Pembroke and the dangers of the wording of the Letters Patent.

I don’t think a brand new peerage needs to be created for Camilla.  As consort she shares all her husband’s titles.  Right now she is Princess of Wales, but just doesn’t use the title.  If he becomes King, she could be Queen Consort, but so far it has been agreed that she will be Princess Consort (which means she will need to be made a princess) and since she will no longer be Duchess of Cornwall, she would probably be called by the name of a Duchy Charles holds. (For example, Duchess of Lancaster.)  No need to create her a peer in her own right.

The situation with Anne Boleyn was to provide for possible male children she might have with Henry whose legitimacy was somehow in question.  In Camilla’s case, the goal would just be to assign her a title that reflected her status and importance.

For what it’s worth, the English refused to approve a title for Victoria’s consort.  Albert’s only English title was “Prince Consort.”  It is therefore entirely possible that Princess Consort will be the main title that Camilla uses, if she does not get crowned queen.

• Upvote 4