IGNORED

Edward Might not Get Duke of Edinburgh Title

anjulibai

Saw this and thought it was interesting. Very petty and kind of a dick move Charles' part if it's true. For those that don't know, for years it's been said that eventually, Edward would be made Duke of Edinburgh when the title reverts to the crown, which would happen when Charles becomes king. But now it seems like Charles doesn't want to do that? Link is to a Times of London article about this. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/edward-wants-to-be-duke-of-edinburgh-but-his-brother-is-not-on-his-side-77v25z3b0

If it's true, it makes me wonder what will happen with the Duke of Edinburgh awards. Edward inherited that charity from Phillip, so it kind of makes sense to make him Duke of Edinburgh (in as much as giving someone any hereditary title makes sense). Will Charles want him to give that up? Who would take it? William? Doesn't seem like his sort of thing, to be honest. 

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 2

I don’t know if this isn’t just more rumor tempest in a teapot. The Queen the late Duke and Charles have been on the same page about the matter for a while. Charles could just do what he wants after she dies but as Edward and Sophie have been doing their duties with no drama or scandal for many years and it was his fathers wish it would be a  really quite Douche of  him.  And why? There is not anyone else to eligible to take it anyway. 

"We sat there slightly stunned," Sophie told The Daily Telegraph. "He literally came straight in and said, 'Right. I’d like it very much if you would consider that'."

In the same interview, Edward said "theoretically" the title should have gone to Prince Andrew, but the Queen had already conferred a dukedom on him. "It’s a very bittersweet role to take on because the only way the title can come to me is after both my parents have actually passed away," he said.

"My father was very keen that the title should continue, but he didn’t quite move quickly enough with Andrew, so it was us who he eventually had the conversation with. It was a lovely idea; a lovely thought."

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

If The Crown is based on any kind of truth, Charles can be rather dickish.  I would hope he wouldn't go this far, though; it's something his father was very vocal about wanting.

• Upvote 2

Please. Don’t get your History from ‘The Crown’  Even the events they do get right are embellished for Max drama. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 2

• Coconut Flan changed the title to Edward Might not Get Duke of Edinburgh Title

Looks rather like click bait rather than anything Charles may have actually talked about doing.  

• Upvote 9

I saw that too and wondered how much truth there was to it. It seems like there’s a lot of hearsay and conjecture. 

To be honest, the Duke of Ed award is so highly esteemed that there would be a lot of protesting if they even changed the name. It is prestigious! It’s an enormous commitment and undertaking that I can understand being upset if you’re halfway through. And Edward has already started attending those ceremonies. 

• Upvote 6

It seems like an odd article to pop up out of the blue for click bait, though. There were plenty of articles when Philip died about how the title went to Charles automatically but Edward would receive it once Charles was king. Something has changed for the narrative in the media to change. I’m not saying it’s true, but there must have been at least a conversation about Charles keeping it in order for these articles to appear, IMO. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, viii said:

It seems like an odd article to pop up out of the blue for click bait, though. There were plenty of articles when Philip died about how the title went to Charles automatically but Edward would receive it once Charles was king. Something has changed for the narrative in the media to change. I’m not saying it’s true, but there must have been at least a conversation about Charles keeping it in order for these articles to appear, IMO. 

Not really. Harry and his title drama have been all over the grain of salt  semi believable media so they are trying to get more milk  out of the head lines and came up with this. There will probably be Articles coming soon about him wanting to take Andrews titles away and the usual batch of Camilla: Queen or not? 

• Upvote 2

My first thought was to be skeptical and think it was clickbait. Except that this is the Times of London, which doesn’t do clickbait (literally - there’s a paywall). It’s definitely the source Charles would choose if he wanted to leak the news in response to the Wessexes’ interviews. My guess is that he’s decided to give the title to Louis or leave it up to William to do so. Charles wants the title to stay with his line of descent, and he wants the Wessexes to fade into obscurity once the Cambridge children are grown.

ETA: I had a thought. Charles is saving it for Camilla to hold in her own right. (Louis can have it after she dies.) People are used to that being the consort’s title. Because the duke of Cornwall is the sovereign’s oldest son (if the sovereign doesn’t have a son, there isn’t a duke of Cornwall), Camilla loses her title the moment the queen dies. Charles may try to make her queen, but he might not, and she’s definitely not going to be HRH Princess Camilla. 

Edited by QuiverFullofBooks
Added more
  • Upvote 5

He does not have to try to make her Queen. If he says she will titled Queen She will be as It’s  her rightful title anyway. The Rabid Saint Diana worshipers will weep and gnash their teeth and go on Internet tirades but what else is new? Haters gonna hate. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I thought in order to get married Charles had to sign something saying he would not make her a queen consort. 

Personally, I hope she does become queen. She’s a good sort I think. You can’t hold people’s mistakes against them forever. 

• Upvote 6

32 minutes ago, viii said:

I thought in order to get married Charles had to sign something saying he would not make her a queen consort. 

He did. He could choose to go back on his word but it wouldn’t be a popular move. It was announced on their marriage (and reaffirmed in 2020) that she will be Princess Consort, not Queen Consort. She will also not receive the ‘Princess of Wales’ title. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

She will automatically be Queen Consort the moment he becomes King. Their is no Such animal as a Princess consort? anyway. And if they had an an idea to completely upend things like that parliament would have to legislate it and since you can’t just do that for person Catherine, George’s wife and so on would also end up as Princess Consort... Just a big complicated mess really. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 2

3 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

I never heard anything like that. She will automatically be Queen Consort the moment he becomes King. Their is no Such animal as a Princess consort? anyway. And if they had an an idea to completely upend things like that parliament would have to legislate it and since you can’t just do that for person Catherine, George’s wife and so on would also end up as Princess Consort... Just a big complicated mess really. 

I don’t believe that she will automatically be Queen Consort. A quick google shows several articles where it was agreed that she would be Princess Consort when Charles becomes King. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

She will automatically be Queen Consort the moment he becomes King. Their is no Such animal as a Princess consort? anyway. And if they had an an idea to completely upend things like that parliament would have to legislate it and since you can’t just do that for person Catherine, George’s wife and so on would also end up as Princess Consort... Just a big complicated mess really. 

Are you serious? Clarence House released a statement about it. More than once.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

She and they can call her the Princess of Wonka Land but there is no legal or Historical precedence for a Kings Wife being a Princess Consort. Just like she is legally entitled to be Princess of Wales but chose to be titled other wise.   For example They do the same with Wessex children who are Prince and Princess but called the lesser Title of Lord and Lady. Does not change who they are. 

Unless 1000 years of title tradition is officially changed She becomes Queen consort legally. 

Edited by tabitha2
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

12 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

She can call herself the Princess of Wonka Land but there is no legal or Historical precedence for a Kings Wife being a Princess Consort. Just like she is legally entitled to be Princess of Wales but chose to be titled other wise. 

Unless 1000 years of title tradition is officially changed She becomes Queen consort legally. 

Yikes. Yes, historically the King’s wife would be Queen Consort. However, it has been agreed that out of respect for Princess Diana, Camilla will go by Princess Consort when Charles is King. This is why Camilla goes by Duchess of Cornwall. 
It is really not necessary to get so defensive about this. 

• Upvote 7

I actually think it would be a nice idea if any future spouse of the monarch would be the Duke/Duchess of Edinburgh in their own right.

So they might technically be Queen/Prince Consort, but known as the Duchess/Duke of Edinburgh instead. It would be a good genderneutral solution to the dilemma of having to distinguish between Queen Consort and Queen Regnant.

However, whatever Charles' presumably very justified reasons might be for not wanting to confer the title to Edward, I can understand the hurt and upset it may cause inside the family.

• Upvote 4

Who is being defensive? That’s just real talk. And unless they actually put into law Charles and Clarence House can change their tune anytime and the The world and monarchy will still go on. The World has bigger issues than what a figure heads figure head wife is called :)

• Upvote 2

@Tabitha2 is correct that once Charles is King, his wife is legally Queen Consort constitutionally.  Buckingham Palace may only refer to her as the Princess Consort, but it won't change her legal status, absent some sort of legislation by Parliament possibly.  Just like Camilla is technically the Princess of Wales. 

Charles' public announcements that Camilla will only be styled as Princess Consort are not binding.  

Personally, I don't really care which title is used by Camilla.  But then I was never a Diana-worshipper, and I'm married to a divorced man, so I lack the passion to care.  I've read rumors that William is the real hold-out on Camilla getting the Queen Consort title.

As to the DOE being conferred to Edward, I think it's a really bad look for Charles to not confer it on his brother, but I also think the Queen should have given her youngest son an available Dukedom.  Non-royal peers can't pick and choose which child gets their father's peerage.  I'm sure a few would like to.   That said, Charles and William need Sophie and Edward more than ever.  Slighting them would be narrow-minded. 

(Camilla will arguably be the Duchess of Lancaster as the King's wife if Charles really needs her to have a Duchess title,   There is no need to create dukedom to give Camilla a Duchess title.)

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

They need to lay past to rest once and for all and Finally be start putting the Kibosh on Unhealthy Diana Idol worship by Giving Camilla her rightful place and due. The woman has been nothing but a very hard working dedicated Royal and Praised by those in the know and his own sons as a genuinely kind friendly person. 

• I Agree 1

53 minutes ago, tabitha2 said:

They need to lay past to rest once and for all and Finally be start putting the Kibosh on Unhealthy Diana Idol worship by Giving Camilla her rightful place and due. The woman has been nothing but a very hard working dedicated Royal and Praised by those in the know and his own sons as a genuinely kind friendly person. 

It’s very easy to say that as an outsider, but for William and Harry - it’s not that simple. I’m sure they like Camilla and get along with her well enough, but there’s no doubt that she caused a huge amount of grief in their family and it’s easier to pin their pain on her, rather than their parents. 

Not to mention, when a parent dies, it’s very common and very easy to view them through idyllic eyes. 

• Upvote 6

Well yes. Rose colored glasses. But as adults we should not idolize and excuse a parent even a dead one all their human faults and foibles. You can love a person dearly but still be truthful . 

They could have been making nice of course . but saying they love her for making their father happy is very sweet and I hope they were being genuine. William I tend to believe more obviously.