IGNORED

Hobby Lobby Another Ugly American Business

WiseGirl

How did I miss this ugliness? Pay attention to where you spend your money folks. There are other places to shop, even Amazon.

Yes, they called for a Christian run government.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hobby-lobby-newspaper/

https://www.newsandguts.com/hobby-lobby-facing-backlash-for-july-4th-christian-government-newspaper-ad/

• Disgust 2
  • Thank You 2

Ugh Hobby Lobby has been AWFUL for a long time, from refusing to allow their health insurance for employees to cover birth control, to the stolen (some fake LOL) antiquities they've smuggled into the country. They are aggressively "christian" even in their stores, playing hymns and christian songs and having "testa-mints" tins at each of the checkout counters. I consider myself christian and it still turns me off.

I have tried very hard to avoid them whenever possible, and now that they've ended their weekly 40% off coupons it'll be even easier, as the two or so times I've been there in the last 5 years it was to use that coupon on good watercolor paper.

Unfortunately my local Michaels is terrible. 1/4 the size of Hobby Lobby, and they seem to be completely phasing out all their actual art supplies. They have craft stuff, but what art stuff they have is now shoved in a back corner and that section is smaller every time I go in there. Last time I ended up at Hobby Lobby was because our Michaels had NO watercolor paper except the cheap Canson stuff and it was late enough I couldn't get to Cheap Joe's before they closed. 

I've resigned myself to online shopping for most art stuff now. Jerry's Artarama, Cheap Joe's Art Supplies, and Dick Blick are all good options, and sometimes cheaper than Amazon. I think Jerry's and Cheap Joe's are both based in North Carolina as well! For craft stuff there are tons of specialized stores as well. Hobby Lobby sucks.

• Upvote 9

Fortunately, my immediate area is Hobby Lobby-free(although they’re in the Rochester and Syracuse areas).

• Upvote 4

Oh I've known that for a number of years now and won't step foot in one anymore.  It was kind of a shame too since they had lots of parts for making clocks, which is a hobby of mine.  I haven't made any lately but I do sometimes like to make small clocks as gifts for family members.  Dubuque also has a Michael's so I can go there for some stuff.  If I go up to Madison there's World Market and some other alternatives to Hobby Lobby.  I often go to Klockit for clock parts now.  They used to have a retail store but are just online now. 

I also heard Joann is a good place for crafts.  In Dubuque they took over the western 1/4 of our former Mart of K.  I went in there once after they opened mainly to get my mom a gift card for her birthday. (The VA and Slumberland took over the remaining portions).

• Upvote 3

On 7/8/2021 at 9:21 AM, smittykins said:

Fortunately, my immediate area is Hobby Lobby-free(although they’re in the Rochester and Syracuse areas).

I live where you can eat at Chik-Fil-A before you go shopping at Hobby Lobby. :pb_sad:

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:

I live where you can eat at Chik-Fil-A before you go shopping at Hobby Lobby. :pb_sad:

Yeah so do I.  They displaced a Perkins where I’d go for my breakfast food fix too. 

• Sad 4

No Hobby Lobby by me - we have Joanns and Michaels.  We do have Chik-Fil-A, and I like their food, despite their politics.  Their salads are fresh and delicious, but Popeye's chicken sandwich is better.  ?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hobby Lobby has been in my area for over 20 years.  Chick-Fil-A has expanded into my area during the last five years.  I personally have chosen not to spend my money at either.  I don't go around telling anyone unless asked; it's just something I don't do.

I do admit to still going into Hobby Lobby every once in awhile to browse but refuse to buy things..  Hobby Lobby has a varied selection of craft  and decor items, and it's a good wandering place.    When the store first opened, I loved shopping there.  My mom used to buy some yarn there that she couldn't find anywhere else. At the time the first store in the area opened, my husband  worked for a company that made bar code scanners.  When he asked  the sales rep for its corporate region why they didn't try to sell the scanners to Hobby Lobby, he said he did once, and he was never going back there again.  The owner was very against the scanners because bar codes would become mark of the beast.  The corporate hallways had huge framed posters with creepy bible verses  The sales rep was given a tract about Revelations before he left.  Corporate has since built a new, really fancy looking corporate center and appeared to get rid of the posters, but the description the rep told still sticks in my mind today.  Anyways, I still shopped there; I don't mind supporting Christian businesses when they don't restrict the rights of others.  I stopped when I found out about the company's  health insurance purposely not covering birth control for their employees.  

I dare not go into a Chick-Fil-A ever.  I would be too tempted to break my personal ban.  It's been awhile, but I have fond memories of the food from my college year in Kentucky.

• Upvote 6

I'd like to know when these thieving, trafficking asshats are going to jail. They skated on prior charges by paying a big fine & returning the stolen goods.

The problem is that they have ALWAYS known exactly what they were doing but because Jeebus, it was OK to traffic in pillaged goods. In the prior case, they deliberately misdescribed & undervalued the items they imported.

These fuckers need some serious prison time.

• I Agree 12

• 1 year later...

More Hobby Lobby fornicatery?  A 3,000 year old Egyptian artifact was seized in Memphis, Tennessee by US Customs.

The artifact was discovered on Aug. 17 and had been shipped to Memphis from Europe. Officials said the item was seized after the shipper made contradictory statements regarding the item's value.

The CBP and experts at the University of Memphis Institute of Egyptian Art and Archaeology determined that the artifact was an Egyptian canopic jar lid of the funeral deity named Imsety. They were used to hold the internal organs of mummies.

It would not surprise me if they were up to their old tricks again...

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1