IGNORED

Coronavirus 6: The Plague of Delta

Coconut Flan

Also - Kansas City, Missouri is returning to mask mandate indoors. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

My son was able to go back to work today and he did NOT HAVE THE DELTA VARIANT.  Not sure what he did have but he feels better and I am so relieved. <3

• Love 21

18 minutes ago, clueliss said:

When you want the vaccine in Missouri but are afraid it's going to ruin your Flag Waving Trumper status (vaccines in secret)

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/29/health/vaccines-in-secret-missouri/index.html

I suspected this was happening.  Potentially the most vocal anti-vaxxers are secretly vaccinated.  ?  

• Upvote 11

On 7/27/2021 at 5:09 PM, Dandruff said:

It's about 50% where I am, including the staff.  People seem unwilling to think about future consequences until they're about to be downed by them, and it's often too late.  To be clear, I don't care if the anti-maskers and those eligible but unwilling to be vaccinated suffer the consequences.  I do care about the collateral damage.

I've noticed that in the city where I work, mask wearing is about 50% in stores. We have a "maks required if unvaccinated" sign on our door, and about half our customers wear masks when they come in even if they are vaccinated. 

In the small town where I live? Mask-wearing is like 1%. Usually I'm the only person in the place with a mask on. I'm going to Ikea this Saturday for the first time in forever, and will be wearing a mask. Hopefully most people will be. 

I don't love wearing masks, but I'd rather wear one than get a breakthrough case of Covid. And I've got two co-workers who refuse to get vaccinated. I don't want to bring in an asymptomatic breakthrough case and take down our entire press/bindery department. Because that would result in a stressed-out boss and be an all-around pain in everyone's ass. 

One of them was on vacation all this week. I'm hoping he doesn't come back infected, even though he was asking for it by not getting the vaccine. He'll be hard to replace. 

• Upvote 9

On 7/28/2021 at 12:30 PM, 47of74 said:

Unfortunately Iowa schools won’t be able to cause CovidKim and her GQP enablers in the legislature put in a new law that doesn’t allow school districts or local governments to mandate masks.  And based on her latest commentary she won’t institute a state wide one now. 

On 7/28/2021 at 1:04 PM, Cartmann99 said:

I share your frustration...

It's like they and De Santis are trying to compete on "Who Can Kill the Most Constituents?"

And gee, maybe if more people were good at the personal responsibility thing, we wouldn't need mask mandates!

I'm in a state with a Republican-dominated legislature but, fortunately, a Democratic governor. So while we probably won't get new mask mandates, we probably won't get restrictions on local mask mandates, yay? The nearest big city hasn't started requiring them but is "recommending" masks indoors under all circumstances.

3 hours ago, clueliss said:

When you want the vaccine in Missouri but are afraid it's going to ruin your Flag Waving Trumper status (vaccines in secret)

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/29/health/vaccines-in-secret-missouri/index.html

If only more of them did...

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

It's like they and De Santis are trying to compete on "Who Can Kill the Most Constituents?"

Whoever succeeds will likely be the next Republican nominee for president.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

6 hours ago, CTRLZero said:

I suspected this was happening.  Potentially the most vocal anti-vaxxers are secretly vaccinated.  ?  

That or there are folks who want the vaccine but honestly don't want to be given any grief from friends/family/neighbors.  Given how politicized the vaccines have been, I can see it being a concern especially in smaller communities where everyone knows everyone's business or makes a point of it. 

I have no problem if they quietly get the vaccine and then keep it quiet but the ones making a bunch of antivaxx noise, including discouraging their own family members from getting vaccinated, while having gotten the vaccine themselves, now those I have a problem with.   And I have an in-law relative whom I strongly suspect is guilty of that.  

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 1

CDC warning Delta as contagious as Chicken Pox

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/30/delta-cdc-warns-variant-is-as-contagious-as-chickenpox-may-make-people-sicker.html

Delta, now in at least 132 countries and already the dominant form of the disease in the United States, is more transmissible than the common cold, the 1918 Spanish flu, smallpox, Ebola, and MERS and SARS, two diseases also caused by coronaviruses, according to the document. Only measles appears to spread faster than the variant.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 5

Question - so who the heck defines "high infection rates" ?

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

So Wal-Mart doesn't feel an extra $75-150 will be enough of an incentive for its corporate staff to get the vaccine apparently. Given that that's what they're offering floor staff. I would hope their incentives also include pay for any time off needed post-vaccine that doesn't come out of sick/other leave.  I had minimal side effects, but my husband went down like a ton of bricks for two days and was still not right on the third. 

I hope the Wal-Mart executives are very publically getting vaccinated and pushing the mask mandate.

• Upvote 5

https://www.10news.com/news/coronavirus/san-diego-county-to-require-its-workers-to-be-vaccinated

San Diego County employees will have to get vaccinated or regularly test.

I wonder how long my anti-vax neighbor who works for the county will hold out before deciding it's easier to get vaccinated.

• Upvote 7

I can say with some confidence that my uber-right-wing anti-government county will probably not require their employees to be vaccinated.  The best I could hope is that some specific departments will -- such as maybe Public Health, the Library, etc.

On the other hand, I am watching with great interest to see whether we end up with a mandate for all US federal employees to be vaxxed -- one attribute of very rural tiny communities is that, after local government workers, our next largest employment group are the federal employees -- primarily US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management.  There will be plenty there who don't want to get the shot, but if it's a nationwide mandate, it will be interesting to see whether there is a mass exodus of employees, or whether they "pretend" to comply but don't actually comply, or whether they just go ahead and do it -- just like I imagine many fed employees don't like that they have to be fingerprinted for the job, but they do it anyway.

• Upvote 9

5 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

On the other hand, I am watching with great interest to see whether we end up with a mandate for all US federal employees to be vaxxed -- one attribute of very rural tiny communities is that, after local government workers, our next largest employment group are the federal employees -- primarily US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management.

I'm outside DC and sure tf hope they all have to be vaxxed.  After a year of Diaper Don and his cronies playing superspreader around here, I think I deserve it.

I'm also hoping that the powers-that-be make a quick decision to offer everyone boosters covering the Delta variant.  I'm getting increasingly anxious about it, especially with so many not wearing masks indoors at this point.

• Upvote 8

Next Thursday, I will officially be fully vaccinated, as I had the second vaccine a week and a half ago. I got literally no side effects other than a bruise on my arm, and am definitely not scared of needles anymore as I didnt experience the slightest bit of nervousness while waiting.

Despite rising rates in the UK after opening things up a bit more, our government dropped the majority of restrictions a few weeks back, even if they said 8 weeks between vaccine doses and only opened it up to all people over 18 only a few weeks before. Predictably, covid cases are highest in under 30s. Im in an area that had high cases so they dropped it to 18 at the time when the rest of the country were offering it to over 35s, Made an appointment the same day it was announced, and still had two weeks after they dropped mask mandates before I could get my second. 

Wasnt the best idea, but it seems the government is pandering to the people who got bored of the pandemic and want the freedom to infect others whenever they want. Ive seen a few articles suggesting things are starting to improve as the vaccination rate rises, so hopefully we will be past the worst of it soon, but this didnt need to happen at all if we had just waited a few months.

Most of my family is vaccinated, except for one of my cousins who has fallen into the whole "vaccines change your DNA" kind of thing she found on the internet. She's the gullible sort.

I know two people now who were against getting the vaccine, who have changed their minds after getting covid and feeling the worst they have ever felt in their life. One had fallen for the whole "plandemic" stuiff and didnt even think covid was real until she caught it, and thinks her past self was a complete idiot now.  Both will be getting the vaccine once theyre able to.

• Upvote 10

Australia’s vaccine strollout cock-up continues. Health advice for months has been that those under 60 should not get the Astra Zeneca, and should wait for Pfizer to become available. Due to limited availability, in NSW, Pfizer doses are not yet available to anyone under 40 (like me). However, I also know several people who ARE eligible, and booked appointments up to three months ago for their jab, with the earliest available spots being next week.

Yesterday, those people (including school teachers, childcare workers, essential retail staff, and disability workers) received these messages.

EDEEC345-D738-44D5-8F64-C7E26960C30C.jpeg.c2d409395fe1d9d97941ac1c6e49d5f3.jpeg

17 and 18 year old high school kids now get priority (but not their teachers) because it’s so damn important to make them sit highly stressful exams in the midst of a pandemic while their families can’t travel outside a 5km radius and must work from home, and their younger siblings do remote learning. We must perpetuate grind culture at all costs. The appointments being cancelled are outside of Sydney, but when they said vaccines would be redirected from “regional and rural nsw” I thought they meant low risk areas, not the next local government area up the coast from known exposure sites.

Oh, and even IN those highest risk areas where they’re now sending all the Pfizer to vaccinate teenagers, the teachers of those teenagers still aren’t eligible unless they already met some other criteria. They’ve been told to get astra zeneca if they can.

Within the past 3 weeks, the advice regarding astra Zeneca has changed to say anyone can get it after discussion with their doctor, but people are understandably wary, and especially those who thought they would be getting Pfizer soon - the wait between doses is significantly smaller. I tried to book in an appointment for AZ and the one place near me that has it before the end of august told me I needed to have a signed referral letter from my doctor clarifying that I understand the risks and have been informed about symptoms to watch out for. I’m the daughter of scientists and have read the statistics, I know it’s a 1 in a million chance of blood clot problems, but with all the conflicting advice and warnings it’s hard not to feel nervous. 

Maybe this should have gone in the other thread, but I’m so pissed at our government.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 4
  • Love 5

Unfortunately I don't think they get it.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 8
  • Love 1

The lawsuit the Missouri AG filed against St Louis over a mask mandate  is bumping over to federal court.

• Thank You 7

1 hour ago, Smee said:

The appointments being cancelled are outside of Sydney, but when they said vaccines would be redirected from “regional and rural nsw” I thought they meant low risk areas, not the next local government area up the coast from known exposure sites.

I am so angry about this newest development. The Sydney lockdown is still insufficient to contain the virus, and now they can't even work out how to do HSC exams safely? I mean seriously here, wtf?  Space out desks, have fewer people per testing facility, require masks, do it online if necessary. What is so effing hard about this?? If schools are still closed you can have 10 students per classroom doing in person, there are so many bloody options here.

I would be less angry (...maybe) if there was a harder lockdown across Sydney, including restricting travel to regional areas for things like buying houses. I get that people don't want to buy houses unseen, or even with Facebook walk throughs - so don't. Hold off until in person walk throughs are possible again. I get that people own property that needs to be maintained - so organise with a local real estate agent or lawn care company or brush cutting company to do it and stay the hell home yourself.

One of my biggest fears in this is that there will be a super spreading event in a regional area and the local hospitals will be overwhelmed very quickly. There's not enough ICU beds, and not enough transport services to get deteriorating patients to metro hospitals with more ICU facilities. Redirecting vaccines from regional areas  so students can sit in person exams is a freaking poor response.

• Upvote 9

:shakehead:

• Sad 10
  • WTF 4