IGNORED

Coronavirus 6: The Plague of Delta

Coconut Flan

My mayor is directing his Facebook followers to the doctors in our region who will prescribe drugs like hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin for Covid. :doh:

• Disgust 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • WTF 10

The kids have gone back to school in my area (which is largely blue and seems to generally care about public health) and there are already COVID outbreaks.

I've started double-masking or wearing a KN95 when indoors around others.

• Upvote 8

From today's county update:

Of the 49 deaths, 12 were 80 years of age or older, 13 were in their 70s, 12 were in their 60s, seven were in their 50s and five were in their 40s.

“These deaths are very tragic because they could have been prevented,” said Wilma J. Wooten, M.D., M.P.H., County public health officer. “We now have very safe and effective vaccines against COVID-19. These deaths should not have occurred.”

Most of the deaths being reported now have been San Diegans who were not vaccinated.

Overall there is no excuse.  It's horrible, but it doesn't have to happen.  

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

I've started double-masking or wearing a KN95 when indoors around others.

I've been all KN95 or N95 since around the first of July.  In June I had regressed to surgical masks.  No more.  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Howl said:

I wish the House would drag fuckerberg's ass up to the house and tell him look dipshit, fix this or expect much, much worse from the US government.  They need to stop handling him and his ilk with kid gloves and let him know how done the country is with his horseshit.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I wish the House would drag fuckerberg's ass up to the house and tell him look dipshit, fix this or expect much, much worse from the US government.  They need to stop handling him and his ilk with kid gloves and let him know how done the country is with his horseshit.

The fact that Facebook blocked all media content in Australia, both local and overseas, indicates that they could do it pretty easily. They know whose websites are being shared, and who the individuals are profiting off this. They could make it considerably harder for them to operate.

• Upvote 3

Translation: New study in Lancet Infectious Diseases
The probability of #LongCovid in the case of breakthrough infection (after double vaccination) is reduced by around 50% compared to infection without vaccination protection. This is good news - but it remains a risk.

Edited by Smash!
  • Thank You 7

1 hour ago, Smash! said:
The probability of #LongCovid in the case of breakthrough infection (after double vaccination) is reduced by around 50% compared to infection without vaccination protection. This is good news - but it remains a risk.

Well, damn. I had hoped for better odds than that. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

I think we’ll see more stories like this. 

Mark McConnaughey was a guy you could count on for anything, according to his long-time friend and doctor Mike Zaruba.

KETV reports two weeks ago, when the 57-year-old needed care beyond what the Nemaha County Hospital could provide, Zaruba, a board-certified ER doctor, said they could not find any help available in Nebraska.

"At best count, we called 23 different hospitals," Zaruba said. "It was just phone call after phone call where you're being rejected."

Zaruba said they found a hospital in Des Moines after several hours.

They said he died 18 hours after arriving in Des Moines, which was close to 200 miles away.  Doctors don’t know if he could have been saved if they got him an ICU bed sooner but said the delay did not help him. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6
  • Thank You 2

My husband got his first contact trace call today - oh, joy!  He’s supposed to quarantine for up to ten days.  He visited his mother’s assisted living facility yesterday, which is where someone apparently tested positive.  Glad we stocked up on beer and other essentials a couple days ago. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

How many stories like that does it take to get people to get vaccinated?  I can't find any way to understand the dance with death that people are willing to do and I have a set of friends who are doing it.   They are out shopping as I type.

2 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

My husband got his first contact trace call today - oh, joy!  He’s supposed to quarantine for up to ten days.  He visited his mother’s assisted living facility yesterday, which is where someone apparently tested positive.  Glad we stocked up on beer and other essentials a couple days ago. 

The inconsistencies.  A visiting nurse and two employees at mom's facility tested positive.  They were all fully vaccinated and are asymptomatic.  The facility itself is on quarantine due to the three positives, but I asked and no need for me to do anything.  In fact, since mom is on hospice I'm still allowed to visit indoors as long as I'm masked.  

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

The inconsistencies.  A visiting nurse and two employees at mom's facility tested positive.  They were all fully vaccinated and are asymptomatic.  The facility itself is on quarantine due to the three positives, but I asked and no need for me to do anything.  In fact, since mom is on hospice I'm still allowed to visit indoors as long as I'm masked.  

It is a little confusing.  The facility is on lockdown starting this morning, and my husband was told to stand by for further instructions re: testing.  He may have been in the area where the individual was working.  We’re glad they called with the notification, but he’s not really sure what he’s supposed to do.  He’s fully vaccinated and will monitor for symptoms.  :confusion-shrug:  We were supposed to get our flu shots today.  Hmmmm. 

• Upvote 5

Just found out my vaccinated 31 YO son (second dose in May) has tested positive after attending an out of town wedding. We did see him last week, so after his likely exposure. He’s doing OK.

• Upvote 3
  • Love 9

So I had to go to an officer's meeting for my women's club this week and one of the women there mentioned that she had been fully vaccinated for covid but got it anyway and was quite sick. She says she's not getting another shot. I just shake my head and think if you hadn't been vaccinated we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. She is over 80.

• Upvote 9

Learned at the beginning of the week that the one member of my group at work who wasn’t vaccinated tested positive.  He had traveled with a sibling and had been out.  The sibling tested positive first.  I was t exposed to him after his return from vacation because I was out in my own the day he returned.  

earlier in august we had a death of someone who works across town at work.  In her early 30s.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 4

8 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I think we’ll see more stories like this. 

They said he died 18 hours after arriving in Des Moines, which was close to 200 miles away.  Doctors don’t know if he could have been saved if they got him an ICU bed sooner but said the delay did not help him. 

Same here unfortunately, although I am really hoping not. Regional hospitals don't have capacity, and if metro ones are also overloaded then they're looking at interstate transfers. This happens fairly routinely for some specialities, but usually in a more managed way e.g. there were no high risk maternity beds available in my state when I was initially hospitalised at a lower level hospital, and discussion about transferring me interstate - and then my friend, who I later met in NICU, gave birth and I got a local bed. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

Same here unfortunately, although I am really hoping not. Regional hospitals don't have capacity, and if metro ones are also overloaded then they're looking at interstate transfers. This happens fairly routinely for some specialities, but usually in a more managed way e.g. there were no high risk maternity beds available in my state when I was initially hospitalised at a lower level hospital, and discussion about transferring me interstate - and then my friend, who I later met in NICU, gave birth and I got a local bed. 

I think in normal circumstances they would sent him up to Omaha (University of NE or Creighton) or down to Kansas City.  Or even over to Lincoln.  I'm guessing those beds were largely taken up by anti-vax/mask dips of shit and they were among the 23 hospitals that turned him away cause they couldn't accommodate him due to aforementioned dips of shit.  I am at the point where I think those who were eligible for vaccine but turned it down should just be given medicine to make them comfortable and sent the fuck home.  Others should not have to suffer because of how selfish they were in refusing the vaccine.

And I don't mean those who can't take it for valid medical reasons.  I mean those who come up with bullshit excuses why they can't take the vaccine then think they're supposed to be first in line.  If it makes me an awful human being so be it. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

12 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I am at the point where I think those who were eligible for vaccine but turned it down should just be given medicine to make them comfortable and sent the fuck home. 

Or maybe directions to their local farm supply/feed store.

• Upvote 5

47 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Will no one think about the horses?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

Yeah that works too. 

• Upvote 4

Mr SP and I went for PCR testing this morning since we were recently with our son who tested positive yesterday. All 3 of us were fully vaccinated.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 11

On 9/3/2021 at 2:04 AM, Smash! said:

I'm glad to read this, as my concern for myself is as much or more about long Covid as it is about the initial illness.

I agree that 50% is still an uncomfortably low number, but I did recently see where Fauci said he thought the booster shot #3 would then provide durable protection.  Please let this be true.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

Fauci said he thought the booster shot #3 would then provide durable protection.  Please let this be true.

I'm hoping, too.  I've had the third already and would dearly like to think I'm done.  I'm not counting on it though.  I did experience a similar relief and feeling of safety after the third as I did the second.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

@church_of_dog Same. If Covid had no potential of long term consequences I wouldn‘t care as much about getting it now because I‘m double vaxxed. I‘m very scared of ME/CFS since I know first hand how this disease destroys the life of those getting ill. 

I‘m hoping the 3rd dose will be enough as well! 

@SassyPants Fingers crossed that you and your SO are negative!

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

• Coconut Flan locked this topic