IGNORED

Coronavirus 6: The Plague of Delta

Coconut Flan

I just went and got my first-ever covid test an hour ago, because I'm slightly congested and lightheaded.  I'm fully vaxxed and have been pretty cautious (and a natural hermit), but still.

Hoping I'm just overworrying.  

• Love 11

I

17 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

I just went and got my first-ever covid test an hour ago, because I'm slightly congested and lightheaded.  I'm fully vaxxed and have been pretty cautious (and a natural hermit), but still.

Hoping I'm just overworrying.  

I spoke with a relative this morning who lives in California. She has what seems to be a case of RSV. (I didn't know that adults could get RSV.) She is fully vaccinated and took a Covid 19 test which came back negative. She was cuddling a friend's baby (asymptomatic at the time) who was diagnosed with RSV the next day. (Baby is doing fine now.) My relative is having quite an unpleasant time with the RSV and jokes that she would probably be feeling better if she had gotten Covid 19 since she is fully vaccinated.

There are a lot of nasty viruses out there. 

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

Mr. No and I have been fully vaxed since beginning of May  Mr. No might qualify for third dose soon assuming if they roll out the third doses like they did last time (immunocompromised, health care workers, etc.) 

Third doses are available for immunocompromised in certain categories.  I had it this morning.  No waiting at the pharmacy just fill out a couple pages.  So far no side effects, but I think it's too early.   Give me three or four more hours.

7 minutes ago, FiveAcres said:

(I didn't know that adults could get RSV.)

Yes, adults can get RSV.  It's usually like a cold, but can be fatal in the elderly.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

Phew, negative for covid!

Now to sleep and hydrate my way through whatever I do have...

• Love 19

Spoiler

Because of the times we live in, my first thought was to wonder what percentage of the population will refuse to comply in the name of liberty. :shakehead2:

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

25 minutes ago, Cartmann99 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Because of the times we live in, my first thought was to wonder what percentage of the population will refuse to comply in the name of liberty. :shakehead2:

Have an emergency tariff on water that increases the cost 10 x. Give a rebate to households that cut their water usage to 50% of their normal usage. 

• I Agree 2

3 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

I spoke with a relative this morning who lives in California. She has what seems to be a case of RSV. (I didn't know that adults could get RSV.)

I didn't either, until a week or two ago facebook started seeding my feed with ads for an RSV study for adults 60+.

We've were going to have dinner with a friend tonight but she called and cancelled.  She's had potential exposure to a friend & her friend's two kids who have breakthrough COVID, so she's quarantining.

• Upvote 6

6 hours ago, Alisamer said:

am disappointed that this mess had seemed to be improving, and then is suddenly getting worse again

I feel you on that, sigh. One of the reasons I was very concerned about how slowly our vaccine rollout was progressing at Easter time was knowing that there is a seasonal component, which was masked in the first wave through sheer force of numbers but which had just been confirmed at that time.  We are still at very low numbers for fully vaccinated, which is not ideal, although we've reached 51% for first dose (... finally). Not due to refusal, supply and rollout issues mostly, and whether you've been vaccinated depends a lot on where/who you are (also not ideal). 

@JuanitaBanana just wanted to add that AZ shows good response against the different strains, and looks like it doesn't need boosters as well. Good luck, and hope it's not too stressful.

4 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

I

I spoke with a relative this morning who lives in California. She has what seems to be a case of RSV. (I didn't know that adults could get RSV.) She is fully vaccinated and took a Covid 19 test which came back negative. She was cuddling a friend's baby (asymptomatic at the time) who was diagnosed with RSV the next day. (Baby is doing fine now.) My relative is having quite an unpleasant time with the RSV and jokes that she would probably be feeling better if she had gotten Covid 19 since she is fully vaccinated.

There are a lot of nasty viruses out there. 

I was listening to "This Week In Virology" podcast during the week, and apparently RSV is surging globally, no one knows why. I haven't gone back to read the references yet, but this will not help the paediatric ICU bed situation at all. Also reports of covid-19 co-infection with RSV (honestly part of the reason I haven't read the references yet was just... overwhelming information triggering post-NICU emotional crap for me. Child had monoclonal antibodies for RSV in first two years because he was high risk, then was hospitalised with it when he was 2, fortunately only a week and even more fortunately only high dependency bed, not PICU (no beds, but he was only on 50% oxygen so could go HDU). Still no vaccine for RSV.)

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 7

11 hours ago, Cartmann99 said:

:shakehead:

Ashton Pittman's next tweet for the win: "The people who called those of us who got vaccinated 'sheep' are literally taking horse and cow deworming meds. I cannot stress enough how udderly bizarre this timeline is."

Not to mention that the dosing is for animals averaging 1,000 to 2,000 lbs.  Sincerely hope no one dies from this idiocy. 

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 4
  • Thank You 1

34 minutes ago, Howl said:

Ashton Pittman's next tweet for the win: "The people who called those of us who got vaccinated 'sheep' are literally taking horse and cow deworming meds. I cannot stress enough how udderly bizarre this timeline is."

Not to mention that the dosing is for animals averaging 1,000 to 2,000 lbs.  Sincerely hope no one dies from this idiocy. 

Yeah I'd like to know what fucking idiot started that idea that taking medicine meant for large animals like horses and cows is a good idea.  I hope it doesn't become a situation of a bunch of idiot Branch Trumpvidians cleaning out farm supply stores of this medicine and causing shortages.

Meanwhile Dr. Gupta had this to say about COVID-19

As we prepare to head into our second fall with the coronavirus, it's admittedly a strange time. On the one hand, the situation is better than last year, primarily because we have vaccines that are doing a terrific job of protecting the roughly 60% of Americans who are eligible and fully vaccinated, and to some extent, the additional 10% who have gotten their first dose.

But things are also worse, mainly because the very contagious and possibly more dangerous Delta variant currently makes up about 99% of the coronavirus in circulation in the United States. The Delta variant has caused an uptick in infections, hospitalizations and, sadly, deaths, especially in parts of the country where vaccination rates are lagging. To add to this worrying trend, serious disease requiring hospitalization is affecting younger and healthier age groups, including children.

What's becoming clear is that we, locally and globally, are not going to be able to stamp out the coronavirus completely. Experts predict it's going to become endemic, possibly joining the other four or so common cold coronaviruses in circulation.

"We're not going to eradicate this coronavirus like we've done with smallpox; it is something that I think is going to settle into a more seasonal pattern, like the flu and colds ..." said Linsey Marr, professor of civil and environmental engineering at Virginia Tech and an expert in the transmission of infectious diseases via aerosols.

Fucking hell of it is that if not for all the former guy disciples fighting prevention measures every step of the way we'd probably be at that point now.

• Upvote 7

Side effects from dose 3 were about 1/4 of dose 2 for me in level of discomfort and duration.  Yippee!!  Don't be afraid of the boosters.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 4

On 8/19/2021 at 11:49 PM, Smee said:

No one is going to hate you ❤️ It’s scary when there’s so much talk in the media. I’m 33 and getting my first dose of AstraZeneca tomorrow, and I keep reminding myself:

1) lots of health care workers here (Australia) got it before the very rare blood clot risks became known

2) millions of doses have been given without issues, and it continues to be offered in places like the UK

3) I have taken other medications, such as the pill, with a higher risk

4) the risk of death or serious illness from covid is much much higher than the risk from the vaccine.

I understand that when you’re feeling scared, the logical answers aren’t necessarily enough to give you courage. But I’m here cheering for you and sending virtual hugs. And I’ll come back in a few days to let you know how my AZ vaccination went!

@JuanitaBanana, the above are excellent points, but I wanted to add that the age guidance for Astra Zeneca seems to be different in different countries. Here (Canada) they revised the age several times as more information came in and as the risks were further studied. By the time I got the AstraZeneca shot, the guidance was that it was safe (for those without other risk factors) for those over 30.  I believe they have lowered the age further since then.

In any case, if you are still anxious, is it possible to go to your doctor to confirm that you have no other risk factors? 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Side effects from dose 3 were about 1/4 of dose 2 for me in level of discomfort and duration.  Yippee!!  Don't be afraid of the boosters.  

That's good to know, as I'll be eligible in December for my booster. I did find out that a coworker was sent home for having a sore throat, and can't come back until the Covid test is negative. We were all vaccinated, but that person wasn't as diligent as the rest of us have been when it comes to social distancing on the metro rail. One of the reasons I drive to work is not just because of the pandemic, but the train doesn't cut my commute short enough to make it worth the monthly pass and paying to park at the station.

As for me, I'm not worried about catching Covid as I didn't work that closely with that coworker, and I'm vaccinated. I also keep my distance and never stopped wearing a mask in crowded places.

Edited by ADoyle90815
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

@JuanitaBanana, the above are excellent points, but I wanted to add that the age guidance for Astra Zeneca seems to be different in different countries. Here (Canada) they revised the age several times as more information came in and as the risks were further studied. By the time I got the AstraZeneca shot, the guidance was that it was safe (for those without other risk factors) for those over 30.  I believe they have lowered the age further since then.

In any case, if you are still anxious, is it possible to go to your doctor to confirm that you have no other risk factors? 

I didn't know that Canada was using Astra Zeneca in younger people. That makes me feel a little better. Thank you! 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Howl said:

You're more on point than you knew:

image.png.719d2b4ee21fd67ef8b60763d6b1887c.png

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, mamallama said:

You're more on point than you knew:

image.png.719d2b4ee21fd67ef8b60763d6b1887c.png

Natural selection.  Hope they don't clog up the ERs too badly.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

1 hour ago, ADoyle90815 said:

As for me, I'm not worried about catching Covid as I didn't work that closely with that coworker, and I'm vaccinated. I also keep my distance and never stopped wearing a mask in crowded places.

I was just reading a poster on another forum who baffles me.  We're at horrible levels of spread in most of the country and she posted people are acting normal around this area.  We have to keep living our lives.    That's so ironic because without precautions, many people will have their lives cut short.  

Is going out and mixing with people important enough to risk death?  That's what it literally is for me.  Eating out unmasked would be me gambling with my life.   

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 10

31 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

That's so ironic because without precautions, many people will have their lives cut short.  

Is going out and mixing with people important enough to risk death? 

We just canceled vacation plans and decided against attending a wedding.  I told my husband it’s going to be another season of isolating for us.  Our neighbors that just came down with Covid (both vaccinated) are likely going to survive, but they are coughing their lungs out and suffering horribly.  They were told to stay home since they aren’t in dire enough condition to be hospitalized (though if there wasn’t a shortage of beds, they might have been eligible in years past).  They are basically alone dealing with this, since they can’t chance exposing others.   It’s a good reminder to us to stay safe and away from others for awhile longer.

Excuse me while I freak out.  I’m normally fairly calm, but it’s really close to home with this one.  😷 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 12

2 minutes ago, CTRLZero said:

Excuse me while I freak out.  I’m normally fairly calm, but it’s really close to home with this one.  😷 

I think it’s normal to freak out in this situation. 💛 Delta is a whole new and more aggressive ballgame and it starts to show.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

Is going out and mixing with people important enough to risk death?  That's what it literally is for me.  Eating out unmasked would be me gambling with my life.   

I was talking to my parents yesterday - they live in a regional area which until today was at a lower level of restrictions than Melbourne. Cafes there are having to check IDs because people are driving from Melbourne via back roads to the regions to have a sit down coffee. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to being able to sit in a cafe too, but it's not not important enough for me to put people in those areas - which have had less vaccination opportunity and supply than Melbourne - at risk. 

• Upvote 9

A radio host who mocked vaccines has died of COVID-19.

Phil Valentine, a Nashville-based conservative radio talk show host who had questioned whether it was necessary for all people to get Covid-19 vaccines, died on Saturday, his employer, WWTN Radio, announced on Twitter. Valentine was 61 years old.

His death comes more than a month after the host first announced he had been diagnosed with Covid-19. On his program, Valentine had repeatedly downplayed the importance of getting a vaccine against the virus, saying last December that he believed his personal odds of dying from Covid-19 were "probably way less than one percent."

But his message changed in late July when his family announced that Valentine had been hospitalized in "very serious condition" and was suffering from "Covid Pneumonia and the attendant side effects."

• Upvote 10

Just coming back to update that I had my first dose of AZ yesterday and aside from a sore arm and a headache this morning, so far so good 😊 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 13

Another BT anti-mask/vaccine bigwig died.

Greenville County Republican Party leader Pressley Stutts died Thursday morning after battling COVID-19 for nearly a month. 

Stutts' death was confirmed by Dan Harvell, who represents the Anderson County Republican Party on the South Carolina Republican Party's executive committee.

• Upvote 7

17 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Yesterday marked 2 weeks since Mr. No and I had to spend hours around unvaccinated family because it was his father's funeral.   Both of us wore masks but had to take them off for the luncheon afterward, something we were not comfortable doing because a lot of his family are, quite frankly, among the willfully unvaccinated, believe all the conspiracy theories and are proud of it.   We got through that encounter unscathed but honestly we are going back to take out and do more online grocery shopping.

Back in May, after we were both fully vaccinated we took a couple of short trips.  It was weird to go into restaurants, even though there were mask requirements in place, and taking a risk assessment of whether to go in or do take out.  One place no one was wearing masks, but there were only 4 people in the entire place: us, the waitress and grill cook.

Regarding the unvaccinated family members we are unfortunately waiting for Delta to find them, it's only a matter of time.   The real problem is that one of them is Mr. No's sister who visits their mother who is in memory care.   MIL is also unvaccinated.  Mr. No is not happy about that but he's quietly working on his mother.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic