IGNORED

Remnant Fellowship 18: The Irony of the Possibly Overweight Plane

nelliebelle1197

3 hours ago, ManyGoats said:

As far as I know, he was never really "into" the RF church activity. Even back when he and Gwen were married, there was only ever one picture of him on the website. An old black&white of the two of them on the leadership page. He seemed MIA from RF from the beginning. 

In some RF survivors website there are stories of him joining Gwen in love bombing potential cult members and how these people wouldn’t run far away if they had realized he wasn’t really a part of the church. He also defended RF at one point. The man lived the high life while people suffered. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 2

11 minutes ago, rabbitholejulie said:

Actually, the Weigh Down Workshop wasn't the problem (I took it in the 90's and it changed my eating still to this day), it was the add on fake religion that was much later and all of the associated money grabbing.  

I'm intrigued! Can you tell about how it changed your eating to this day? I recently lost a good amount of weight but my habits have trended back toward pre-weight loss and I'm determined not to make those mistakes again.

And if you'd rather not say, please forgive me my bold question!  :) 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, rabbitholejulie said:

Actually, the Weigh Down Workshop wasn't the problem (I took it in the 90's and it changed my eating still to this day), it was the add on fake religion that was much later and all of the associated money grabbing.  

Her weight loss advice is for sure a huge issue. Take out religion and she is still giving disordered eating advice. And he was raking in mountains of money shilling a diet program he wasn’t even using or if he was it wasn’t working. I can’t find it now, but at one point in my deep dive into WD I found an article discussing how he had hired a group to study the effectiveness of Gwen’s teachings, but then he would never release the data. People just had to take his word that the study showed her teachings were effective. 

Gwen taught that wives must submit to their husbands. In all these years of Gwen hurting countless people, David didn’t one time go public saying he wanted his wife to stop and according to her own teachings she must submit. Would it have worked? Probably not, but it would have made Gwen’s life a bit harder. He could have stood up for what is right.  There is zero indication that he would have left Gwen. He seemed perfectly happy with his wife running a cult while he shared in the spoils. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Thank You 3
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

I'm intrigued! Can you tell about how it changed your eating to this day? I recently lost a good amount of weight but my habits have trended back toward pre-weight loss and I'm determined not to make those mistakes again.

And if you'd rather not say, please forgive me my bold question!  :) 

I am a very picky eater, as Gwen would say a "thin eater".  At a restaurant I almost never order an entree (I order an appetizer or small plate) and if I do I only eat half.  I haven't over eaten in decades.  At a buffet (which I avoid) I would only choose the one or two things that really look good.  At home I eat healthy- right now I'm stuck on roasted chicken with rainbow potatoes sheet pan dinner.

So I would say that I eat healthy and eat less than a lot of people.

I had no idea that Gwen started a church until the plane crash.  She used to be normal.

10 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

Her weight loss advice is for sure a huge issue. Take out religion and she is still giving disordered eating advice. And he was raking in mountains of money shilling a diet program he wasn’t even using or if he was it wasn’t working. I can’t find it now, but at one point in my deep dive into WD I found an article discussing how he had hired a group to study the effectiveness of Gwen’s teachings, but then he would never release the data. People just had to take his word that the study showed her teachings were effective. 

Gwen taught that wives must submit to their husbands. In all these years of Gwen hurting countless people, David didn’t one time go public saying he wanted his wife to stop and according to her own teachings she must submit. Would it have worked? Probably not, but it would have made Gwen’s life a bit harder. He could have stood up for what is right.  There is zero indication that he would have left Gwen. He seemed perfectly happy with his wife running a cult while he shared in the spoils. 

My empathy is showing when it comes to David.  I'm married to a prominent, highly respected person who is a total jerk at home.  I stay because I love home (not the house but the comfort of being home) and I'm too scared to go to war with him in a divorce.  And there is no stopping his crazy behavior.  I guess the difference is that he isn't hurting other people like Gwen was...

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 7

24 minutes ago, rabbitholejulie said:

I'm married to a prominent, highly respected person who is a total jerk at home.  I stay because I love home (not the house but the comfort of being home) and I'm too scared to go to war with him in a divorce. 

Thank you so much! To the first topic - eating - I began losing weight when I only ate in reaction to feelings of hunger.  Yes, the growl, or something awfully close to it.  I figured four hours was a decent interval between meals/feeding-times (LOL) and I'd make a note of when i finished, say, breakfast.

Then if I felt hungry, and it had only been 2 hours since I ate, I'd simply review what else could be making me feel like I needed something to eat.  Without fail 99% of the time, it was an emotional issue.  I've been an emotional eater and overeater for most of my life.  So, it sounds as though part of what has worked for you is what worked for me and yes, I'll be back at it!

To the quoted part.  I feel for you.  My ex- is one of those people who charms others and of whom new and medium-term acquaintances say, "Chauncey? He's a doll! I bet your marriage is really strong."  HA, I SAY, HA! A two-faced so-and-so out of 1940s Central Casting.  And I also feel - a bit - for Dave Shamblin in the same predicament.  No more than "a bit" for now, though.

So, thank you and welcome (I hadn't met you before now! I'm probably late to the party) and keep comin' back.  FJ is entertainment, support group, activism "incubator"* all in one.

* "Incubator" is in quotes because I'm in no way endorsing poop-touching born of dialogs that take place here.  But I know that for me, discussions here have galvanized me on several topics to take charge and make change in my little corner of the world.

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 7

33 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Thank you so much! To the first topic - eating - I began losing weight when I only ate in reaction to feelings of hunger.  Yes, the growl, or something awfully close to it.  I figured four hours was a decent interval between meals/feeding-times (LOL) and I'd make a note of when i finished, say, breakfast.

Then if I felt hungry, and it had only been 2 hours since I ate, I'd simply review what else could be making me feel like I needed something to eat.  Without fail 99% of the time, it was an emotional issue.  I've been an emotional eater and overeater for most of my life.  So, it sounds as though part of what has worked for you is what worked for me and yes, I'll be back at it!

To the quoted part.  I feel for you.  My ex- is one of those people who charms others and of whom new and medium-term acquaintances say, "Chauncey? He's a doll! I bet your marriage is really strong."  HA, I SAY, HA! A two-faced so-and-so out of 1940s Central Casting.  And I also feel - a bit - for Dave Shamblin in the same predicament.  No more than "a bit" for now, though.

So, thank you and welcome (I hadn't met you before now! I'm probably late to the party) and keep comin' back.  FJ is entertainment, support group, activism "incubator"* all in one.

* "Incubator" is in quotes because I'm in no way endorsing poop-touching born of dialogs that take place here.  But I know that for me, discussions here have galvanized me on several topics to take charge and make change in my little corner of the world.

I'm an anxious under eater.  

• Upvote 3
  • Love 3

On 7/29/2021 at 7:44 AM, Hane said:

“Minimum one-acre residential zoning”=“Keep Out the Poors.”

It was originally actually to “keep it country” but it certainly has taken a new meaning in the last decades. Bad for developers because they can’t build massive subdivisions and most of the land is spoken for. 

On 7/27/2021 at 8:59 PM, Blue said:

I'm curious about local responses to this...

... I know theres a local pastor who spoke out against Gwen/RF and got sued, but I think it was dismissed? 

Most of the churches around here (mine being one of them) largely ignore Remnant. The people there are kind in passing, but keep to themselves. My friends that live around Remnant people say they decline every invitation to hang out with other neighbors, and only spend time with other Remnant families. The ones that live in my neighborhood are rarely outside. I usually don’t even see them drive in to their driveways, get the mail, work in the garden or anything. Kind of just living like ghosts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 10

9 hours ago, rabbitholejulie said:

My empathy is showing when it comes to David.  I'm married to a prominent, highly respected person who is a total jerk at home.  I stay because I love home (not the house but the comfort of being home) and I'm too scared to go to war with him in a divorce.  And there is no stopping his crazy behavior.  I guess the difference is that he isn't hurting other people like Gwen was.

I guess I just have a hard time having a lot of sympathy for a guy who made millions helping his wife rope people into a weight loss cult. He made out like a bandit in this divorce. When Gwen was tired of him he didn’t seem to have any issues fighting her to take what he wanted. But the people he helped love bomb into joining a cult? They often lost everything. If he had an iota of morality he would spend some of his wealth helping the people he assisted in victimizing. 
I reserve my empathy and compassion for the victims of Gwen and David Shamblin. 

• Upvote 13

2 hours ago, RFIntrigued said:

Most of the churches around here (mine being one of them) largely ignore Remnant. The people there are kind in passing, but keep to themselves. My friends that live around Remnant people say they decline every invitation to hang out with other neighbors, and only spend time with other Remnant families. The ones that live in my neighborhood are rarely outside. I usually don’t even see them drive in to their driveways, get the mail, work in the garden or anything. Kind of just living like ghosts. 

That’s because they are always at church functions ??‍♀️

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2

Curious about this: are Michael and his father David close?  It seems they may be similar in temperament. 

• Upvote 3

I live close enough to know where the building is, but knew nothing about them for years. Only because I have a friend who has family in did I really learn about it. I’m sure the average person around here has zero knowledge.  I’ve only had a couple connections come to light after her death. I have a family member who was absolutely devastated by the passing of the Martins, because they had known them in the pre-cult days. Individual also says David Shamblin is a stand up guy. I had to be really careful about using the word cult in the days immediately after the wreck. It made me realize how close I was to having family in that cult. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 6

8 minutes ago, Howl said:

Curious about this: are Michael and his father David close?  It seems they may be similar in temperament. 

It doesn’t appear that Gwen required her kids to cut their dad off. They seemed to see him regularly.

From what I’ve read about the love bombing parties he helped host, David sounds like a very charismatic person. I’m not sure Michael is.  The bits I’ve seen of him, he doesn’t have that personality that would draw people in like David does. His music videos just make me cringe with second hand embarrassment. 

Being raised by parents like Gwen and David is bound to leave kids with crippling insecurities and a mountain of emotional baggage. The Shamblin kids need years of therapy to recover from their childhood. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

Michael was always the funny and charming one. I met him when I was 21 (around the early 2010) and I instantly gravitated towards him. I see why he’s a cheater. His charm and personality gets all the women ? 

42 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

His music videos just make me cringe with second hand embarrassment.

His music,singing, and music videos are horrible! We can’t forget Michelle’s vocal abilities! And Gwen had the audacity to tell us we shouldn’t listen to outside music! Ma’am, have you heard your children?

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha 8

Well, Gwen did say Remnant music drives Satan away :P If there was a good party the devil might stay. 

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 13

15 minutes ago, WeirdHarold said:

RF's "Days of Awe" are coming.

Another Hebrew roots kinda thing.  It's 40 days at RF, while my Google search suggests 10 days are customary.

The only thing that stands out is how RF prefers law over grace, and seems enamored with Judaism.

From the above link

The first level of repentance lasts for 30 days and is a time of introspection, knowing that we are in need of change. After 30 days of looking inward and examining their actions and the motives of their hearts, Remnant Fellowship members will observe the Day of Trumpets on September 11th. The Day of Trumpets marks the beginning of the last ten days, in which God sounds the trumpet louder, and the repentance and reverence before God grows deeper.

"...we are in need of change." Is this meaning each individual or are they priming the pump for change to the church? And seriously, the day of trumpets will be on 9/11? Good grief they really don't seem to care about optics. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 3

FTR,  Rosh Hashana (you know - the actual Jewish holiday) starts at sundown on September 6 this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

2 hours ago, WeirdHarold said:

The only thing that stands out is how RF prefers law over grace, and seems enamored with Judaism.

And yet Gwen would preach against legalism and rules. Very contradictory and confusing. Hard to refute nonsense.

10 hours ago, RFIntrigued said:

Most of the churches around here (mine being one of them) largely ignore Remnant.

I'm praying for God to put people in RF lives to be friends with them and talk to them about what the Bible actually says - whether they end up believing the gospel or denouncing their faith. But what they believe is not what the Bible teaches. Bad theology hurts people. Churches do outreaches to other cults. Why not Remnant? It'd be nice at least for another church to be a place where they can go after leaving to start the process of healing.

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, My Fam in RF said:

And yet Gwen would preach against legalism and rules. Very contradictory and confusing. Hard to refute nonsense.

I'm praying for God to put people in RF lives to be friends with them and talk to them about what the Bible actually says - whether they end up believing the gospel or denouncing their faith. But what they believe is not what the Bible teaches. Bad theology hurts people. Churches do outreaches to other cults. Why not Remnant? It'd be nice at least for another church to be a place where they can go after leaving to start the process of healing.

I know this isn't the correct answer, but RF is very litigious ? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • WTF 1

5 hours ago, My Fam in RF said:

Hard to refute nonsense.

This is makes me ?and ?simultaneously when I am there. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

3 hours ago, Blue said:

I know this isn't the correct answer, but RF is very litigious ? 

Sounds like "C" of Scientology?!

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

From the above link

"...we are in need of change." Is this meaning each individual or are they priming the pump for change to the church? And seriously, the day of trumpets will be on 9/11? Good grief they really don't seem to care about optics. 

Well Remnant has some history with 9/11, this old thread title and the comments that inspired it are awe-inspiring in their wtf-ery.

• Thank You 5

Today in Reducing Jesus to a Not-Eater, Gwen claims that doing God's will was all about waiting for the Growl for Jesus. All that God wants for you is not to eat when you're not hungry. To prove her point, she quotes a Bible story in which the disciples asked Jesus to eat something, and he said no because he had not heard the Growl. He wanted to do God's will, and God said he would get fat if he ate now. All Jesus wanted to do was to find a way to escape food and push it away.

What, you're saying? There is no such story in the Bible? Are you sure? But Gwen said so!

Well, maybe you can read it and decide for yourself if you think Gwen's Thinterpretation is correct.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John 4&version=NIV

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thank You 4

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Today in Reducing Jesus to a Not-Eater, Gwen claims that doing God's will was all about waiting for the Growl for Jesus. All that God wants for you is not to eat when you're not hungry. To prove her point, she quotes a Bible story in which the disciples asked Jesus to eat something, and he said no because he had not heard the Growl. He wanted to do God's will, and God said he would get fat if he ate now. All Jesus wanted to do was to find a way to escape food and push it away.

What, you're saying? There is no such story in the Bible? Are you sure? But Gwen said so!

Well, maybe you can read it and decide for yourself if you think Gwen's Thinterpretation is correct.

And all this time I thought Jesus came to save us from sin…

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

With all the serious wrongs in this world, we're supposed to believe that what concerns God and Jesus the most is people to avoid eating until they are hungry or hear the growl?  The amount of mind-twisting it must take to believe this is the most important thing to God is sad and depressing.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic