IGNORED

Bro Gary Hawkins 18: Bro In My State...State of the Bro

samurai_sarah

In honor of Gary's anniversary I took the liberty to add linebreaks to make this rhyme. Happy churchday Gary.  May your weens be pink and the hay men plentiful

kuva.png.4bb8385e05e9beb0e784500bb358508b.png

OK folks the LORD Saved me 22 years ago.

I get to go to Church

and Sing about my LORD

I get to go to Church

and Preach about my LORD.

Thank you LORD

for Saving my soul 22 years ago.

Bro Gary Hawkins

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 11

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

May your weens be pink and the hay men plentiful

:laughing-rollingred:

It rains haymen, hallelujah, it rains haymen . . .

The video that is posted, from Born Again Baptist Church in Harlem GA, is only 25 minutes long. Hmmmmm . . . I wonder why. When it begins, the pastor is finishing a prayer list, and then they all drone Near the Cross.

Then Gary moans his prayergasm while the pastor prays.

Up until now, the church has looked like this:

Spoiler

image.png.f3962389107f2e21fab6042dba33e7bb.png

After the prayer, the pastor says "Make somebody welcome," and walks off. it sounds like they have a piano-accompanied greeting session, and the lights gradually come up:

Spoiler

image.png.b445fb97586cd390313cc47cf1a739cc.png

When the pastor comes back, the lighting changes again.

OK, I get it - up to a point. But turning the "house lights" up so people can see their neighbors, then down again to get them to re-focus on the stage, is definitely from the realm of entertainment, not worship. You'd think this guy would be against it.

Not to mention that the dais is also dark when the lights go down again, so it's not like the darkened pew area draws attention to the front.

They drone Leaning on the Everlasting Arms, and someone says a pre-offering prayer while I shake off my Night of the Hunter association. Gary moans, the pastor paces, the piano starts, and the collection is taken. Some of the money is brought up by two little girls who are dressed identically, and skip away identically to return to the pews, after one of them hugs the pastor.

The pastor says (I missed some of this when he got quiet or gary moaned over him): "Y'all continue to pray for us. We got our fingerprints done Tuesday, and do now all we're waitin' on is a court date, 'n' the adoption will be finalized. Amen. And your name'll be changed. She's gonna be part of our family, part of this church's family, 'n' y'all pray for the next step in their life, _______ (? something about children and the kingdom of God) I want them to be saved, by the grace of God, more important than an earthly - more important than an earthly adoption is a heavenly adoption, whereby we cry 'Our Father,'I wanna see 'em give their lives to Jesus Christ, wanna see 'em have good homes and good families, and if God calls 'em to marry a preacher, give 'em a lot of patience."

Someone chuckles.

I have no idea who is being adopted, but I can't help imagining it's those little girls. Poor kids.

They all drone Heaven Came Down, then there's another prayer, while Gary moans.

Gary comes up, does his "How many glad to be in church" bit, then there are several  minutes of the pastor finding a working microphone for Becky. I fast-forward, but hear some laughs and yells of agreement during Preach On.

Gary does another canned bit we've heard dozens of times: America needs preachin', "Paul said the foolisnness of preachin' - not foolish preachin' - the foolishness of preachin'," preachin', according to the old timers, will get you right or make you leave.

And, as he is talking about his evangelism and his tent, the video cuts off.

As of this post, there is nothing else on Gary's or Becky's Facebook, and the church doesn't seem to have a Facebook page. So they must not have realized it happened until it was too late to capture Gary's words of wisdom on his salvation anniversary.

Gary, I think you are getting a sign from God. I think the message may be "I saved you 22 years ago today, and this is what you did with it? Go get a job."

• Haha 1
  • Thank You 15

20 hours ago, thoughtful said:

I moved my weens from the freezer to the fridge - I'm ready.

I bought cocktail franks on the grounds that they had skins on and the hot dogs we already had didn't, so went with the redder option.

Came home to find that husband and son had eaten all the franks and all the hotdogs (seriously... how?!) so I "celebrated" Gary's redemption with toast. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 11

6 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

Came home to find that husband and son had eaten all the franks and all the hotdogs (seriously... how?!) so I "celebrated" Gary's redemption with toast. 

Another sign for Gary - but will he listen? Gary, maybe God is trying to tell you, through @Ozlsn and her husband and son's ween-filled bellies, that your ministry is toast (or should be!).

I had my weens - broiled and in wraps - and now I am full, happy, and thirsty!

We had family visiting yesterday (for the first time in a year and a half!), and I was trying to describe Bro Gary and my interest in him. They seemed to think it was a depressing pursuit.  One of them solemnly intoned, "There is a special place in Hell for people who . . .

Spoiler

. . . ruin biscuits and sausage gravy!"

?

His wife wanted to know which of Dante's circles that was, and I wanted to know if he, from his point of view as a Quaker, considered screwing up Jesus' message or screwing up sausage gravy to be worse.

That, plus my explaining how Gary is Mrs. Malaprop cubed, seemed to help them understand a little bit better. But they probably still think I'm nuts for listening to this creep.

Gary preached at People's Baptist Church in Tucker GA tonight. The video starts with the singing of Love Lifted Me, with the pastor making dramatic comments while the organist vamps between verses.

The pastor prays, Gary moans. They sing More About Jesus. Gary comes up and does his "How many glad to be in church?" bit, all the way through, despite getting a healthy "amen!" the first time, and a truly loud one the second time. Idiot.

They sing, finishing with Becky's Preach On.

Spoiler

Becky plays, Gary splays:

image.png.9e81f3957b2296bfc5db24d7cd8cb77d.png

The group applauds. Gary gets up to preach, and, after saying it's good to be there and thanking God for the opportunity, he says he usually doesn't come south in the summer time. "Ah thought me and God had a deal worked out, but ah see ah must've been reeeeal bad, He dropped me back down south where it's hot, amen."

He does his usual introduction - burden for America, prayer cards, Methodists and Catholics have always been wrong, but things have changed so much that, despite being Baptist from the top of his head to the bottom of this feet, he's ashamed of a lot of them, doorknocking.

He says he was looking for a place to stay in Florida because he thought he had a couple of days off. "But the Lord said 'Ah'll  fix that,' amen, and the preacher said 'Ah'm gonna pay for a motel all week, an' ah'm gonna use you,' so, ah know how that is, but that is - hey, that's the ministry, amen? "

He announces John, chapter 11, then tells them it is his spiritual birthday as they are turning pages. And he claims he "got to thinkin'" ? at the motel (so it seems these people, or this morning's people, are also paying for a motel), about what he should preach "on mah spiritual birthday, that'd be a help to me, mah family, and the church that ah'm gonna be in. An' ah got ta thinkin' - what's the Lord done for me? What's the Lord done for me? Chu know what? He has done a lot for me in 22 years of bein' saved. But do you know He did a lot for me before ah got saved? He shoulda thowed me in Hell, amen? He knew how bad a person ah was gonna be, He knew ah was gonna make mistakes an' disappoint Him an' ohn an' ohn we could say with all the things, but He didn't. That's the grace a God amen?"

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john+11%3A1-10&version=KJV

Yeah, "Lazaruth," although it is a different part of the story than usual. Let's see if Gary has a wonderful new inspiration for his SB (spiritual birthday).

Mary told Jesus to come quickly, because "Lazaruth" was dying. Gary, Master of Segues, says "Ah'm tellin' ya raht now, we need some help, because our country's dahin'!"

And he doesn't follow up on that at all. He just goes back to the idea that, just last night, reading this, he thought about how the Lord's been good to him.

He re-reads verse 5 and talks about God's love.

Old crap about love, under a spoiler because there's so much of it:

Spoiler

He's never met a true atheist (he knows this because, as soon as they get in trouble, they say "Oh, God"), he could tell lots of stories of hard times, but he'd rather tell the good things, Jesus loved him 2000 years before he was born, ya might as well take yer halo off, ya ain't as good as ya think ya are, Jesus preached more about Hell than Heaven, but, from what little Gary's heard about Heaven, he likes it, Jesus was beaten upohn, spitten upohn, mowked, and made fun of, God's love is better than worldly love, Gary didn't like people until he got saved

"You know ah think about America listen hey when ah first - when ah go to places - ah was ah was  out in the Indian reservation listen even though the Indian reservation they don't fancify theirself ah know first tahm ah ever went to New York we pulled in there 'n' they had cheap gas 'n' ah said ah maht as well bah some from 'em. But ah mintioned sumpin' about New York an' that Indian man said 'HEY! We're not in New York. This is th'Indian reservation.' But you know what? They're mah people. Amen?"

"Listen, ah know they got this - somebody's got a thing goin' ohn - ah hope ah never meet the gah,  'cause ah wouldn't have a problem tellin' him a few things, amen - but we got somebody goin' around and gittin' a group of people gathered up and say that, uh, Black lahves matter lemme letchu know sumpin' - God done took keera that long tahm ago, and He says that all lahves matter amen?"

Yes, Gary seems to think that there is "a guy" going around gathering up people to say that Black lives matter. He must be busy.

Gary flies into screaming about "whosoever," then asks if he's making sense, and mumbles for a while.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john+11%3A26&version=KJV

God gave Gary everlasting life.

"You know there's a group of people today - 'n' listen hey - it's in the Baptist rem, it's in the Bahble-b'lievin' rem, that b'lieve you kin lose yer salvation."

Gary knows what God said, and he's not afraid to argue about it.

And Gary does his old reliable routine about having all of his heavenly possessions picked out. He also does both his "this flesh don't like reading the bible, going to church," etc. routine, and a few minutes later, is doing his "I want to go to church, read the bible," etc. bit.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john+11%3A34&version=KJV

The Lord come to Gary on His time.

And he does his usual spew about being in church, and the preacher's right hand man, but on his way to Hell, until he got saved, and how God said it was his last chance, on July 11, etc.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john+11%3A40&version=KJV

God opened Gary's eyes.

"You listen to me, an' you listen to me well." I don't know if I've put that in any recaps, but Gary has been saying it a lot lately.

Old crap - Lee Roberson said "If you a hour early for church you a hour late. Whoooooo!" Other stale crap about the old days being better, Dr. Sammy Allen, the one soul that got saved during his week in Maine.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john+11%3A43&version=KJV

God came knocking at Gary's door.

Your casket could be in a nearby funeral home, any of us could die any time, you'd better get saved. The last time he asked "when was the last tahm you was at the altar," he got "ridiculed, rebuked." And he yells his whole explanation of why he was right in that argument.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john+11%3A44&version=KJV

Jesus loosed Gary. And he rants about the lunatic at the graveyard who put his clothes on.

Gary gave up his home for evangelizing, and has only been in his hometown for 30 hours all year, but don't feel sorry for him.

We don't, Gary - we feel sorry for Jacob.

He does some of his crap about not liking funeral homes or graveyards (which I always think is just him trying to put a Godly spin on his being a creeped-out, superstitious dolt).

He tells them the motel will be glad when he's gone, because he's "bombarding" the elevator with gospel tracts.

He reads verse 44 again.

God changed Gary's heart.

He no longer curses or listens to rock and roll or contemporary Christian music, and of course he does his riff about smokestacks and boogie woogie music in church.

While yelling about how he doesn't want people to go to Hell, he says "Mah wahf just gimme some good news 'n'ah'm not gonna say what it is raht now, but ah'm gonna leave it quiet for a little whahl, but mah wahf just gimme some good news a whahl ago about a couple a our chil'ren, ah'm tellin' you raht now, maybe God's fixin' ta do sumpin' great, because hey - ah want people ta see - ah want mah chil'ren ta see that ah'm a different person. Ah want mah wahf to see that ah'm a different person. Ah don't know about cats, but ah sure do want mah dawg to see ah'm a different person! Amen! Ah don't kick it as hard as ah used to, amen. Ya say wha? Ah been changed."

Gary, don't try to be funny.

And now I'm concerned about two of the children doing something Gary would approve of. Maybe it's just something about Caleb and his girlfriend.

AAA won't help you.

Really? I've had batteries charged, tires changed, cars towed - they've helped me. ?‍♀️

"And this - ah cain't never say it - what is the unanimous whatever it is?"

Becky: "Alcoholics Anonymous."

Gary, that's the same organization as AA. So you've now misidentified it by both full name and initials. A true Gary moment.

More old saws - he wants Bahden and Pelosi saved, even though they are destroying the country, so they won't go to Hell, gas prices, Gary never stopped, because God's still in control.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john+11%3A45&version=KJV

God saved Gary.

He tries to quote a verse he's not looking at: "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that thou - yeah, whatever. That's what ah done."

He also rattles off his beloved reptobate verse.

Lots of people have died since Gary woke up this morning - did they all go to Heaven? He's been baptized so many times the tadpoles know his social security number, coming to church won't save you any more than going into a garage will turn you into a vehicle.

"Mah oldest boy's datin' a girl, an' it ain't their fault they not married."

What the hell does that mean, Gary?

"Probl'y what? Three Wednesday nights ago, somethin' lahk that, she was _____ (?) ah know - ah know her Daddy, ah just seen him th'other day, an' she was raised in church, ah know her pasture, very well, ah know an evangelist who comes through that church 'cause ah went to those before ah went into evangelism, she went to church that naht 'n' had a visitin' preacher, 'n' she says she got saved."

OK, I hope that's the "good" news - if so, I guess Gary was just keeping it quiet long enough to make it the bang-up ending to his message. He doesn't sound too convinced, BTW.

The wind down - you better be sure, because Hell is an awful place, the rich man is begging for water, the party's been canceled bumper sticker, Gary doesn't want nobody to go to Hell.

And now, I must tell you about my new hero. This church has a sign language interpreter.

Can you imagine trying to deal with the nonsense that comes out of Gary's mouth, on the fly, and the first time you hear him? At least I get to rewind as many times as needed, and know a lot of his stuff already.

Spoiler

image.png.0cd5a92acc05b50c9a576e490602a04c.pngimage.png.a98261ab6ff9031f2724830b6914a3ee.pngimage.png.894a928104fdf504619b1facafe61fc8.png

image.png.816f2b164b96f18bac6420156b416741.png      image.png.23c4543ff1336478e8826b390120a689.png

They're both pointing to Gary's mansion and street of gold in Heaven, in that last shot.

Here, Gary is saying his everlasting salvation doesn't let him drink and smoke dope and whore around:

image.png.ad45616fb66d6abdadb4288cd83e4b9d.png

image.png.4c68a66dd7f287a6910a1d3a9fb4644b.png

Edited by thoughtful
weird grammar
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • Thank You 9
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Becky plays, Gary splays

OMG that pose is hilarious. All he needs is an ottoman to put his feet up, and a beverage at his right hand.

10 hours ago, thoughtful said:

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that thou - yeah, whatever. That's what ah done."

The place where preaching and laziness intersect.

• Upvote 11

Gary, you gorge on sin, you wallow in it!

Get your prepositions (and capital letters!) under control.

image.png.b60dfe2ba2c11e5398fa75c5f1325791.png

58 minutes ago, Antipatriarch said:

The place where preaching and laziness intersect.

And he had actually named the chapter and verses; Romans 10:9-10. That he has memorized, but his brain stalled halfway through verse 9.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3

On 7/10/2021 at 9:08 PM, Xan said:

I'm confused.  He was only in NC for dinner last night?  He can lounge around for days at some of these little churches but he basically does a hit-and-run visit for his family in NC?

Even if he spent the night in NC, he got up and immediately hit the road to be preaching in GA tomorrow.  He didn't even have lodging worked out for the gig in Florida.  That doesn't exactly give off warm fuzzies about his big family reunion.

My guess is he stopped long enough to have dinner with the family (probably with somebody else paying for it) then headed on to GA to the motel rather than have to stay with family and act like he's not a spoiled, lazy brat. 

Also, so he can keep saying he's only been in his hometown 30 hours all year. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

13 hours ago, thoughtful said:

He says he was looking for a place to stay in Florida because he thought he had a couple of days off. "But the Lord said 'Ah'll  fix that,' amen, and the preacher said 'Ah'm gonna pay for a motel all week, an' ah'm gonna use you,' so, ah know how that is, but that is - hey, that's the ministry, amen? "

I think in spite of Gary talking about how glad he is to be getting so many church invitations that he's beginning to be weary.  He thinks that an hour of yelling at people is hard work and he wants some time off.  Of course, he'd prefer if someone gave him a motel room so he could vacation on someone else's dime.  (Remember that church where Gary posted videos from a folding chair outside the church basement?  It seemed like he was there for a couple of weeks.  I bet that's what he'd like to have fall into his lap again.)

I'm offended that he thinks he has a ministry.  He doesn't.  He doesn't minister to anyone.  He just talks at people.

I feel sorry for that poor woman who was trying to interpret Gary into sign language.  I wonder if she didn't just occasionally give up and sign whatever she wanted.  

• Upvote 11

13 minutes ago, Xan said:

I feel sorry for that poor woman who was trying to interpret Gary into sign language.  I wonder if she didn't just occasionally give up and sign whatever she wanted.  

How do you sign "I have no idea what this guy is trying to say. I don't think he knows either."

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 13
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Xan said:

(Remember that church where Gary posted videos from a folding chair outside the church basement?  It seemed like he was there for a couple of weeks.  I bet that's what he'd like to have fall into his lap again.)

Ah, yes - the extended stay at the church with the goddess bitch (who Gary referred to as "he").

Spoiler

image.png.978236d519f7fd8432e8fa3e792d2c10.png

1 hour ago, Alisamer said:

How do you sign "I have no idea what this guy is trying to say. I don't think he knows either."

There are some good options for meaningless blather here - sort of the ASL version of "blah blah blah" or "yada yada yada.:

https://www.signingsavvy.com/sign/CHATTER/3113/4

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Xan said:

I think in spite of Gary talking about how glad he is to be getting so many church invitations that he's beginning to be weary.  He thinks that an hour of yelling at people is hard work and he wants some time off.  Of course, he'd prefer if someone gave him a motel room so he could vacation on someone else's dime.  (Remember that church where Gary posted videos from a folding chair outside the church basement?  It seemed like he was there for a couple of weeks.  I bet that's what he'd like to have fall into his lap again.)

I'm offended that he thinks he has a ministry.  He doesn't.  He doesn't minister to anyone.  He just talks at people.

Gary’s ideal living situation - a church basement from which he can livestream his hate broadcasts (remember the early days, with the up close and personal shots of his nostrils, his foot, and his torn shirt?), with some poor sucker to take him out for Chinese on a daily basis. Occasionally, he’ll emerge to erect his tent and collect love offerings and praise for his nonsensical rants. 

No idea how the sign interpreter managed to comprehend him, much less translate. She deserves combat pay!

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 6

18 hours ago, thoughtful said:

And now, I must tell you about my new hero. This church has a sign language interpreter.

Oh my gosh, that brings back memories of Garrett Morris on SNL doing “News for the Hard of Hearing”

SNL News for the Hard of Hearing

• Haha 6

20 hours ago, thoughtful said:

fancify

Is that a word?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dana723 said:

Is that a word?

Not really but this is Bro Gary.  He uses words like "reptobate".  The bar is set really low.

• Haha 7

9 hours ago, Alisamer said:

Or “I understand what this doofus is saying about as well as you. Believe me, the ability to hear him is no help”. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, Dana723 said:

Is that a word?

It sounded pretty Garyesque to me, especially with his pronunciation: "fancifah." But Merriam Webster does list it:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fancify

Gary has "another good question."

image.png.4b588f05e7a8c3d0549b1013909f6f64.png

I have no idea if this new obsession with people coming early to church is just because he happened to listen to a Lee Roberson sermon that included the bit about being on time equaling being an hour late and is enjoying quoting it, or he saw someone put money in a box he knew was coming to him because they'd chatted before church, or is just Gary's wandering mind lighting somewhere, like a mosquito.

• Upvote 7

19 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

It sounded pretty Garyesque to me, especially with his pronunciation: "fancifah." But Merriam Webster does list it:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fancify

Gary has "another good question."

image.png.4b588f05e7a8c3d0549b1013909f6f64.png

I have no idea if this new obsession with people coming early to church is just because he happened to listen to a Lee Roberson sermon that included the bit about being on time equaling being an hour late and is enjoying quoting it, or he saw someone put money in a box he knew was coming to him because they'd chatted before church, or is just Gary's wandering mind lighting somewhere, like a mosquito.

What it made me think of is Gary and food.  I think he's figuring that if people are at church all day, those nice church ladies will put out a meal.  Gary does like to eat.

(And that sent my mind down another trail.  Alan Arkin once wrote a song called, "I Like You 'Cause you Don't Make Me Nervous".  It was funny.  At the end, the line was, "And one thing I forgot, you're a very good cook and I certainly love to eat.")

Edited by Xan
  • Upvote 6

Did this actually use to happen? People would just go to church every single day? All day and evenings? Every congregant, or would some go just a couple of times a week, even though it was open every day? What about work, meals as a family, school, homework, chores, recreation? It sounds like a horrible life if there's no life outside of church. I don't think God means for us to have no life at all ?

• Upvote 7

23 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

Did this actually use to happen? People would just go to church every single day? All day and evenings? Every congregant, or would some go just a couple of times a week, even though it was open every day? What about work, meals as a family, school, homework, chores, recreation? It sounds like a horrible life if there's no life outside of church. I don't think God means for us to have no life at all ?

I'm officially old and was raised in a rural area where the church was the main area of social activity.  We were there if there was anything happening.  And - no.  Even in the 50's and 60's the church wasn't open every day.  There was Sunday School on Sunday morning and preaching from eleven until noonish.  On Sunday evening, there were youth services.  On Wednesday night, there was prayer meeting and sometimes they added in a church supper beforehand.  If there was a revival, we might be there every night for about a week.  And, in the summer, there was a week of Bible School and we were there from about nine until lunch.

Gary is still living in a time that never existed.

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

27 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

Did this actually use to happen? People would just go to church every single day? All day and evenings?

I think Gary only meant all day on Sunday. On other days of the week, there were activities at various times, in the times and places when a church was the social hub of a community.

As ever, it's a mix of a few real memories and lots of romanticizing Ye Olden Days, some of which preceded the fundie's life, some of which never happened, some of which was only because there was fuck-all else to do, other than work or getting in trouble.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 3

I grew up in a fairly old-fashioned fundie-lite leaning Baptist church, and no, people didn't hang around all day. We did Sunday school sunday morning, then the service, then everyone shot out of there like bats out of hell trying to beat the methodists to the KFC or other restaurants for lunch! Then there was an evening service, and Wednesday night service. If there was a revival it'd be every night for a week, and VBS would be during the day for a week and then maybe an evening service at the end with singing, skits and awards... something for the parents to enjoy. 

We did frequently have meals on Wednesday nights, and occasional "dinner on the grounds" lunches - basically potluck meals. Loved those! SOOOOO much good food. So if there was a Sunday service followed by dinner on the grounds, then maybe a special singing with a visiting group, some people might be there all day. But it wasn't an every Sunday thing. 

My mom was the pianist/organist, so we were there more since she had to be there for choir practice, quartet, etc. But we also had an excuse to leave sometimes - we had a dairy farm. Cows gotta be milked!

Although now that I think about it there were times when we spent a LOT of time at church - when I was a teen our youth group was large and super active and I helped out a ton in the nursery for events and stuff. So if we had morning services, dinner, business meeting, then everyone socializes for a while and suddenly it's only an hour until handbell practice, followed by youth group, followed by youth choir, maybe puppet group rehearsal... we'd just hang out or go play pool in the church annex (a former funeral home, with one big room for meetings and meals, one storage room with a pool table in it, a teeny kitchen, drink machine, ping pong table - and the parlor kept locked and left EXACTLY as it was when it was a funeral home. I never dared go upstairs). And sometimes we'd walk next door to Hardee's for dinner or go hang out at the youth leader's house. We DID do a lot of socializing at church, especially in summer. But it was because it was fun, and involved very little preaching. 

I'm told my parents' first date was at a church function!

• Upvote 11

My grandparents were part of a very specific ethnic/immigrant group, and the church was the hub of their social life during the 1920s-1960s. The church had (and still has) its own school, so there were people around on weekdays. It also had regularly scheduled activities, such as choir practice (usually Thursday nights in the church I grew up in), Ladies Aid, altar guild, elders meetings, pot luck suppers, youth groups, confirmation classes, etc. I believe there were also Wednesday night prayer services and early service on some weekday mornings. A few services were in German, to serve the needs of this specific congregation. I remember my grandparents discussing whether they wanted to go to German service (German was my grandfather’s first language, and my grandmother was fully bilingual). There were many opportunities for people to participate. But not everyone was there all the time, nor were they expected to be. 

The church I grew up in also had many activities, but it didn’t have the school or the extra services. I was very involved in music, and assisted with Sunday school occasionally, so I was there at least twice a week, more during Advent and Lent. There was a social hour after the main Sunday service, but once everyone had had a cup of coffee and a pastry, they were gone. On weekdays, it could be quiet. However, that didn’t mean it wasn’t an active congregation. 

• Upvote 6

On 7/12/2021 at 6:36 PM, Jasmar said:

Oh my gosh, that brings back memories of Garrett Morris on SNL doing “News for the Hard of Hearing”

SNL News for the Hard of Hearing

Even before I opened the link, I knew it was going to be “OUR TOP STORY TONIGHT, GENERALISSIMO FRANCISCO FRANCO IS STILL DEAD!?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Love 2

• Alisamer locked this topic