IGNORED

Baby Name Thread 4

Coconut Flan

Chris and Courtney Rogers: Claudia Ailynn 

I wish they would name her Coda, which in music is the end. 

Edited by Bassett Lady
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 12:23 AM, Babysitter said:

Jed and Katey: Luke Jedidiah 

This gives me Star Wars vibes 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 9
  • I Agree 1

16 hours ago, CarrotCake said:

This gives me Star Wars vibes 

The kid when they realize the crazy they’ve been born into:

A19736CE-F707-41FE-85FA-31E57A6A5292.webp.80f4bd7df7e2e68e3957c44a07a6f014.webp

• Haha 8

The Willis family called their Jedidiah “Jedi” but the Duggars just called theirs Jed. Maybe because they called his twin Jer. I guess Jed and Jer sound better than Jedi and Jeri. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/20/2022 at 2:07 PM, Sarcastically spinster said:
  Hide contents

266638313_340911660899142_5266790426366153520_n.jpg.81ddcecbdf96648c16520966d1a86d81.jpg

If you need a little help for your guesses.

How sad is it that I know lots of parents whose kids have names that this table can create?

Edited by anjulibai
  • Upvote 2
  • Move Along 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

For Jill and Derick 

Boy: Abel Richard ends in el like Israel and Samuel and Derick’s dad’s name

Girl: Selah Michelle, she liked the name Selah first pregnancies and while she isn’t on the best terms with her mother I can see them using Jill’s middle name for their first daughter. 

• Upvote 8

I think Jill will use Catherine (is that derricks mum's name) as a middle name. I would say Selah (is that pronounced like sailor?) But I can see enough time had passed that they might have moved on.

So I will say Selah Catherine or Ruth Catherine 

Boy Luke Derrick or what ever derricks fathers name or middle name was. 

• Upvote 3

Ezekiel Richard or Wren Michelle

I can see them sticking with Biblical for a boy and going with earthy/boho for a girl. Middle names, Richard for Derick's dad and Michelle because it's Jill's middle name. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I would say Selah (is that pronounced like sailor?) 

It’s pronounced SEE-luh, but can also be said as SAY-luh,(which is basically sailor).

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

For a boy, I could see Jill and Derrick going with Gabriel. For a girl, I think their tastes have changed. Perhaps a nature theme. I would say Willow except Willow Dillard doesn’t flow well. 

• Upvote 3

For Jill and Derek:

Girl

Isla Catherine or Nova Catherine 

Boy

Ezra Richard or Levi Richard 

• Upvote 2

I do think that the Dillards will keep the “el” ending for a boy. I think Ezekiel and Gabriel are both strong choices, but I’ll go with Nathaniel Richard.

I will stick with Selah for a girl. It still sounds pretty and unique but not too “out there.” And if Cathy Dillard’s given name is Catherine,  Selah Catherine sounds good.

• Upvote 6

Jill/Derick:

Boy-Nathaniel Aaron

Girl-Selah Elizabeth

• Upvote 3

On 3/1/2022 at 10:27 AM, Wolf in Sheeples’ Clothing said:

It’s pronounced SEE-luh, but can also be said as SAY-luh,(which is basically sailor).

It's actually pronounced Seh-luh (a short 'eh' sound rather than ee or ay). It's also not a name, but evangelical Christians will evangelical Christian.

Source: I'm Jewish and speak Hebrew. 

On 3/2/2022 at 12:30 AM, ContrastingButtons said:

Boy

Ezra Richard or Levi Richard 

I really hope not. While I can see it happening, I wish those people would tone down the cultural appropriation. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, SweetJuly said:

It's actually pronounced Seh-luh (a short 'eh' sound rather than ee or ay). It's also not a name, but evangelical Christians will evangelical Christian.

I really hope not. While I can see it happening, I wish those people would tone down the cultural appropriation. 

Selah is in the top 400 girls names in the U.S. currently. Ezra is top 50 and Levi is top 20. I don’t think anyone is going to stop using these names just because they are Hebrew names in origin. It’s not only evangelicals using them.

Fun facts: Kanye West and Lauryn Hill both have songs titled Selah. Lauryn Hill also has a daughter named Selah.

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, SweetJuly said:

So like cellar  cell lah 

• Upvote 2

This is a poll on preferred pronunciation of Selah. Not knowing its origins, I would pronounce it as See la. But I think all three pronunciations sound nice. If they don’t mind the initial mispronunciations, I think it’s a nice name.

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.5d32bd1f38e1f3b6eae2aaaaeb13a3b6.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 2

Looking at the Hebrew I agree with @SweetJuly. Randos and nameberry probably aren't exactly a great source lol.

That being said I don't have faith in any Duggar offspring to care much about how to properly pronounce Hebrew words. I'd also bet they'd attach some sort of made up godly meaning to it.

Anyway I'd guess Selah Catherine for a girl and Raphael Richard for a boy.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

Looking at the Hebrew I agree with @SweetJuly. Randos and nameberry probably aren't exactly a great source lol.

That being said I don't have faith in any Duggar offspring to care much about how to properly pronounce Hebrew words. I'd also bet they'd attach some sort of made up godly meaning to it.

Anyway I'd guess Selah Catherine for a girl and Raphael Richard for a boy.

My point was that people can choose to pronounce names any way they want. I wasn’t saying that @SweetJuly was incorrect in how the word is pronounced in its original language. I knew two girls named Caryn: one pronounced Car in and one Care in. I don’t think either of them was wrong.

• I Agree 1

Eh, if it's in the Bible, is it cultural appropriation? The Hebrew Bible/Old Testament is as much as Christian religious text as it is a Jewish one, and Christians have been using names from it nearly since Christianity began. 

• Upvote 4
  • Move Along 1
  • Downvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic