IGNORED

Baby Name Thread 4

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, JDuggs said:

This is a poll on preferred pronunciation of Selah. Not knowing its origins, I would pronounce it as See la. But I think all three pronunciations sound nice. If they don’t mind the initial mispronunciations, I think it’s a nice name.

Hide contents

image.thumb.jpeg.5d32bd1f38e1f3b6eae2aaaaeb13a3b6.jpeg

For that reason alone, I could not name my kid that name.

As pretty as it is. Or any other ambiguous pronounced name, is. If I was as to use it one as a name I would have to use a phonetic spelling of the version I wanted.

Minor for many but it would shit me to tears correcting people on my child's name or answering how it is said for the rest of her life. 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

For that reason alone, I could not name my kid that name.

As pretty as it is. Or any other ambiguous pronounced name, is. If I was as to use it one as a name I would have to use a phonetic spelling of the version I wanted.

Minor for many but it would shit me to tears correcting people on my child's name or answering how it is said for the rest of her life. 

If you read back the last few pages of this thread, aside from my partner, my family’s first names are all covered! 2 of them everyone can spell, 1 of them people get about halfway through and then look confused and 1 of them people get the first letter and then give up! You just get used to it…. 

23 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

My point was that people can choose to pronounce names any way they want. I wasn’t saying that @SweetJuly was incorrect in how the word is pronounced in its original language. I knew two girls named Caryn: one pronounced Car in and one Care in. I don’t think either of them was wrong.

I didn't mean that to come off as arguing with you specifically, just that I don't think the nameberry poll's winner is the actual correct pronunciation. In general I'd agree that people can pronounce names how they want, but it feels a little different when we're talking about taking a word from another language and pronouncing it wrong, especially when that language is so important to the culture it's from like Hebrew is to Judaism. 

I also don't think using the English versions of names from the bible qualifies as cultural appropriation. Like I don't think any non-Jewish person who names their kid Matthew is appropriating Jewish culture, however if they named the kid Mattityahu I'd probably side eye them a bit.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, TuringMachine said:

I didn't mean that to come off as arguing with you specifically, just that I don't think the nameberry poll's winner is the actual correct pronunciation. 

I 100% agree with you. However, I also don’t think there is one “correct” pronunciation of the name. There is a correct pronunciation of the word in Hebrew. I’ve never heard Jill pronounce the name Selah so I don’t know how she would choose to pronounce it.

• Upvote 1

If Jill changes her mind about Selah, I think that Selah Michelle Seewald would be a nice name. It doesn’t go with Fern and Ivy, but Spurgeon doesn’t go with Henry either.

On 3/8/2022 at 2:01 PM, TuringMachine said:

Looking at the Hebrew I agree with @SweetJuly. Randos and nameberry probably aren't exactly a great source lol.

Nameberry is pretty out there with it's naming habits. For example, everyone was hard on Carlin's and Erin's name lists, but those names are already pretty normal by nameberry standards. Even Harbor.

I totally missed Courtney's kid's name. Cambria is pretty at least. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, justmy2cents said:

Rogers #12, Cambria Reed was born on March 7th. No perfect name guesses but @EmiSue came the closest with a guess of Cammie. 

Someone also guessed Camille. I can't remember or find who for the life of me.

16 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Nameberry is pretty out there with it's naming habits. For example, everyone was hard on Carlin's and Erin's name lists, but those names are already pretty normal by nameberry standards. Even Harbor.

I totally missed Courtney's kid's name. Cambria is pretty at least. 

Nameberry is mostly filled with middle and upper middle class white names. It’s very different from the SSA baby name list. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Nameberry is mostly filled with middle and upper middle class white names. It’s very different from the SSA baby name list. 

I'm not sure it's middle and upper class names, as I'm not sure what middle and upper class names are. It's definitely very white though. 

3 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

I'm not sure it's middle and upper class names, as I'm not sure what middle and upper class names are. It's definitely very white though. 

Or it could just be white influencer names. Which I think are basically that same. 

On 3/8/2022 at 5:42 AM, SweetJuly said:

It's actually pronounced Seh-luh (a short 'eh' sound rather than ee or ay). It's also not a name, but evangelical Christians will evangelical Christian.

Source: I'm Jewish and speak Hebrew. 

So what does it mean if it’s not a name? Just being curious.

It looks like we chose a name for our son that is just starting to gain massively in popularity here, at least a slightly different version of the name is. We wanted nothing too “out there” (our last name is already very uncommon), but nothing too popular either. Oh well. 

Technically my son’s middle name isn’t a person’s usual name. Think like “River.” It’s a thing in nature I’ve never seen used as a baby’s name. But now it’s a name! 😛

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

So what does it mean if it’s not a name? Just being curious.

It looks like we chose a name for our son that is just starting to gain massively in popularity here, at least a slightly different version of the name is. We wanted nothing too “out there” (our last name is already very uncommon), but nothing too popular either. Oh well. 

As I understand it, Selah is kind of like Hallelujah. It means praise and it's used in the Psalms in the bible.

Actually according to google, it actually means pause, reflect, and praise. If you see it in the Psalms, you're supposed to have a moment of silence to reflect about what you've read/sang/said and think about God. 

It's naming your kid musical rest. Then again people do name their kids Melody, Harmony, Lyric, and Cadence. I've even heard of Chord as a boys name.

@SweetJuly could be probably explain it better. If she says something different, she's right. 

• Thank You 2

Dillards:

Elias Everest 

Iris Everest

although I agree Selah has to be the top contender, I figured I'd guess something else

Edited by wendy-sparkles
Formatting
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

As I understand it, Selah is kind of like Hallelujah. It means praise and it's used in the Psalms in the bible.

Actually according to google, it actually means pause, reflect, and praise. If you see it in the Psalms, you're supposed to have a moment of silence to reflect about what you've read/sang/said and think about God. 

It's naming your kid musical rest. Then again people do name their kids Melody, Harmony, Lyric, and Cadence. I've even heard of Chord as a boys name.

@SweetJuly could be probably explain it better. If she says something different, she's right. 

That’s a beautiful meaning, IMO, and can see them using it for the meaning. My friend has a grandson named Chord. His dad is a guitarist.

• Eyeroll 1

37 minutes ago, wendy-sparkles said:

Dillards:

Elias Everest 

Iris Everest

although I agree Selah has to be the top contender, I figured I'd guess something else

I like the nod, as Eurocentric as it is, to their first official meeting in Nepal by using Everest. I just did my Wikipedia research in the naming of Mount Everest by the British surveyors in the 1800s. They did prefer to use names that were already in use by the people who lived in the region; however, it didn’t have one common name that dominated. Everest didn’t want his name used because it wasn’t translatable in Hindi. He actually pronounced his name as Eev rist.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 3/8/2022 at 4:12 PM, JDuggs said:

I 100% agree with you. However, I also don’t think there is one “correct” pronunciation of the name. There is a correct pronunciation of the word in Hebrew. I’ve never heard Jill pronounce the name Selah so I don’t know how she would choose to pronounce it.

I think I remember her saying it in an episode when she was pregnant with Izzy, saying that they liked selah for a girl and pronouncing it say-lah. I know other evangelical Christians who’ve used this name and they’ve all pronounced it that way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 3/16/2022 at 5:35 PM, AussieKrissy said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10618399/Couple-real-life-Cheaper-Dozen-family-having-12-children-12-years.html

Isn't this a family that is followed here, I remember Cambria urgh not a fan of that name personal opinion 

Yup, that's Courtney.  I hope that she is done since the last two deliveries haven't gone smoothly.  But... we'll see if there's a surprise. 

Also, for Dillard #3 I predict Emmanuel Peter.  Born July 14th.  9lbs 8 oz. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

My guess for Dill #3 - Gabriel Derick or Richard. Weight, 8-13 and date, no where near JB’s birthday. He already has Fern as his BD twin and certainly doesn’t need any more reason to think he’s special.

Wonder if Michael is ruled out because of M boy #1? Michael Derick or Richard might be nice. I know 3 different families where boy #3 is named for the dad. One is even a Jr.

• Upvote 2

My guess for Dillard #3 is Ezekiel Richard or Andrew Richard 

For Jed & Katey - Jedidiah Jr or Solomon Raymond 

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked and unpinned this topic