IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 17: The Hair Apparant

HerNameIsBuffy

For anyone interested, a few years ago they tried to have Elizabeth and Michael do a version of Gwen’s “You Can Overcome” show. It didn’t last long, and - to me - it’s obvious Elizabeth wasn’t nearly as charismatic as Gwen. Wondering if this is why we didn’t see them today and if this is how things will go from now on...

Link below to YouTube video referenced above:

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 9

4 minutes ago, SuperNova said:

Mother Teresa was a monster. She withheld medication from the sick because she believed in suffering. She tried to walk away but was held in place by the church because she was an icon.

I also don't believe in whitewashing people after they die. If the dead wanted people to speak better of them, then they should have acted better in life. 

She truly was some sort of a sociopath. She was swimming in money, some of which she got from dictators, yet she thought it it was “beautiful” to watch the poor die in agony while lying in filth.

Gwen was bad, but I’m not sure she was Mother Theresa level of bad. MT’s “medical facilities” were so shocking that doctors who managed to see some compared them to conditions found in concentration camps. 

I kind of feel like they are pushing Elizabeth and Michael as leaders because they will be easily controlled by the people who will be really running things. 

• Upvote 16
  • I Agree 8
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The taped messages are telling. I suspect Elizabeth cannot speak live and in person. If she has trouble with that, she will not be able to take over. Gwen’s videos can be watched over and over again for awhile. But Elizabeth will have to be able to speak live to large audiences. That’s why I thought Erin Shamblin would want to step up. Because I believe she’s a better public speaker than Elizabeth. 

Kind of like Rush L’s program went on for awhile with his taped shows? 

• Upvote 10

28 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

She truly was some sort of a sociopath. She was swimming in money, some of which she got from dictators, yet she thought it it was “beautiful” to watch the poor die in agony while lying in filth.

Gwen was bad, but I’m not sure she was Mother Theresa level of bad. MT’s “medical facilities” were so shocking that doctors who managed to see some compared them to conditions found in concentration camps. 

Thanks for telling us that.  I knew MT was bad but I didn't realize exactly how bad she was.  So, I guess points to Gwen for not allowing people to die in agony.  (On the other hand, I doubt Gwen knew much about Mother Teresa either and she still felt that good works weren't important.)

I wonder if, in the future, people will study major religious figures and evaluate how many of them were sociopaths...

• Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, Xan said:

So, I guess points to Gwen for not allowing people to die in agony

Now that I think about it, Gwen did create teachings that allowed a child to die in agony. It seems like these mega-ministers are always awful. I wonder how many of these people are sociopaths. Gwen seemed to have had zero concern for anyone but herself . Even the way she spoke of her pets was chilling. 

• Upvote 16

I’m getting some “veneration of Kim Jung Il” vibes from these speeches.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 2

24 minutes ago, cookingbutterchicken said:

Anyone know is Michael is still overweight?

Yes, double chinned and all. 

• Thank You 5

2 hours ago, RFTies said:

it’s obvious Elizabeth wasn’t nearly as charismatic as Gwen

Does anyone think it's possible she could grow into the role? At least she can string words together to form a coherent sentence.

• Upvote 5

Fundie Fridays latest post has audio of Gwen Shamblins horrifying thoughts on corporal punishment. It includes the statements that if "your children don't fear spanking, then they haven't really been spanked." Yes, Gwen was a monster. 

• Upvote 9
  • Sad 3
  • WTF 3
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, RFTies said:

Link below to YouTube video referenced above

Only watched a few minutes at the beginning.

Interesting that Elizabeth only acknoweldges Gwen -- no mention of David. The video is from 2016 -- had Gwen already split from David at that point?

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 1

15 minutes ago, hoipolloi said:

Only watched a few minutes at the beginning.

Interesting that Elizabeth only acknoweldges Gwen -- no mention of David. The video is from 2016 -- had Gwen already split from David at that point?

I think that before the divorce, David was rarely ever mentioned. It was always all about Gwen. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

7 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

This painting is testimony of how much thought Gwen put in this sanctuary.

Reveal hidden contents

kuva.png.064246f388acfc992138834c19d6c5e7.png

That painting though.  A star of David on the ceiling?

• Upvote 8

It looks like this crash is shining a negative spotlight on RF. I’m not sure it will change the mind of any current members but for anyone looking into RF, there will be a hell of a lot more places calling it a cult. 

This video is from a pilot who had never heard of RF till the crash. His gut reaction was to scream cult. This is a PR nightmare for whoever is actually running RF. 

Spoiler

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 10

6 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

The taped messages are telling. I suspect Elizabeth cannot speak live and in person. If she has trouble with that, she will not be able to take over. Gwen’s videos can be watched over and over again for awhile. But Elizabeth will have to be able to speak live to large audiences. That’s why I thought Erin Shamblin would want to step up. Because I believe she’s a better public speaker than Elizabeth. 

After loosing her Mom & husband unexpectedly I imagine she is hanging by a thread.  I will cut Elizabeth all the slack she needs. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

Typical behavior after a death is to bring food to the grieving family.  So what do you bring to people who diet as part of their religion? 

• Upvote 22
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Hane said:

I’m getting some “veneration of Kim Jung Il” vibes from these speeches.

...as in nobody wants to be the first person to stop praising Gwen?

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 6/5/2021 at 9:51 AM, MamaJunebug said:

True, but there’s a Difference: In Christianity their ramblings are said to point to the coming of the Messiah (aka Jesus of Nazareth),

and in Judaism the same ramblings are studied and speculated upon and parsed as part of the mystery of G-d’s revelations to the people of G-D.

In the case of the RF, neither appears to be the case. Except possibly to emphasize that for behavior (aka disobedience to RF), G-d will smite you beyond smithereens. 

A fair number of the Old Testament prophets were pretty much all about the "the king and/or the people are not following the Lord and will be smited!" Or smote, or whatever the past tense of that is. (I went to write smitten, but that's not it.) In that sense Gwen fitted right in - give it a millennium or so and her words can be equally retrofitted to whatever is needed.

21 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I wonder if they will tone that  down now. Blessings and curses and all that. 

Because if, as RF insists, Joe was a healthy experienced pilot and super careful in plane maintenance and it couldn't possibly be human error because it would make it  Joe's fault, why are  they dead? Did somebody smite them?

Sooner or later I'm going to stop hearing "They went up to heaven in a whirlwind!" from Mendelsson's Elijah while reading this thread. I'm sure the narrative will be God taking them home, whether that was via a whirlwind or a light aircraft. It wouldn't surprise me if the cult starts erasing the crash and starts reframing it as a miraculous disappearance - leaving Elijah aside there was an Ottoman ruler in Egypt who effectively started a despotic cult of personality. When he vanished the narrative of his followers was that God had taken him home - the slightly more cynical modern take is that someone(s) stabbed him, weighed him down and dropped him in the Nile for the crocodiles to dispose of the evidence.

9 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

They know none of the seven would want this moment to be about them.

Are they sure of that? I mean, even Gwen?!

• Upvote 7

For former RF people - did people criticize Gwen or leadership in private ever?

We know one person who would tell us privately that they thought the total adoration of Gwen was gross, but even that person would never criticize Gwen herself.

I'm curious if it's different when you're actively in RF and they aren't constantly in PR mode.

2 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

A fair number of the Old Testament prophets were pretty much all about the "the king and/or the people are not following the Lord and will be smited!" Or smote, or whatever the past tense of that is. (I went to write smitten, but that's not it.) In that sense Gwen fitted right in - give it a millennium or so and her words can be equally retrofitted to whatever is needed.

Sooner or later I'm going to stop hearing "They went up to heaven in a whirlwind!" from Mendelsson's Elijah while reading this thread. I'm sure the narrative will be God taking them home, whether that was via a whirlwind or a light aircraft. It wouldn't surprise me if the cult starts erasing the crash and starts reframing it as a miraculous disappearance - leaving Elijah aside there was an Ottoman ruler in Egypt who effectively started a despotic cult of personality. When he vanished the narrative of his followers was that God had taken him home - the slightly more cynical modern take is that someone(s) stabbed him, weighed him down and dropped him in the Nile for the crocodiles to dispose of the evidence.

Are they sure of that? I mean, even Gwen?!

I was cleaning while listening today, and only caught the first 3/4ths... But I'm absolutely certain that someone used this explaination about one of the deceased today... That they had given everything they had and God took them home to enjoy paradise or something.

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 2

5 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

A fair number of the Old Testament prophets were pretty much all about the "the king and/or the people are not following the Lord and will be smited!"

True enough! 

5 minutes ago, Ozlsn said:

Sooner or later I'm going to stop hearing "They went up to heaven in a whirlwind!" from Mendelsson's Elijah while reading this thread. I'm sure the narrative will be God taking them home, whether that was via a whirlwind or a light aircraft. It wouldn't surprise me if the cult starts erasing the crash and starts reframing it as a miraculous disappearance - l

You could very well be right. 

Slight subject change to Elizabeth.  Surely even the worst of cultists is going to give a pass to a woman who’s lost not just her mother, but her beloved husband and has four children to comfort. Thus the video only. 

Please excuse me if this has been mentioned. I’m comin’ in cold after a day of personal happiness (didn’t think about RF nor Jillrod for hours on end)! 

• Upvote 13

9 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Oh good grief. Mother Theresa fed the poor, Gwen teaches to starve her followers. 

This is a constant theme in all these fundie churches - Gothard, FLDS, RF, etc all preach various versions of "keep sweet"

I think there will be a big fight over the estate. 

The key is whether Gwen had a will or not. Assuming that she did, it would probably be filed for probate quite soon. People talk about fighting over estates, but it’s not that easy to break one. There are only a few grounds and “I don’t like it” isn’t one of them.

One possible wrinkle, since she died in a common disaster with her husband: Tennessee has a simultaneous death law.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 5

2 minutes ago, OK Boomer said:

The key is whether Gwen had a will or not. Assuming that she did, it would probably be filed for probate quite soon. People talk about fighting over estates, but it’s not that easy to break one. There are only a few grounds and “I don’t like it” isn’t one of them.

One possible wrinkle, since she died in a common disaster with her husband: Tennessee has a simultaneous death law.

Interesting (just read up on simultaneous death law). 

I'm betting they both had an estate and I agree almost unable to break. I think the fights will happen with the leadership and purse strings of WD and RF. I could see where Micheal, Elizabeth and ex-husband (if he still has some ownership) fighting with the direction of all of it. 

• Upvote 8

Just now, quiversR4hunting said:

Interesting (just read up on simultaneous death law). 

I'm betting they both had an estate and I agree almost unable to break. I think the fights will happen with the leadership and purse strings of WD and RF. I could see where Micheal, Elizabeth and ex-husband (if he still has some ownership) fighting with the direction of all of it. 

I agree.  I doubt that there was that much mingled money/property between Gwen and Joe.  They'd both been married before and Gwen was smart about money.  The real question will be about anything not privately owned or that is willed to the church.  I think David Shamblin still had a hand in Remnant Fellowship for quite a long time.  If he's still involved, it could get interesting.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2

1 hour ago, pupper said:

Typical behavior after a death is to bring food to the grieving family.  So what do you bring to people who diet as part of their religion? 

Funeral potato chips - to lick?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 17

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic