IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 17: The Hair Apparant

HerNameIsBuffy

1 hour ago, quiversR4hunting said:

My family in the Richmond, VA area were the ones that said "Coke" for all soda when I met them 30+ years ago.

I'm from about 70 miles down I-64 east from there. A few friends went to VCU for college. 

• Upvote 5

I thought you all might be interested in this video from Probable Cause: Dan Grider discussing the preliminary findings on the cause of the crash: 

He also rightfully calls them out on being a cult.

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 23

6 hours ago, Howl said:

We have a Pedernales River in Texas. To understand how it's pronounced,  when headed that way as kids, my mom and her siblings thought they were going to see Bert 'n Alice. 

I always presumed Sepulveda Street in So. Calif. was “sep ull VAY duh”

When I heard it’s actual pronunciation (seh PULL veh’ duh) I was so dang glad I’d never had to mention it while visiting out there! :D 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, MamaJunebug said:

When I heard it’s actual pronunciation (seh PULL veh’ duh) I was so dang glad I’d never had to mention it while visiting out there! :D 

Knowing the fundamental rules of Spanish pronunciation goes a long way toward pronouncing unfamiliar California place/street names.  Although just when you think you've got the hang of it, a Native American origin name comes along with different rules to trip you up...

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, MmeMelancholy said:

I thought you all might be interested in this video from Probable Cause: Dan Grider discussing the preliminary findings on the cause of the crash: 

Good video. Thanks for posting.

Anyone else find it ironic that Gwen likely met her demise because the plane was over weight?

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, MmeMelancholy said:

That was extremely interesting.  Who is Dan Grider?

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I am really wary of the Bless Your Heart reaction on FJ because I honestly can't work out how it's going to be perceived. The times someone's used it on something I've posted I've worked myself into knots trying to work out what they meant, and whether I should be offended/upset or not!  Spare a thought for those of us navigating unfamiliar cultural waters in a leaky boat here, heh.

I use the "bless your heart" reaction on FJ in a snarky manner.  In real life use, I often genuinely mean it kindly.  I was sharing a happy/ funny memory of my mother to a friend awhile ago, and ended it with "bless her heart!"  I also sometimes say it to throw subtle shade, but then it's "bless his little heart".

• Upvote 7

If people want to continue the reaction discussion, I'll move it to CD.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 3

1 hour ago, church_of_dog said:

Knowing the fundamental rules of Spanish pronunciation goes a long way toward pronouncing unfamiliar California place/street names.

Sometimes the locals will subvert that. I now live in a city in Arizona with a Spanish street name which I know how to pronounce correctly. But the locals mispronounce it and think I'm wrong. 

• Upvote 4
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

59 minutes ago, ManyGoats said:

Sometimes the locals will subvert that. I now live in a city in Arizona with a Spanish street name which I know how to pronounce correctly. But the locals mispronounce it and think I'm wrong. 

Oh yes!  I'm sure there are many examples of that.  The first one that comes to mind, ironically, is a french-origin name.  In the northern Sacramento valley is a tiny town named Artois.  I don't know how it got it's presumably french name, but I know the locals pronounce it Ar-Toys.  ?‍♀️

• Haha 8

Hi Everyone...

I've been lurking and have a few questions that I thought I would throw out there for the group.

My best friend is in Remnant and when I visit her in TN, I have gone with her to the services.  At one point, she wanted me to move there and join the church, but it was a hard pass for me.  I read parts of Gwen's book in the 90's when it was in all the churches and I just never could get into it.  She's had me listen to Gwen's CD in the car, given me her books and I just never could see what she saw in this lady.  And I don't believe that my spirtual journey hinges upon my weight loss.

When my friend first joined and I went down the rabbit hole to learn about Gwen's church, I really had a lot of fears about losing her to the cult.  But, that hasn't happened.  I have read a lot of things about Remnant and some of them aren't true from my experience.  For example, when the plane went down, there were people on line saying that they never have food at their weddings and all the kids look emaciated.  Definitely not true.

I know there was a lot of things written about Remnant back in the early 2000's when the cult first started about glue sticks and excessive discipline issues, etc.  I had read that people weren't allowed to go to other churches, were told not to read things online, not to keep friends outside of Remnant, etc.  I also live far enough away and maybe I would see more if I lived close.

So, the question is, do you think they toned things down since the beginning when Gwen started getting in a lot of trouble and being investigated about the murder of that young boy?  Is it more subtle now for the members as opposed to "you are too fat for our church, please leave"  My friend lost weight at one point, but she has gained it back and then some as she has had several more children.  She has never told me that they gave her a hard time about it, but maybe they have and she just doesn't share that part.

The only thing that I ever heard her say that was so sad to me was that she feels like she will go to Hell if she doesn't get the weight off.  And her young daughter will often question if I really want that next bite (ha!  yes, I do!)  Her mother will immediately correct her that it is not her job to police adults food intake.  So, I do see the signs of the cult influence on her family.

I have just been trying to figure this group out for the longest time.  Have they eased up a bit over the years or does everyone just smile and not share the way that leadership talks to them?  My friend definitely isn't in any leadership position and so maybe she just doesn't see what all really goes on?  Or is she really good at hiding the condemnation that she feels?

Anyway, I hope that there are at least some positive changes now that Gwen is gone.  I am wondering how Elizabeth is going to hold up given that she is now a single mom, without her mother, without her husband, taking on her husband's business, her mom's pastorship (if I can call it that) all the while dealing with grief.  My friend says she is excited about the future of Remnant, but I would love for her to leave that place.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

1 hour ago, Hane said:

I have THEE Earworm For The Ages!

My undying gratitude, @Hane!

(Did I date one of those guy’s fathers? I kind of think I did…)

• Haha 5
  • I Agree 1

4 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Anyone else find it ironic that Gwen likely met her demise because the plane was over weight?

Dude(ette)!

Wow. Pilot error + error + error, so to speak. 
Grider says - correct me if I misunderstood - that the pressurized cabin would’ve meant nobody on board was really aware of what was going on except for the pilot(s).  And the plane was aloft for all of 2 minutes. So maybe the passengers were unaware - until they weren’t. Wow. 

Confession: If he’d given more details about what witnesses saw as odd behavior of the RF people prior to take-off, I would’ve listened with great Interest *cough* morbid curiosity *cough.*

Had not realized David Shamblin is still CEO of RF!  Phew. This is some strange, strange stuff.  

Msny, many thanks for posting, @Queen Of Hearts.

ETA - ALSO!  Mr. Lara moved to TN in ‘’09 and Mrs. Lara divorced and remarried in ‘20 — ooof! What was the timeline like, there?  How long were the negotiations going on to replace David S as the loyal spouse and how Byzantine are the finances on the whole RF operation?  Uff DA! 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

19 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I am really wary of the Bless Your Heart reaction on FJ because I honestly can't work out how it's going to be perceived. The times someone's used it on something I've posted I've worked myself into knots trying to work out what they meant, and whether I should be offended/upset or not!  Spare a thought for those of us navigating unfamiliar cultural waters in a leaky boat here, heh.

Bless your heart is a complicated ohrase. If someone says that to you after you share something sad or difficult, they are being sincere. It is also common to say it to a child in a sincere way. Most southerners say bless your heart behind your back as opposed to face to face In the case of a snarky bless you’re heart. It genuinely is not always a bad phrase. I feel fairly certain that the bless your hearts you’ve gotten in this forum were meant in a genuine way. Signed, born and raised and currently living in the south. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 4

5 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

Oh yes!  I'm sure there are many examples of that.  The first one that comes to mind, ironically, is a french-origin name.  In the northern Sacramento valley is a tiny town named Artois.  I don't know how it got it's presumably french name, but I know the locals pronounce it Ar-Toys.  ?‍♀️

… please tell me that don’t pronounce the beer incorrectly! ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_Artois

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

Wow. There is just something about her dying because of her overweight private plane that should give the RF members a pause. 
If I’m understanding it correctly, Joe had a plane that was too heavy, got confused in the clouds and wouldn’t have realized till the last second what was really going on. Is that correct?
From the interviews with the people who saw Joe right before the plane left it sounds like Joe was very distracted and nervous. 

• Upvote 10

Today in Thought Control for Cults, the Flattery Edition: 

Spoiler

Screenshot_20210624-132504__02.thumb.jpg.3407c04c7a87fc1e7d5c1cc1f204850c.jpg

You are loved! You are important! God loves you! Satan is afraid of you! Because you're amazing! You took Gwen's class and it proves you're extremely likable! You paid good money for WeighDown materials and that makes you a rare quality! Everyone in RF loves a person who will pay real dollars for Pro Ana merch! You will save so many hurting souls if you  keep doing that! The concerned relatives saying you shouldn't are satanic  warfare!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 6

7 hours ago, RFFriend said:

Hi Everyone...

I've been lurking and have a few questions that I thought I would throw out there for the group.

My best friend is in Remnant and when I visit her in TN, I have gone with her to the services.  At one point, she wanted me to move there and join the church, but it was a hard pass for me.  I read parts of Gwen's book in the 90's when it was in all the churches and I just never could get into it.  She's had me listen to Gwen's CD in the car, given me her books and I just never could see what she saw in this lady.  And I don't believe that my spirtual journey hinges upon my weight loss.

When my friend first joined and I went down the rabbit hole to learn about Gwen's church, I really had a lot of fears about losing her to the cult.  But, that hasn't happened.  I have read a lot of things about Remnant and some of them aren't true from my experience.  For example, when the plane went down, there were people on line saying that they never have food at their weddings and all the kids look emaciated.  Definitely not true.

I know there was a lot of things written about Remnant back in the early 2000's when the cult first started about glue sticks and excessive discipline issues, etc.  I had read that people weren't allowed to go to other churches, were told not to read things online, not to keep friends outside of Remnant, etc.  I also live far enough away and maybe I would see more if I lived close.

So, the question is, do you think they toned things down since the beginning when Gwen started getting in a lot of trouble and being investigated about the murder of that young boy?  Is it more subtle now for the members as opposed to "you are too fat for our church, please leave"  My friend lost weight at one point, but she has gained it back and then some as she has had several more children.  She has never told me that they gave her a hard time about it, but maybe they have and she just doesn't share that part.

The only thing that I ever heard her say that was so sad to me was that she feels like she will go to Hell if she doesn't get the weight off.  And her young daughter will often question if I really want that next bite (ha!  yes, I do!)  Her mother will immediately correct her that it is not her job to police adults food intake.  So, I do see the signs of the cult influence on her family.

I have just been trying to figure this group out for the longest time.  Have they eased up a bit over the years or does everyone just smile and not share the way that leadership talks to them?  My friend definitely isn't in any leadership position and so maybe she just doesn't see what all really goes on?  Or is she really good at hiding the condemnation that she feels?

Anyway, I hope that there are at least some positive changes now that Gwen is gone.  I am wondering how Elizabeth is going to hold up given that she is now a single mom, without her mother, without her husband, taking on her husband's business, her mom's pastorship (if I can call it that) all the while dealing with grief.  My friend says she is excited about the future of Remnant, but I would love for her to leave that place.

I haven’t seen any signs of anything being toned down.   I think leadership has gotten smarter about how they respond to media and more subversive with their controlling of members but the amount of control they have seems unwavering. at least from where I sit that’s what I see  

Re Weddings and food: I have had the opportunity to attend many events at RF.  There is always food …

So! Much! Food!  

Mounds of chicken wings, buckets of side dishes,  casserole upon casserole - everything in abundance! Nothing at all that would indicate that “thin is in”  Its like being on a raft in the middle of the ocean ….water water everywhere but not a drip to drink.  

I was so disheartened when I saw little children walking around carrying very large trays of goodies.  It seems cruel to me that they make children pass desserts that they are not allowed to eat. Maybe it’s how they teach them the discipline of not eating. Idk but it’s really heartbreaking to see these little kids with trays that are so large they can barely carry them.

sidenote: I also wonder what they do with all of it after the event. It seems so wasteful. 

RE your friend… My family is all-in with all of it. I have had moments of hope when I have seen cracks in the facade but for the most part they smile and tell no-one about anything negative with regard to RF and leadership. It is always all about what a blessing Gwen and the church have been for them.

I miss the authentic real family members that I used to have relationships with. I still see them and talk to them but it’s just not really them. Maybe someday I will have them again. Until then I have to hang on to the moments of hope amidst the smiling zombie-like reactions that I mostly see.  

I hope my family and your friend get out someday.

6 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Had not realized David Shamblin is still CEO of RF!  Phew. This is some strange, strange stuff.  

His totally surprised me also!  Like wait what?!  Curiouser and curiouser…

Edited by RFfamANON
  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 5

8 hours ago, RFFriend said:

She has never told me that they gave her a hard time about it, but maybe they have and she just doesn't share that part.

As someone who has been if a cult IME, chances are she won’t tell you if RF is treating her poorly. Cult members don’t tell people what really is going on.

8 hours ago, RFFriend said:

Or is she really good at hiding the condemnation that she feels?

Yes, she almost certainly is good at hiding her emotions. And if her daughter makes food shaming comments to those outside the cult, then she probably does it to her mother too. Which is heartbreaking. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

From what I’ve seen of RF, they have tons of lavish, rich, delicious food at all weddings and celebrations. For Gwen, it’s all about denying yourself that amazing food. Stopping after one bite of the most delicious cake you’ve ever tasted. It’s twisted as fuck. 

• Upvote 9
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 6
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, RFfamANON said:

I miss the authentic real family members that I used to have relationships with. I still see them and talk to them but it’s just not really them. Maybe someday I will have them again. Until then I have to hang on to the moments of hope amidst the smiling zombie-like reactions that I mostly see.  

I hope my family and your friend get out someday.

I was just thinking how letting go of my family ties had been the healthiest thing I could do, and here you have a loving family who are alive but not really there for you.  Every time I breathe a prayer of relief that my family are no longer on my life, I’ll try to remember to pray for both of your families, that they escape the RF clutches immediately if not sooner! 

• Upvote 6
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 7

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Wow. There is just something about her dying because of her overweight private plane that should give the RF members a pause. 
If I’m understanding it correctly, Joe had a plane that was too heavy, got confused in the clouds and wouldn’t have realized till the last second what was really going on. Is that correct?
From the interviews with the people who saw Joe right before the plane left it sounds like Joe was very distracted and nervous. 

I watched the video last night - and my understanding of it was that Joe hadn't actually been the captain in command of a flight before (IE, flying without a more experienced pilot or instructor right there), overloaded the plane (a plane isn't like a car, you don't top up the tank when you get a chance... you take only enough fuel to get where you're going plus an hour or hour and a half as a cushion, I think), took off into low visibility conditions, was crazy nervous to begin with, and became confused and began overcorrecting to the point of being unable to recover.

Sounds like it's likely that he was reacting to what he thought was happening rather than what his instruments were telling him, and got disoriented without being able to see anything other than cloud - no reference to be able to see what's up and what's down, or how fast they're moving. The passengers probably knew something wasn't quite right, but might not have had any idea the danger they were in. 

Even in a pressurized plane you can feel some sense of how the plane is moving, if the movement is big enough, I would think.

I know if I am even the slightest tiny bit congested I can tell you the second a plane I'm in begins descending, sometimes a good half hour or more before the pilot comes over the speaker to tell everyone they're "beginning their descent" into wherever you're landing. My sinuses are apparently very good at detecting that and alerting me by feeling like I've been hit in the face.

I'm not touching the "Joe was just acting a role" part. 

• Upvote 15

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Maybe he knew he was in over his head.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

I'm not touching the "Joe was just acting a role" part. 

I'd like to ask anyone who would like to comment -- do you think he meant it was literally a role that they paid Joe to do? Or just that we all know Joe was faking it?

• Upvote 4

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic