IGNORED

Gwen Shamblin Lara 17: The Hair Apparant

HerNameIsBuffy

17 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

Yeah, when a person I didn't like died, I would keep my feelings to myself but if asked how I really felt, I wouldn't have lied about it.   Fortunately no one has ever asked.   One thing I will always acknowledge, though, is condolences to the family/friends if someone is standing there expecting some preferably nice response.   So I focus on the family and not the person.    Because no matter how I might feel about the person, there will be people who loved that person and are grieving, their relationship is different than mine and even if it's more complicated than that, that's not my business.

That said, I expect to be challenged in my stance as there is an elderly family member with multiple health issues including stage IV cancer who probably will not live out the year.    This family member has been, to put it charitably, has been a total a-hole to everyone, and is continuing to be one on the way out even to friends who are calling him to check on him.   Massive negativity and energy suck.  While I feel for him as anyone with his health issues at the same time, it's going to be a relief when he's gone, and I am going to have to work pretty hard not to show it.  

My grandma died in 2019 after several years of declining health and hygiene and turning into a hoarder and stubborn asshole. In life no one would have called her nice. In death I heard people call her sweet, nice, bubbly, and I thought they were assholes for doing that- she didnt care to be sweet, no need to lie about it. In my eulogy, unlike even my mom, I tried to express her personality as "strong" because you know what, she was who she was and I wanted to honor that. I considered saying "she could be a real bitch sometimes" but didnt. I hope one day at my funeral people dont give me characteristics I dont have - call me a bitch if you want, I'm my grandma's granddaughter and proud of it.

• Upvote 14
  • Haha 2
  • Love 11

8 hours ago, bloopbloopdoop said:

well idk if there's any hard solid evidence, but basically every ex member on here and Reddit has talked about it, so I think it's ok to assume he has

I must have missed those comments here. I thought the only reason he was in the shadows of this organization was his weight.

• I Agree 4

2 hours ago, freethemall said:

My grandma died in 2019 after several years of declining health and hygiene and turning into a hoarder and stubborn asshole. In life no one would have called her nice. In death I heard people call her sweet, nice, bubbly, and I thought they were assholes for doing that- she didnt care to be sweet, no need to lie about it. In my eulogy, unlike even my mom, I tried to express her personality as "strong" because you know what, she was who she was and I wanted to honor that. I considered saying "she could be a real bitch sometimes" but didnt. I hope one day at my funeral people dont give me characteristics I dont have - call me a bitch if you want, I'm my grandma's granddaughter and proud of it.

I keep wondering whether your username is Free them all or Free the mall.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 15
  • Thank You 1

2 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

Oh gosh! I seriously was just reading it as "Free the mall" and thinking maybe this user joined during Covid and wanted the malls opened back up! ?

• Haha 18
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

I always liked the double entendre and that other users have wondered that too

1 hour ago, livinginthelight said:

Oh gosh! I seriously was just reading it as "Free the mall" and thinking maybe this user joined during Covid and wanted the malls opened back up! ?

2013 baby, been here since yuku

• Upvote 11
  • Love 7

23 hours ago, Xan said:

There's a play (and a movie) called "I Never Sang for My Father".  This line is at the beginning and the end:  "Death ends a life. But it does not end a relationship which struggles on the survivor's mind toward some resolution which it may never find."

A film worth watching, and of special interest to FJers, I think, for a portrayal of a character whose outer facade and community reputation is that of a likeable hero, but who has hurt his children badly and is selfish and teflon-coated when it comes to change or acknowledging any wrongdoing on his part.

Not exactly like the fundies and narcissists we discuss, but with some interesting parallels.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 8

well idk if there's any hard solid evidence, but basically every ex member on here and Reddit has talked about it, so I think it's ok to assume he has

It has been confirmed by 2 of the people people he was with and also by Gwen shamblin herself. She accidentally sent an email about it to a significant portion of the local church. She quoted “not even a hint of sexual impurity and immorality” and told him his sin was to blame for a tragic event in the family.
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 13
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, LifelongRFSurvivor said:

It has been confirmed by 2 of the people people he was with and also by Gwen shamblin herself. She accidentally sent an email about it to a significant portion of the local church. She quoted “not even a hint of sexual impurity and immorality” and told him his sin was to blame for a tragic event in the family.

wait, she sent half the church an email she meant to send privately to Michael?? LOL

• Upvote 3
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, LifelongRFSurvivor said:

Oh to have that email…

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 7
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, bloopbloopdoop said:

wait, she sent half the church an email she meant to send privately to Michael?? LOL

I’ve been on the Remnant threads since close to the beginning, and this is the first I’m hearing about this!!! So crazy. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

I swear that email gaff isn’t surprising. She lived on Diet Coke and chip salt. I can’t believe she didn’t do more stuff than that. If you aren’t getting enough vitamins, nutrients, and fats, your brain won’t work as well. You are going to forget things and make mistakes like sending a private email to half the church. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 11

2 hours ago, cookingbutterchicken said:

Oh to have that email…

Hopefully now that email is something RF members can laugh about.  "Remember that time Gwen emailed a personal message to everyone?  Yeah, that was awesome!"

• Upvote 5

They have updated the gwenshamblinlara site to refer to her in the past tense. The devotionals are back to repeating things they have repeated many times before, making as little sense in death as they did in her lifetime. There's the one about waters that cannot quench. 

one that repeats the word truth over and over, that sounds like it should be muttered frantically in the flickering torchlight while handling snakes (...we need to listen, we need conversation, and we need to hear the Truth. This matters. Truth makes all the difference. Truth sets you free; it completely changes your life. Truth is essential in this procedure to obtain this holy fear and this loving adoration of God, and it is vital if we are to teach this relationship to our children....)

and  one that promises you get currency in your pocket if you join Gwen's religion (because you save money on diet programs and buying clothes doncha know) and I know I have rolled my eyes so hard on this before but can't find it now.

Also,   Future holds the most prevailing substance to found an institution on, OK?

• Thank You 16

On 6/4/2021 at 11:19 AM, WeirdHarold said:

This is from a grace believer's perspective.  She spent time with Gwen and friends back in the day.  Fortunately she discerned early that Gwen's doctrine wasn't for her.  The crash caused her to write this blog entry.

https://lightingtheway.blogspot.com/2021/06/the-heresy-of-gwen-shamblin-lara-cult.html

Dwayna Litz tore Remnant apart in just a few paragraphs. Thoroughly enjoyed reading that piece. Thanks for sharing!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

21 hours ago, LifelongRFSurvivor said:

I would not be surprised to see Michael divorce Erin in the coming years.  If he is indeed a rover I bet he stayed married because of Mommy Dearest and her control.  With her gone, he can do what he wants. It may also explain Erin's extreme closeness to Gwen.

• Upvote 11
  • Love 1

This is by a woman who's history with Gwen goes back to 1998. It begins with her talking, but then is just lots of old TV footage and stuff. The video seems to end abruptly.

Sharing because it's more recent than most of what I see now.

https://youtu.be/pDXr9iAeX5s

• Upvote 5

On 6/6/2021 at 9:48 PM, NarcissismKills said:

I don't know if Gwen's children attended Lipscomb. However, the university's theater is named after the Shamblins. The link below is to a current Lipscomb student news report about this topic. 

http://luminationnetwork.com/category/breaking-news/

Well I guess that answers the question that Brandon did indeed graduate from LU in 2000. 

• Thank You 4

On 6/4/2021 at 5:19 AM, WeirdHarold said:

This is from a grace believer's perspective.  She spent time with Gwen and friends back in the day.  Fortunately she discerned early that Gwen's doctrine wasn't for her.  The crash caused her to write this blog entry.

https://lightingtheway.blogspot.com/2021/06/the-heresy-of-gwen-shamblin-lara-cult.html

Just catching up to this & thank you for the link. 

This woman's perspective actually makes a lot of sense in terms of explaining Gwen & RF. Gwen literally had/has the cult members enthralled.

Enthrall.thumb.png.5fce7303f4e8dacdc0ad85f4cb2d0845.png

• Upvote 4

On 6/5/2021 at 9:26 AM, Xan said:

Elizabeth did a taped message for Brandon.  I'm surprised at how much she sounds like Gwen.

ETA:  Elizabeth says that Brandon "must be the happiest man on earth" to be in Heaven now with the Lord.  Her problem with words is much like her mother's.  I see that @AmazonGrace also picked up on this!

Here's a pic from the taped message:

Hide contents

421852353_Screenshot(4909).png.e46ffa1dccddd837ea3ca811882b18f1.png

That's the face and body of a woman who has suffered chronic malnutrition since early childhood. I couldn't believe this was Elizabeth until I came across this photo: 

Spoiler

image.png.e1d352a95b0d91c7a1e6f0a17a58b1fc.png

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 10
  • WTF 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Queen Of Hearts said:

I would not be surprised to see Michael divorce Erin in the coming years.  If he is indeed a rover I bet he stayed married because of Mommy Dearest and her control.  With her gone, he can do what he wants. It may also explain Erin's extreme closeness to Gwen.

I wouldn't be either.  IME I have seen multiple cases of people maintaing the status quo due to parental control / expectations while the parent is alive and then ditch it all once the parent is gone.  

• Upvote 7

Eulogies:

I've already written out the beginning of mine for my kids to read at my memorial.

"She could turn the world on with her smile. She could take a nothing day and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile."

Hopefully nobody will catch on. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 25
  • Love 4

6 hours ago, WeirdHarold said:

This is by a woman who's history with Gwen goes back to 1998. It begins with her talking, but then is just lots of old TV footage and stuff. The video seems to end abruptly.

Sharing because it's more recent than most of what I see now.

https://youtu.be/pDXr9iAeX5s

Interesting video.  What caught my eye towards the end was a snip of a video Gwen did talking about greed.  As she's reading the parable about greed and how un-Christian it is, she's wearing what looks like Christian Louboutin black platform pumps.  The ones with a peep toe now sell for $875 a pair.  I'd guess hers cost between $750 and $800 new.  You have to have a set of brass cojones to lecture people about greed while standing in Louboutins.  (Notice the red telltale inner surface of the heel.)

I figured out that her outfit and heels together cost way more than my first car.

Spoiler

1003782505_Screenshot(4998).png.6d335d21cbd691d9d37f75fadcbb0ede.png342591443_Screenshot(4999).png.89d24aa496d93d19b1fc043c7a49982e.png

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 11

21 minutes ago, Xan said:

Interesting video.  What caught my eye towards the end was a snip of a video Gwen did talking about greed.  As she's reading the parable about greed and how un-Christian it is, she's wearing what looks like Christian Louboutin black platform pumps.  The ones with a peep toe now sell for $875 a pair.  I'd guess hers cost between $750 and $800 new.  You have to have a set of brass cojones to lecture people about greed while standing in Louboutins.  (Notice the red telltale inner surface of the heel.)

I figured out that her outfit and heels together cost way more than my first car.

Hide contents

1003782505_Screenshot(4998).png.6d335d21cbd691d9d37f75fadcbb0ede.png342591443_Screenshot(4999).png.89d24aa496d93d19b1fc043c7a49982e.png

At some point in the video she says "I can't go to heaven unless I lay down greed".

Clearly her gospel message was works-based and not a gospel of grace.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 2

41 minutes ago, WeirdHarold said:

At some point in the video she says "I can't go to heaven unless I lay down greed".

Amazing people take her seriously with the soaring hair and ridiculous shoes.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10

8 hours ago, WeirdHarold said:

I wouldn’t care about her being work based if she was actually teaching people to help others, be kind and treat everyone with respect. Way too many Christians scream and rant about how their salvation is by grace and faith alone all while treating others like trash. It would be be a breath of fresh air to have one of these mega-church leaders start preaching that actions and attitude actually matter a great deal. 

The only work Gwen appeared to think people needed to do to get to heaven is not eating. That seems to be it. Be skinny, drink Diet Coke and you get to go to heaven. Most religious beliefs are a bit a bit strange, but Gwen did take it to a whole new level. 

• Upvote 24
  • I Agree 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic