IGNORED

Top 10 WTF Moments in Maxhell

SPHASH

I can not get my al pastor "right." They always come out mushy.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

As in soft corn tortillas, topped with meat, diced onion and cilantro? I think my kids were in high school or college before they learned about American tacos and they were all "what are these things?"

I recently discovered a new taco wagon that makes The Best al pastor I've ever had. It's conveniently close to an access point to a non-motorized trailhead so I often start bike rides from that point, never mind that it's not a convenient starting point otherwise.

Pretty much, yeah. American tacos (hard shell, taco "seasoned" ground beef, tomatoes, lettuce, cheddar cheese....)are justl a giant no in my world). Cotija cheese if I can find it; I live in a very white suburb so I need to plan ahead if I want it & make sure to grab it when I leave the uncultured bubble I live in. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Pretty much, yeah. American tacos (hard shell, taco "seasoned" ground beef, tomatoes, lettuce, cheddar cheese....)are justl a giant no in my world). Cotija cheese if I can find it; I live in a very white suburb so I need to plan ahead if I want it & make sure to grab it when I leave the uncultured bubble I live in. 

One of my kids used to live in a city whose economy was based on tourism, especially white suburban tourists. The taco wagon in their neighborhood eventually catered to them by adding a "Gringo Taco" to their original menu. It was exactly as you describe, cost nearly twice as much as their other tacos, and was wildly popular with the out of towners.

• Upvote 1

I’m aware that it is definitely not authentic but there are days when I enjoy an American taco. No ground beef but black beans, sautéed zucchini, peppers, and onions, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and mango salsa in a hard shell. If I have avocados I’ll make some guacamole but it’s not a requirement. I would never order this at a restaurant though. I prefer to order something I don’t tend to make on my own so veggie tamales are my go-to 

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

I’m aware that it is definitely not authentic but there are days when I enjoy an American taco. No ground beef but black beans, sautéed zucchini, peppers, and onions, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and mango salsa in a hard shell. If I have avocados I’ll make some guacamole but it’s not a requirement. I would never order this at a restaurant though. I prefer to order something I don’t tend to make on my own so veggie tamales are my go-to 

Your version sounds much better than Taco Bell's. I love to do beans, cheese, and sauteed vegetables on a flour tortilla, folded over and crisped in a skillet or the oven. I don't have a name for my concoction, though.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Look at you…all fancy with your cheddar cheese 😉. When I was a kid, we only got shredded cheddar if company was coming over for tacos. For plain old tacos, we had to eat Kraft singles, torn into strips. I once read a blog in which the author described that as “eating prison tacos.” 🤣

• Haha 9

On 8/27/2021 at 12:14 AM, usmcmom said:

Look at you…all fancy with your cheddar cheese 😉. When I was a kid, we only got shredded cheddar if company was coming over for tacos. For plain old tacos, we had to eat Kraft singles, torn into strips. I once read a blog in which the author described that as “eating prison tacos.” 🤣

I live in the Midwest, where most people have never had authentic Mexican Food.  A new restaurant opened in town, and finally, the real thing.  There was an article in the paper, where three reporters went to the restaurant to sample the food, and their biggest complaint, the cheese on the tacos and other menu items was Mozarella.  The restaurant was using Queso Fresco which is a white mild cheese, these idiots didn't do any research and had no idea what they were eating.  They all agreed it was not as good as Taco Bell.   

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 16

On 8/26/2021 at 11:14 PM, usmcmom said:

Sounds like Jack In The Box tacos to be! Greasy ambrosia!!! When I used to get horrid head colds they were the only thing that got to my sense of taste. [Yet another reason I wear masks: no head colds! ]

11 minutes ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

these idiots didn't do any research and had no idea what they were eating.  They all agreed it was not as good as Taco Bell.   

As Daffy Duck was wont to say, “What a maroon!”

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

I live in the Midwest, where most people have never had authentic Mexican Food.  A new restaurant opened in town, and finally, the real thing.  There was an article in the paper, where three reporters went to the restaurant to sample the food, and their biggest complaint, the cheese on the tacos and other menu items was Mozarella.  The restaurant was using Queso Fresco which is a white mild cheese, these idiots didn't do any research and had no idea what they were eating.  They all agreed it was not as good as Taco Bell.   

That just makes me sad. A world without Mexican food is no world at all. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

Lydia Bastianich was talking on her show yesterday about the foods she encountered as a 12-yeard old immigrant from Italy: Peanut butter and jelly.  American cheese because it melts so well. Grilled cheese sandwiches.  Boxed cake mix because they could have dessert every night.  She was just blown away by the variety in US supermarkets.  Her mom used to work in Christopher Walken's parent's bakery.  

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Lydia Bastianich was talking on her show yesterday about the foods she encountered as a 12-yeard old immigrant from Italy: Peanut butter and jelly.  American cheese because it melts so well. Grilled cheese sandwiches.  Boxed cake mix because they could have dessert every night.  She was just blown away by the variety in US supermarkets.  Her mom used to work in Christopher Walken's parent's bakery.  

I love her because she comes right out and says there’s nothing wrong with good Italian-American cooking! She explains how immigrants often can’t get access to the same ingredients common back home, so they learn to adapt. I saw much of this in my grandma’s cooking—her parents were born in Genoa. Cooking purists are sometimes snobs.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 2

On 8/29/2021 at 3:01 PM, PennySycamore said:

Lydia worked in the bakery as well.

• Upvote 2

On 8/26/2021 at 11:56 AM, Black Aliss said:

As in soft corn tortillas, topped with meat, diced onion and cilantro? 

The one benefit to having contracted Covid despite my best efforts was how my tastebuds changed and I can now eat cilantro without it tasting like soap. Game changer!!!

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, janey said:

The one benefit to having contracted Covid despite my best efforts was how my tastebuds changed and I can now eat cilantro without it tasting like soap. Game changer!!!

One benefit I did not get.. that stuff is still the devil to me!  lol

• Upvote 5

On 8/28/2021 at 7:25 PM, Lady Grass Lake said:

We are starting to get Oaxacan restaurants and food trucks in my area and I don't think there's a single one that hasn't gotten a negative review online from someone who ordered a  burrito or some otherTex-Mex dish and complained. The rice wasn't cooked with tomato sauce, the tacos had no lettuce, cheese, or tomatoes. . .and don't get them started on the tortillas (they're made with white corn but everyone seems to think they are flour tortillas) and the bland white cheese when they were expecting cheddar. It's like they think all Mexican food is the same, regardless of region even though they probably would not expect to find fried catfish and hush puppies in Maine, or a New England clambake in New Orleans, or Minnesota hotdish in LA.

Pro tip: If you go to a Oaxacan restaurant, order one of the  moles. Or entomatadas, or enmolaldas, or enfrijoladas, or if you're lucky to find it on the menu, a tlayuda--anything but a burrito.

• Upvote 6

You know what’s blow-your-mind cuisine?

Peruvian. 

Theres a fabulous restaurant in St. Louis - Mango. They moved downtown and became $$$$ but I don’t begrudge ‘em that decision. They deserve every good thing they get!

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

On 8/26/2021 at 12:06 PM, Maggie Mae said:

I can not get my al pastor "right." They always come out mushy.

Scrolling through, without context and not realizing there had been a thread drift, I read:

I cannot get my pastor right. They always come out naughty. 

• Haha 9