IGNORED

Top 10 WTF Moments in Maxhell

SPHASH

7 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

What?!  I completely missed this....please someone give me a TLDR or at least enough info so I can search!

The April 1998 Dad's Corner is where Steve announced to all of his readers that for a while he secretly hated Teri for no reason. This is back when he belonged to an actual church, and not only that, but also a men's prayer group. He says if the Lord hadn't taken away the wrong thoughts he was having toward Teri it could've killed their marriage.

Edited by VodouDoll
added a sentence
  • Upvote 9
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 7
  • Thank You 5

6 minutes ago, VodouDoll said:

The April 1998 Dad's Corner is where Steve announced to all of his readers that for a while he secretly hated Teri for no reason. This is back when he belonged to an actual church, and not only that, but also a men's prayer group. He says if the Lord hadn't taken away the wrong thoughts he was having toward Teri it could've killed their marriage.

And I now have something to look forward to when I get home!  Thank you!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Now I'm curious, does Teri talk with the baby voice?  Does she do the fundy gaze adoringly at her headship?  I've never seen that and she doesn't strike me as the type for either, but I miss stuff so now I'm dying to know.

No, Teri had a normal voice, and so did Sarah and Anna when I spoke to them. So at least "little ladies have little voices" came along too late to infect the Maxwells. As for an adoring gaze, I didn't notice one, but I was busy taking notes so it could have slipped by me.

During one of the breaks, Teri came and sat down beside me and spoke to me, probably because I was alone and other women were in groups. She was very nice! If she didn't have such awful beliefs, I'd probably like her.

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 3

Remember when they each did a video a few years back?  I don't remember why they did them, but each was just a few minutes long.

Anyway, I remember Mary's voice being babyish, it was very weird.  Not the others, just Mary.

• Upvote 4

1) I feel badly that everyone has left Uriah off this list.  The adventures of Uriah and personification of him on the blog were always strange to me for people who, at the time, had no pets.

2) 1TonRamp

3) The poor souls at the nursing home "church" who were (are? I don't think they do this now?) a captive audience to the Maxwell clan and their caterwauling.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 2
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, postscript said:

The thing with Maxwell mashed potatoes is you know they’re going to be the blandest, most tasteless mashed potatoes on earth. As a kid, I disliked mashed potatoes because the standard in the 60s and 70s was perfectly smooth mashed potatoes with no lumps and no added flavoring. Housewives were judged on how lump-free their mashed potatoes were. Once the vogue for mashed potatoes with lumps and spices came in, I developed a taste for them. But I bet the Maxwells’ two tablespoons are of the lump less, flavorless kind. Much like the rest of their lives. 

Lumps, spices and most importantly a LOT of butter!! Now I want mashed potatos.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 3

Let's not forget the incident where Steve got angry because the orthodontist reminded Mary (who was about 9 or 10 at the time) that "it's your mouth" when they were discussing her palate expander.

• Upvote 20
  • WTF 3

11 hours ago, Talitha Cumi said:

My top WTFMaxwell moment comes from the time a few years back I attended the dog and pony show. Teri was talking to the moms while Steve talked to the dads, and she told us about one woman she'd been visiting with in her home. The woman's young daughter was running around and being loud, like kids do. Teri told us that the woman stopped her daughter, got down on her knees to get on her daughter's level, and said in a soft tone "Little ladies have little voices."

I was horrified, and even more so when Teri smiled at us and said "Isn't that just great?" She went on to talk about I don't even remember what, because I was so shocked. I come from a relatively conservative background, but my parents would never have stolen their daughters' voices like that. What a retrogressive, absolutely soul-crushing thing to say to a girl. No wonder the baby voice is endemic in fundiedom.

Yes— and yet Teri does not affect the baby voice!  She’s an alto and speaks quite authoritatively! Serena Joy Syndrome, I suppose. 

• Upvote 10
  • Thank You 1

23 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Oh, and we should add Steve and Teri taking Sarah to the airport specifically to people watch and point out eye traps on the heathen women including contrasting buttons.

Thank you. I knew they were at the airport judging women's attire and I thought it was a trip specifically for that purpose, that they weren't meeting a flight or seeing someone off. But then I thought it was too ridiculous and I must be misremembering.

Last week I learned about  littles--a kink where someone [usually a woman] gets off being treated like a small child, having their partner make all the decisions, and tell them what to do. For their part a little  gets to throw tantrums and otherwise act immaturely, even though they behave in age-appropriate ways at work and other social situations. Maybe Teri and Michelle Duggar and a host of other fundie wives arent really submissive. It's just their kink.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Thank you. I knew they were at the airport judging women's attire and I thought it was a trip specifically for that purpose, that they weren't meeting a flight or seeing someone off. But then I thought it was too ridiculous and I must be misremembering.

Last week I learned about  littles--a kink where someone [usually a woman] gets off being treated like a small child, having their partner make all the decisions, and tell them what to do. For their part a little  gets to throw tantrums and otherwise act immaturely, even though they behave in age-appropriate ways at work and other social situations. Maybe Teri and Michelle Duggar and a host of other fundie wives arent really submissive. It's just their kink.

There are other types of dynamics in that realm of kink and I have long said in the Bates and Duggar's threads that I absolutely think that's at the core of a lot of gen 1 fundy couples.  Someone once posted there is a whole ...genre isn't the word...thing out there (sorry, words are hard today) about discipline within a Christian marriage involving spankings and punishments and such for the helpmeet.

I have no judgement about what any consenting adults choose to do with each other, if you find someone you love to share your life and your kinks congrats because that's pretty great.  But the second you need to make it a lifestyle that you enforce on your kids and expect them to continue, and think the rest of the world should have the same dynamic it's not just consenting adults, it's making other people part of your sex life and that's so wrong on every level.  

I personally think so much of this stems from them being into the D/s dynamic but being so damn uncomfortable with their sexuality they have to pretend it's about God not sex or intimacy...like they have to do the thing that gets them off because God said so instead of just enjoying their sexuality for what it is ...and enjoying it amongst fully consenting adults instead of trying to make it some kind of universal pattern of wholesomeness.  

Teri never struck me as being all that interested in either her kids or Steve, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors.  

10 hours ago, ophelia said:

And whole milk for creaminess.  And now I want them too.  

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 6

10 hours ago, ophelia said:

Bit off topic but what spices would you put in mashed potatoes? I use butter, salt and pepper and a wee bit of milk. When I was a kid it was just salt in mashed potatoes. Though we did make champ a lot, which is mashed potatoes with scallions in it. Weirdly we used butter for that but not normal mash.

• Upvote 7

Can we count Steve parading all the Reversals in a line to talk publicly about his vasectomy at his son's wedding?

ETA: I watched that live. And I still can't quite believe it really happened!

Edited by helenprev
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1

29 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

Bit off topic but what spices would you put in mashed potatoes? I use butter, salt and pepper and a wee bit of milk. When I was a kid it was just salt in mashed potatoes. Though we did make champ a lot, which is mashed potatoes with scallions in it. Weirdly we used butter for that but not normal mash.

I love garlic mashed as a change sometimes, but for me the old standby is salt, butter, and a splash of whole milk or half and half.  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

Let's not forget the incident where Steve got angry because the orthodontist reminded Mary (who was about 9 or 10 at the time) that "it's your mouth" when they were discussing her palate expander.

This was the moment I got interested in the Maxwells. It was so WTF. With Lori Alexander it was the force feeding of her granddaughter. With the Rods, it was her sister’s accident. Oh the memories. 

• Upvote 11

I have to say, one time we had a bbq and my friend accidentally left the cheese paper on his burger and we died laughing when he realized he was chewing paper. So I would laugh at Teri if she was my mom and ate the cheese Paper. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, HoneyBunny said:

This was the moment I got interested in the Maxwells. It was so WTF. With Lori Alexander it was the force feeding of her granddaughter. With the Rods, it was her sister’s accident. Oh the memories. 

My moment was when Sarah was told she lacks gratefulness. This was after her 31st birthday and they celebrated by taking her to the animal safari as if she was 7 years old.

Edited by SPHASH
  • Upvote 10
  • WTF 1

4 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

Garlic comes to mind immediately!  Chives.  It’s not a spice, but grated cheese mixed in to melt .... ohMyGoodness I’m salivating! 

3 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I love garlic mashed as a change sometimes, but for me the old standby is salt, butter, and a splash of whole milk or half and half.  

AND, late in life I realized that if the milk (half & half!!) is warmed before mixing in, and the butter softened almost to melting before its all mixed together ... OMFSM I want some!!! LOL 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

On 6/3/2021 at 12:51 PM, HerNameIsBuffy said:

He would have really liked Catholicism pre-Vatican II.  My mom had stories of priests telling her suffering on earth meant less time in purgatory.  Like getting credit for time served, or something.  

My grandfather was not a nice man, was in WWI and got gassed in the trenches.  He was forced to marry my grandmother who had gotten pregnant by another man at age 16.  She had been working as a ladies maid in Detroit in 1916 and met and fell in love with a musician.  When she got pregnant he split.  Grandpa was the last of 13 children and not in line to inherit the farm, so their parents got together and arranged a marriage for them.  He was a mean man.  Grandma was  devout Catholic and after he died went to mass every day.  I was told I had to pray for Grandpa  daily to get him out of Purgatory.  I had this image as a kid of a man sitting on a bench in this dark room with some kind of counter over his head, like rolling numbers on a gas pump.  Every time Grandma went to mass or lit a candle or we prayed for his soul, a number would be added to the counter and he'd eventually get into heaven.  I hope he made it out before Purgatory was eliminated from the church teachings.    

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, EmainMacha said:

I always loved the mashed potatoes my mother in law fixed, so I asked her what she does.  She puts cut up pieces of onion in the pot and boils them with the potatoes.  She uses a lot of butter but very little milk, and salt and pepper.  When you mash them, the onions disappear into the potatoes so you don't even know they are there.   She starts with a small amount of milk and adds a dash at a time while she's mashing with an electric mixer so they stay on the thicker side.  

• Upvote 4

As for mashed potatoes - an old family recipe includes evaporated milk in it.  I put almost the entire can, and it makes it super creamy.  I also add cayenne for some spice, in addition to butter, garlic and Tony Chachere's Creole spice blend.

Regarding weird things - a few years back, didn't they mention that the kidults do their jogs/walks early in the morning, so that they were less likely to run into scantily-clad exercisers?  And that they thought that people appreciated them having on appropriate clothing?  They would disapprove of me - I took a walk today in my normal summer workout clothes - bike shorts and a sleeveless workout shirt.  I'm more worried about staying cool than anything else.

• Upvote 9

15 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

I think I first "found" the Maxwells when I was looking for recipes online, and stumbled on to their now defunct recipe exchange.  It was full of posts about how can I feed my huge family on very little money and a sack of wheat.  I then started reading the blog, and was shocked to find out that the "kids" at that time could ride their bikes for exercise, not fun.  At that point, I knew I needed to learn more about them.  

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

17 hours ago, bionicmlle said:

2) 1TonRamp

It was a very, very long time before I realized this was "IT On Ramp" -- an introduction to computers and the internet -- and not "One Ton Ramp." 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9

3 hours ago, Howl said:

It was a very, very long time before I realized this was "IT On Ramp" -- an introduction to computers and the internet -- and not "One Ton Ramp." 

You are better than I; I read it as One Ton On-ramp. Possibly because I discovered the Maxwells on my brand new iPhone 3 whilst on a 12 hour road trip....

• Haha 1

I found the Maxwells while lurking on Lina's blog. She followed almost all the fundies that are still crazy. 

• Upvote 2