IGNORED

John and Chelsy 9: Title Update: Baby Madeline Is Here 10 Weeks Early

nelliebelle1197

On 3/31/2022 at 7:33 PM, Howl said:

I think some dentists still do nitrous oxide for a more enjoyable experience, but you'd have to ask.  

The dentist I went to in Colorado in the 1990s automatically offered it as an option.  However, that was before it was understood that long term exposure to nitrous oxide wasn't good for the dentist or assistants.  

I have a question about nitrous… I tried whip-its recreationally once in college and absolutely hated how it made me feel. Is the nitrous at a dentist basically the same or significantly different-feeling? I’ve always been too scared to try it at the dentist because of that. 

What I didn’t like about it recreationally was that I felt like I was going to faint (I have always had low blood pressure and if my blood sugar gets too low, I drop, this happened several time in college), which didn’t have any positive connotations for me. 

12 hours ago, Bethy said:

I've had a lot of work, including several crowns and root canals. (Root canals get a bad rap, BTW. The procedure by itself isn't that bad, especially with newer technology that isn't a noisy scraping file removing the root. If the tooth is abscessed, the pain beforehand is the worst part of the experience.) For me, the anxiety stems from the fact that I don't always "take" the novocaine and almost always regain feeling sometime during the drilling. So every time I go in, even for simple fillings, I can bank on the fact that there's going to be at least one moment of blinding pain (followed by several more shots of novocaine and being numb for hours and hours) and I have no idea when that moment is going to be.

That's never happened to me yet, thankfully. But just the idea of it fills me with dread. 😮 I have had to have extra novacaine (or whatever the equivalent is that they use these days) for the occasional extended procedure, but no breakthrough pain. And yeah, the numbness takes forEVER to wear off, leaving me a mumbling, drooling mess. 😏

On 4/5/2022 at 1:38 AM, GiggleOfGirls said:

I have a question about nitrous… I tried whip-its recreationally once in college and absolutely hated how it made me feel. Is the nitrous at a dentist basically the same or significantly different-feeling? I’ve always been too scared to try it at the dentist because of that. 

What I didn’t like about it recreationally was that I felt like I was going to faint (I have always had low blood pressure and if my blood sugar gets too low, I drop, this happened several time in college), which didn’t have any positive connotations for me. 

Everybody is different. I used to have nitrous when I went to the dentist for cleaning and any cavities. This is the only way I would go after having horrific experiences with school dentists when I was a kid (which lead to me not seeing a dentist for 5 years which coincided with my red bull habit = root canals) BUT the nitrous would give me a paranoid feeling so I was wondering whether to try without it. Then during my last dentist appointment which was for a clean was mid pandemic and they weren't doing nitrous, so I had to give it a go without it and I found out for me it's better without nitrous, there was some discomfort but nothing I couldn't handle and I felt better having a clear mind. The nitrous is a continuous flow that they can adjust so you can always ask to turn it up or down or even stop if you aren't enjoying it and luckily it is a drug that clears from your system really quickly. My dentist does ask me to wait for 15 minutes in the waiting room before leaving though to make sure it's safe to drive.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Bontrager Instagram shows that the family (Chelsy's parents and the 4 kids who are still at home) visited Kansas. I'm glad they could go to help out. Just FYI in case anyone is interested!

• Upvote 5
  • Thank You 10

FYI, Chelsy posted an update on her blog. Looks like she is doing a lot better! Man I can't get over how young all three of her kids are. Even Axton looks like a baby to me!

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 6

She has a follow up appt on may 13th. I bet if they give her good news, she will get pregnant soon after. 

• Upvote 8
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2022 at 2:08 PM, BigSandy said:

Looks like she is doing a lot better!

A friend had open heart surgery to repair a defective heart valve that wasn't going to get better. 

He recovered incredibly quickly for a man in his early 50s -- the heart was finally pumping like it should and delivering nicely oxygenated blood. 

• Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Chelsy on her blog. 

For anyone thinking this experience will stop her baby making, I give you the final line in her story before talking about how good her god is.

"If it wasn’t for all that and the ensuing surgery that followed, I likely would not have survived another pregnancy."

Nothing stops a fundie woman determined to make babies on the regular. 

• Upvote 8
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • I Agree 5

35 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

Update from Chelsy on her blog. 

For anyone thinking this experience will stop her baby making, I give you the final line in her story before talking about how good her god is.

"If it wasn’t for all that and the ensuing surgery that followed, I likely would not have survived another pregnancy."

Nothing stops a fundie woman determined to make babies on the regular. 

And maybe if she had pursued regular dental care, which is less expensive than adding members to your family, none of this would have happened. She has been married for a few years, so she can not place blame for that neglect on anyone but herself.

• Upvote 7
  • Eyeroll 1

Chelsy's comments about almost surviving her latest pregnancy is why abortion needs to stay legal.  There I said it.

Edited by SPHASH
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 10

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Chelsy's comments about almost surviving her latest pregnancy is why abortion needs to stay legal.  There I said it.

Agreed. And if one is truly pro-life as opposed to pro- America’s #1 voter wedge issue/power/control over women, one would realize that an adult woman’s life, especially a mother’s life, should come before that of a developing, dependent being. A mother’s life or pregnant woman’s life is far more important to families, other children, spouses, society, the economy, hell even to politicians in the form of a voting body.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

In the context of saying she believes Madeline’s early arrival saved her life since some women with her condition die 30 minutes after childbirth, I actually think she meant that if a doctor hadn’t insisted on getting to the root cause of her situation, she would not have known another pregnancy and deliver could kill her. I don’t know enough about her condition to know if the most recent surgery changed that, and sounded like the cardiologist is still trying to figure that out. 

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, Dominionatrix said:

In the context of saying she believes Madeline’s early arrival saved her life since some women with her condition die 30 minutes after childbirth, I actually think she meant that if a doctor hadn’t insisted on getting to the root cause of her situation, she would not have known another pregnancy and deliver could kill her. I don’t know enough about her condition to know if the most recent surgery changed that, and sounded like the cardiologist is still trying to figure that out. 

I agree with this reading. I think she does mean she would have gotten pregnant again and then possibly died. Now, I don't think she is going to be completely done with kids. However, I don't feel that the blog conveyed this message. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

If doctors say she's healed, she will have #4 for sure (and #5 and even more). But if doctors say that the risk of dying is real, I bet they will stop. They can be fundie as F, but facing death changes everything. What makes me angry is their hypocrisy about birth control.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

So I don't consider myself to have a ton of medical knowledge and I know they say hindsight is 20/20; however, it seems to me that their was a lot of failure with Madeline's birth. It seems like they went to the hospital and doctors gave her fluids and just sent her home. Then, when they went back to the hospital John had to go find someone and insist something was wrong. 

Edited by ElizaB
  • Upvote 7
  • Love 1

19 minutes ago, ElizaB said:

So I don't consider myself to have a ton of medical knowledge and I know they say hindsight is 20/20; however, it seems to me that their was a lot of failure with Madeline's birth. It seems like they went to the hospital and doctors gave her fluids and just sent her home. Then, when they went back to the hospital John had to go find someone and insist something was wrong. 

I agree. But I also think Chelsy may have given a hint to why. She said she doesn’t show pain. I could definitely see that in a person who grew up with an Amish/Mennonite background. I’m betting she had to tough it out anytime she got hurt growing up. Since she wasn’t agonizing in pain and moaning and groaning, they may have thought she was in less pain than she was. When I had an extremely fast birth, they saw me flipping my shit. They believed I was in labor due to my yelling and moaning. But I still surprised them by how very quickly I dilated. Of course I think the staff didn’t take her seriously enough and I do think that’s their fault. But I also think Chelsy probably “looked ok” because she wasn’t going crazy in transition like most women without an epidural. I was a fucking disaster begging for an epidural 😬 I guess they are used to people like me!

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

I had to be extremely assertive in labor most of the time or make sure the OB had made very strict notes.  They usually tried to send me home.  Genetically I don't feel the contractions until around 7 cm.  It runs in the family.  Even then they aren't that bad.  Not usually enough even for me to grimace.  I tend to have one long contraction and go from 8 to 10.  I would always get asked how close my pains were and I'd have to tell them I wasn't having pain.  I would go I think my contractions are 5 minutes apart based on what I feel with my hands.  I would refuse to leave the triage area without being checked.  My husband would calmly go you need to believe she's in labor and act accordingly.  I am NOT delivering this child in the parking lot.  Then they'd fall all over themselves getting me to the right space because I was 6 to 7 cm.  Not everyone has a dreadful transition, but hospitals and nurses are not prepared for a peaceful, calm patient in active labor.  My daughter was at 8 with the granddaughter when she got to the hospital and the nurse said well you'll need to wait.  We don't have another birthing room.  Daughter said you need to check because if I'm right, we'll have a baby within an hour.  They moved someone out of a birthing room who wasn't going to deliver for hours.  

• Upvote 7
  • Love 4

@Coconut Flan, whoa! 
Precipitous labor is a thing. Two women I know each had their second baby in their living room because they couldn’t even make it to the car on time. One paisana of my grandmother’s was at a card party, and didn’t want to “embarrass” her MIL by saying she felt uncomfortable, so she went for a quick lie-down on the hostess’s bed, where she promptly gave birth on a pile of hats and coats. She nearly gave birth to her second baby in the produce aisle of the supermarket, but someone was able to call a cab for her on time. A colleague who was being admitted for her second birth got chided by the nurse for “being impatient” until she said, “Remember the gal who had a baby in the elevator here a few years ago? That was me!” By the time they got her on a gurney, she was crowning.

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

Well that all sounds very scary.  I'm glad Madalyn is ok and they figured out what was going on with Chelsy's health.

I'm also glad that having Melanie there with her was a comfort and help.  

That said, WTH are they both doing up close like that with no masks when they think Chelsy might have COVID? I mean, really?

• Upvote 10

1 hour ago, Hane said:

@Coconut Flan, whoa! 
Precipitous labor is a thing. Two women I know each had their second baby in their living room because they couldn’t even make it to the car on time. One paisana of my grandmother’s was at a card party, and didn’t want to “embarrass” her MIL by saying she felt uncomfortable, so she went for a quick lie-down on the hostess’s bed, where she promptly gave birth on a pile of hats and coats. She nearly gave birth to her second baby in the produce aisle of the supermarket, but someone was able to call a cab for her on time. A colleague who was being admitted for her second birth got chided by the nurse for “being impatient” until she said, “Remember the gal who had a baby in the elevator here a few years ago? That was me!” By the time they got her on a gurney, she was crowning.

I’ve said this before on FJ but the hospital staff seemed pleased I said #2 was our last baby. From my first contraction to birth was less than 2 hours. And that was me trying not to push because I wasn’t ready. They were thinking #3 could be even quicker than that.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

I labor.  I just don't feel it unless I keep my hands on the bump.  Then I can sort of time the contractions.  If I lose concentration on it, I'll miss some.  If no one had told me to do that or shown me how, all of mine would have been delivered at home.  I don't think it's truly precipitate labor as it does usually last longer than two to four hours.  I just don't feel it.  

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

So John's sisters came over to watch the boys while they went to the hospital.  They won't have that luxury anymore since Sarah, Anna, and Mary are off to college and getting married.

Edited by SPHASH
  • Upvote 6
  • Love 1

They have Steve and Terri, and church friends. They have the other young families. Melanie and Nathan have her family, as well as church friends. Anna Marie and Christopher have less help aside from Steve and Terri but they also clearly have her family willing and able to swoop in for any reason. I think ALL of the brothers are absolutely thrilled for their sisters. In my view, it was also a kindness, the SILs letting the aunts be such a vital role, it worked both ways. A mutual blessing. Not one of those brothers seem like they would have wanted to keep them home for help. 

• Upvote 3

• Coconut Flan locked this topic