IGNORED

John and Chelsy 9: Title Update: Baby Madeline Is Here 10 Weeks Early

nelliebelle1197

On 3/23/2022 at 11:43 AM, SPHASH said:

Would it be too much to pray to Rufus if the surgeon does a tubal ligation during surgery.  Because I'm worried the next pregnancy could kill her.

Only Rufus could manage to pull off  a tubal ligation during minimally invasive heart surgery. :)

On 3/23/2022 at 11:49 AM, MomJeans said:

And I don't understand how the truck was safely salvageable, given the damage described.  Repairs would have been seriously expensive, no? 

I read that as the truck was totaled. When that happens you can buy the remains back from the insurance company for the salvage value, if you want to try fixing it yourself with junkyard parts and what-all. I have totaled more than one car but never considered trying to get it repaired because you don't know what damage there is that you can't see. There could be cracks in the frame that would fail catastrophically and without warning.

Getting back to Chelsey's health, did she ever say anything before about being ill during her pregnancy? It really does sound like Covid and that could have caused the heart problem,  the Bell's Palsy, and her premature labor. She's very lucky she didn't have the most common side-effect from covid during pregnancy, which is a still-birth.

On a lighter note, has any grand-max ever looked more like Steve than Axton does?

Spoiler

image.png.be5940e6b29b24513dae39687862f66f.png

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 5
  • Rufus Bless 2
  • Haha 4
  • I Agree 2

I can't believe I'm saying that, but Chelsy is lucky to be living with Maxwells. At least, they visit real doctors and undergo real treatments. I'm scared to think what would happen to Allison if she or her baby were seriously ill.

The fact that Chelsy hadn't gone to the dentist in 10 years (4 of it, she was married) shows not only how cheap Bontragers are, but also how they neglect their children educaction and health and how this may impact future geenrations.

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Chelsy and John connected during a conversation about their speeding tickets, so irresponsible driving seems to be somewhat of a habit for both of them.

This thread painfully reminded me that I have to make a dentist appointment. I haven't been in 2 years and with the pregnancy in between I should really get a check up. Dentist appointments scare me a lot 😞

• Upvote 18

2 hours ago, ophelia said:

This thread painfully reminded me that I have to make a dentist appointment. I haven't been in 2 years and with the pregnancy in between I should really get a check up. Dentist appointments scare me a lot 😞

I also dislike the dentist.  However, after neglecting my oral health, I found a dentist who practices sedation Dentistry.  Anything other than a routine cleaning and I get meds so my anxiety is non-existant.  If it's a cleaning, I have a weighted blanket.  They are mindful of my physical issues (swallowing issues due to a stroke) and make sure I'm as comfortable as possible.  Plus, it's not any more expensive than the regular dentist.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 17

Apart from the obvious effects of not getting regular dental care--gum disease and halitosis--poor oral hygiene can cause heart problems. One of the first things a cardiologist asked me was how often I got my teeth cleaned. She was thrilled when I said "every 4 months" and said to her assistant, "wow, we don't hear that very often!" I explained that I was particularly prone to forming plaque no matter how often I brushed and flossed. She said, "keep it up" and went on to explain the apparent link between periodontal inflammation and bacterial endocarditis. I say apparent because correlation is not causation and people who don't take care of their teeth probably have other lifestyle issues, including poverty, that put them at  risk for heart disease.  

Edited by Black Aliss
  • Upvote 13
  • Thank You 2

Is anyone else curious about what got blackened out of John's shirt? Chelsy said they are involved in organizations that they don't like to publicize. I wonder what that could be. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, ElizaB said:

Is anyone else curious about what got blackened out of John's shirt? Chelsy said they are involved in organizations that they don't like to publicize. I wonder what that could be. 

I sorta assumed that the "thing" they are involved in has to do with John's work. Like another side business or a client that they don't want associated with their private life online?

It can't be THAT secret if he's running around in a shirt that has the name on it though.

(Maybe it's the name of the public school they are planning on sending their children to. 😂)

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 16

I don't care who you are or what you believe.. This is a LOT of medical stuff to be dealing with.  Then you add in a handful of small children and some medical complications with one of them.  I am glad Chelsy is getting the care they need.  I am glad they are prioritizing her health and getting multiple evaluations and taking the time to get it under control.  

Like others said she is a product of her upbringing.  Her family did not prioritize routine dental appointments.  I am sure routine child well visits were unheard of.  And I doubt they had full medical coverage.. So it makes sense that if she is not noticing any issues- her teeth look and feel clean enough to her... not to drop $200 on xrays and cleaning... Mama Bon may have been a lucky person and never had dental issues.. but like many of noted here pregnancy can be a tooth killer.. and Dental issues can be a direct link to other health issues.  Between having my son and then having my twins 2.5 years later I had to have ALL my metal fillings drilled out and refilled. (I was the toothbrushing queen with all the cavities growing up) It took over a year as he did it one quarter of my mouth at a time... I had a dental cleaning early in my pregnancy then arrived for my 6 month later appt.  They were all shocked I was still out and about with a high risk preg but more shocked that I had great gums and teeth given my history... That was when I learned how negatively it can actually affect women.  

Fingers crossed they are taking all this into account for their family and will prioritize routine everything for their children and themselves from here on out.  As for his shirt I assume he is contracting himself out and doesn't want all the inter-netters to know everything as some people like to put their nose where it is not their business.  

• Upvote 9

Two older women with mega families that we've followed on fj have lost all of their teeth: Jaynee Lockhart and Nicole Naugler.  They both had 11 or 12 kids and with no routine dental care while their bodies worked overtime growing one baby after the other and then had to have all their teeth extracted in their late 40s - early 50s.  I hate to think what their bone density scores are. 

I went to a dentist for years and got to know the hygienist pretty well in brief, pre-teeth cleaning conversations.  She was working on an MA and then PhD in public health and her entire thing was how decent dental care is a critical aspect of overall health and why the HELL is preventive dental care not an integral aspect of MediCare and all health insurance! 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 24
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 1

20 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

Apart from the obvious effects of not getting regular dental care--gum disease and halitosis--poor oral hygiene can cause heart problems. One of the first things a cardiologist asked me was how often I got my teeth cleaned. She was thrilled when I said "every 4 months" and said to her assistant, "wow, we don't hear that very often!" I explained that I was particularly prone to forming plaque no matter how often I brushed and flossed. She said, "keep it up" and went on to explain the apparent link between periodontal inflammation and bacterial endocarditis. I say apparent because correlation is not causation and people who don't take care of their teeth probably have other lifestyle issues, including poverty, that put them at  risk for heart disease.  

Going to the dentist for a cleaning every 4 months is the best thing I ever started doing and I wish I’d started doing it when I was a teenager. We didn’t have any extra $ or health insurance for most of my adult life and I’d been unintentionally traumatized by dental visits as a child/teen (would’ve been nice to know I was Autistic back then…) so I avoided the dentist for a solid decade and that was a terrible decision.

Many root canals and a couple implants later, I’ve learned my lesson and I really wish I’d known sooner that the cleanings aren’t as painful (or painful at all, eventually, at least for me) when you go more often!

Preventative dental care needs to be freely accessible to everyone, IMO. 

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

A recent study confirmed what many had long suspected: poor dental care is associated strongly with Alzheimer’s. My mother died of this after avoiding dentists for fifty years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 12
  • Love 5

I go to the dentist every 6 months. Both of my parents have a lot of fillings & they are metal. I have had a few but they aren’t metal so no one knows & the cavities I do have are on my back teeth. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Paperplate said:

It can't be THAT secret if he's running around in a shirt that has the name on it though.

(Maybe it's the name of the public school they are planning on sending their children to. 😂)

ooh, good one. I'm telling myself it says "BLM"

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 9

I've referenced this before, but if you're looking for a way to get your gums in great health: Aura Cacia lemongrass oil rinses. Runs about $6 a bottle and can be purchased at most high-end grocery stores.

A drop of lemongrass oil in sixish ounces of water and rinse your mouth with it daily for a week or two. It stings, but it works.

My gums were having problems, tons of soreness and bleeding, but I wanted to try and get them in some semblance of shape before heading to the dentist. I found the recommendation online, decided it was worth a shot, did it for two weeks prior to going and seeing the dentist, came out with a few cavities but a stellar bill of periodontal health.

I was so relieved because I too have heard the correlations between periodontal health and Alzheimer's.

• Thank You 5

I’m very lucky when it comes to my teeth because I’ve only had one cavity. But I wasn’t lucky in the braces department. Had them from sophomore year in high school until sophomore year in college. I felt like the only person my age with them still on. Everyone else got them off in high school at the latest. But my issues took forever to correct.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, ElizaB said:

The way I see it, it's one of two extremes: it's something super-fundie (or fundie-leaning political) that would disenfranchise his business clients, or else it's something mainstream (somebody mentioned hoping it's BLM) that would scandalize their fundie friends.

As for Chelsy's health...wow, that is a lot. Even the dental stuff is a hit, financially and emotionally. Since pregnancy with my daughter (who's now in elementary school) I've had multiple teeth break off while eating ordinary foods, another that needed a do-over on a filling and ended up a crown as there wasn't enough tooth left to save, and a few other close calls that might've turned into root canals but didn't. And I have had good oral care as well as twice-a-year cleanings and checkups literally my entire life. I can only imagine what a mess my mouth would be if I'd neglected that. And the heart issues are literally life-threatening, but I feel like the message that she's probably absorbed from fundie culture in general (and I feel like this would be her family's feeling as well, in part due to their fawning all over Steve for his vasectomy reversal at their WEDDING) is that a woman's only calling is motherhood, so if she dies while attempting to give life to yet another baby, then she's made a beautiful and honorable sacrifice.

I hope I'm wrong about that last part.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Bethy said:

And the heart issues are literally life-threatening, but I feel like the message that she's probably absorbed from fundie culture in general (and I feel like this would be her family's feeling as well, in part due to their fawning all over Steve for his vasectomy reversal at their WEDDING) is that a woman's only calling is motherhood, so if she dies while attempting to give life to yet another baby, then she's made a beautiful and honorable sacrifice.

I hope I'm wrong about that last part.

The Bontragers may very well feel that way, but I don't believe the Maxwell's do, especially this second generation of Maxwell's.  Chelsea is probably very lucky she married into that family where, despite all their other flaws, they do seem to value and respect doctors and their expertise.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 4
  • Love 1

My dentist recommended cleaning every 4 months but I‘m not gonna pay 4x up to 250 USD just for cleaning. Dental care is very expensive here and insurance doesn‘t cover it.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

Nana and Gramps have to be Becky and Marlin because there’s no way Steve or Teri could make anyone laugh. 

736F9573-8987-4199-B25B-80D8935FEFB5.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 9

I know this has been mentioned before but worth repeating...while Steve and Teri have spoken their appreciation for the medical staff handling Melanie's pregnancies and NR Anna's cancer and tend to take real medical advice from non-woo doctors they still denied Chris an opportunity to be an EMT because he might have had to work with a woman or see a boob.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 3

On 3/26/2022 at 10:19 AM, Bastet said:

A recent study confirmed what many had long suspected: poor dental care is associated strongly with Alzheimer’s. My mother died of this after avoiding dentists for fifty years. 

My father got ZERO dental care growing up, then had to have all teeth pulled in his 30s (he was in the military then & got dental care) and has dentures. Now he's in his 80s and has Alzheimers.

• Sad 1
  • Love 13

My insurance company covers an extra dental cleaning during pregnancy because of the extra demands pregnancy puts on your body. I had no idea until my hygienist offered to schedule an additional appointment. Good thing I did, too, because one of my fillings was starting to crack and they were able to catch it before it was an emergency!

• Upvote 7
  • Love 4

• Coconut Flan locked this topic