IGNORED

The Grabowski's Born With Albinism

Phoenix

A handful of days ago TLC tested the waters with yet another unusual family in the Grabowski crew. So far the family of nine with five adopted kids, four or whom were born with albinism has only gotten a trial balloon special. Not knowing much about the condition and finding the wide variety of humans on our planet interesting, I watched it. The kids are cute, the youngest daughter has already stolen the show and I am pretty darn sure the Grabowski family are fundies. Dad Jon works from home in the insurance industry. Mom Liz homeschools all five of the youngest kids. In a terribly worn out will they/won't they TLC trope Jon and Liz contemplate adopting just one more kid but decide no, they really are not interested in doing so. Yawn. Just replay every interview Jessa and Ben have done on the topic and you could practically cut and paste the dialogue.

Liz used a couple fundie words such as the children being such a "blessing" in their lives. Then in the middle of her serious and suspenseful talk with Jon about adopting just one more she stated she thought their "quiver" was complete. Homeschooling. Everybody at home together all the time. "Saving" outcast children from a different cultural background. A discussion about quivers. At that point I was scanning for bookshelves to see if they have any of the Pearl titles at home. 

TLC is keeping quiet on the Grabowski's faith background although I did find a "Distractify" article that quoted Jon and Liz talking about God's involvement in how they built their unique family. Otherwise I have not found anything definitive yet. 

Has anyone else watched the special? Thoughts? Snark? Perhaps some of our FJ sleuths might want to do a deeper dive? 

Why oh why can't TLC find interesting families who are not fundies? 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

*snip*

Because sane people and reality shows don't mix.

Edited by CaptainFunderpants
snipped like SM
  • Upvote 9
  • I Agree 13

5 hours ago, Phoenix said:

A handful of days ago TLC tested the waters with yet another unusual family in the Grabowski crew. So far the family of nine with five adopted kids, four or whom were born with albinism has only gotten a trial balloon special. Not knowing much about the condition and finding the wide variety of humans on our planet interesting, I watched it. The kids are cute, the youngest daughter has already stolen the show and I am pretty darn sure the Grabowski family are fundies. Dad Jon works from home in the insurance industry. Mom Liz homeschools all five of the youngest kids. In a terribly worn out will they/won't they TLC trope Jon and Liz contemplate adopting just one more kid but decide no, they really are not interested in doing so. Yawn. Just replay every interview Jessa and Ben have done on the topic and you could practically cut and paste the dialogue.

Liz used a couple fundie words such as the children being such a "blessing" in their lives. Then in the middle of her serious and suspenseful talk with Jon about adopting just one more she stated she thought their "quiver" was complete. Homeschooling. Everybody at home together all the time. "Saving" outcast children from a different cultural background. A discussion about quivers. At that point I was scanning for bookshelves to see if they have any of the Pearl titles at home. 

TLC is keeping quiet on the Grabowski's faith background although I did find a "Distractify" article that quoted Jon and Liz talking about God's involvement in how they built their unique family. Otherwise I have not found anything definitive yet. 

Has anyone else watched the special? Thoughts? Snark? Perhaps some of our FJ sleuths might want to do a deeper dive? 

I watched it too and I was trying to figure out if they were conservative Christians or if they were fundie. The oldest son who came home with his punk looking wife had me very intrigued. They were the only ones without a talking head. Interesting. When I watched, I was thinking, “I wish TLC only did family reality tv in just one offs like this and not a reoccurring show.” Doing a one off is much less harmful in my opinion. At least they took the pandemic somewhat seriously. 

PS: I HATED the talking heads with all 5 kids wearing white, on a white couch, and a full white background. We get it! They have albinism and they are very light skinned with light hair! It just made me sort of sad for the only girl without albinism. She must feel sort of left out at times.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2

Anybody who talks about having quiver is fundie imo.

• I Agree 9

Man, did she take that “I wish I had a brother” comment and run with it or what?

TLC has yet another show exploiting children? Color me surprised! /s

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

16 hours ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

Because sane people and reality shows don't mix.

I have an acquaintance who is a devout Mormon and when TLC was in their *families with at least a dozen kids* phase she received correspondence inviting them to be a highlighted family since they had over a dozen kids.. ( I think their family was complete at the time-16 kids)... she laughed and tore that up!  Said there was NO WAY that she would EVER invite that drama into her world!  There was no amount of money they could offer her to take that offer..  she was not crazy!  

• Upvote 12
  • Sad 1

Just now, NoseyNellie said:

I have an acquaintance who is a devout Mormon and when TLC was in their *families with at least a dozen kids* phase she received correspondence inviting them to be a highlighted family since they had over a dozen kids.. ( I think their family was complete at the time-16 kids)... she laughed and tore that up!  Said there was NO WAY that she would EVER invite that drama into her world!  There was no amount of money they could offer her to take that offer..  she was not crazy!  

Not only would I never do reality tv, but I would never have a YouTube channel or even a public blog. I’ve also told my children they will never be allowed to have a YouTube channel while underage. At 18, they can make that choice for themselves. But not until then. I would never want public exposure like that for my kids. Privacy is highly valued in our house. 

• Upvote 6

I had an acquaintance, another homeschooling mom, who was contacted by TLC, too. She had eleven kids. I was actually a little surprised that she turned them down because she was (and still is) a complete attention-seeking phony. My daughter was friends with one of her daughters and spent time at their house, where the mom did nothing but post on social media all day, the kids fought constantly, and the daughter wasn’t quite a sister mom but had way too many household responsibilities.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 6

10 hours ago, Jasmar said:

I had an acquaintance, another homeschooling mom, who was contacted by TLC, too. She had eleven kids. I was actually a little surprised that she turned them down because she was (and still is) a complete attention-seeking phony. My daughter was friends with one of her daughters and spent time at their house, where the mom did nothing but post on social media all day, the kids fought constantly, and the daughter wasn’t quite a sister mom but had way too many household responsibilities.

Isn’t it interesting how so many fundie homeschool families can be contacted by TLC yet they still haven’t contacted Jill Rod? TLC loves drama hot mess reality tv yet they won’t touch Jill Rod. It’s kind of funny to me. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Isn’t it interesting how so many fundie homeschool families can be contacted by TLC yet they still haven’t contacted Jill Rod? TLC loves drama hot mess reality tv yet they won’t touch Jill Rod. It’s kind of funny to me. 

Even for TLC, a family with very thin children is not a good look. 

• Upvote 7