IGNORED

Maxwell 48: The Maxwellhood of the Traveling Vest

Coconut Flan

23 hours ago, thoughtful said:

You beat me to it. But I can contribute a video:

It's also in a lot of literature:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_flesh_is_grass

Thanks for this! German Requiem is one of my favorite pieces both to play and to listen to, and the second movement is my favorite movement. I cannot wait until full orchestras can be on stage with a chorus again. The pandemic has wiped out all such performances. 

• Love 4

On 5/28/2021 at 7:31 AM, clese said:

Pants!!!

That's all I came here to say..

I didn’t even notice the pants until I came here. I was too distracted by that horrid amount of plastic for that mulch. Where I live, if you want that much mulch, it is delivered in a large bag that is returned to the vendor to be re used. We have a bag as tall as me sitting on the driveway full of mulch as I type this. The bag will be returned when it’s empty to be refilled and reused. All that plastic for that mulch is wasteful and breaks my heart.

Doesn’t the bible say something about not polluting the land where you live?

• Upvote 14
  • I Agree 3

The pants thing with Nathan (and him in shorts!) and his family is interesting. 

No matter what people wear, their horrid beliefs don't seem to change. So normally, I don't put a lot of stock in fundie girls who start wearing pants beyond it being an interesting development. 

But - in this case, it's a very clear indication of Steve's reach being shortened. He had an iron tight grip on all his offspring. Even as the boys (not the girls, only the boys, as we all know) got married and made godly babies with their wives. All those boys toed the line, tightly.

Now, in the last year or so? Jess moved to the other side of Kansas City to live in a rented apartment, having sold his debt free home in the neighborhood compound.

Joe & Elissa also moved to the other side of Kansas City, and there is no way they bought that house without a mortgage - and they sold their debt free home in the neighborhood compound to do it. 

The OfNathans may still live across the street, but all the girls are wearing jeans and capris. And he himself is wearing shorts. 

John's wife has always worn pants to some extent and picked up her 2 legged, lower body garment game after marriage. 

Al very minor things in the real world. In fact, so minor as to be basically irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. 

But, in Steve's world? Huge. F*cking huge. 

Four of his five sons have made choices that are not his choices. Four of his five sons have chosen to live their lives as they see fit, not as Steve sees fit. 

Also, 3 of those 4 sons do not work for a family business. Two (John, Joseph) started their very own businesses; the lord has apparently not seen fit to "bring them home" like he did Steve. They ahve to work with the general population and cannot pretend to be god's voice on earth because they have real customers with real needs and they will not have a job if they don't serve those customers. Jesse works for Joe, but seemingly as an employee, not a stacked family member in a family business.

Nathan only gets partial points for that, because he has CCI - which was daddy's business and umbrella business for all other ventures. Even if Steve has nothing to do with it anymore, Nathan still did not start a business on his own or go out and get a job. 

Then we have Chris. Chris, the one who makes me think of Don Jr. So desperate for daddy's love and praise, he toes the line and then some. His job is for his brother's business; unlike Jesse, who actually participates in the real business world, Chris is clearly there for the sake of being employed He isn't a Magento guy or ecommerce guy - he's the brother that needs a job. OK, maybe it's not crystal clear, but it sure seems that way to me. Because he has tried (and failed) at so many other ways to "have his own business". Photography? Not at all where his talent lies, even if he does do one job a year. What was that one IT venture he tried to get going - where we all talked about the formatting, etc? 411? 911? Who knows; just another venture that did not succeed. He's also married to the fundiest of wives and his kids have well defined gender roles - Joshua gets to learn to "work" with grandpa while the girls have auntie's playtime in the Fathership backyard and wear dresses over their snowpants. 

I repeat that I do not think any of these things have actually changed the person - Joe & Jesse still follow the tRumps and Candace Owens and Hannity on Twitter; they still have horrid beliefs and would take away your right to...well, just about anything....vote, procreate, not procreate, dare to love someone not within their requirements, dare to be someone who doesn't fall into their personal gender definitions, dare to be an educated, working female....all the same shit. 

But, outwardly, in those things that don't matter at all to normal people and are, in fact, things most normal people expect their offspring to do - move out, get a job, buy a house, et - they have stepped out from Steve's death grip on their existence and lives. 

That has to absolutely kill Steve. Like, eat him away from the inside out because these boys he did everything to isolate, mold, shape, brainwash  - well, they've gone out into the world and made choices for themselves, their income source and their families that are not the same choices Steve would make - or have them make.

• Upvote 29
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 2

9 hours ago, Eclipse said:

I didn’t even notice the pants until I came here. I was too distracted by that horrid amount of plastic for that mulch. Where I live, if you want that much mulch, it is delivered in a large bag that is returned to the vendor to be re used. We have a bag as tall as me sitting on the driveway full of mulch as I type this. The bag will be returned when it’s empty to be refilled and reused. All that plastic for that mulch is wasteful and breaks my heart.

Doesn’t the bible say something about not polluting the land where you live?

Here you would just have a truck dump it on a tarp in your driveway (or street next to your house) and then cove it with another tarp/sheet of plastic. You do the same to have a large amount of rock/gravel/sand delivered. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

In today’s blog post Terri gave us a new term— the Leavenworth Maxwells. Hard, hard agree with what’s said above; Joe and Jesse selling those debt-free, Maxwell-rehabbed homes was a big big deal and a shift has happened. 

Re: Chris’ work, he and Joshua have been doing some lawn service stuff the past year or two and that really, really fits the MaxBrand. Think of how many non-Maxwell “testimonies” we’ve been given of young men buying a home after starting a home business by early teen years. 

• Upvote 15

Melanie appears to wearing jeans and the ABC girls look like they are all wearing denim capris. That is interesting to me since they are clearly wearing them with Steve and Teri present, not just when they aren't around. 

• Upvote 13

1 hour ago, fundiewatch said:

In today’s blog post Terri gave us a new term— the Leavenworth Maxwells. Hard, hard agree with what’s said above; Joe and Jesse selling those debt-free, Maxwell-rehabbed homes was a big big deal and a shift has happened. 

Re: Chris’ work, he and Joshua have been doing some lawn service stuff the past year or two and that really, really fits the MaxBrand. Think of how many non-Maxwell “testimonies” we’ve been given of young men buying a home after starting a home business by early teen years. 

As if the other family members - her visiting family relatives - are Maxwells who happen to live elsewhere. They are not Maxwells at all. Gigi is not a Maxwell either.

Unless, of course, she was again isolating her immediate family relatives and referring to Chris & Nathan and their families as Leavenworth Maxwells? Was John there with his family? He lives in Leavenworth. If he wasn't there, not all the Leavenworth Maxwells were present. 

Joe & Jessie and their families are the Olathe Maxwells. 

Maxhell, no matter where, is confusing as hell. 

They have the most ridiculous ways of wording things. 

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1

21 hours ago, louannems said:

My daughter was also a sturdy, stout girl from her toddlerhood.  Once we were at an outdoor BBQ and my parents, several siblings, and lots of kids were there.  Someone set out a big bowl of potato chips and all the kids gathered around, taking handfuls.

When my daughter, age 12, went to grab a handful too, my dad said "Are you sure you should eat those?  Look at yourself".  She is still humiliated and angry about his unkind remarks 20 years later.  And I'm angry at myself for not standing up to my extremely patriarchal, domineering father and telling him he has no right to criticize my daughter.

Try not to beat yourself up about it. My beloved, late dad and other men of that generation just seemed to get by with saying lousy things while the women – – even scrappy Lutheran feminists  – just shrugged it off rather than start a big fight.

And a daughter is just less likely to tell her father off. But anyway, here’s a story for you, hopefully it will make you feel better.

My dad’s family were named Jones. He was the only tall slender person in the sibling group. All his sisters were “5 x 5,” as they put it, more or less. My mom, likewise, was tall and slim and we kids all turned out pretty much the same.

Except that, by age 50, I had put on about 30 pounds. My dad scoffed at me, “How much do you weigh?! Your mother never got that fat!“

To which I replied, “My mother wasn’t a Jones girl.”

My dad said, “Huh, yes: you’ve got a point!”

And he never mentioned my weight again.  He passed away a few months later, G-d rest his outspoken soul. ❤️ 

• Upvote 5
  • Love 9

4 hours ago, fundiefan said:

Nathan only gets partial points for that, because he has CCI - which was daddy's business and umbrella business for all other ventures. Even if Steve has nothing to do with it anymore, Nathan still did not start a business on his own or go out and get a job. 

IIRC Nathan was commuting to work in KC when he was in his late teens-early twenties.  IIRC someone who worked with him posted here and said he was pretty arrogant about his beliefs.

He's also married to the fundiest of wives and his kids have well defined gender roles - Joshua gets to learn to "work" with grandpa while the girls have auntie's playtime in the Fathership backyard and wear dresses over their snowpants. 

I wonder what Ruthie and Lydia think of their Aunt Melanie and cousins wearing pants. Wearing skirts over snowpants is one of the top 10 WTF moments in Maxhell along with coloring Bethy's belly at her baptism.  I should make a list of WTF moments in Maxhell.

Edited by SPHASH
eta
  • Upvote 13

Then we have Chris. Chris, the one who makes me think of Don Jr. So desperate for daddy's love and praise, he toes the line and then some. His job is for his brother's business; unlike Jesse, who actually participates in the real business world, Chris is clearly there for the sake of being employed He isn't a Magento guy or ecommerce guy - he's the brother that needs a job. OK, maybe it's not crystal clear, but it sure seems that way to me. Because he has tried (and failed) at so many other ways

I am retelling the story of what one of the sages said about a person who feels a call to medical service but rejects it as a career – – that that person has sinned terribly.

Chris wanted to be a paramedic but all-important Daddy forbade it. Steve is more culpable in this situation that is his son, in my opinion. He has sinned terribly by preventing Christopher from pursuing a career that would enable him to save and improve lives.

Instead,He supports a wife and six children… how? Not as well, as he would have, working in emergency medicine. And with far less stability. 

I am also restating why I think his photography is so terrible – – whether he knows it or not, he didn’t want to make a living as a photographer. He wanted to make a living being of service to others, True Service. Daddy-boy squelched all that.

Steve seems to know where he’s going when he dies – – I wonder if he’s prepared for the interview he’s going to get when he gets there*.

* Just joking. I have less than no idea of what happens after we die.   I believe certain things, but that’s not knowing

• Upvote 15
  • Move Along 1
  • I Agree 1

On 5/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, MamaJunebug said:

To modesty: All this b.s. about causing a brother to stumble got me wondering how close that is to anyhthing that's actually in the Bible.  So I did a concordance search of "stumble" online and most of the verses have nothing to do with dresses, or male responses to seeing a female.

An awful lot of the verses refer to Jesus of Nazareth as the "stumbling block" for people who refuse to believe He was true God and true man.  

OVERWROUGHT GENERALIZATION HERE: Fundies muck up everything, but especially at s*x. That is all.

I'm reading "Pure" by Linda Kay Klein, and that's a point she makes: the "stumbling block" of the Bible isn't sexual temptation at all. It's used in the context of eating and drinking, and is basically saying "don't do stuff that offends people right in front of them, like drinking wine or eating meat." Elsewhere in Paul's epistles, he says it's perfectly fine to eat meat offered to idols, or to drink wine, because that's not what the Gospel is about. So Paul's basically saying "Be chill about stuff, but if someone isn't being chill, don't go out of your way to offend them." This whole "women's bare legs are a stumbling block!" is made up.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

On 5/31/2021 at 8:22 AM, smittykins said:

So what do the Maxgrands wear when they swim?

It looks like the Maxgrands wear something along the lines of scuba diving wetsuits and clothes specially designed for swimming (like shirts). I don't think I have seen them wear Wholesome Wear like the Duggars and Bates do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

Notice that Mr Tammi is the one holding the umbrella, sheltering Gigi. Stevie of course has to be next to Teri.

This must be the first time in years that Aunt Tammi has been seen. She used to wish the children and reversals a happy birthday in the blog comments, but this stopped or Stevie didn’t approve them.

• Upvote 12
  • Thank You 2

Doesn't look like Anna and Mary were there.  Did they go on their annual mystery mission trip?

• Upvote 9

5 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

I am retelling the story of what one of the sages said about a person who feels a call to medical service but rejects it as a career – – that that person has sinned terribly.

Chris wanted to be a paramedic but all-important Daddy forbade it. Steve is more culpable in this situation that is his son, in my opinion. He has sinned terribly by preventing Christopher from pursuing a career that would enable him to save and improve lives.

Instead,He supports a wife and six children… how? Not as well, as he would have, working in emergency medicine. And with far less stability. 

I am also restating why I think his photography is so terrible – – whether he knows it or not, he didn’t want to make a living as a photographer. He wanted to make a living being of service to others, True Service. Daddy-boy squelched all that.

Steve seems to know where he’s going when he dies – – I wonder if he’s prepared for the interview he’s going to get when he gets there*.

* Just joking. I have less than no idea of what happens after we die.   I believe certain things, but that’s not knowing

He isn't making his living primarily off of his photography. The photography seems to be a hobby business. I'm not sure he does more weddings than are published on the blog. I think he believe he's a master photographer without much to learn. 

Christopher works for his brother Joseph's company Swift Otter. Joe's business Swift Otter seems to booming as they're always hiring.

EMTs is a very rigorous job with lots of stress and risks involved. There's a good chance he wouldn't have made it as EMT.

I agree with you that Steve should let all of his children decide what careers are right for them.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Doesn't look like Anna and Mary were there.  Did they go on their annual mystery mission trip?

I don’t think so. Sarah would surely have posted about it, asking for prayers or something, if they had. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

You know, I hate to say this and you guys are going to pick on me for saying it, but Steve really looks happy and engaged playing with the grandkids on the floor. I mean, my mom has never once engaged with my kids the way Teri and Steve engage, and Steve looks particularly happy.

Too bad he is such a controlling dick.

• Upvote 14

I’m sure Steve is way more fun with his grandkids than he ever was with his kids. I wonder if the grown kids notice. My mom plays with my sons all the time but she hates sitting on the floor. She much prefers playing games at the table. 

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, Talitha Cumi said:

I'm reading "Pure" by Linda Kay Klein, and that's a point she makes: the "stumbling block" of the Bible isn't sexual temptation at all. It's used in the context of eating and drinking, and is basically saying "don't do stuff that offends people right in front of them, like drinking wine or eating meat." Elsewhere in Paul's epistles, he says it's perfectly fine to eat meat offered to idols, or to drink wine, because that's not what the Gospel is about. So Paul's basically saying "Be chill about stuff, but if someone isn't being chill, don't go out of your way to offend them." This whole "women's bare legs are a stumbling block!" is made up.

YES! You have to work SO HARD and cherry-pick SO MUCH to get to where a two-legged garment on a woman is truly a stumbling block, but fundies know that phrase is the trump card and they use it a lot. (Anybody remember the Harris brothers' infamous Modesty Survey of 2007? Practically every question on there was phrased as "Is [insert perfectly normal garment here] a stumbling block?" and every fundie maiden knows there's a Bible verse that says not to put a stumbling block in front of her brother so if there were a high percentage of yesses...the sheep all had to follow.) Whereas when Jesus was actually talking about a man having a lust problem the answer proposed was "Your eye is causing you to sin? Pluck it out."

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, SPHASH said:

They may not be going on one this year because of COVID. The Maxwell's keep the location a secret, so it is possible they go out of the country for said mission trip. It's, also, possible that they are waiting until a little later in the year for when more restrictions are lifted for travel. Plus, the Maxwell's mentioned Gigi got vaccinated. It's very possible they are waiting for Anna and Mary to be fully vaccinated before letting them go on one, even within the U.S. So, the mission trip may still happen this year.

• Upvote 6

So I was thinking about Melanie/her girls and the pants. Do you think: 

A.) They just started wearing pants

B.) They've always worn pants but just starting wearing them around Teri and Steve. 

C.) They've always worn them around Teri and Steve and they are usually just cropped out of the blog. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

EMTs is a very rigorous job with lots of stress and risks involved. There's a good chance he wouldn't have made it as EMT.

I agree with you that Steve should let all of his children decide what careers are right for them.

Your point is well made. I just have to think that 21-year-old Chris could’ve done it. 
Ah, well, water under the bridge. 
Doesn’t really apply here, but I recently read that Emma Thompson famously said of her eventual good relationship with the woman who stole Emma’s husband, “Blood under the bridge.”  Heh. 

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Your point is well made. I just have to think that 21-year-old Chris could’ve done it. 
Ah, well, water under the bridge. 
Doesn’t really apply here, but I recently read that Emma Thompson famously said of her eventual good relationship with the woman who stole Emma’s husband, “Blood under the bridge.”  Heh. 

I believe that was Helena Bonham Carter and it was a very long time ago. They’ve both remarried since. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they had to work together. I don’t think they worked together on Harry Potter. But I watch a lot of British tv and movies and they all seem to work together at some point. British actors seem to be a smaller pool than American actors. 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I believe that was Helena Bonham Carter and it was a very long time ago. They’ve both remarried since. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they had to work together. I don’t think they worked together on Harry Potter. But I watch a lot of British tv and movies and they all seem to work together at some point. British actors seem to be a smaller pool than American actors. 

Indeed, it was HBC. And IMHO Emma traded WaY WAY up by marrying Mr. Willoughby (I’ll DuckDuckGo  to find the actor’s name if it doesn’t naturally occur to my aging brain). ETA: Greg Wise! The actor is Greg Wise. 

He’s the Great Value Rufus Sewell, to me, and I don’t mind Great Value brand a bit. 

Rufys Sewell AND Emma’s guy Greg Wise ... I’m heading to the Prayer Closet, Cell L for *L*u*s*t*!!!

Edited by MamaJunebug
  • Upvote 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Indeed, it was HBC. And IMHO Emma traded WaY WAY up by marrying Mr. Willoughby (I’ll DuckDuckGo  to find the actor’s name if it doesn’t naturally occur to my aging brain). ETA: Greg Wise! The actor is Greg Wise. 

He’s the Great Value Rufus Sewell, to me, and I don’t mind Great Value brand a bit. 

Rufys Sewell AND Emma’s guy Greg Wise ... I’m heading to the Prayer Closet, Cell L for *L*u*s*t*!!!

MJB, you keep mentioning DuckDuckGo. You know it has a far-right bias and the alt-right has been manipulating its algorithms and data void to push user to right leaning results? It's been going on for a while. You might want to look up info about the engine using a different browser.

Edited by nelliebelle1197
  • Upvote 1
  • Thank You 7

• Coconut Flan locked this topic